Half Moon by maggsl_01 - FINISHED - Corel - 1:50 - First wooden modelship

Hello Drake,

indeed I used some nails for the first planking... I also soaked the planks, bent them to the right line and dried them with a hair-dryer. The I glued them with carpenters glue, using pins and nails to fasten them. After filling the gaps and sanding I removed all nails as they were only needed until the planks were fitted. I am not sure if I will do this again with my next model. And yes, I spend quite much time on the Half Moon, but it is so much satisfying to see the ship grow more and more. Now the rigging is to be done...

Cheerio

:10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hello my fellow friends...

I finished the masts - and now will start the great adventure with ropes, lines and a lot of Fittings... also called rigging :bird-vi:

But I admit that the building up to now is not as difficult as I expected. I thought there would be much more problems but everything became good.  I had so much fun and joy and relaxing moments - and the few problems were great to find solutions. I learned so much about modelling - not only put some parts together but more and more create the model. Ist amazing, great and really fulfilling. I promise - the Half Moon will not stay alone in my living room... At the moment I feel dashing to build the Derfflinger by Euro Models as next model... Has anyone any expierence with this model?

Well - the bowsprit is glued, he foremast also. I will do like Popeye recommended: From bow to stern and starting with the standing rig.

Cheerio

Max :10_1_10:

post-7014-0-26389700-1391120760_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-80836800-1391120770_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-99520200-1391120779_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-73294300-1391120789_thumb.jpg

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

Thx all :D

@bindy: Yes my dear friend... the progress is so cute...  every step you take you reach a new aim... and it works out so really really satisfying - in a deep and content matter. I love this kind of modelling even more. BTW... on Saturday I will visit the worlds biggest toy fair in Nuremberg, where ALL manufactures will show their products an novelties - perhaps there are really novelties and I can take some pics... If - I will show them

@nazgul; I like your nickname... remembers me the one and only book and movie in the world. And  I love sweden - even if I have not been there yet. I did a lot of plastic modelling before - but this kind of building is much better than all I know

Cheerio

and Skoll :D

Nothing better than a cold beer after a day of work and fun

Edited by maggsl_01

Hi Max

Great work and a commendable first build.When hooked you will find this hobby very rewarding but also very challenging.The only thing regarding Euromodel's kits is that you require the experience to be able to plan your build.Ultimately you are working to drawings,and whilst I know Peter is doing his best to supplement the very modest instructions,the order of works is down to you.I dare say you will get help on this forum,it is a shame there isn't a Defflinger log for you to follow.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thx Nigel..

and yes: the challenge is what I am looking for. So I think Derfflinger COULD be the right choice, as I would like to konw more about Euro Model. But perhaps I should continue with something else like the Astrolabe or CalderCrafts Endeavour - both are on my wishlist (like Fregatte Berlin and Wappen von Hamburg by Corel). OMG - so many decisions... :D :D :D

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

I have no doubt Euromodel's Defflinger will give you a challenge.There is one option if you can afford it and that is to buy the kit and assess for yourself if you have the confidence to start building,if not,then you could always buy a simpler kit to act as a stepping stone.The quality of the materials,plans and fittings is amongst the best on the market,it is purely the lack of comprehensive instructions that make things harder.Another point is that their kits do not come with a mountain of precut plywood parts,you are expected to make items out of the solid wood provided.I personally replace any precut plywood parts that are visible with solid wood,so I don't mind.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

you started!!!!   I knew you couldn't wait :D :D :D    looks very good.......do what works best for you and take your time.  there is one rule though regarding rigging...........taught,  but not tight ;)   very nice indeed!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello again my friends :10_1_10:

just a Little update. I started with the standing rigg now... the stay from bowsprit to foremast (foremast-stay... not sure if this is the correct term). The instructions could be a Little more detailled, but I think the more you understand what the ropes are made for the easier it will be to follow the plan. Next will be the shrouds on the foremast... I am curious... :D Pls comment when you see any discrepancy in the rigging. I want to improve my knowledge and techniques always...

Thats it for the Moment... next update will come soon (after the shrouds... obviously in two weeks or two years :D)

Happy modelling to all

:pirate41:

Max

post-7014-0-31832900-1391368534_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-82336400-1391368546_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-41274000-1391368557_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-91234000-1391368567_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-24425600-1391368579_thumb.jpg

looks very good Max.........I'm not an expert with this era of rigging.   it does look like one line is a bit fouled on the spirit boom.......one appears to be wrapped around another.   if you chose to correct this,  be sure not to put too much stress on the second step of the mast.  the shrouds and back stays are going to pull back on the mast,  and may put undo stress on the bow spirit.  are there to be any spirit stays?   I should look at my rigging sheet for the Billing's Half Moon,  and see if they do.

your doing a super job!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi all... :10_1_10:

just a little update: I started the shrouds on the foremast... it works out quite good... there is tension, but not too much, the deadeyes weren't that difficult as I thought. For every side it took about 1,5 hrs all in all. Now I am wondering if I should color the ropes.  I see in almost every model that the stays and shrouds are black. Perhaps I should do this too. I would use black stain - usually for wood, but a test had a really good result on the ropes. Whats your opinion?

Thx - cu soon

Max

post-7014-0-85738500-1391515585_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-13905000-1391515611_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-59171600-1391515637_thumb.jpg

shrouds look super Max!    very well done  :)   did you stain the dead eyes,  or did they come that color?   sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thx Popeye...

the deadeyes are originally like in teh kit ... no changes...

:)

Hello Max,

a real Little Beauty is being created under your Hands, lovely build!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi all

another little update... the rigging needs ist time... it is not as difficult as I thought, but to tie the knots and to keep everything under tension - but not to much - is quite tricky. I decided to color the standing rigging in black as it is seen on many pictures of origins and models. The shrouds of the foremast are almost ready, on one side I did the ropes connecting the shrouds (sorry did not find the english word, in german it is "webleinen"). I read that this ropes were used in a way like rope ladders to climb up the mast. So there should not be too much tension... hmmm... but I am not sure if I like the result as it is now. I used knot on every junction, perhaps the second side I will only tie the rope to the shrouds - without knots... perhaps this will look more as I want.  Any suggestions, tips or comments (pls be honest) are welcome :D

Thats it for today... my ship calls me

Cheerio

Max

:piratebo5:

post-7014-0-11816600-1391869912_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-34780400-1391869921_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-58870400-1391869977_thumb.jpg

Edited by maggsl_01

Max black is a good color for the rigging and one I use often.  The reason these lines are black and running lines are tan is because the standing rigging doesn't move and is constantly exposed to the weather.  To protect the lines from wearing out they would cover them with tar and sap which turned them black.  The running lines on the other hand need to move through block and tackle and tar would gunk them up so they were left as is.  As the lines wore out they would have to replace them.  Which is why they keep big coils of rope below decks.  

Great work on your model she's really beautifully done.  

Thx Anja... Get a red shine on my Face...

But its true... I love the ship and the work with it...

This hobby is GREAT

Cheerio

Max

glad to hear your having fun...........it show quite well,  by the way your build looks  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Howdy :D

Well, just another update. The Standing rigging of the foremast is done; now its on the mainmast. But I am learning :) As it was quite tricky to fix the deadeyes and the shrouds on the upper foremast - the mast was already fixed on the deck - I decided to do the shrouds on the upper mainmast BEFORE Fixing the mast. So I could work slow and accurate and fastened in a vice. It was absolutely NO Problem to build it all up although the holes in the 3mm-deadeyes are NOT very comfortable :pirate41:

After this I build up the three-hole-blocks for the stay and then I fixed the mast on the deck. *haha* everything works fine - and still it is a really funny and enjoyable job. Still wonder what I will do next :D

Astrolabe... Gulnara...Derfflinger...Amphion... or the Caldercraft Endeavour... NEED HELP :dancetl6:

Thats it for today, next part will follow (soon)

Cheerio

Max :piratetongueor4:

post-7014-0-75953800-1392282214_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-37713400-1392282224_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-85878600-1392282233_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-63708500-1392282243_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-35641500-1392282253_thumb.jpg

Hello again... another little update, mostly pics

I do the standing rigging at the mainmast, all works out very fine. The shrouds are taut - but not too much. The ratlines...hmmm... a not so much exciting job, I will do tomorrow. After this I will color the standing rigging black as I did with the foremast. I prepared the yards  too but I am a little bit disappointed by the results. The wood (Ramin) is not so good to be used on a lathe... I think I will buy some oak or beech - if I can get it in a fitting diameter, If anyone has got an idea what Wood the best is for yards... pls tell me.

well - thats it for today

to be continued :D

Cheerio

Max

btw... besides of modelling another important passion for me is photography... so I tried out some perspectives and differnet light situations :)

post-7014-0-66894500-1392745425_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-01021600-1392745436_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-26129600-1392745447_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-37970000-1392745463_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-91274200-1392745476_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-36079600-1392745488_thumb.jpg

Beautiful photography and ship.  Very nice!

Hey Max,

The Half Moon is looking really good, the rigging is coming along nicely.  A question...did the metal gun port surrounds come with your kit or did you purchase them separately?  Very nice work.

J

wow Max............your on a roll!   she looks awesome!  your doing a super job.   I usually buy dowels....not 100% on what type of wood.

the kit supplied dowels......some are pre shaped to some degree....I just use sand paper to get the desired effect.   I've not had too many problems with them.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi all

Thx so much for the compliments :)

@jct i did buy the frames separately...

Cheerio

Max

I really love your photos, Max. Wish I could get that quality on mine. Truth is that your build is a good model for the pictures!! =D