SS Stadacona by realworkingsailor - Sylvan Scale Models - 1:87 - Resin/Multimedia - kit-bash

Nice and symmetrical!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Andy,

I'll swap you truss's for ratlines mate.

Your doing a superb job mate, keep it up.

Be Good & Stay Warm

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I'll swap you truss's for ratlines mate.

I dunno... Ratlines: check spacing, tie knot, tie another knot, tie more knots, repeat.

Trusses: measure spacing, confirm spacing, square end of styrene angle, repeat because knife slid while cutting, brace truss in floating jig to ensure straightness, mark angle to cut top of cross member, cut cross member, (if you're lucky it fits right the first time, if not repeat), tack ends of cross member with glue, confirm allignment, spacing and squareness, adjust as needed, finish gluing ends....

I think ratlines are starting to look like a vacation...... :P;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I take your point mate, I wish you all the patience in the world and a continued sharp edge to your blade.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

really sweet the way they are shaping up Andy.    I like your new title  "industrial modeler".........kinda has a nice ring to it ;)   the pictures really show how the angle iron intersects one another.   nicely done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everybody!

And now for another in the series of Andy's Endless Photos of White Plastic Thing-ies (or The Monochromatic Build Log), the second boom side truss is now complete, and symetrical to the first (or as close as I care to get it lacking a scanning electron microscope and a ruler to measure micrometers....).

Yes, my mind is a little warped this morning, as you would expect. When this project is finally finished, if I so much as see another piece of styrene angle... :wacko:

I'm going to have to wait on a few parts to arrive before I go much further.... I have no desire to manufacture 24 plastic sheaves for the topping lift, especially since there are commercially available bits that can hopefully save what's left of my sanity.... (what little there is)...

There's still a boat-load of other details to deal with.

Andy

post-34-0-00623400-1390318076_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-55597800-1390318504_thumb.jpg

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

you must have had your share of erector sets,  when you were a kid..........wonderful!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

hee...hee......that was the industrial modeler in you......crying to get out! :D :D :D :D    we had the same style of roofing in our gym....I too marveled at how symmetrical it was  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So at last, I finally have what could be called a structure. I've now added all the bottom cross members to the unloading boom, and tied the two side trusses together. They stick out because there is a walkway on each side that they also support. The channel running towards the head of the boom at a shallow angle is there to support the belt roller assemblies. The will sit cross-ways on top of the channel. There are a lot of them, but the plan is to make one good one and have a friend of mine cast the rest out of resin. Save me about a decade of work.

Finally in case anyone forgot, I am actually working on a boat.... a pic of the work done to date. Everything is still just dry fit for now, there are many details to be added and much of the painting is easier done while things are still in chunks.

Andy

post-34-0-22543000-1390417770_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-90014900-1390417779_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-23895200-1390417789_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

awesome progress Andy!!!  I'm gonna show this to the admiral.........tell her I wanna do this too!.....ummmmm,  on second thought,  I might wait........it might not end well! :D :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just excellent Andy.

Popeye - I'd like to be a fly on the wall for THAT conversation! :P

something the admiral said to me the other day,  when we were at Hobby Lobby.   I was looking at the large scale kits......yes....plastic.  I saw a  B24 Liberator........and a B25 Mitchel........I love those old bombers...........Richard Petty's race car at 1/16 scale caught my eye as well.   by now,  the admiral was beginning to go into convulsions.....and she blurts out........"but you haven't even built the Jolly Rogers ship I bought you!".   hmmmmmm........could she be hinting at #9?.............Beatles revelation?.........?!   I further made the eyes roll when I mentioned #9.........and even more so,  when I told her that I wished I had a gift card for Hobby Town.......they have a better selection  ;)

how many nails DOES it take to close a coffin?.........the world may never know :D :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It's not the lid you have to worry about Popeye it's the nail through the top of the head. :(  :(:D  :D  :D  

Andy I can only agree 100% with what the other guys have said, she's looking real good and great work on that boom. :dancetl6:

Be Good and Stay Warm

mobbsie

mobbsie

Thanks everyone!

Although I don't think my boat qualifies as a scratch build (the whole hull is pre-moulded), I am nonetheless flattered.

I've been working on rollers and roller carriages. I'll post some photos later on. I'm going to have a friend of mine cast the roller carriages for me, as I need over 50 of the b**gers, and I have no desire to make them all by hand. You'll see why when I get to the pictures.....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy:

I would call this a Semi-Scratch build with all the changes and additions you are making.  Heck. you could call it IRVING :P and it would still be a great job.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Pictures as promised.

The first shot shows two of the three types of rollers used on the boom conveyor. The top carriage rollers are the ones I'm going to have cast. That's the one on the right. Too many variables to make fabricating 50+ of them worth while. I'm going for the easy road.

The ones on the left are to support the belt on its return to the heel. There are considerably less of them. A small break from reality here, in the name of simplicity. These "rollers" are actually a set of wheels spaced out along an axle, rather than a complete roller. Since visibility will be somewhat limited, I opted for this approach. It still looks good enough for me, or anyone poking around.

The second photo shows the boom head and the head roller installed, as well as some of the return rollers.

I am currently working my way down the boom towards where the boom drive will be installed. I've got a little thinking to do in that area as I have a good idea how the boom drive worked, I just need to figure out the construction.

Andy

post-34-0-56147100-1390664691_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-56392300-1390664700_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

So..... rolling right along...

More rollers.

Made up the assembly that supported belt under the loop belt hopper. I've also added the heel roller, and drive and tensioning rollers...and a few more small rollers just for good measure. The boom belt drive motors were locaded on a platform atop the boom. You can see where this will be, with the belt chain drive covers protuding up awaiting their respective motors (castings are on order)Aside from some bracing, I'm basically waiting for parts, sheaves, motors, walkway mesh...... maybe next week I might see something arrive.....

Andy

post-34-0-03763500-1391030450_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-86329700-1391030489_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Wow, I remember you talking about wanting to do this build months back, then I just thought you dropped off the face of the site, now I see you just moved sideways on me, and made this one a reality. She looks huge, and interesting, I am loving the attention to detail you are taking!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Dan, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) it's just going to be static. Trying to get 100+ individual rollers square, true and turning freely is a task I can well do without. At a larger scale, with Michael Mott's machining ability.... I might have considered it...... Maybe......

John, I was originally thinking of using something like construction paper, but I've also begun to think maybe film strip, if I could find some with about 30mm between the perforations (so I could cut the off and still have a belt wide enough).....

Robbyn, yeah.. I'm still here.... Although I'm feeling more like a fringe dweller lately. I'm glad you like my progress to date, but I must admit, she still lacking in a lot of essential details. In due time I'll get there, once I get the unloading gear finished I'll have more time to devote to getting the rest sorted.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy:

I saw a Smithsonian Channel mighty ship segment on the Paul R. Tregurtha, an amazing ship. Is that similar to your current build? The  conveyers (bottom and boom) looked very close to what you are making. Just curious...

Bad luck, Andy.  35mm film is only 24mm between the perforations.

John

I know..... I'd have to locate some larger format film.... If it still exists...

Andy:

I saw a Smithsonian Channel mighty ship segment on the Paul R. Tregurtha, an amazing ship. Is that similar to your current build? The  conveyers (bottom and boom) looked very close to what you are making. Just curious...

Same basic idea, just a generation, or so, newer.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy