SS Stadacona by realworkingsailor - Sylvan Scale Models - 1:87 - Resin/Multimedia - kit-bash

You can still get 70mm film rolls on eBay, but you would have to strip the emulsion off. Photographic fixer will do that

Andy,

Tom beat me to it... You might also check with some film or photography studios around Toronto.  They might even have some developed exposed film (that would be all black) in 70 mm format.   The other thought would be to check with some the guys who make vinyl signs/graphics for cars.  Some of those graphics are pretty thin in thickness.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I got a bunch of those little electric motors.........be glad to send ya some  ;)    what she might lack in detail........she excels in ingenuity!  

oh....I know you still have more to do......but when your finished with it.......it's going to look like a right-smart piece of equipment!  very nice work Andy!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Andy,

Tom beat me to it... You might also check with some film or photography studios around Toronto.  They might even have some developed exposed film (that would be all black) in 70 mm format.   The other thought would be to check with some the guys who make vinyl signs/graphics for cars.  Some of those graphics are pretty thin in thickness.

Hmm... Another good idea... Thanks Mark!

I got a bunch of those little electric motors.........be glad to send ya some  ;)    what she might lack in detail........she excels in ingenuity!  

oh....I know you still have more to do......but when your finished with it.......it's going to look like a right-smart piece of equipment!  very nice work Andy!  :)

Hi Popeye, thanks for the offer, but I have some scale electric motor castings on order that should arrive any day now ;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

So now that the lower rollers are all in place, I can turn my attention to the cross bracing at the bottom of the boom. Nothing really fancy. I've sent the cradle rollers off to be copied, so hopefully before then end of the month I should have them in hand, and along with my still MIA parts I should be able to get this unloading boom out of the way, and get on to the rest of the detail work about the ship.... oh yeah... and finish the hull.... enough of these dry-fit overall photos. ;)

Andy

post-34-0-14619300-1391273721_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-54421300-1391273761_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-85174600-1391273772_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy,

Great work!

Causes one to wonder why anyone could look at media other than wood as inferior........

I may have to make my next vessel one of the Civil War era resin kits!

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Andy,

Nice piece of work. I thought your original idea about construction paper sounded pretty good. It's readily available; you don't have to take any emulsion off; you have to cut to size either way. What's the problem?

Tom

Longevity, really. It's all still up for further discussion, nothing has been decided either way, just opening up options ;)

I may have to make my next vessel one of the Civil War era resin kits!

Cheers,

Jim

I'd say go for it! Keep building what you enjoy :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Lovely work Andy

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Andy

You are doing an amazing job on this intriguing build. I've been looking in for a while but I miss your Pegasus :(. Guess this is now in the front row for the time being so I'll keep up with it instead. Great work!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Don't worry, I will get back to Pegasus at some point. I think that after almost two years of concentrated effort on her, I needed a bit of a breather. To be honest, I did start tying a few ratlines back in December, but I just couldn't get into it. So rather than doing a botch job, I set her aside for the time being.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

The break from Peggy is actually a good plan Andy.  And thanks for the overall on the laker!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

coming from a plastic background.......I see no real difference between the two.   a person working in either medium,  has learned the skills to make do with the materials at hand.   when I took my hiatus from modeling,  I was just learning about plastruct and evergreen products.

I would use everything in the kits.........the runners {sprues} made for excellent roll cages and frames for drag and race cars.   your making good resolve with your plastic knowledge Andy.........the ship looks better and better.....every time I see it!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

So from Tichy came a small box with a dozen coal chute kits. This may seem a bit odd, but in each kit there are two open spoked pulley sheaves. Exactly the style I was looking for. And there's also a good assortment of other industrial odds and ends that could prove useful later on.

I got right to work on assembling the sheaves. I worked out I need 11 sheaves on the boom itself, and 10 on the headblock, at the "A" frame. There is also a block with 2 smaller sheaves, hung below the top of the A frame, that direct the cable down to the luffing winch drums.

The sheaves all sit on a phosphor bronze axle, that came with the chute kit.

Andy

post-34-0-05622800-1391626025_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-34659800-1391626096_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-23750000-1391626295_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

sweet!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I spent some more time the other day working on the headblock. I've just got a few finishing touches left to do. I also got the gooseneck connection to the head of the A frame pretty much finished. A miracle in that I managed to keep the glue away from the working parts, so it pivots and swings freely in all directions required (the capillary action of Tenax is incredible).

Last night I also got the first three rollers from my friend. He's done an amazing job, they are perfectly identical to the master I gave him, and aside from some expected flash, there are no defects or bubbles. He makes his moulds and sets them in a vaccuum to get rid of any air bubbles. After he pours the resin, he puts the casting under pressure. I've seen some other examples of his work, it's the finest resin casing I've ever seen.

Anyway, just that small update for today. The way things are right now, progress is slow. Just the nature of the monster really.

Andy

post-34-0-96845100-1391785200_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-10898900-1391785208_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-49928700-1391785219_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

are you going to age/weather the build Andy, or just prime and top coat

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

are you going to age/weather the build Andy, or just prime and top coat

She'll be fully weathered... Rust, soot, grease, spilled cargo, and all. :)

Hey, Andy; when I was working full time I was always under pressure, so how come I'm not perfect? :P

John

You've got me there, John.... Maybe you're not made of resin? ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Good news, some more of my parts have arrived....namely the mesh I needed. It's a lot better than the aluminium mush, and it's a proper slotted mesh, rather than a chicken wire diamond pattern. I'll have some progress photos later today, possibly.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

First order of business was block and sheaves that direct the topping lift down to the luffing winch. On closer inspection of photos, it turns out these two sheaves are the same size as the others, so that made things a bit easy. The whole assembly is just an oversized (or undersized depending on your perspective) caster, so assembly was pretty straight forward. You can see the block swivels in conjunction with the headblock to keep everything in allignment.

Next up is the replacement mesh. no issues with this stuff. Much better material, and a more realistic pattern to boot.

Finally, I've begun work on the boom pedestal. This is the assembly that supports the heel of the boom. Pretty self explanitory. Aside from gluing the pedestal to the deck, everything else is just dry fit for now, to allow removal for painting later on.

I did a test run reeving some light thread through the blocks and sheaves... it's going to take a lot of line...... something to work on later when things are painted and fixed in place.

Andy

post-34-0-46428400-1391885671_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-78778200-1391885834_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-43707700-1391885844_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-32795100-1391885854_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

REALLY nice mesh.  Congrats!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Andy,

Been looking in from distance and I have to say that the progress your making is fanominal.

She coming along nicely and looking really good, enjoying your journey mate, keep it up.

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-