protective coating on coppered hull

Can I spray a clear coat of some sort maybe acrylic over the copper plates to harden and protect them from lifting up during construction once the hull is fully coppered. The reason I ask this question is because now that I have my phantom  fully coppered  I am having a hard time handling the hull without damaging the copper.

Or papre scotch tape ? Or medical scotch tape ? 

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

is this just temporary whilst the build is taking place or permanent

i would just put something onto the stand to protect the hull, like foam tape, towels are popular, as is the lagging used on pipework to prevent freezing

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Once again I have dipped into zu Mondfell's book.

His advice on coppering is to... "clean them up very thoroughly with the fines grade of steel wool and a glass fiber brush and immediately apply a coat of protective lacquer (cellulose clear lacquer). ... unlacquered copper will show every fingerprint after a few hours due to oxidization. Do not try to age copper artificially - in 3 to 4 years it will acquired exactly the right patina, even under the lacquer."

OK, so what is "cellulose clear lacquer?"  :)

Richard T

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks for the info, now is this lacquer only available from overseas or can I find it at Michael's or some other craft store in the US.

Dirk, the sight I found says to thin with "Ester."  What did you use to thin the Zapon?

Thanks

RT

Richard

Zapon varnish is a good choice to protect copper.

Just be careful; Zapon is cellulose nitrate (guncotton!) dissolved in alcohol or ethyl acetate. You should not inhale the fumes and don't smoke if you use it indoors. It is highly flammable.

Per

Edited by Per

Thanks Dirk, good to know.

Mike,

the only place I have found it so far is at

http://shop.kremerpigments.com/en/search.html?page=search&page_action=query&desc=on&sdesc=on&keywords=ester

Kramer's is a specialty producer of pigment and artist supplies. I have bought from them in the past and they are pretty good. They are located in New York City.

RT

Richard

Cellulose lacquer - read rattlecan car lacquer its that simple whats used on car finishes. Personally I wouldnt use it but just let a perfectly clean finish age and tarnish naturally to an even patina

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.