Floppy sails

Some use a clear lacquer (matte) to finish it after the sails are set with starch or fabric sizing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sails ARE floppy and droopy if there isn't any wind to fill them. It becomes a question of how you want to depict the model. I like to have sails full of wind on my models but getting the look, stiffening and shaping the sails, adds a lot of time and effort. I think its worth it but there are times when I am trying to get the perfect look to the billowing sails that I could almost wish I had opted for sails in a calm.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Actually, most model sails don't really look floppy or droopy enough, because the material used is far too thick and stiff - that is when there is supposed to be no wind.

Billowing sails can also be made by working a wire into the seams or by making the bolt-rope from drilled-together and painted wire.

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

After mountain the sails to the yard, soak the sail in a solution of white glue (30% glue, 70% water). Then hang the sail on a jig to dry. When dried, the sail will be stiff and take on the shape that you want. If you do not like the shape, simply soak and hang it again.

post-1526-0-56617700-1385623362_thumb.jpg

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel