SS Stadacona by realworkingsailor - Sylvan Scale Models - 1:87 - Resin/Multimedia - kit-bash

Andy,

That unloading gear is starting to look very impressive; but what do you mean, 'trial and error'?  Don't you remember all that arithmetic you had to do for your second mate's ticket? :P

John

All that math... Makes my brain hurt... Besides, it's much more fun taking large pieces of styrene and systematically reducing them into smaller bits of styrene....

Scribe and snap, scribe and snap... ;)

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I like your style Andy, bu--er the math, if it looks right it's good enough.

Your really making swift progress with her mate.

I take it the conveyor on the deck swings out to the unloading quay, is it hydraulically operated or was there a small crane or jib to swing it round.

Either way it looks like equipment that could do some real damage to an operator, not something I would like to get to know.

Have a good trip mate and be safe.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I like your style Andy, bu--er the math, if it looks right it's good enough.

Your really making swift progress with her mate.

I take it the conveyor on the deck swings out to the unloading quay, is it hydraulically operated or was there a small crane or jib to swing it round.

Either way it looks like equipment that could do some real damage to an operator, not something I would like to get to know.

Have a good trip mate and be safe.

Be Good

mobbsie

I go by the DADGAD philosophy.... Deserves A Diagram, Gets A Diagram (or as my grade 10 math class interpreted it "Draw A D*mn Graph, Armpit Dweller" :P )

It still means that to achieve the diagram in real life, I'm let with plent of cut up pieces of plastic. :rolleyes:

As for unloading booms, originally they where controlled with cables, luffing and spewing winches were situated on the boom, and up until the late 1970s this was the standard. After about 1980 they switched to hydraulics, which made things a lot easier. I'll demonstrate the fun with cables in a future post. And I'll see if I can locate a few photos of "when things go.... Um.....wrong" :wacko:

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I'd love to see the size of those hydraulic pumps, that's one hell of a boom to be picking up, wouldn't want to be around when a pipe burst. :(  :( :(  

I should also imagine that a lot of dust was created, was any kind of PPE issued ?

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

In the "good old days" PPE was an afterthought. The whole principle of "git 'er done" was overriding. Nowadays, including PPE, there are other active dust suppression systems such as water spray, covered belts, and vacuum systems that can, and are installed.

As for the hydraulic pumps... Yeah I guess they are pretty big. I have to justify the scale I'm used to working at, over what you guys are normally used to seeing ;)

Although I've never seen a hose burst on an unloading boom hydraulic system, I have seen a hydraulic belt drive go.....a geyser fluid 20 feet into the air.... Luckily it was a glycol system, rather than an oil system... Just messy, no oil pollution thankfully.... :rolleyes:

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Jan,

She's going to be a rather well travelled boat. As is the case with many models, there will many parts of assembly that will have to happen after painting. I'm not too worried about things getting damaged in transit, the resin is pretty tough and the model has a great stable flat "bottom".

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I remember Jean Parisien had wire drums to control her boom. I think Algomarine did as well, can't be sure. I don't know if I have any pics of either of them at this point. Do you have a picture of Algowood with her broken back? I saw her towed by under tug and her boom was cocked up at a weird angle. Clearly her back was broken. Loaded her down to the breaking point. I was in Algomarine at the time. Our Captain was married to the cook in Algowood. Saw a copy of the mate's load plan and said it never should have been approved. I think it happened in Brent Mines? Not sure. We were re-routed as we were supposed to load there but she was stuck on the bottom with a bellyfull of stone and a broken back. It was a beautiful place but VERY out of the way.

Edited by Sailor1234567890

I've lucked out in respect to the stone trade. I'd had enough of self unloaders and went to the flat backs late in '08. I was only at Bruce Mines once, and while yes, it is nice up there, it is one of the many places I'd care not to have to go back to. CSL hasn't been a major player in the construction stone trade anyway. Most of that is split load, small consignment cargos.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I'm sure you'll keep her 'segmented' during her trips to the paint booth.   do you have a place to be able to set up a booth of your own?  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Actually, the hull will have to get painted as a unit. It's easier that way, rather than painting, sanding, filing, fitting, sanding, filling and painting over again. She'd finish up much better getting the grunt work out of the way beforehand.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

it would make sense....separation lines are very hard to eliminate.    sounded like that was the route you were taking,  and you had a remedy for it when the time came.   is the booth large enough to handle such a long hull?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

That will be the challenge. The key will be getting close enough to the booth so the airflow (from the exhaust fan) will catch as much of the overspray as possible. I'll cross that hurdle when I get to it. Besides, as of right now, we're still renovating and not set up yet for painting. A bit of work to convert a spare washroom to a paint room....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Ahoy Andy :D

See looks really nice. I love the extras

Have you ever painted a resin kit before. It is not an easy task.

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

That's exactly it. Although maybe not as labour intensive as prepping a car for paint ;)

The thing about styrene is not to be afraid of it. A few basic tools and a little knowledge of geometry are all you need. And don't be afraid to sketch out everything before hand. When I'm done I'll show you all some of my construction drawings.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

It's been a while, but between being busy with other things, what I've been working on has been a little tedious. The irony is, this is but a taste of what is to come...

Work is continuing on the A Frame bracing. Gleaning what I could from photos, I feel I've come pretty close to the prototype. The two triangular braces are built with styrene angle stock. The cross bracing between the legs was angle that I made up with some thicker material for added rigidity. After that I've been working on the small braces that run across the webb of the main girders. Ohhh... lot's of fun this.

Like I said, only a taste of things to come. The unloading boom will be the ultimate challenge. I've got enough resource photos to use for the basic construction, at issue is the order to procede. More on this as I get further down the line...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

is that angle 'L' stock your using?    looks very......VERY good!   in my younger days,  I had made a salvage crane....something you would see in a junk yard........making the boom was such a fun thing to do.    you bring back fond memories :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've just spent the last hour pouring over photographs trying to get my head wrapped around constructing the boom. I've figured a few things out, but every time I turn around something else pops out at me. Maybe this afternoon I'll be a or to put pencil to paper and start drafting this thing out... Maybe.....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy... just wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

By the time the Parisien was built and the Algomarine was converted, construction had changed to the tubular steel truss. A much stronger, simpler construction. That would have started around the early 1970s. I've also seen a few examples built for the cement trade that have the entire boom as a single enclosed tube.

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy