Xebec by Auvergne - Amati - 1:60 - C. 1753

I as well David. I am presently going through the design book by Chapman entitled, "Architectura Navalis Mercatoria," 18th century naval architecture. The vessels I am considering doing scratchbuilds of are 1.) a Algerine Xebec which looks nice, 2.) various launches, 3.) and a Egyptian or Roman Galley....I think all who are interested in modelling have built the USS Constitution and other US vessels of which I hold in high interest, but the foreign appeal has a grip on me in regards to design, aesthetics and challenges. I hope this will become a reality by end of year.

John E

Creativity Heart & Soul!

Happy Model Ship Building Friends!

John E.

Hey there Mij,

So far so good.. I should post some photos in a day or two to show the work I am doing on the (I don't know what to call this), but, it is the aft grating at the stern. The kit part broke into a few pieces when I tried cutting and now I am forced to design and construct the grating by hand....which is interesting and fun. I have spent all day (6 hours), on this project and it is looking promising. I will post photos when I have her finished at this stage. Mainly working on the aft deck and bits and pieces here and there. Wish the glue would dry faster. I'll keep you posted Mij.....

John E

Creativity Heart & Soul!

John E.

Following are 2 photos of what I was attempting to do with the grating aft...I am not pleased and feel my craftsmanship is little to be desired. I wanted some critique to see a better approach.

But first, let me say before I even started on this aft section I remembered I have a good size stack of 1/16" Birch wood that is just sitting on a shelf. So I began to think of replacing the 1x4x.5 planks with a cutout of the area with the Birch. I was successful at cutting a piece that slipped right into the exterior framing quite nicely. All I have to do is drill holes at 5/64" to show where the water would drain to keep vessel from pitch-poling upon being hit by a rogue wave.

My problem with this approach seems to be just how much of a realistic look I need to achieve. I am looking for a clean look which will look better than the kit part. I figure this is a good approach but was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I am looking online to research the grating for the Xebec and potentially discover a better way.

(Actually, I am ashamed of the 2 photos I will show but some of you folks with more experience may be able to help.)

These instructions in the Amati kit (to me anyway), are difficult to understand. I also feel this is an opportunity to advance a scratch built section of the vessel but really need to see real time photos of the actual build from someone else.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble on. It is 4:30 AM where I am and I am half asleep. ;)

post-7370-0-85387200-1402050365_thumb.jpg

post-7370-0-81625100-1402050378_thumb.jpg

Creativity Heart & Soul!

John E.

Been working since 4:30 am on aft section where the grating should go. I have before pictures and after pictures. I am thinking the after will be a final conclusion with the exception of planking the stern sides in. I am not going to cut or drill hills into this piece because thus far it has looked sloppy. Any suggestions and or comment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!

John E

post-7370-0-23716700-1402062758_thumb.jpg

post-7370-0-12116000-1402062770_thumb.jpg

post-7370-0-34932200-1402062783_thumb.jpg

post-7370-0-41146900-1402062798_thumb.jpg

Creativity Heart & Soul!

John E.

John that looks much tidier than the picture above.. just a tip... i would advise in investing in some very sharp craft blades for intricate cut out jobs.. really sharp is the key... i use a 9mm stanely knife and snap and change blades often.. looking good even though i know nothing of this ship.. Ollie

Thank you Ollie! Great advice!

I know coming from you this is a good thing though rest assured I have much work to do on the aft section. The knife I use is a Flexcut chip carving roughing out knife. I will and have been needing to invest in very sharp blades. I used to carve wood and know the blade must be very sharp otherwise we do not really cut the wood.

You are a good man Ollie, always a smile on your face now, and always helpful hints. Thanks very much.

Creativity Heart & Soul!

John E.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mij,

I seriously think this Xebec will be a modified version of the original kit. I cannot go back and undo what has already been done so pressing onward. Your Xebec is beautiful Mij, and I salute you, sir.

Presently I have built the outer walls of the aft section. Here again, I raised the walls by two planks in order to allow for the height extension of what I covered to align with the deck on the stern instead of the grating. It will work I am sure as I also wish for the metal scrollwork, cap-rails and top-plates to align at a downward angle from the transom. At this point this Chebec may be experimental but I am continuously improving my carpentry skills, trim skills, paint, and staining my deck. The main deck is almost complete and then on to the sides of the main deck. I'll try and post a couple of pics later this morning.

Creativity Heart & Soul!

John E.

A couple of photos showing the work mentioned in my previous post. Lots of work to do but looking a bit better this morning. I will continue to post my progress later. Need more work completed on main deck aft and to the right.

John E

post-7370-0-79754600-1403614670_thumb.jpg

post-7370-0-85135400-1403614679_thumb.jpg

Creativity Heart & Soul!

John E.

I notice you are pre-painting smart move as it gets harder down the road.

David B

Edited by dgbot

It is clear to see you are making vast improvemnts in your abilities. well done mate, as others said shes looking just fine.. keep at it mate.. Ollie

• 2 years later...

I've recently started on this model. Still at the deck planking stage.

Just an update on the kit:

Seems like Amati has made some changes:

A single (A4 sheet printed both sides) English instructions has been included.

Same parts are now laser cut.

Apparently, two new sheets has been added showing the mast constructions and rigging.

Maybe I'll start a build blog to continue and add to John E's build ( see he posted last over 2 years ago). But I have also been burned a bit by the MSW1 crash with my other build. Will approach it differently this time.

• 4 months later...

I am thinking about building this ship.  On any  factory or shop site, i cannot find anything about the hull planking.

Is this double planking method, or it is single layer planking or the more forgiving dubble layer,

is there anyone who can tell us more about this?

With Thanks, Ron-B

Edited by Ron-B

• 2 months later...

Looking good - I am building this exact same kit - im enjoying it a lot. Very good product - I had too do quite a bit of alteration to the false deck

in order to get it to fit.'Looking forward too following your build.

Take care and happy modeling

Don

• 2 months later...

Hi John,

I am 2/3rds through building De agostini's Sovereign of the Seas and totally enjoying it.

My wife bought me the Amati Xebec kit and today I opened it and loosely fitted the hull rib pieces together to see how big it will be.

I am looking forward in seeing how you progress and hopefully will begin this soon.

Your work looks great.

Snoepert

Current Projects: Souvereign of the Seas by De Agostini

Sciabecco. By Amati

Finished projects: Port Jackson by Modellers Shipyard

Botter boat by Amati

King of the Mississippi by Artensia Latina

Endeavor by Artensia Latina

• 5 months later...
On 27/11/2013 at 11:42 PM, Auvergne said:

Many thanks Jack and Ollie!! It always is so beneficial to hear from other mates out there. I appreciate you both as well to MTaylor and Sawdust, too! You guys are great confidence builders.

Jack, I certainly hope I can be of assistance to you for she is a fine build when completed. Best of luck to you, friend.

John E

Hi just read the comments on the caulking.

I am using cord run through bees wax and gluing in between the planking to create my affect.

I have done this in my last 3 models and looks affective.

Snoepert

Sciabecco. By Amati

Botter boat by Amati

On 23/08/2016 at 10:33 PM, Maxemojo said:

Apparently, two new sheets has been added showing the mast constructions and rigging.

Maybe I'll start a build blog to continue and add to John E's build ( see he posted last over 2 years ago). But I have also been burned a bit by the MSW1 crash with my other build. Will approach it differently this time.

On 23/08/2016 at 10:33 PM, Maxemojo said:

Hi,

is there a chance of posting the English instructions including the mast constructions and rigging.

This would be a great help.

Thanks,

Snoepert

Sciabecco. By Amati

Botter boat by Amati