HMS Victory cross section in a bottle by qwerty2008 - BOTTLE - Finished

I started on a HMS Victory cross section in a bottle. I made the hull by laminating strips of card over a form the decks are made from card as well they will be attached to the hull by strings that when pulled will assemble the model then the mast and rigging will be added. I still need to make one more deck then I can start making the details such as cannons the mast step and the chain pumps.

post-1993-0-89128000-1385157682_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-90443600-1385157760_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-17721300-1385157824_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-43599100-1385157623_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

Great work this will be a fun project.  

Those are some of the best finds.  I found a couple of bottles while walking the dog both turned out some great ships.  

_MG_9726.jpg

Xebec+003.jpg

What's more fun is it adds to the story behind how the whole SIB came together.  What I like about the one you found is the opening appears small but obviously not so small that you aren't able to get a cross section in.  It adds to the magic of the bottle and adds to the question of "how did it get in there?"

Speaking of that do you have a picture of all the pieces completely separated?

Edited by DSiemens

Hello Lextin.

That's one very nice project.

Well done on such fine work :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

That's a such a great way of getting it all to come together.  It makes it hard to figure out until you see it.  Great idea!

Lextin I was having difficulty seeing how this was going to work until today, very ingenious.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Amazing how you figured out to hinge it in the middle and have the thread pull it together and capture the decking.   I'm wondering how you glue things together.  Or maybe let the thread hold it together?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very good engineering.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got much work done around Turkeyday but I was able to make the lower gundeck cannons and the mast. The mast is made from a bamboo skewer the topmast and topgallant mast are made from bamboo toothpicks the yards are also toothpicks.

post-1993-0-17252500-1386182067_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-66381400-1386182071_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-27333900-1386182076_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-60687900-1386182081_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-14537900-1386182088_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-87550400-1386182093_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

I did some more work on the rigging (the foot ropes are out of scale but I couldn't get them any smaller) the topmast shrouds are complete the lower shrouds will be attached to the hull and have long strings that will be threaded through a hole drilled in the top of the mast when I install the mast I will pull the strings to tighten up the shrouds.

post-1993-0-82548000-1386190493_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-37457400-1386190498_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-91801700-1386190504_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-72156700-1386190510_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-69051300-1386190516_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-70496500-1386190522_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Looks great!  How do you think you will support it in the bottle?  

This is an intriguing build, I am looking forward to seeing how you "pull it all together"

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

I finished the rigging, I would like to add some more detail to the decks but if I add to much detail I wont be able to get it in the bottle without damaging it. I also made the cradle to hold it in place in the bottle.

post-1993-0-60131700-1386450306_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-85511100-1386450311_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-05523400-1386450318_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-12878300-1386450324_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Very nice.  I can't wait to see more.  

Well done, Lextin.  That's a wonderful model.  I find it amazing that you can figure out everything needed to get it not only in the bottle but to look great, also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Amazing... just amazing!!

Michael

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

Excelent! I like all the "bottles"

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39