SS Stadacona by realworkingsailor - Sylvan Scale Models - 1:87 - Resin/Multimedia - kit-bash

I dunno about a new desk, I think a new work room may be the order, your gonna have to move Andy. :D  :D :D  :D  

That's impressive work there mate, well done.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks everyone. Just got back from the railway club with a couple of small parcels of boom roller castings. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a look at getting started on attaching them. I need a break from green filler dust :P

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

As promised, I started work on the roller carriages on the boom. 20 have been cast so far (out of an estimated 50 needed), so not a bad start. I commenced in the middle of the boom as that is the deepest part of the truss, and by corrollary the hardest area to reach. I can also start work on the transverse and top bracing in that section as well.

Finally an overview shot of some of the filling done. I've alread gone down the port side and sanded off the excess filler. More will have to be done after priming, as I'm sure more holes will appear at that point.... they always do. :rolleyes:

Andy

post-34-0-53357600-1394209101_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-10832500-1394209200_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

looks amazing Andy........to see them in there so level and flat....it just compliments the construction of the frame itself.  NICE! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A bit more progress. Things appear to be slowing down a bit because there are numerous small jobs that all require attention, each producing a small net change overall.

Let me introduce you all to the Port Colborne fairlead (Ostensibly named for the town where it was invented). This is a multi-directional fairlead specifically designed for use with wire mooring lines. They are found pretty much exclusively on vessels in the inland fleet. A PC fairlead consists of a large rotating chock, this carries two scalloped sheaves (or "shives" in Newfie-speak, with the "i" pronounced like in "if"). They are superior to roller fairleads found on saltwater vessels namely because of the reduction in the number of moving parts, however since salties don't use wires after leaving the seaway, roller fairleads allow them to use their ropes.

Ships transiting the seaway and canal locks typically tie up using 4 wires. For simplicity we don't use the traditional names given to mooring lines (head line, forward spring, stern spring and stern line), rather they are numbered: 1, 2, 3, & 4.

The PC fairleads came with the kit, however some modification was necessary in their mounting arrangement. I've completed the four required for the bow (the starboard #2 fairlead is just sitting on deck for demonstration purposes). The next four at the stern will all be bulwark mounted, so it's a matter of drilling out an opening, and inserting the chock, as per the #1 fairlead in the photo.

In the mean time, the hatch farm continues to grow, with more hatches being added every day, I have just three more to add. And as always, still waiting on detail parts to show up.

Andy

post-34-0-93490800-1394378795_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Aside from regular greasing (like any moving part requires), the only thing that potentially ever needs changing are the sheaves. Very easy to access the pins through the open 1/4 circular spaces. Half an hour with a good spanner and a hammer and you can have 'em both swapped out. I've never seen any situation where the whole chock has to be changed. Any time I've ever seen any kind of problem, it was simply a matter of flushing out the old grease with a little diesel, add new grease and everything is back in order.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Panama Leads.. Yup,   Port Colborne Leads.. Nope.. :huh: New to me too Andy, tis amazing what you pick up over here, you wouldn't happen to have any photos of the full size gizmos handy ?

Fascinating build this Andy !

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Andy,

I'm still following you and I don't have a clue from what you telling but it looks......BIG !

It's a big difference then wood.

When do you go back at the Peggy ?

Or do you wanna complete this one first ?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

lovely work Andy, sure is a decent size, lol - i have been asked to build the SD-14 kit in card - and i said no, got enough to do

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Eamonn (and others): http://aylard.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/1000/marine-7226_0.jpg

Sjors, thanks for stopping by. Yes it is a big change from wood, but I'm having fun with it. I think I'm going to push to get this finished before I get back to Pegasus. As I mentioned wayyy back, when I got home in November, I really couldn't get back in to working on Pegasus, so I gave it a pause and started this mega-project.

Kevin, I think I caught you talking about the SD14 a couple weeks ago. That looked like an impressive model.

BE, I know what you mean about the appeal, but for me, it's close to home. As for paint, well...yeah... she's gonna take a LOT.... I've already begun stockpiling ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks Andy, now I have the idea (can see how the whole sheave 'arrangement' rotates inside the circular housing)  I'd only have been familiar with the Roller Type.

Thanks Again

Eamonn

I like the more contemporary builds too, and always thought those SD14's were .. dare I say it.. pretty !! :wub::rolleyes:

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

I just finished your log. I wish I found it earlier.  I have seen this vessels before on Lake Michigan and have always been fascinated by there loading and loading facilities and equipment.  You are doing a great job.  I think you should take your wife out to dinner more often to say thank you for letting me build this model in the house instead of the garage.

David B

Wife... Uh yeah... Still workin' on the girlfriend thing at the moment... :rolleyes:

(Wait! What!? Andy has no admiral to answer to?! Lucky shmuck...)

Yeah... Sure..... :unsure:

All kidding aside, thanks for stopping by, David :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

big strapping guy like yourself......with no lady friend under you arm......poor Andy! :(  are you using the right lure?  don't use bait.....girls don't like bait.......like the phrase.....' with baited breath '      who ever thought that one up was ill! :P

you'll find that lucky one,  one day..........all in good time ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Andy........ the question is .... " To Be or Not  To Be " :P.... oh yeah, and your build is looking great!!

Frank

Edited by riverboat

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

So carrying on.....

The fairleads for #3 and #4 have now been cut in to the aft bulwark. Bits have also been added along the length of the spar deck.

I did have to make some modifications to the aft end of the spar deck, namely adding extra deck space to allow for the winches to be mounted together aft of #20 hatch. This ties in with alterations that needed to be made to the afterhouse.

The kit supplied afterhouse needed to be shortened, and a new superstructure for the promenade deck built. Looking back, these are the two issues that bugged me about my original attempt, so not they're being dealt with. Shortening the afterhouse improved the overall look of the vessel considerable, bringing everything into better context.

For anyone in the area interested I will be displaying my ship at the Toronto Railway Prototype Modelers meet tomorrow, at Humber College. For Info: Toronto RPM

Andy

post-34-0-65286000-1394821149_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-93912000-1394821159_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Lookin the business Andy.. Hatch No. 20 still brings a smile to my face ! ;) (coming from a place where 9 or 10 would be considered pretty darn big !)

All The Best

Eamonn

post-5925-0-58053600-1394822496_thumb.jpg

Andy, as much as I'd love to see your SS Stadacona, I am nowhere close to Toronto. Your pictures will have to do for now. Are you getting on with your Pegasus at all?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Andy, as much as I'd love to see your SS Stadacona, I am nowhere close to Toronto. Your pictures will have to do for now. Are you getting on with your Pegasus at all?

She's on hold for the time being. When I get this big beastie finished, I'll return to rigging full time. The way things are going, probably by next winter.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

So....not much to report. Saturday went well. Aside from the clinics, I couldn't get away from my ship there were too many people asking lots of questions. :rolleyes:

I didn't manage to get any photos of the other models on display.... Not sure if there were any.. :P

I expect the RPM site to have some photos posted soon, and when they are I'll let everyone know.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

post-5925-0-58053600-1394822496_thumb.jp

So Andy , how does one get a little exercise on a cramped vessel like that one ? ^_^

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Take a grease gun, a few buckets of grease and have at 'er. Start with the grease points on the hatches, then move on to the winches. When that's done grab a wire brush, and a rag and clean and regrease all the threads on the booby-hatch dogs and..... Eh? What? Yeah well, never admit to the first mate you're bored or what to do for exercise..... ;):P:D

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

You haven't even started on the needle gunning, priming and painting yet. There's a touch of paint on her to do I'd say.

I think in this case I'd go for a full on sandblasting.... But failing that a deck scaler would have to do. (For those who don't know what that is, just picture the lawnmower from hell)

Hi Andy

Your ship sure has grown and taken on a very nice touch, you sure have her looking so very real. From my sailing days there is never any lack of things to do, trouble is just getting the things done that have to be maintained. By the look of the ice situation on the lakes this year you probably will not leave home until May,       ENJOY. 

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks for the kind words, unfortunately I can see cold and wet on the horizon. My seasonal suffering could start at anytime..... No news yet though....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Looking through my log after seeing the "server upgrade" thread, I've noticed a few photos are missing. If anyone is really desperate to see them I'll re-add them in, but otherwise I'm going to leave everything as is. Since it seems to be rather random which photos are still here and which are missing.....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy