Super detailing the cutter Sherbourne, a guide to building the Caldercraft kit, by George Bandurek.

I published this book in 2011 and at the time there were several threads that showed photos of my build. These are not now easily accessible so I have resurrected some of the information. The attached pdf files are extracts from the book that show how I tackled some of the topics.

I would welcome any comments on these extracts, or if you have bought a copy of the book (thank you!) then please post a review.

More information on the book is available on my website www.grbsolutions.co.uk. Buy direct and you will get a signed copy!

George Bandurek

post-8366-0-77151900-1384636176_thumb.jpg

Shrouds.pdf

Sails MB.pdf

Cannon.pdf

Anchors.pdf

George Bandurek

Near the coast in Sussex, England

Current build: HMS Whiting (Caldercraft Ballahoo with enhancements)

Previous builds: Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft) and many non-ship models

Great to see you re-posting these, George. Thanks very much -- they really will be a help to the Sherbourne (and other) builders!

Tony

My copy is in the post from Amazon.. it was Tony (tkay11 above) who put me onto it !  Just got a message saying it should be arriving in next day or two.. am looking forward to ripping the package open :)

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 2 years later...

George,

Probably the best tutorials I have seen to date including other sites and u-tube. Simple, plain, excellent photos, so even an idiot like myself would understand. Wish I had this when I started my HMS Victory build in 2013.

Placing this one in favorites. Very nice.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

• 1 month later...

Very nice book! Very useful and also a bit af a collectors item ;) I'm going to use it building the Lady Nelson, which is a kind of similar cutter. I first have to finish the Swift 1805, though.

currently: master korabel Schooner Polotsk

finished: the Swift 1805, the Lady Nelson

on the shelf: US Brig Syren, Le Renard and the Hermione

The cannon technique is REALLY clever, hats off to you! I'm totally going to use this method in the future. I'm too cheep to mail order decent cannons and the only time I had to replicate cannons was on my cutter Le Renard. The kit came with carronnades only and I wanted two long gun bow chasers, which I carved. Had I known this clever technique of yours I would have had an easier time of it AND the two guns would match better than they do now. Thanks for the tip!

Niagara USS Constitution 

• 5 years later...

Ten years after writing Super detailing the cutter Sherbourne I see things in it which I would now do a little differently and some which would require a lot more time. It remains a guide for a beginner who wants to add more detail to a starter kit and it avoids major surgery and expenditure on new components. I have no plans to create a second edition because, despite retiring from real work, I simply do not have the time. 

I have had a few emails recently which ask if the book is still available and the short answer is yes. I have copies at home and can post them to you. The sales through Model Dockyard have stopped, now that Nick Tonkin has retired, but he passed on his remaining stock to Cornwall Model Boats. They are now down to zero, but if you prefer to buy from them then apply a little pressure and they should restock from me. 

Happy new year - 2022

George

George Bandurek

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, George. It was a very useful book for me as it started me thinking about how to make the kit better. This led to very good discussions with others who were building the Sherbourne. As you say, whether, with hindsight, there are things you'd like to change, it is a guide for the beginner, and the only one I know of that puts it all together in one piece.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a copy in November of 2021, which took a while to swim the Atlantic (due shipping delays) to reach the Eastern shores of the US. Note: it was posted in a day or so of purchase and I was emailed tracking info as well. So it is still possible to get a copy. It is a good read so far and has the feel of build log one might read here but with better prose and diagrams (also with less comments ;) ). The author was kind enough to autograph the tome as well! (George, thanks again!)  I like to think we all will improve with a decade or so of practice and reflection! 

Eric,

Thank you for your kind words about my book. I am relieved that it reached you eventually and I can only guess at the causes of the delays - Covid and Father Christmas? 

Best wishes,

George

George Bandurek