Queen Anne's Revenge by DSiemens - BOTTLE - Aprx. 1:1250 - Finished

Dan- Thank you for that article.  It has a lot of great information.  It'll take me some time to read all the way through it but from the dozen or so pages I did read I'm very impressed.  I find it interesting that the circumstances of the time created a perfect storm for the golden age of piracy.  Wars were coming to an end and sailors that had always known a life of sea warfare didn't have much else to fall back on.  So why not go into the pivateering or piracy.  Meanwhile less war meant more trade and the shipping industry was booming with lots of ships to steal from or commandeer.  I found it interesting as well how bold pirates became.  They would use there names openly and talk directly to their victims.  As the article explains they had no fear of the judiciary.  It seems it all caught up to them eventually but with the way these men presented themselves and the rumors that flew because of word of mouth communication it's no wonder piracy is romanticized as it is now.    

I think your right though that I am on the right track with the french frigate plans.  Mark Wilde-Ramsing has obviously done extensive research into the QAR.  I trust his opinion.  As well as yours.  Thanks for the help.     

Edited by DSiemens

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates.  I have the platforms on.  Upon further looks at the plans I should include a platform on the mizzen mast as well.  I also moved the main mast aft.  It didn't look right being so close to the forward mast so I repositioned it.  I then put a hatch cover over the hole for the original mast.  Except for the stern I'm ready for yard arms.  I still need to figure out what windows or designs to put on the back (transom?).  I think that's the right word.  

20140101_233439.jpg

20140101_233419.jpg

20140101_233410.jpg

I didn't realize she'd be carrying one of those older style bowsprits.  Nice!

Happy New Year, Daniel

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Daniel - and Happy New Year -

Coming along nicely at such a small scale.

Budriot's plans show a very tall stern with two banks of high windows.  That does not fit with the Advice Prize draught, so I lowered the transom in Photoshop and got this.  Perhaps it will be of some help to you.

post-3092-0-73339000-1388672909_thumb.jpg

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Happy New Year, Daniel

A bowsprit topmast!  :) I like it. About 1700 those topmasts were being eliminated but a traditionally minded owner and/or builder would include it.

A few updates.  I have the platforms on.  Upon further looks at the plans I should include a platform on the mizzen mast as well.

You will also need cross-trees (or very small platforms) at the main and fore topmast/topgallant mast doublings to provide a spread for the topgallant mast shrouds. The mizzen top could be done like the tops you have now on the main and fore masts or, as an alternative, similar to the cross-trees.

post-70-0-13939000-1388686618_thumb.jpg

Cross-trees set on the trestle trees ( r). (p) is the location of the lower mast, the upper mast is located in the other square. Image borrowed from The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor by Darcy Lever, a paperback reprint of the 1819 second edition, available for US$14.95 - a very useful addition to every ship modeler's library.

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Happy New Year, Daniel

Thanks Augie.  I wasn't sure I would do the bowsprit this was but it didn't seem right with out it.  I really thought hard on this because of how much force the bowsprit may take going in the bottle and holding up the masts.  I got it on and it seemed pretty firm so here's hopping.  

Hi Daniel - and Happy New Year -

Coming along nicely at such a small scale.

Budriot's plans show a very tall stern with two banks of high windows.  That does not fit with the Advice Prize draught, so I lowered the transom in Photoshop and got this.  Perhaps it will be of some help to you.

attachicon.gifstern reduced size.jpg

Be well

Dan

Dan that is very helpful.  At this scale I may just add some color print it real small and glue it on the back.  I did the same on my Mercury.  

post-307-0-93258200-1371792858_thumb.jpg

I really need to look into cross trees.  At small scale I've always been able to get away with not having them.  Including them thought would make the ship that much better.  My plan was to glue the topgallant mast shrouds directly to the platforms.  This is not to far off the plans I have.  Theoretically I think the platform sits just above if not on the crosstrees.  I just got a book on rigging I'll see if it has something more on them.  

A bowsprit topmast!  :) I like it. About 1700 those topmasts were being eliminated but a traditionally minded owner and/or builder would include it.

You will also need cross-trees (or very small platforms) at the main and fore topmast/topgallant mast doublings to provide a spread for the topgallant mast shrouds. The mizzen top could be done like the tops you have now on the main and fore masts or, as an alternative, similar to the cross-trees.

attachicon.gifcross-trees.jpg

Cross-trees set on the trestle trees ( r). (p) is the location of the lower mast, the upper mast is located in the other square. Image borrowed from The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor by Darcy Lever, a paperback reprint of the 1819 second edition, available for US$14.95 - a very useful addition to every ship modeler's library.

Well I'm off to the rigging yard.  I guess in this case the rigging box.  I put on the last platform.  No cross trees this time.  She's just to small.  Maybe on my next model.  I started on the topgallant shrouds.   

20140104_120722.jpg

20140104_120718.jpg

20140104_120632.jpg

I'll see if I can't trim the edges of the rat lines a little more.  I'm thinking some small nail clippers might do it.  

You might check the fly fishing section of your local sporting goods store.  They usually stock very small nail clippers that are quite sharp.  Dr. Slick is one brand I recall.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Augie I will look into that.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well Augie I didn't make it to the sporting goods store but I ran by the grocery store and found some nice $7 Cuticle clippers that really do the trick.  I wish I had these while doing the Mercury it would have improved her look a lot.  

I took a few pictures of my ratline technique.  

20140115_223955.jpg

20140115_223615.jpg

20140115_224625.jpg

20140115_224720.jpg

As I take these close up photos it seems all my mistakes pop out.  It's especially difficult with these tiny ships.  I guess the size and the bottle hides most of the funky lines though.  At least the ratlines look better with out all the ends coming off.

Now I got to figure out the main shrouds.  The hard part with those is they will be free floating until the ship is in the bottle.   So some how I got to glue ratlines to a loose shroud.  I think I need a jig.   

Yup, those will work as well.  Untrimmed ratlines are twice the length of the vessel @ 1:1250 !

Looking good.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

As I take these close up photos it seems all my mistakes pop out.  It's especially difficult with these tiny ships. 

The lens is very unforgiving, but I find the images useful as a QA/QC tool. Every time I take progress photos I have to spend some time at the bench touching up paint and trimming glue blobs I found at 10X or 15X digital magnification I didn't see with my 2.5X Optivisor. My camera is now an important tool in my toolbox. Keep up the great work, Daniel.

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Yup, those will work as well.  Untrimmed ratlines are twice the length of the vessel @ 1:1250 !

Looking good.

Perhaps you could lend me some of your rigging spiders.  Thank for the compliment Augie.

The lens is very unforgiving, but I find the images useful as a QA/QC tool. Every time I take progress photos I have to spend some time at the bench touching up paint and trimming glue blobs I found at 10X or 15X digital magnification I didn't see with my 2.5X Optivisor. My camera is now an important tool in my toolbox. Keep up the great work, Daniel.

I've heard that idea but never utilized it.  I think I should start though.  I'm letting some mistakes go on this one.  It is so small they are hardly noticed and I'm using it partially as an experiment but mostly to see if I can.  Once I'm done I think I'll go to some thing bigger and more detailed where I can really put the camera idea to some use.  Maybe the Satisfaction or another ghost ship.  Both requests from friends.  The Gjoa in a one gallon would be fun too.  The Skipper at the club is trying to get me to start on a Model Shipways Elsie as well.  So many projects so little time.          

Hey, young fellow.........  you have the time.  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Your right. If I lack anything its the patience.

Created a jig for the shrouds.  This keeps every thing in place while I glue on the ratlines.  In order for this ship to fit in the bottle I have to add the masts after the hull is in.  The shrouds will have to be glued to the side of the hull after they are in.  That means the ratlines will be what provides the proper spread of the shrouds.  

20140118_172229.jpg

My rigging box has turned out to be pretty versatile.  

You may have noticed me posting a lot this week though not on my own forums.  I was down with a flu that kept me home from work for two days.  Felt much better by the week end though and did some rearranging of the shipyard.  Didn't take much since it's just a coat closet but it felt good.  Here's some photo's.

20140126_233517.jpg

I've actually expanded from a cubby to a closet as my bottle collection has taken over.  I plan to fill them all eventually.  By the time I do I'll probably have more though.   The top shelf is mine two.  The box is full of wood and the two boxes above it are kits.  the Elsie and a Euromodel Cocca Anseatica I got from the local club for $20 from some one who was downsizing his kit collection.  It was to good to pass up and she's a pretty ship.  Once I get the Elsie done I'll start that one.  It'll be a while and I'm ok with that.  

20140126_233527.jpg

Moving over even more bottles.  Some of the small ones on the end I use for testing.  Like when I learned how to put mini seagulls flying around in the bottle.  

20140126_233558.jpg

My work bench cork board for plans and tool chests.  My miniature pirate sword hangs right where I can see it... 

20140126_233611.jpg

...the rest of the miniature sword collection hangs above the cork board and tools.  What can I say I like small things.  

I also stained my rigging box.  

20140126_233703.jpg

And now back to the ship inside the rigging box.  

20140126_233743.jpg

I took off the rubber band for a better view.  The shrouds are done for two masts and I have the lateen yard done for the mizzen mast. 

20140126_233818.jpg

Gear well stowed and feeling better ....... productive days!  Love the rigging chest.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm not at all happy with the masts.  The shrouds look horrible.  I tried to say to my self it's an experiment ship any ways but no, I can do better.  There was a technique in a recent Bottle Shipwright magazine that used wire insulation as the mast allowing it to bend backwards while still being really small.  Once I find some insulation the right size I'll continue this build.  Let me know if you know of some where.    

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues.  I finally found what I was looking for in a broken cell phone charger.  The lower section of the masts will be wire with wood on top.  This allows the masts to bend and go in the bottle while being able to pull them back into place with the rigging.  Now that I'm starting over I may just add the cross trees as David suggested.  Part of me thought of putting her in and saying it's an admiralty style model.   ;) She'll be much more impressive fully rigged. 

20140222_170039.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running into some problems with this one.  The paper is just not holding the masts as well as I would like.  I'm leaning towards restarting.  The problem with this scale is glue builds up fast and it's becoming a mess.  I've learned a lot though and I have a few ideas I'd like to implement with it.  I'll redo the hull in paper because I like the detail.  I'll paint it with Testors paint instead of the heavy acrylic so the paint will be thinner and more uniform.  I will leave a piece of wood inside below the deck to glue the masts into.  I will still use the wire masts as that worked out great during a test fit despite the weakness of the paper.  I still think a decent ship at this scale is possible.  I just have to get over the learning curve.  

Sounds like some good changes.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

These learning curves whack us at the least opportune moments don't they! I look forward to the rebuild Daniel

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Michael they really do but strangely enough I enjoy it.  I've pushed my self with this build more then I thought I would and it's been fun figuring it out.   

• 2 months later...

Alright an update.  I've made some discoveries with the pirate sloop that helped this build immensely.  I kept the hull and stared at it during my past build.  I kept thinking the hull is good and it would be a real shame to discard it.  I was able to get most of the excess glue off and replace the main mast.  Then using paint brush bristles like I did for the pirate sloop I recreated the upper portions of the mast.  I like the look much better and they bend well.  I'll be getting back to ratlines again.  I'm thinking though of doing them differently.  I had more success with my Bounty making the ratlines off ship and gluing them on all at once.  That maybe a better method for this scale.  I think I will also leave off the upper shrouds.  They will be hidden by the sails anyways.  So the build is back on.  

20140526_113451.jpg

Glad to see her back!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Rigging is going on.  So far so good.  Looks a bit better when the forward stays are tight.  

20140602_233004.jpg