Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

I’ve spent the last few months working on the 3D print design to replace the top of the old MDC Santa Fe tender casting. The MDC part shows its 1950s/60s vintage, and resembles the 12K gallon tender at a distance, but not up close. The locomotive end of the body is flat, rather than the curved surfaces it should have. The top has square corners on the oil tank and the rear deck is raised above the beading on the side rather than set below it, and the rivets around the edges are set too far from the sides.

5b0ec1e94ffe4_TenderEndLocoRot_01Cleaned.jpg.46aab42b19a2635189802c21740f2074.jpg

5b0ec1e9b548e_TenderTopRotCleaned.jpg.f40bcc5e2d1836d2ef85bfdf240b9e4f.jpg

Here is the design I have. The ends of the lower portion of the tender front are square, for now, as I have to have a print made, to find the proper fit for a final version. I have to remove the top, and front of the tender body, and thin the top of the sides to a more scale thickness. That will be the tricky part, but I think I have a way to do it thought out.

These pictures are of all the subassemblies assembled.

5b0ec29ed1a52_OilBunkerInsertMDCTender_01.thumb.jpg.4c218641545a4791b369c5fd7ef876a6.jpg

5b0ec29f7c158_OilBunkerInsertMDCTender_03.thumb.jpg.35e81260ce644385f90d78e6ac7d185d.jpg

5b0ec2a016200_OilBunkerInsertMDCTender_02.thumb.jpg.9b80c4f9a612d7b7acc4bd71215b7253.jpg

6 hours ago, John Allen said:

Hey Lou where were you.

I wasn't there. I was originally going to go even though it seemed about as exciting as watching the grass grow, (An action sport here in the NW in spring) but the Admiral bailed at the last minute and I 'surrendered' my ticket as well so that my youngest son and his girlfriend could go. (The two on the left) Now if they had gone to the Museum across the other side of the field I would have told the wife, "See you later" and been out the door! Lots of WWII planes and tanks and stuff like that over there!

Besides like I said I look kind of like a frog, (The kiss my wife tried years ago didn't work) and taking pictures of me is pretty hard on the camera and they tend to quit working.

Today, I drove.  8 1/2 hours and 450 miles later (300 miles/5 hours to get out of Maine), I am in my old home town for 2 nights - big celebration tomorrow for the 50th anniversary of the founding of my old Boy Scout troop (Eagle, class of 1977).  Also got word that I was not selected for one of the jobs I interviewed for - still waiting for word on the other.

You are looking for a job as well? What is your field?

I retired several years ago as an  Executive officer in my field add an internatonal LLP. Now I want a job as a peon. Something I could do with my  Eyes closed. Simple PC repair, hooking up printer or scanner, as long as I'm interacting with the client face-to-face instead of over a phone, or in a meeting, or webinar.

Exact I hate text the most. OK I take that back. Voice recognition sucks.

8 1/2 hours of driving :rolleyes:

At old home for two nights:)

50th anniversary of Scout troop:D

Not selected for job:(

Still having to wait on other results:o

Can't tell if I want to hit the 'like' button or not! :huh:

To me To me, 8 hours of driving would  Stink. Old hood for 2 days, 50th anniversary awesome!  Not that job, big  Big time thumbs down. Still got another chance? Awesome!

67% to the good. I'll give that a thumbs up any time period.

Well I gotta tell 'ya...once I did this retirement thing 8 years ago, I finally found something I am super good at doing...whatever the heck I want to do. I'm real good, I mean excellent at retirement. :cheers:

I am only I am only 55. Mostly I am OK with doing nothing productive, but I miss interacting with people. I like people and I like to make people laugh.

I'm not collecting any so security of any sort. Any money I make go straight into retirement.  For my wife.

16 minutes ago, CDW said:

I mean excellent at retirement

I found that the learning curve was pretty short, but I still think the hours are long and the pay stinks! I demand shorter hours, and higher pay for not getting it done!

I can't sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time anymore. I think sleep is reserved for young people, the younger you are the sounder you sleep. My kids can sleep through an earthquake............... Actually I think they HAVE slept through an earthquake!:o

36 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I found that the learning curve was pretty short, but I still think the hours are long and the pay stinks! I demand shorter hours, and higher pay for not getting it done!

But the fringe benefit... you get to sleep with the boss.

47 minutes ago, lmagna said:

10 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

:dancetl6::D:cheers:

I I go to bed at the latest 10:00 p.m. and get up at the earliest 10:30 a.m.  I take 4 mg of haldol. A schizophrenic takes  20 to 25 mg. I cannot imagine. I sit around all day staring off into space I'm playing on my phone and wishing my head The heart to work on my ship. I have a very mild form of tourette's syndrome. Facial text and jerky movements with hands and legs.

No foul language that I can get away with . Most schizophrenics  Get tourette's syndrome from taking the held all at such high dosages for long terms.

I think I have spelled Hal DOL enough times that you know what I mean.

Got Class 5 certified with forklift. Didn't know that WA has one of the most demanding regulation when it comes to certification.

On top of that, our company has increased the level of safety and handling, which is good.

Next month it is time for Class 7 (Telehandler). 

Company paid for all.

No, everybody working in spareparts departments  and the technicians had to take the class.

No option to bail out. Even the people in Sales had to go through with this.

Totally 200 people.

Only ten people will get certified with Class 7. As most or our locations doesn't have telehandlers. 

55 minutes ago, CDW said:

Yes there is that benefit that I had not considered. Some others would be the short commute in the mornings and evenings, and meals are included, (Most of the time).

Congratulations Per

It looks like you are getting close to the ideal company position. Too valuable to fire!:D 

There is nothing like job security! Back when I was gainfully employed my job was secure...... It was me they could do without!

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

There is nothing like job security! Back when I was gainfully employed my job was secure......

The ideal employee ... if only there were more of you ... an employers dream ...

11 hours ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

You are looking for a job as well? What is your field?

I retired several years ago as an  Executive officer in my field add an internatonal LLP. Now I want a job as a peon. Something I could do with my  Eyes closed. Simple PC repair, hooking up printer or scanner, as long as I'm interacting with the client face-to-face instead of over a phone, or in a meeting, or webinar.

Exact I hate text the most. OK I take that back. Voice recognition sucks.

Looking to improve my status. Currentky only getting very part time hours.  Need more than that to get by.

Current emoloyer is USPS, but opportunities within 50 miles are sparse.  Previous career was in Emergency Management.

12 hours ago, lmagna said:

I can't sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time anymore

Well Lou where in the same bed (figuratively speaking don't want anybody to get the wrong idea)

Prostrate shot approx. 3 trips a night to the head. A good night 5 hrs. sleep average 3 to 4. Have to sleep sitting up because of back. All ok I wake up everyday on this side of the dirt;)