Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Today I finished the last bit of wood work on the entertainment center.  All I need now is a helper to drag the big pieces outside so I can spray a finish on them.

EntCtr_034.jpg

I made three shelves for each sides.  The black panels on the center doors are speaker cloth.  The woofer will sit inside that cabinet.  Once it's finished and bolted together I'll install LED strip lighting along the top inside. 

Edited by Julie Mo

Entertained my neighbors Tuesday, as my wife had to call 911 to give me an ambulance ride to the hospital with an very pronounced erratic heartbeat.  Ran lots of tests but couldn't determine what the problem was as they all proved negative.  Was sent home late yesterday and instructed to consult with my doctor next week to try to figure out the source of the problem as it was not a heart related one.  :Whew:Also told to check back with Cardiology next month as they admitted that they were concerned and wanted to know what else could be causing it.   

All's well today (looks like it may just be something else to try and live with) as only a few minor episodes since my ambulance ride.  Need to keep a log of symptoms of all episodes so mystery may be solved and find out what treatments can be found to control it if possible.

Still wanted to get something done today to prep for another deluge, and do some more repair work on our mailbox. (taking pictures as it progresses)  Someday I'm hoping to get back down to my model shop, but still waiting for the new elevator and all of our residual bad Karma still has to be dealt with first, including the dishwasher as cleaning it out didn't help after all. 

Dave, that is scary when your heart is acting up like that, and then being released when the doctors can't find the source. Blood clots can cause this too.

Be careful, we all are thinking of you and waiting to hear something good.

Resently Jack posted some pictures of an area he was able to get out to for a day.

My wife knows how much I love hiking and the outdoors and how much I miss it after three back surgeries and a stint in the hospital when after developing a blood clot after the last surgery I got to visit the hospital again for a cardiac pulmonary embolism. The drugs I now need to take and continued issues with my back and hips really put a dent into my outdoor adventures. So she offered to go with me and do a couple of days in the mountains in an area we have been going to for over thirty years now but I have not been able top make for a couple of years.

It is also the first time in about fifteen years that we would be alone somewhere without the kids. Most of it went OK and we were able to get there and I was able to get a camp set up. Our entire state is buried in smoke from forest fires but other than that the area was pretty much the same as we remembered it. we had to come back home early, after only just one night as my wife was not able to get warm, even by the campfire in the morning and I decided that another day and night of misery for her was just not worth it. Also our kids had expressed to us that they were really not looking forward to another night in our big empty house alone. So we came home today instead of tomorrow but still had an OK time on our first date in over fifteen years.

image.png.dab62f59371f6ab27cc4993af53e1c61.png

image.png.807f752062ff083674ee3690163826ab.png

The trail is on the right side and is a little easier to follow in person than it is to see in the picture.

image.png.60a34bd7c0c189ef15180706bc84aba7.png

image.png.1203a3d6129a7a77012cd592b01cc5c4.png

Trees next to our campsite that I call my Lord Of The Rings refuge.

image.png.2c78e82cf15ed089b1fb7fa55f0f57f4.png

My wife's favorite tree, also next to our campsite. We always spend some time trying to find new animal shapes in the moss. We have found several birds, a sloth, a monkey,and a few other more fantastical creatures, No predators though.

Just thought I would share a little of our wilderness that I can still get to.

Edited by lmagna

Lou,

11 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

dishwasher as cleaning it out didn't help after all. 

Dave,

Sorry soda and vinegar didn't help its a free fix before you have to call someone and dig into your pocket:(

Karma seems to be working, erratic heartbeat with apparently no cause can be the result of many minor causes. Assume you do not have a pacemaker, consult with your Dr. if he is the kind of person that takes the time to listen really listen tell him in detail what you have been going through. Stress can also be the cause of your problem and you have had a lot of stress. Think only good thoughts have peace of mind envelop your body, we want good Karma.

Hang in there, peace upon you.

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

Just thought I would share a little of our wilderness that I can still get to.

Lou,

That was a nice entry, and a beautiful place to have a date. Kudos. Was that early morning mist or smoke from the fires. reading your post it seems to be smoke, sad.

On your second date buy the kids gift certificates to all the gourmet restaurants, McDonalds Pizza Hut, Burger King, and some cash for UBER and they will be happy campers.

Glad you could get away chicken soup for the soul.^_^

15 hours ago, John Allen said:

buy the kids gift certificates

We left them our bank card and told the 15 year old that they could go to any of the places in the area. (We have all you mentioned plus a few others, all within walking distance). For some reason he kind of freaked out and didn't want to go anywhere at all. He at least did cook Macaroni and Cheese with hot dogs for the two of them. They actually consider that food, even when we are home. I doubt we will try this again for a few years unless we get one of the older kids to come to the house and hang with them. That would probably work out best anyway as they are all video game players and it would be like a big party with no old fossils hanging around putting a damper on the fun! 

The pictures were taken in the morning. Normally on a clear day there would have been streams of light shining through the trees but as you can see the smoke was pretty bad. There may have been an overcast as well but it was not possible to tell. There could have been a few other even more interesting pictures but the haze was so strong that they were either not visible or just ghost images. I have never seen it like this around here before.

Edited by lmagna

So I've been an amateur genealogist for a long time. First, collecting family records. Then, making countless trips to the library to collect more records. Then the age of internet and making countless digital queries and hours upon hours of research. So I finally got around to sending off for my DNA test and just got my results back today.

What kind of Jedi mind game is this? Along with the ethnicities I knew about through research, come to learn I am also American Indian and Nigerian? Never would have guessed that Nigerian part in a zillion years. But I did suspect already through research my American Indian heritage. Well....all this was a surprise.  

1 hour ago, CDW said:

So I've been an amateur genealogist for a long time. First, collecting family records. Then, making countless trips to the library to collect more records. Then the age of internet and making countless digital queries and hours upon hours of research. So I finally got around to sending off for my DNA test and just got my results back today.

What kind of Jedi mind game is this? Along with the ethnicities I knew about through research, come to learn I am also American Indian and Nigerian? Never would have guessed that Nigerian part in a zillion years. But I did suspect already through research my American Indian heritage. Well....all this was a surprise.  

Right Kunta Kinte, could they tell you which village in Nigeria, and which Native Indian tribe ??? ;) 

Welcome to the American melting pot.:D

Here's mine:

REGION APPROXIMATE AMOUNT

Europe 100%

Great Britain 67% Range: 45%-87%

Italy/Greece 15% Range: 5%-25%

Europe West 6%  Range: 0%-21%

Scandinavia 5% Range: 0%-17%

Trace regions: 7%

Iberian Peninsula 3% Range: 0%-11% 

Europe East 2% Range: 0%-9%

Ireland 1% Range: 0%-6 %

European Jewish < 1% Range: 0%-2%

Finland/Northwest Russia 0% Range: 0%-< 1%

Africa 0% 

Benin/Togo 0%

Ivory Coast/Ghana 0%

Africa North 0%

Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers 0%

Senegal 0%  

Nigeria 0%

Mali 0%

Cameroon/Congo 0%

Africa Southeastern Bantu 0%

America 0%

Native American 0%

Asia 0%

Asia East 0%

Asia South 0%

Asia Central 0%

Pacific Islander 0%

Polynesia 0%

Melanesia 0%

West Asia 0% < 1%

Middle East 0%

Caucasus 0% Range: 0%-< 1%

Edited by lmagna

I often thought of sending a sample from my dog for one of those tests....  but then, I have weird sense of humor/reality at times.

On the serious side, having a trace of African isn't unusual in most countries as that area was a major starting point for homo sapiens in general.  

I had to send my sample three times to get a reading. The first two tests, they could not extract the DNA from my samples. The third test went through. My wife and youngest daughter had theirs go through on the first try.

So did they charge you for the additional tries? What company did you use? We did the Ancestry.Com.

It would be interesting to see if they caught your dog DNA Mark. I do know that they are able to trace dog breeds also as there was a question about a dog that some people had and they had it tested and it came back pure bred. They were surprised, they thought it would come back a mix with some larger breed.  

Mark,

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I often thought of sending a sample from my dog for one of those tests

My daughter at times has nothing to do and retrieved two dogs from Animal Rescue. As one can imagine they looked like 20 different breeds. There's folks that do doggie DNA, she paid $125.00. 

Her results were 10% of this 25 % of that and etc. with percentages. The conclusion the highest % was that of a Dalmatian for one and a Weimaraner for the other.

When she brought them home She asked me what I thought they were. (before the DNA). I looked at the dogs and said that one has a lot of Dalmatian a lot of black spots white background. The other a Weimaraner pretty gray coat. Man I could have used that $ 125.00.

Send me a pick and I'LL identify for 1/2 price $ 75.00:)

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

So did they charge you for the additional tries? What company did you use? We did the Ancestry.Com.

We used Ancestry.com as well. No, they do not charge for test failures. They just notify you that another sample is required and upon your request, send another kit free of charge. Took months and months to get mine done because of the two failures.

4 hours ago, John Allen said:

Send me a pick and I'LL identify for 1/2 price $ 75.00:)

I kind of knew my ancestry already, at least back a few generations. I was not surprised all that much in the results, but the percentages were news to me. They kind of made sense after thinking about them though. For some reason it seemed important to my youngest son and wife and they gave me the test kit as a Christmas present. I think I took a coupe of months just to get it sent in and then they took a month or two to come up with the results.

Our mens’ book group recently read a book titled something like “A Brief History of Everyone that Ever Lived.  One chapter was titled “We’re All Related to Charlemagne.”  It seems that if we go back enough generations, mathematically the number of our ancestors at a given time exceed the then population of the world.

Roger

On 8/23/2018 at 9:05 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

Entertained my neighbors Tuesday, as my wife had to call 911 to give me an ambulance ride to the hospital with an very pronounced erratic heartbeat.  Ran lots of tests but couldn't determine what the problem was as they all proved negative.  Was sent home late yesterday and instructed to consult with my doctor next week to try to figure out the source of the problem as it was not a heart related one.  :Whew:Also told to check back with Cardiology next month as they admitted that they were concerned and wanted to know what else could be causing it.   

All's well today (looks like it may just be something else to try and live with) as only a few minor episodes since my ambulance ride.  Need to keep a log of symptoms of all episodes so mystery may be solved and find out what treatments can be found to control it if possible.

Still wanted to get something done today to prep for another deluge, and do some more repair work on our mailbox. (taking pictures as it progresses)  Someday I'm hoping to get back down to my model shop, but still waiting for the new elevator and all of our residual bad Karma still has to be dealt with first, including the dishwasher as cleaning it out didn't help after all. 

Dave, I had the same kind of thing a few years ago.  Went to the doc's not feeling too well, she checked me out and next thing I know three paramedics walk into the examining room dragging a cart and gurney.  Strapped me to the gurney and wheeled me out to an ambulance.  Lots of tests, hours of waiting and at the end of it all they said they could find nothing wrong.  Only thing I could figure was I was under a lot of stress at the time.  Dove into my Zen books, warded off stress any way I could and so far no repeats.  Hope you're feeling better now.

9 hours ago, lmagna said:

What company did you use? We did the Ancestry.Com.

For some reason I can't help but think those companies are gathering DNA info to sell to whoever finds use for it.  Maybe it's the knowledge of what  Facebook, Google, the NSA, et al has done that makes me a skeptic.

9 minutes ago, Julie Mo said:

For some reason I can't help but think those companies are gathering DNA info to sell to whoever finds use for it.  Maybe it's the knowledge of what  Facebook, Google, the NSA, et al has done that makes me a skeptic.

BINGO !     Remember the two "Cold Cases" solved recently with "Familial DNA"  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    And don't forget the Insurance Companies !  DNA shows what "inherited genetic diseases" (e.g Tay Sachs) you might be carrying.  And then there is George Orwell's predictions :o:o

I guess I shouldn't make a joke (lame as it was) about DNA tests...   My sense about this is what the others have expressed, there's gold in that thar' data.    I just hope that some of the places doing these tests have ethics and don't sell their data.    I do believe what Jack said is very true.

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I do believe what Jack said is very true.

It's true Mark. The news around here spent several days commenting on the cases and the use of "Public genetics" DNA testing results rather than forensic DNA testing to help solve the cases.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:57 PM, CDW said:

Oh, and they also give you a detailed list of all your cousins. I have thousands on my list. I only knew a handful, all the rest are news to me.

So did they send you personal or contact info on any or all of these thousands of alleged cousins?

And if so, does that mean they also sent your info to thousands of people you don't know?

Let us know how many Birthday Parties you get invited to.

:champagne: