Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:44 AM, CDW said:

I don't know if they could, but they didn't. They provide nothing more than matching your DNA with the ethnicity and the percentage of it.

Have you done an Ancestry DNA test?

nope, I don't think  will be a pure bread :D :D :D and I'm not bothered by not knowing ...

2 hours ago, Altduck said:

So did they send you personal or contact info on any or all of these thousands of alleged cousins?

And if so, does that mean they also sent your info to thousands of people you don't know?

Let us know how many Birthday Parties you get invited to.

:champagne:

Who sees your ethnicity and who in your family can/cannot see you is totally a user choice. You can choose to keep everything to yourself, or share it.

Genetic matches (cousins) are generally identified to a common set of ancestors. For example, my 7th great grandfather is Benjamen Harrison, one of the signers of the US Constitution. I knew this before my DNA test because my two first cousins researched it 50 years ago while they were in college and both took membership in D.A.R., who verified it. Now that my DNA has been analysed, I have been in contact with a 7th cousin who has the same grandparents in their lineage. In both our cases, we knew our lineage before the DNA, the DNA just gave a secondary affirmative check.

Hell, I'll even invite an old codger like you to my birthday party as long as you bring me a nice birthday gift...like maybe a great model ship or something. No DNA match required.:10_1_10:🤐

17 minutes ago, davyboy said:

Let's face it folks,we're all mongrels really. A bit of this and a bit of that but that's the human race  Also,you can bet your boots that your DNA info will be up for sale sooner or later. It's all about the money..........

Dave :dancetl6: 

What gives you the confidence your DNA has not already been collected by someone? Wouldn't be hard to do.

oh, and by the way, once you reach back to your 3rd great grandparents, the DNA that shows up in your blood is likely to be less than 1%. So what you are seeing with these tests is NOT ancient history. it's much more recent than that.

Today I installed a new stereo and speakers in my 1992 Toyota pickup. The old one just quit working. The truck has 264,565 miles and is still going strong. Of course I did rebuild the engine a few years back when it only had 219,000 miles. 

I also got a letter in the mail today from the IRS. Not fun at all. They are telling me I owe them $4300 from back in 2016 when I retired and cashed out my Thrift Savings Plan. At the time I had them withhold 18%. I think I'll be able to straighten it out. At least I hope so.

My sympathy is REALLY strong for you on the IRS thing as I had something similar happen when I cashed out both my wife's and my retirements and turned them into a fully invested account. I didn't have penalties, except that I was dealing with the IRS, but all of the sudden out of nowhere my accountant let me know that I would have to write a $30,000 check to the IRS at the end of the year, (A few months away)! I almost died of shock! That was definitely NOT part of my original retirement plan idea!    

Today I brought the cabinets into the spray booth and put the final coat on them.  After clearing them out, I started setting up for the flat pieces, doors, drawer fronts, tops.  Then the clouds started rolling in and before I knew it, it was raining in my spray booth. 

Did I mention my spray booth is my driveway?

I just scheduled an electrical upgrade for my garage.

It will be a sub breaker panel with 220V and 20 amp 110V.

I am pretty sure that I will upgrade my band saw to a Rikon

3 hp 14" resaw unit ( 10-353 ) .  I am tired of a 10-15 min

pass ( 8/4 Hard Maple 2ft ) using my old Emco BS3 - a 3 wheel glorified bench top

with a 3/4 hp motor.  It eats up blades.  The holdup has been

where to park it and still have room for my car - and the 15 amp 110V

power that is there now.  It will be a 2.5 x 3 foot column.  It has trucks and a

little red wagon type handle.  I think I have a place to park it and not occlude my car.

I am sure that I will not get enough use to fully justify the expenditure,

but the frustration removal should,.  Perhaps - if it works out - I can 

work a deal with local HRSMS members  who need resawing done.

Jaager, if you do a lot of resawing you might want to look into the Laguna Resaw King blade.  I tried Wood Slicer (good results but dulls very quickly) and the Lenox Woodmaster CT before going to the Resaw King.  The CT is carbide tipped and cuts quickly but results, when really sharp, are good but it doesn't take long for that to deteriorate to so-so.  I've resawed boards up to 9" wide and 10' long with both the Lenox CT and Resaw King and the RK is simply better.  IMHO....

And another thing, if I am to stick my nosey nose into other people's business, Laguna's 14/12 is now selling on Woodcraft for $990.  I know nothing about it other than it has a 14" resaw capacity.  I have an 18" bandsaw that has a max of 10" of resaw.   With a sharp blade it will resaw anything, as long as I have the patience of a saint.  So do your due diligence before buying.

But I have to add, I just resawed a bunch of 2x6 cedar boards into thirds and it was almost fun.  And I did say, "almost".    

Julie,

Resawing is all I will be using it for.  I do not contemplate cutting anything thicker than 4".

And that is rare, I mostly work with 8/4 or less rough stock. I do not build furniture, so cutting panels is not something I do.

Thanks for the blade recommendation.  I gotta say,  $175 for one blade - that's a lot of

WoodSlicer blades ..... - checking  - it is 4.5 blades -  the 10-353 uses a beast of a blade =

142"  and WoodSlicer only allows 3/4" for that long.  I am thinking that the new saw

will be less likely to stress crack the blades, but I agree about how quickly they lose their

edge.  Can a civilian easily resharpen the Laguna?  Or will I have to go to the shop in Chesapeake

that welded blades  for me and repaired the carbide tooth on a 10" Freud blade I broke using 

an Al push stick - never again -Pine scrap from then on.

By the way, I have some split logs of Mulberry, Honey Locust, and Bradford Pear , I wish to mill

into billets,  but my present saw is too slow for my patience to do that now.  I will use Lenox Flex Back for that -

rough face with the significant set - Is this also considered resawing?

My plan-  Wiring on Wed.  ,  order saw on Thru.,  order blades - my present saw is an off length and requires custom

welding so there is a long wait - the 142" looks to be stock - so getting a blade should be quicker. I

sure won't get a backup Laguna like I would with Lenox or WoodSlicer.

I'm still working on the plans for a Maryland Terrapin Smack from the Chappelle/Smithsonian plans. The plans as delivered do not show or give dimensions for the masts or sails. I looked at several sources, including an old "Ships In Scale" article on a Chesapeake Bay Schooner the "Sunny South", with out muck luck, but that article did have some spar relationships and his final dimensions. The smacks were rigged as schooners, not like the sharpies they descended from. The "Sunny South" was about 70 feet long and the smack is about 35 feet, so I dropped the topmast. Anyway after much SWAG, I came up with mast lengths I think are reasonable. Next I looked through my kits and found that the Midwest Sharpie rigging came very close to matching my guesses.

Today I finished drawing out the rigging for her, rescaled so that the distance between perpendiculars matched between both boats.

Here is my progress so far. Next comes rotating the masts for matching rakes, and overlaying the Smack spars, which were on the drawing.

The other thing I'm using the Midwest Sharpie for are the belaying points, for a gaff rigged schooner, though I'll use deadeyes on the smack.

942337579_MidwestSharpieRigging.thumb.JPG.f3afbf2ab89f39cbedea0a7118d61da9.JPG

not exactly done today but over the last week

our conservatory was getting quite dingy and looking unloved, so the decission was taken to make it work for us, electrics up to then for the freezer and lights was through extension cables,

LED strip lights PC connections lots of power sockets lick of paint and carpets, we are happy

it is now ready for usem and will be used as a clean (no spraying or sanding) mancave

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

16 hours ago, Kevin said:

not exactly done today but over the last week

our conservatory was getting quite dingy and looking unloved, so the decission was taken to make it work for us, electrics up to then for the freezer and lights was through extension cables,

LED strip lights PC connections lots of power sockets lick of paint and carpets, we are happy

it is now ready for usem and will be used as a clean (no spraying or sanding) mancave

Protecting your wiring is a always good idea for any living area and looks much more shipshape anyway.  Your remodeled room now looks more like a real room than just a temporary utility porch.  It's nice to have an area set up specifically for your modeling. :D 

I wish that I could have some windows in my shop also for more light and some fresh air, but alas, my shop in the basement has none. :(  I hope you left some room for your four legged assistant to oversee your work.

We have had a 6 step tier of  two man rock for about twenty years. The Admiral began fretting about falling and wanted them replaced with wood. I would like to meet the guy that came up the two man rock designation. He was not part of the original installation crew. Thank God for Kubota tractors. Some of those “ two man rock” took two men, the Admiral and the tractor to move. Done. Now for the handrail.

E794B672-C4B1-490E-AA75-04571BB197A0.jpeg

7 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Protecting your wiring is a always good idea for any living area and looks much more shipshape anyway.  Your remodeled room now looks more like a real room than just a temporary utility porch.  It's nice to have an area set up specifically for your modeling. :D 

I wish that I could have some windows in my shop also for more light and some fresh air, but alas, my shop in the basement has none. :(  I hope you left some room for your four legged assistant to oversee your work.

Always there, overseeing what im doing, the LED battens are much better and brighter than the ones in my main man cave, and im glad we had the wiring covered

IMG_3179.JPG