SS Stadacona by realworkingsailor - Sylvan Scale Models - 1:87 - Resin/Multimedia - kit-bash

I'm probably going to start by first building the bottom framework. I will then have to add all the conveyor paraphernalia (rollers, roller cradles, return rollers, etc). After that is installed, I plan on building up the boom as a series of cross sections, finally being tied together at the top with the longitudinals. After that, there's the boom drive motors to add, the topping lift sheaves, walkways, and all remaining "steel" work. After paint I plan on adding a conveyor of some sort.

After Christmas I'll be able to concentrate more on drafting this whole thing out properly. My construction plan may change a few times yet before then.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy:

I envy you working in the larger scale. 

I have attached a photo of a self unloader boom that was part of a builders model of a gypsum carrier that I repaired.  Looking behind the remounted boom you might note the absence of the superstructure.  It, the boom and all sorts of stuff was in need of repair when the superstructure came loose during shipping of the model from S. America to Chicago.  The model was in approximately 1/100 scale and some of the photo etched railings were almost tied in knots from bouncing around in the case - all were replaced as it's impossible to straighten small photo etched rails.

The boat operates on the Great Lakes and I was able to work from photos of the full size boat as well as the other twin model that made it unharmed from S. America to Europe.

The parts came loose because the "professional" model shop painted the Plexiglass deck and then glued to superstructure down to the painted deck and the paint didn't hold.  The Plexiglass wasn't even sanded to make a good surface for the paint - but I didn't contract to fix anything that wasn't broken.

Wish I had taken a photo of the model before I started the repairs.

Kurt

post-177-0-77516100-1387735727_thumb.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Judging by the style of hatch covers, that's a model of a Panamax sized self unloader. A bit too big for the lakes, but possibly quite active on the east or west coasts.

That's also a modern styl self unloader, loop belt and tubular steel boom, and hydraulic luff and slew.

Any idea when the model was originally built? (Better yet when the prototype was?)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy:

The ship is owned by US Gypsum, the name is Gypsum Integrity, and you are correct that it's not on the Lakes. It is currently off the coast of Sierra Leone near Freetown.   I just did a Google and located it using Marine Traffic.  It was built in 2009.

I was told it was built in Brazil as were the models. The models came in through NOLA and were then shipped to Chicago and someplace in Europe with the European model making it one piece.  Very heavy stone bases and glass cases.  I set the model on a table in my shop on top of a sheet and then took the case off and watched small pieces fall out.  Didn't lose any pieces.

As far as the Brazil build I was told this by the same guy who said it operated on the Lakes so I am not positive.

I like what you are doing with the build and conversion of the model.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Gypsum is a "fun" cargo to carry in a self unloader. It's dusty, it has wicked hangups in the holds, arches over the gates, it's a b!+ch to shovel, and a freight train makes less noise than gypsum running through unloading gear....

Another reason to keep to the flat backs... :rolleyes:

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Just rediscovered: what a treat to follow!

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Hi Andy

That is a great build you have here. And it must be fantastic to be able to combine hobby, profession and calling in such a way.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Peter

The shipyard remains temporarily shut down. We're just over 24 hours without power, with no prospect of when it may return. The neighbourhood looks like a war zone. Thankfully we're all OK, we have heat from our gas fireplace, and running hot and cold water. What a winter.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Sorry to hear that Andy.  I'm guessing it's the ice storm.  No generator????

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Man, what a mess... no power and middle of winter.   Hope you're ok and able to keep warm. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just to let everyone know, power was restored sometime after 9pm Christmas Day. The house is slowly warming back up. Everyone is safe, and this will have been a Christmas to remember. The shipyard will be reopening soon. Thank you all for your concerns, and well wishes. And the turkey was delicious too ;)

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hey Andy, sorry to hear about your power outage,I'll bet that wasn't any fun...... Guess what ..... it was 80 degrees here yesterday!!!!!

man ,it was nice and warm :P :P .... and guess what again!!!!..  it's going to be pretty much the same thru New Years day :D :D .....

Sorry Andy, just had to tell you that..... are we still friends ?? :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Really good news.  I hear there's still over 200,000 without power in US/Canada.  Something to tell the grandkids about!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That you and yours are ok is great news.   Hope you can get some modeling done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

guess I forgot to hit that button again........no matter,  just glad you've got your power back .  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So.... It was a bit of a failed restart. I got called down to Montreal yesterday evening to take one more ship up the river. This is a bit of a last minute thing since ships have to be clear of the Montreal-Lake Ontario section of the Seaway by 23:59 Dec 30..... Maybe I'll get going on my build "next year" :P

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

never a dull moment with the life of a sailor ;)   see you when you get back Andy.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Be safe, stay warm and hurry home!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

To bad Andy,

But know that the members of MSW are with you on board of the ship when the year is changing !

Have a safe trip and we will meet you in the new year when you are at home !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif