Viking Ship by LMDAVE - FINISHED - Revell - 1/50 - PLASTIC

After finishing my first wooden build, I decided to take a step backwards and build the Revell Viking Ship, since it was a gift by my wife and she would be upset if I didn't attempt it. I did already start the kit and figured, why not do a build log?

408135441.jpg

408135448.jpg

One thing I did want to try with a plastic build again was to make the plastic look like real wood (I always admired other plastic models that accomplished this). I did the method of spraying a tan under coat, but instead of dry brushing and washing with browns and blacks, I applied a stain lightly over the already molded wood grain, and so far I like the results. The only negative to this approach was the amount of time it takes for the stain to fully dry and cure on the plastic undercoat (several days).

408135442.jpg

408135445.jpg

I'm currently at the step of undercoating the deck, and will be applying two seperate stains to differentiate the crossbeams from the deck baords.

408135447.jpg

I weathered the planks and painted the stringers, realized I should have done the planks first because the weather wash (with black) removed the stain on the stringers, so I just added the stain back afterwards. I need to do a black wash again (with a waterbase black) to get into the cracks. of the planks. But I like the color the planks came out eventhough it was sort of an accident

408154706.jpg

I also added some yellow/green viking trim to the sides. No particular reason for the colors. Lines came out well, I have a few touch up spots from bleed through.

408154707.jpg

408154705.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Nice work so far. I have seen good reviews about this kit over the years. It should build into a nice model.

Russ

Thanks Russ....it'll probably be a quick build given the low amount of parts, but I'm going for detail. There is one model I can find through a google search which was done excellently, with figures and everything. The kit come with decals for the shield which most opt to not use, including me because it's way too fake looking. I'm going to just have solid covered shields. Otherwise, I can't find many pictures of this model completed.

Several years back I saw some posts on this kit on the Fine Scale Modeler forum. Might check there and see what you find.

Russ

Installed the shields today. I have been painting them and triming them, then I blackwashed weathered them. Part of me likes it, and part is not sure if I picked the right colors with the boat trim.

408169612.jpg

I do like the back sides of the wooden shields.

408169613.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Dave:

The shields look good to my eye. I think the weathering is fine.

Russ

Thanks Russ. I finished up the shields on the other side and took a shot a painting and weathering the oars. Just painted tan over the brown, scuffed it a litte and did a black wash over it. I saw another model with the oars stowed on deck which looked cool, so I'm putting these there for now, not sure if I have them in the running position when finished or not.

408180832.jpg

Moving right along. Added the rest of the oars on board, and added the rudder(?). I also made a color change, I replaced the green strip with red that matches the shields. Some reason the off color was bothering me.

408209471.jpg

That is looking very good so far. Nice work on the oars.

Russ

Added the anchor and rope details on deck. And the main mast

408245486.jpg

408245488.jpg

Also laid the sail against the mast for a picture shot. I wasn't sure about using the plastic sail as I see that most don't. But, I weathered the sail up good and will probably go with it.

408245487.jpg

The westhering of the sail looks good. I am not sure about the accuracy of the sail itself, but as I said earlier on, this kit has gotten pretty good reviews over the years. Unless you want to do some research and test the sail's authenticity, I would go with it.

Russ

I've finished all the deck work and started the rigging. I have a feeling my next update will be the completed model. quick-build

408275265.jpg

408275264.jpg

This is a quick build. Lot's of instant gratification. Looks good.

Russ

Really nice painting job.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks guys, that's one reason I jumped back to a plastic kit, was to get this real wood effect. Hope to have the finished product up soon.

Here are the finished pics. Fun little quick build....now on to something more challenging (not sure what yet)

408293735.jpg

408293738.jpg

408293742.jpg

408293744.jpg

Dave:

That is a great looking model. Good color scheme and weathering. Congratulations.

Russ

• The title was changed to Viking Ship by LMDAVE - FINISHED - Revell - 1/50 - PLASTIC