Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

I want to introduce you all to a friend of mine, this is Lope's Hope the 3rd, she's a P-51C owned by a fella named Bruce Eames. She was the first project I worked on when I started doing CAD for Aircorps Aviation nearly 5 years ago and it is with no small amount of pride and satisfaction that I'd like you guys to know that she just took Grand Champion at EAA Airventure 2018.

Dtdt1zO.jpg

Qng8TxR.jpg

The famed Gold Wrench:

Eep5K41.jpg

As humble as it may be, this was my contribution to the project:

FFNqbSt.jpg

We didn't really need the wing or the tail done in CAD, and the doghouse/radiator assembly was done by my coworker. So it's not like I could say I had that major a contribution to her restoration, but I could at least say I had a small part that I am proud of.

Edited by rtwpsom2

Not today but yesterday - didn't get back last night with inclination to post it then - 300+ mile round trip. 

I delivered a commissioned model to the WI Maritime Museum.  Late from my promised date but early for them to get the stand made for this and 2 other models that will be put on display in the Museum's WI Boat Room where there are full size boats made in WI.  This and the other 2 models are models of boats built  in Manitowoc by Burger Boat - still in business today but building mostly aluminum mega yachts.  Burger has built boats in Manitowoc since 1877 - http://www.burgerboat.com/about/history 

The model is 1/12 scale of SPLASH a 26 ft sloop built by Burger in 1935.  It is still owned by family members of the original owner.  The boat still sails on Lake Michigan waters from the Menominee (MI) Yacht Club - the Yacht Club is is just barely into MI and carries WI registration.  I worked from the original plans and many photographs and measurements I made during several visits and one nice day on the water on the boat.

The model is painted in the original 1935 colors.  Fully scratch built with the exception of the turnbuckles, control lines by Syren, and SS wire standing rigging lines.

IMG_3530.thumb.JPG.772372f2df5597977d54a78217ee4c1a.JPG

SPLASH in Menominee Yacht Club

BOW - DECK.jpg

CABIN - AFT ANGLE W- INTERIOR.jpg

CABIN TOP FORWARD.jpg

OVERALL VERT 1.jpg

STERN.jpg

Thanks.  The Museum decided not to put this model and the two others in their model room due to the three of them being of boats built right there in town and telling a bit of the story of boat building in Manitowoc, WI.  There are several bots in the room that are behind and off to camera left.

The Lady Isabel in the WI Boat Room at the Museum - 42' motor launch

IMG_0622.thumb.JPG.0ca2113bbcd58c8808d1df72ec0777d9.JPG

Steve Wheeler's 1/12 scale model of Lady Isabel.  It and the model of Splash will be placed close to where Steve is standing (with his back to the camera looking at Lady Isabel) on one of our measuring and photographing trips.  Steve's model won a gold award, Best Great Lakes and Modeler's Choice in the 2018 competition.  Splash will be entered in the 2019 competition.

36137463_Pictures001-4.thumb.jpg.9a01db716d357ef2db24c78423f50194.jpg

Repaired the carburetor on the lawnmover, which has been down for the past three months.

The Admiral asked me to do something about the jungle out there. 

Started up on the first pull!

Now I can return the parts I bought for the instance.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:39 AM, rtwpsom2 said:

I As humble as it may be, this was my contribution to the project:

FFNqbSt.jpg

We didn't really need the wing or the tail done in CAD, and the doghouse/radiator assembly was done by my coworker. So it's not like I could say I had that major a contribution to her restoration, but I could at least say I had a small part that I am proud of.

Congrats! Beautiful restoration.

Out of interest sake, i'm following a build of a guy doing a 1/18 scale scratch build in aluminum of Lope's Hope, fascinating to see it 'unfolding'

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/74079-118-p51c-mustang-lopes-hope-the-3rd/&

Edited by Jolley Roger

Got the Spitfire all ready for travel. Finished her case up yesterday. Involved deconstructing a Plexiglass case which people on line said could not be done with out ruining it. Never underestimate a Torpedoman and a gallon of Acetone. Got it all apart with zero breakage. Base Case is made of Poplar with several light coats of amber shellac. Interior frame is made of Peruvian Walnut with two coats of wipe on poly and two coats of paste wax. Next weekend I am entering her in the Kitsap County Fair and then on to Vegas....driving down. I would be doing none of this without the great encouragement of members of the board. An exceptional group. Thank you.

6273A68E-6707-4C5F-9B80-1AD2C6EC6D29.jpeg

90BAC00B-2764-4230-BA15-18258BED12D8.jpeg

9D50AAC5-0A83-4B04-AD85-962F6D131AFD.jpeg

7C033A65-CD9B-43EA-A3C6-0E3D19FAA1D9.jpeg

Edited by Jim Rogers

On 7/23/2018 at 3:28 PM, BETAQDAVE said:
On 7/23/2018 at 7:50 AM, John Allen said:

Dave,

Is your elavator a chair on a rail (lift) or a regular elavator.

John 

For a photo of our elevator, look on my shore leave-Christmas time again posting from Dec. 20, 2017.  The elevator is the 9th picture down.  It's something of a hybrid of a lift and an elevator.  There is no elevator shaft or pit in the floor below. 

It's an enclosed car that rides on something like a fork lift thru a hole in the floor.  It has a floor plug that rides on top of the cab that fills the hole above when it goes down.  They run about half the price of a conventional elevator which was one of the primary reasons for getting it. (Repairs and maintenance are high, but I'm thinking less than the conventional units)

John, I copied the picture here since you couldn't find the post.  You can see the bottom of the floor plug above and the fork rails just below that.

elevator.JPG.5427f1de837554ea0a3504c88c3e23aa.JPG

Jim, your gunboat looks awesome in its case. I live right down the street from Kitsap County Fairgrounds but haven't gone in a few years because of my bad hip. I might make an exception for this. Of course Lou and I need to make it to the Goat Locker one of these days. I figured you were a submariner. I worked at Bangor for 22 plus years doing Explosives Safety Site Approvals for the region.

On 7/22/2018 at 3:19 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

At this point some people would be saying: “what next?’  But don’t fall for that way of thinking as it tends to bring on something worse! 

Oops, I guess by just mentioning the magic saying  "what next?" , something else hit us again today.  Our AC unit (installed in 88 when we built our house) just gave up the ghost!  :o (the latest quotes are running $4600 - $ 5900 for a replacement)  While it did give us many years of service, we just wished that the timing of its demise didn't coincide so closely with our other recent problems!  Our finances could use some breathing room.:omg:

16 minutes ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Oops, I guess by just mentioning the magic saying  "what next?" , something else hit us again today.  Our AC unit (installed in 88 when we built our house) just gave up the ghost!  :o (the latest quotes are running $4600 - $ 5900 for a replacement)  While it did give us many years of service, we just wished that the timing of its demise didn't coincide so closely with our other recent problems!  Our finances could use some breathing room.:omg:

Oh wow. So sorry to hear about your misadventures and breakdowns. But an A/C unit that lasted since '88 really gave you a long-life, many would have died long before that. On a positive note, a more modern unit will be much more energy efficient and cost you less on your electric bill each month.

40 minutes ago, alde said:

Jim, your gunboat looks awesome in its case. I live right down the street from Kitsap County Fairgrounds but haven't gone in a few years because of my bad hip. I might make an exception for this. Of course Lou and I need to make it to the Goat Locker one of these days. I figured you were a submariner. I worked at Bangor for 22 plus years doing Explosives Safety Site Approvals for the region.

Thanks Al. Actually I was a Surface Torpdeo Technician - fixed em, built em and evaluated them.

13 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Our finances could use some breathing room.:omg:

Dave,

I hate to hear that especially on top of the elevator. One of those things that jumps up and bites you in the butt. I'm sure you had a qualified trustworthy company or individual check it out. Not the time of year in your area to be without A/C.

I had an old unit I thought went out (not cooling) called the original installer to check he said I needed a new one, after he fiddled with it fan motor wouldn't kick on the next day a knock on the door salesman from same co. with prices for a new one. Passed and got a friend who had been out of town check it. He opened access door in 5 minutes he started laughing, he said you almost got bit. He found a 2 amp fuse (for motor) had been pulled out and it was laying behind some wiring. He checked further and said cooling problem was the outside unit was not getting enough air he told me to get a cleaner sold at A/C parts houses (comes in a gallon reasonable) I sprayed the outside A/C 30 minutes later hosed down could not believe the crud leaf cuttings that washed out all the fin blades polished like new.

I also cleaned the inside coil with same. Like a new unit a .50 cent fuse and some cleaner and avoided getting ripped off big time. I know I was lucky just passing this on I know you probably vetted your guy.

Good luck your due for some good Karma

Well, I got bids from three companies.  Ended up billed for $4200.  It turns out that the compressor had almost no Freon (yes it was that old)) left and the unit had been running on borrowed time.  Had the furnace serviced at the same time, and found that the filter was about two years late getting replaced.  Apparently the fact that the furnace fan was also used by the A/C unit, meant that the A/C was laboring mightily to push the air thru and was the main factor in it's failure.  (Note to self: CHANGE THAT FILTER EVERY YEAR!)  Seems that spending $50 for a filter is better than spending $4200 for a new A/C unit.:blush:  Well, I guess that development seems to be my own fault, so I need to kick myself in the butt for that.:default_wallbash:

Took two of my favorite girls out for lunch and shopping today, my wife and her sister. It's so comical to be around those two and listen to the banter between them. They just laugh and joke and laugh and joke. Love it.

Then we shopped at my favorite store, Rural King. They have everything in that store. The girls get lost in their shopping world while I get to hang out in my favorite department. I just love shopping for new "hardware".

Besides that, I get to try on new hats, too. Hiyo Silver! Away!

daddy rabbit.jpg

20180805_143525.thumb.jpg.3e2ace8726d65533de75b575a54b9fd9.jpgLast Wednesday I got the carburetor for my bike back from cleaning and tuning. Yesterday I put most of the parts back.

Final doings today, fill the tank with fresh gas, and started her up.

She is alive!

Tab and insurance tomorrow and I will be back on the road again. 

9 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

20180805_143525.thumb.jpg.3e2ace8726d65533de75b575a54b9fd9.jpgLast Wednesday I got the carburetor for my bike back from cleaning and tuning. Yesterday I put most of the parts back.

Final doings today, fill the tank with fresh gas, and started her up.

She is alive!

Tab and insurance tomorrow and I will be back on the road again. 

Sportster?