Jump to content
Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Recommended Posts

On 6/4/2018 at 2:36 AM, Omega1234 said:

Finished my First Diorama. The Spitfire ( MSW Philadelphia) pulled up on Lake Champlain beach.

Jim,

 

I must have been asleep I keep staring at this and cannot believe how realistic it is, put a hole in the bow waterline like the real thing as it was recovered showing where it was holed with a round shot, and one could not tell the difference. What are the measurements of the boat? Absolutely fantastic does not begin to describe your diorama. Kudos X 10:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 9:08 AM, lmagna said:

I do not qualify myself in this category, but it does not stop me from recognizing and admiring those builds that do qualify, and your's certainly do!

 

It would be a true pleasure to see more of your work, in fact I can not imagine ever getting tired of seeing work like yours.

 

If you don't post more pictures Al and I will just have to knock on your door and demand a personal tour! :D (We live close enough to do it! Especially Al.)

I’m in Lou. I would love to visit the Goat Locker and see that beautiful diorama in person and meet another one of the guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Name the date/time and if the doctors don't have first dibs on my mangy hide we can sneak up on him before he realizes what he's done!

We should probably make sure he knows what he's getting into before we gang up on him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Allen said:

Jim,

 

I must have been asleep I keep staring at this and cannot believe how realistic it is, put a hole in the bow waterline like the real thing as it was recovered showing where it was holed with a round shot, and one could not tell the difference. What are the measurements of the boat? Absolutely fantastic does not begin to describe your diorama. Kudos X 10:cheers:

John the Diorama is 35 x 18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alde said:

I’m in Lou. I would love to visit the Goat Locker and see that beautiful diorama in person and meet another one of the guys.

Just give me a time. Went to Edensaw today and picked up the wood for the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jim Rogers said:

Just give me a time

All joking aside, you are the host so we will wait until the time works for you. Besides I need to take a second mortgage out to help pay for the ferry! :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 12:24 AM, Jim Rogers said:

Thanks. My first attempt. It was a lot of fun. I am building the case out of Maple, should make it pop.

 

Jim:

It would be great if you could attend the NRG Conference and bring this great model for the exhibit room - I would love to see it in person.

Kurt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

Jim:

It would be great if you could attend the NRG Conference and bring this great model for the exhibit room - I would love to see it in person.

Kurt

Kurt

 Tricia and I are attending this years conference and I would love to bring the Spitfire but this Diorama is a monster. 35x18x24with the case probably weighs 35 lbs. How would I transport that? Can’t take it on the plane. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lmagna said:

All joking aside, you are the host so we will wait until the time works for you. Besides I need to take a second mortgage out to help pay for the ferry! :huh:

Yes Jim, I'm pretty flexible with some limitations. Louis has the ferry to deal with but I'm in Bremerton so it's easy for me. Whatever you guys decide I'll work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CDW said:

Created me 1st model boat with me 3D printer.

That's not fair!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks better than mine that was made from wood!

KIF_4003.thumb.JPG.3c4e49b4a3c98ecc7397e8b77e39e150.JPG

Congratulations, Can't wait to follow your progress. 

Edited by lmagna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cog said:

but you have aworking one!!!!!!!!

It's amazing how after possibly a hundred years or more, this design still amazes kids in bathtubs all over the world! This one was probably my youngest's favorite bath toy, (Besides a robot) for years! It is retired now though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful work, Julie.

I know nothing about building a guitar, so I am wondering what the diagonal pieces inside do, and how it is determined where they are placed?

Once you said something about, the sustain. What pieces (all?) are part of the guitar's ability to sustain and how do you test that before building the guitar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CDW said:

Beautiful work, Julie.

I know nothing about building a guitar, so I am wondering what the diagonal pieces inside do, and how it is determined where they are placed?

Once you said something about, the sustain. What pieces (all?) are part of the guitar's ability to sustain and how do you test that before building the guitar?

Not to step on Julie’s post but the diagonal pieces are braces. In order to get sustain the guitar top is pretty thin and fragile. When the guitar is strung up depending on the gauge of the strings there is between 150 and 180 pounds of force pulling up on the bridge. The braces give the top (soundboard) some added strength to withstand the force. The braces are shaped and thinned to give a compromise between strength and flexibility so the soundboard will resonate. Julie did a great job shaping the braces. It’s gonna sound great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alde said:

Not to step on Julie’s post but the diagonal pieces are braces. In order to get sustain the guitar top is pretty thin and fragile. When the guitar is strung up depending on the gauge of the strings there is between 150 and 180 pounds of force pulling up on the bridge. The braces give the top (soundboard) some added strength to withstand the force. The braces are shaped and thinned to give a compromise between strength and flexibility so the soundboard will resonate. Julie did a great job shaping the braces. It’s gonna sound great.

Why then do solid body electric guitars like a Fender or Gibson get miles and miles of sustain. Nothing thin about those...we call them an axe. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model shipcraft.

The Nautical Research Guild puts on ship modeling seminars, yearly conferences, and juried competitions. We publish books on ship modeling techniques as well as our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, whose pages are full of articles by master ship modelers who show you how they build those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you what details to build.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
×
×
  • Create New...