Micro drill holders

Hi all,

I need you advice on chucking micro drills #60 - #80 into a normal drill press chuck or a dremel tool.

So far I have just used a normal cheap pin vise to achieve this step down in size or used the pin vise by hand.

Anybody have advice on how they do it would be great as well as links to manufactures of these sort of chucks/adapters for power tools.

Ben

Ben,

Dremel makes a chuck.  I have two Dremels and a chuck came with each one, in addition to the collets.

As for a drill press.  Is this a screw on chuck? or one with a taper?  Micromark might have something....... that might take some searching as I'm not sure where you'd find those

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ben,

I always had problems with the after market micro chucks for the Dremel.  Drill Bit City sells resharpened carbide micro drills that are fantastic.  (And the prices are similar to HSS bits.)  Because they are carbide, they are more brittle and work best with a steady hand or in a drill press.  They have a standard shaft that fits into a regular collet for the Dremel, resulting in much less wobble and a true-to-size hole.  Usual disclaimers.   

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Ben,

I have had problems with chucking the micro-bits into a drill press. Micro Mark sells a small chuck adapter that will then fit into a Dremel, but I've found that the #75-80 are too small to clamp in the adapter (I ended up wrapping the bits with copper tape to clamp them). Worse, the micro bits have a concentricity problem. I seldom can chuck the small bits into the adapter/Dremel without getting a lot of wobble. I've looked at the slitting of the adapters, and they are part of the problem. Like Toni, I've been getting 1/8" shank micro-bits from Drill Bit City. They have always run true and produce better results.

At least, that's what I've seen. YMMV.

Thanks,

Harvey

Hi Ben

As Mark says dremel make a chuck for their machines and it is available seperately.Have you tried removing the cap or collets from the other end of the pinvise and clamp the pinvise in your chuck of the drill press?

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Motor tools normally come with a range of at least three or four collets. One on these collets should take the smaller bits.

Most (import) drill presses seem to have pretty poor chucks that don't clamp anything much smaller than a 3/32 bit. You could put the bit in a suitable pin chuck first then put this in a drill press but I doubt the bit will run true unless you're very lucky. Best option would be to replace the chuck with a better one that goes down to the size you need. I have a 16mm (5/8) capacity chuck that is supposed to go down very low but I've not actually checked the smallest bit it can grip.

Update: I've just checked on one ME site and most drill press chucks only go down to .5mm. Some of the small 6mm capacity chucks claim to go down to .4mm so that's nearly down to #78.

Edited by Q A's Revenge

There are zero closure drill chucks where the jaws meet at a sharp edge instead of being flatted.

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Toni, Thanks for the tip on Drill Bit City!

Maury

In a pinch I have used the collet of my dremmel-like tool (an old Monkey Wards left over). I insert the drill bit and clamp the collet into my drill press.

To be sure, it does not run true, but I am usually able to get by with some care.

The other way is to invest in a series of drill bits that have a thick shaft. There are some threads here somewhere on that subject.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I've gone through hundreds of #80 drills on my 1/8 scale build. The best way to adapt a tiny drill to any larger chuck is to wrap a layer of soft wire around it. It will spin nice and true. I pull my wire from old electrical cords. Look for old cords with the largest fine wire. Many are too thin.

Von Stetina

Build log Lightning, extreme clipper

I have a set of micro drill bits from Mc Feely's that have a 3/32 inch diameter shank. The selection of sizes is limited to eight ranging from 2.1 to 0.5 mm.

0.5 mm is about equivalent to a number 77 drill.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/PX-88/Tungsten-Vanadium-Micro-Twist-Drill-Bits

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

With my Einhell ( similar to Dremmel ) similar problem arise. Jaw is worn from use and no longer holding tools. While I do not buy new calipers, problem is solved with a layer of thin tape - self adhesive paper. This works for sanding and similar jobs, but to drill small holes, if you are very lucky

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I found this link elsewhere on the forum and subsequently purchased a set.

http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-other-subjects/all-things-tools/73-cutting-tools/118-50pc-microdrill-set-03-to-15mm

Ordering is done direct to Allan Sidney. I have the email address somewhere - if anyone is interested just PM me and I'll dig it out.

I have been using a micro-chuck from UMM-USA

I can chuck it into my full size drill press or into my dental drill - std 3/32 dia shaft

Very good concentricity.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_161&products_id=3338

MN032%20Mini%20Micro%20Chuck%20-%20Rotar

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Amazon has a number of collet type and drill chuck type micro drill holders for sale that have standard 1/4" hex shanks for use with cordless drills/screwdrivers.  Most will hold as least down to a #97 drill.  I would guess that these same items are for sale from other outlets as well.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

• 1 month later...

The picture's of the drills in the bottom box are numbers 31-80. Also as you can see the other two boxes are spares and odd one the I have gotten over the years beside the sets I have gotten for free with others. I also have the same set as Mark from Model Expo, beside what we all have in the metal boxes. I think I have all the drill bits I need. But you never know there is always that one odd size you don't have when you need it, but I do think I have that cover LOL.

post-163-0-69667900-1389174959_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-89883000-1389174959_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-12620500-1389174960_thumb.jpg

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Wacko.

Is that by chance a brake in your second photo above sitting on top of the drill box? Any good advice about it. Am thinking about getting a sheer/brake and was wondering about how much use one would get in this hobby of ours out of one. Be nice to have nice bends in metal thats for sure.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Gary, your question about using a brake, reminded me about the brake I have it is small and will bend sheet up to about 30 inches long, uses a bar of 1/2 inch steel as a clamp bar and will bend thin sheet easily enough. I purchased it to bend aluminum flashing when I was building the house. Can't say that I have used it for any model work though.

A good small vice with clean square jaws is more useful in my opinion, for the small stuff we bend.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.