S.S. Stadacona by realworkingsailor - Sylvan Scale Models - Kitbash, 1:87, Resin/Multimedia

Hi Andy,

I understand it.

You need a truck when you move her from your house to the club house...... :D

I shall looking forward to the next progress.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Some fantastic work there Andy, I hope you don't have sharp corners to negotiate when you eventually move her.

I'm enjoying your work mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks again, everyone. A small break from the shipyard today, well... Half day break.... Started working on getting the stern section ready. Unfortunately there seem to be few clear photos kicking around, of the Stad's stern. The views that I've found will allow me to progress to some degree, the rest will have to be a matter of conjecture, educated guesswork, and comparison with contemporary vessels. Like I stated at the beginning, the goal is to creat something that looks superficially similar to the prototype. One of the key sticking points right now is the arrangement of the stern anchor. More on that tomorrow when I've managed a bit more progress..... And photos...

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Are the stern anchors hauled in on deck at the stern, or hauled in through a port to the internal part of the ship ?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Montani semper liberi  Happy modeling to all. 

Crackers   :huh:

All shall be revealed in due time...... Patience....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Stern work over the past couple days.

Excavating the pocket for the stern anchor too a bit of doing, the resin casting is particularly thick in that area. The anchor pocket will sit just below the deck, with a hawse pipe running up to a windlass on the poop deck.

This is one of these areas that will be purely speculative. I've yet to locate decent photos of her stern, however careful study of contemporary vessels can help create something at least close. I've come across some great photos of a fleet mate, the S.S. Lemoyne  built by the same shipyard 3 years earlier than the S.S. Stadacona. There will most likely be some similarities between the two vessels.

I've also started work on the afterhouse. I used the kit supplied casting for the lower part, mostly for the sake of simplicity. I did, however, replace the resin cast poop deck for one made from 0.030" styrene. It's a bit mroe rigid (and less warped) than the resin piece, plus I needed to make modifications to the width and the forward end. I saved the cast on details of the engineroom skylight and stores hatch for re-use later on, as well as the cast on base for the funnel. There is a second level to the afterhouse that I will have to build on top, and most of those details will be relocated there.

Andy

post-34-0-58892100-1386606153_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-44892300-1386606676_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-01661800-1386606717_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nice work Andy...... she's going to be a beaut !!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Stern anchors are very rarely used, if ever. They are a requirement for the Seaway, so they continue to be fitted. The whole idea is that in the event a ship has to make a crash stop in a canal, it is better to drop a stern anchor, rather that drop one (or both) the forward anchor(s) and risk over-running them and puncturing the underside of the ship.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

think of this like a bicycle.....if in a panic,  you were to use the front brakes....what would happen?   the idea of the stern anchors is a pretty sound idea...they are like the rear brakes.  if the bow anchors were to be used in a panic situation,  the stern may swag left or right.  I had never heard of stern anchors.........they make a lot of sense in a canal situation.   so cool!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It's not so much that the stern swings... (The whole ship swings anyways when going astern, due to transverse thrust). In the canals and dredged channels of the Seaway, ships are travelling at a minimum safe UKC (underkeel clearance). Often less then 2 feet, after squat is factored in. Let's face it, in a canal a ship can only swing so far... But a ship with only 2 feet of bottom clearance, and an anchor that could be well over than in thickness... Well....imagine a really large tuna can meeting a gigantic can opener.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

not good from the cargo's point of spew ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

More on stern anchors later...

A small update this morning. Just the preliminary work on the poop deck structure. The forward part would have been part of the engine casing, while the after part was more accomadations.

And just for my own reference, and everyone else's amusement, another view of the whole ship mocked up as she stands now in construction.

It happens to be a nice sunny (and cold) day, so I'm affraid all the white in the photos gets washed out.

Andy

post-34-0-43467600-1386689415_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-26451800-1386689455_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I spent 6 months of my career sailing lakers. MV JEAN PARISIEN and MV ALGOMARINE. This is 15 years or so ago now. We used to race the steam powered boats. No way we could keep up with them. Steam is such a cool motive force. I'm thankful that once I joined the navy I was able to sail a steamer. Big old diesel boilers and steam turbines. Lots of power. Tres tres cool.

I've been considering giving the stern a bit of a re-think. I'm not entirely happy with the upper level, so I've tkaen a pause on that for some deep thought.

In the mean time, I've started work on the cargo handling system. Self unloading vessels originated on the Great Lakes in the 1920s and 30s. A system of hoppers, gates and belts is used to bring cargo from the bottom of the holds up to a boom, and then off the ship, either into a shore based hopper, or onto an open pad.
Below deck, instead of the cargo holds being flat bottomed, they are slopped into a series of hopper gates. These gates are located above 1 or more longitundinal belts. Crew, known as tunnelmen, open and close the gates to all the cargo to fall ont the tunnel belts. These belts take the cargo forward or aft, depending on which end of the ship has the boom. In a multiple belt system, the tunnel belts unload into short transverse belts known as transfer belts. These belts take the feed and consolidated it  onto another belt that brings the cargo up from below.

There are three types of elevating belts. The simplest type is an Incline Belt. This is a very straight forward open belt that brings cargo up on a shallow angle. This system is generally quieter, but it take up a lot of space to get enough height to depost the cargo onto the boom.

Another system is known as the Bucket Conveyor. This is a special thick belt equipped with rubber buckets that can bring the cargo up almost vertically from below. These are very noisy systems and they are limited in the ammount and types of cargo they can move.

The most efficient and modern system is known as a Loop Belt. This is actually two belts that compress together over the cargo and forms a gigantic "C". These belts can move very fast, and can move a large variety of bulk cargos, there is very little they can't lift.

A basic section of a modern self unloading vessel:

self_unloading_ship_p1_Mode.gif

Which brings me back to the Stadacona. I am fairly certain she had a loop belt system. You can see on the Photo of the Joseph H Franz, the ammound of space needed for an incline belt system. So whether or not she had a bucket belt or a loop is a matter for the rivet counters, the point on this excercise was for get the outer casing made up. The first step was roughing out the dimensions on a piece of paper. The two sides were then created and then the middle parts (my supplier is currently out of white styrene sheet, so I had to resort to black sheet instead.... not as convenient to write on... but it is UV resistant... :rolleyes: )

Anyway, there are a lot more details to work out as well as construction of the massive "A" frame structure that supports the boom. Another challenge lies ahead.

Andy

post-34-0-48212300-1386794406_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-72799200-1386794418_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-75925600-1386794427_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

looking at your diagram...it looks as though there are two conveyors........is the gantry wide enough to handle both of them?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

More good progress, Andy - and thanks for the lesson on self-unloaders - I've never worked with one!

John

Consider yourself lucky, it's not for nothing they are sometimes snidely referred to as "self destroyers" with respect to the crews....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Brings back memories. I remember working in the tunnel with the tunnelmen one night. Got paid overtime for that work. Lost a shovel to the belt. Just ripped it out of my hands and ended up in a coal pile somewhere. I wonder if anyone ever found the handle and blade in a boiler or something.

you'll have to do a cut-away version of this model..........bet that would be a really cool build!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Carrying on with construction of the unloading gear.

The next major structure is the "A" frame. This consists of 2 massive girders that join at the top to support the swivel for the boom headblock.  Although this looks like a simple structure, it is remarkably comlex, given the angles involved. A lot of trial and error. There is still a lot more structure to be added to the two side girders as well as the framing in between them. Eventually they will be supported about 1/3rd of the way down from the top by a vertical girder(s) attaching to the loop belt casing.

One of the key things to be aware of is that the alignment of the various components; the swivel for the headblock, the gooseneck hopper just under the loop belt, and the boom pivot all have to be in line. There is still many adjustments to be made.

And Popeye... you would have to be stark raving made to want to attempt to model the innards of a self unloading system. if you think an admiralty style model is complex.... you have no idea the work that would be involved :blink:

I'm being sent out again to take a ship down the river. I leave tonight and won't be back again until Saturday sometime. The shipyard will undergo another short hiatus in the interim.

Andy

post-34-0-79178600-1386875660_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-19690600-1386875669_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-67278900-1386875676_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

looks very good Andy..........I watch with keen interest.    you know.....you mentioned the conveyors,  and now I have them in my head.   I already got a design for them :huh: :huh: .....this is a very scary thought!    I meant ...for you though........I've never worked around them ;)

have a good trip.....I'll look forward in seeing your next update  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I can relate to that John, still have nightmares about Calculus.. I particularly remember one Applied Maths lecture in Plymouth, we were all sat there in our suits when the Lecturer announces solemnly to us 'Tomorrow gentlemen we shall have differentiation' just as a clap of thunder & flash of lightening  went off, all very Count from Sesame Street !! we struggled not to laugh :)

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄