Swift 1805 by jarero - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Virginia Pilot Boat - First Build

Hi Jared,

It looks good but one question…...

Is the helm stick not to high?

I mean that he goes to far upwards.

Maybe that's the way, but when I not asking something, I never know….

Sjors

Sjors, you bring up a good point. This was my first "real" lesson in scale. I drilled the hole in the handle as shown in green in the picture. I guess it just felt natural to drill the hole perpendicular to the piece. It wasn't until long after I installed it that I was staring at my ship (one of those long extended stares where you do nothing but ponder the next step) and it dawned on me that it was to tall in reference to the scale of the ship. I measured the height and converted it to 1:1 and basically it is about seven feet off the deck. So either the helmsman was really tall or he stood on a stool. I should have drilled the hole where the red line is to keep things in proportion.

tiller1-L.jpg

Edited by jarero

-------------------------------
In Progress Build:

Robert E. Lee by Scientific a.k.a "The Bob"

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

easier said than done. He is actually finished with the model...he is just getting the updates in as he has the time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

I know Sarah,

When you're typing or reading it is easier then do it…..

But these are the things that make your build better( I think )

Sjors

jarero said:  (one of those long extended stares where you do nothing but ponder the next step)

seems like I do that alot, glad to know it just isn't me :) ... by long your do mean hours?

keith

I have spent entire evenings just staring at it and maybe getting a sum total of 5 minutes worth of real work done. Rest assured you aren't along, there is someone out there just as looney! :)

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

I know Sarah,

When you're typing or reading it is easier then do it…..

But these are the things that make your build better( I think )

Sjors

Sjors,

I guess I figured this was part of the learning curve and that I would leave it especially considering the way it is constructed.  Your comment made me take another good look at it and I think I know of a way I can fix it without having to build all new parts.  Stay tuned, I will see what I can do.

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

I installed the timberheads (I think that is what they are even though they don't extend beyond the railing) next and as you can see in the pictures the spacing isn't constant.  I'm not really sure why but they are installed exactly per the drawing:

103_0152-L.jpg

103_0159-L.jpg

Edited by jarero

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Hi Jared,

A little tip from me….

Do not always believe the drawings!

Next time look for a reference point like the 3 openings in the bulwark and take that distance to go further.

A little secret form me to you, at the San Ildefonso , the drawing is saying I need 7 gratings on each side.

I take the exact measure and I come to 6 gratings…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Jarero

I like that picture of the rudder with the brass fixtures and the brass nailing.

Looks nice against the wood.

Drilling the Hole must of been nerve racking, (i'm dreading that and the Bowsprit. Any tricks on drilling that big of a hole in a curved surface, I assume a pilot hole but I'm afraid of splintering. I was wondering did you do anything like masking tape and drill?

Also, did shimming out those curved supports affect anything else. On my kit I had to remove about 2 -3 mm from the aft deck for it to match the keel.

Shine On -/\=

Keith

Hi Jared,

A little tip from me….

Do not always believe the drawings!

Next time look for a reference point like the 3 openings in the bulwark and take that distance to go further.

A little secret form me to you, at the San Ildefonso , the drawing is saying I need 7 gratings on each side.

I take the exact measure and I come to 6 gratings…..

Thanks for the tip Sjors! I just assumed there was a reason the spacing wasn't symmetrical but it seems that's not the case.

Jarero

I like that picture of the rudder with the brass fixtures and the brass nailing.

Looks nice against the wood.

Drilling the Hole must of been nerve racking, (i'm dreading that and the Bowsprit. Any tricks on drilling that big of a hole in a curved surface, I assume a pilot hole but I'm afraid of splintering. I was wondering did you do anything like masking tape and drill?

Also, did shimming out those curved supports affect anything else. On my kit I had to remove about 2 -3 mm from the aft deck for it to match the keel.

Shine On -/\=

Keith

Keith,

Drilling holes and holding your breath always seem to go hand in hand (at least for a newbie). For the rudder I used an awl to make a small divot, then a small pilot hole, then the full size hole. I took my time and ran the drill at slower speeds with very light pressure. I didn't have any issue with splintering. As far as drilling the hole for the bowsprit you can see the method that I used in post #32 of this log but please also see the response by Russ in #34.

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Jared,

It was good to meet you and Sara today :D

Your Swift has come out very nicely. I hope you enjoyed it.

I assume you're done. But, if you want to tinker, and have not glued the cabin tops in place, you could detail the interior. The newer Swift has a much nicer and larger cabin area. I added a couple of bunks in the aft cabin, and a galley stove and table in the forward cabin. It was a little touch that was a lot of fun. :)

Thanks,

Harvey

Jared,

It was good to meet you and Sara today :D

Your Swift has come out very nicely. I hope you enjoyed it.

I assume you're done. But, if you want to tinker, and have not glued the cabin tops in place, you could detail the interior. The newer Swift has a much nicer and larger cabin area. I added a couple of bunks in the aft cabin, and a galley stove and table in the forward cabin. It was a little touch that was a lot of fun. :)

Thanks,

Harvey

Thanks Harvey, we had a good time and look forward to it again next month. I did a little detailing but not to the same level it sounds like you did. I'd love to see it if you have any pictures?

Any luck with resetting your browser settings to get the website to work again?

Your swift is looking really good. I recently finished the same build. I dont know if mine looks as good as this one. keep up the good work. I will be watching this progress.

Thanks for the feedback! Have you made a build log or have completed photos on here? I like looking at other builds.

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Installing some deck fittings:

103_0187-L.jpg

103_0188-L.jpg

Some more creative wood bending. I realized that when I would release the clamps after the wood dried that it would spring back some and not hold the exact shape I had clamped it to. I decided to try to bend it further than needed to allow for this. This time I got too carried away!

103_0182-L.jpg

103_0185-L.jpg

Installing:

103_0189-L.jpg

103_0190-L.jpg

103_0192-L.jpg

103_0199-L.jpg

Finished:

103_0200-L.jpg

Edited by jarero

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Great progress Jared!

Inventive with the bending tool  :)

Maybe you can take another look in the kitchen to see what you can use,

Or move your workspace into the kitchen.

Then you have everything by hand  ;)

She is looking very nice - I like the wood contrasts.

Thanks Wayne!

Great progress Jared!

Inventive with the bending tool  :)

Maybe you can take another look in the kitchen to see what you can use,

Or move your workspace into the kitchen.

Then you have everything by hand  ;)

If I move to the kitchen I would never get any exercise! I would only eat and build my models. I better stick to my work area.

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

That looks great Jared.

You have it in your fingers  :)

Soon I can ask you for advise…..

If you want some exercise…do the same as me.

Workplace is upstairs so a lot of running up and down.

Wow,lots more pictures of progress added. I like the way the deckhouse ended up that beautiful wood. More nice work.

Interesting, I also see under the glue-up of the deck house colour photo instructions, WOW, that would of been nice with the older kit. I guess thats Another upgrade to the AL Swift.

Thanks Keith!

I wouldn't worry too much about those color pictures that were included as they are of such poor quality that they didn't help much, although they were better than nothing when this site was down. If you want I can take some high resolution pictures and send them to you or if you PM me your address I would be happy to mail them to you. I have no use for them at this point.

That looks great Jared.

You have it in your fingers  :)

Soon I can ask you for advise…..

If you want some exercise…do the same as me.

Workplace is upstairs so a lot of running up and down.

Very kind of you to say but I still have a lot to learn before I can really be of much help to others. Someday though. Right now my work place has taken over the dining room, family room and part of the garage but nothing upstairs yet.

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Thanks for the offer jarero, its much appreciated, but actually the pictures you post to your log happen to blow AL's instructions out of the water (be they written or pictures)

Plus, instructions dont answer questions, like builders do.

Let me put this mathematically:

MSW >> any AL instructions

Thanks for all your help. Oh BTW, I love that finish on the deck houses. Its amazing how it makes the wood POP! What did you use? I just ordered some of the cherry veener planks and veneer assortment from Lee Valley. I saw the cherry recommended by a San Francisco II builder. Let the kit bashing begin.

Cherry Venneer 225 pieces for 23.95

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,250,43217&p=40840

Domestic & Exotic Veneer Assortments

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,250,43217&p=58781

plus here's a handy looking tool I couldnt pass up. looks like it might be good for making rigging eyes.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,41659&p=64791

They also have free shipping until the 25th this month.

Edited by themadchemist

Thanks for the offer jarero, its much appreciated, but actually the pictures you post to your log happen to blow AL's instructions out of the water (be they written or pictures)

Plus, instructions dont answer questions, like builders do.

Let me put this mathematically:

MSW >> any AL instructions

Thanks for all your help. Oh BTW, I love that finish on the deck houses. Its amazing how it makes the wood POP! What did you use? I just ordered some of the cherry veener planks and veneer assortment from Lee Valley. I saw the cherry recommended by a San Francisco II builder. Let the kit bashing begin.

Cherry Venneer 225 pieces for 23.95

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,250,43217&p=40840

Domestic & Exotic Veneer Assortments

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,250,43217&p=58781

plus here's a handy looking tool I couldnt pass up. looks like it might be good for making rigging eyes.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,41659&p=64791

They also have free shipping until the 25th this month.

Thanks Keith and no problem.

I used a varnish that my wife picked up at Hobby Lobby. I would assume most varnish would be able to duplicate the results though.

That is some cool looking wood and I look forward to hearing your opinion on that tool when it comes in!

Jared

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Here is where I made a departure from the plans. In the end I was happy with the results but it wasn't without some headaches....

I decided I didn't like the hinges that the instructions tell you to make so I figured I would use some of my extra eye bolts as part of the hinge assembly:

103_0261-L.jpg

103_0262-L.jpg

103_0266-L.jpg

The unknown consequence at the time of this change was that the top hinges would now be spaced out too wide for the houses and would require shimming.

Edited by jarero

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

While I was waiting for varnish to dry and glue to set I worked on my dead eyes and ladders:

A small hobby vise or Keith's new vice would have probably helped with this step! I blackened the wire after forming it.

103_0263-L.jpg

103_0272-L.jpg

103_0274-L.jpg

By the time I finished with the ladders I thought they came out mostly ok but I would highly recommend that you make your own if you think you have the skills and throw away the pre made sides that come with the kit. I think most people on here could make a better ladder.

103_0270-L.jpg

103_0269-L.jpg

100_0275-L.jpg

Edited by jarero

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared