Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Today as is often the case, my neighbor had his stereo so loud I could hear is in my house from 5 houses away. I went over and said, "Dude can you turn that down a bit?" I got sworn at and threatened with an a$$ kicking. Called the police and they want out and talked with him, then came to my house to get my side of the story.

I haven't heard his music since. Usually 3 times a week. We have noise disturbance and nuisance barking laws. The guy is an x cop.

On 8/24/2018 at 7:38 AM, John Allen said:

Think only good thoughts have peace of mind envelop your body, we want good Karma.

Well, try as we may, bad karma has really zeroed in on us now.  Spent last four days at our place in Door County which was quite cool but sunny.  Saturday night we turned on the heat to warm up a bit. (temp. in 50's overnight)  During the night, we both seemed chilled, (even though the heat was set at 69)  and found that although the heat was running, cold air was all we could get from the vents. 

I went out to check the unit to see what was up.  Finding nothing obvious wrong with it,  we placed a call to our heating company and left a message to call us back on Monday and just used the gas fireplace to warm us till then.

Long story short, our unit had major corrosion inside and a safety switch had disabled the unit and cut off the LP gas supply. (Thank goodness for that anyway.)  Scratch one combination heat/cool heat pump!  Got a quote for new unit at about six grand!  While all of these problems might be considered normal over the course of time, the fact that they happen in such rapid succession is what really makes it had to deal with.  

By the way the dishwasher needed a new drain pump as the old one burned out. (Dispite the three filter systems that stuff had to get thru to get to the pump.)  Oh well. what's another $250 anyway?

Edited by BETAQDAVE
typo

Are you related to a guy named Job? Seems I remember an old story about his that reminds me in some ways of what you're going through. You sure are having an unusual run of very unfortunate circumstances. Lemony Snicket also comes to mind.

Dave

I am beginning to think that if it wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck at all!:( 

At this rate it may even be possible you should take shelter, there is a hurricane heading more or less in your direction according to the news.

Hope things start going better......... SOON!

Can't "Like" that Dave.  We have had a lot of stuff like that happen to us too. The water heater was leaking all over the floor the other day. We are blessed to have a church to help us out with major things like this we can't afford but after this most recent thing it seems something is broken inside me too. Life will not stop throwing these major things at us all. Growing very weary of it. I pray you have some kind of break from all this mess and some kind of financial way out of it all.

Jesse

12 minutes ago, JesseLee said:

Can't "Like" that Dave.  We have had a lot of stuff like that happen to us too. The water heater was leaking all over the floor the other day. We are blessed to have a church to help us out with major things like this we can't afford but after this most recent thing it seems something is broken inside me too. Life will not stop throwing these major things at us all. Growing very weary of it. I pray you have some kind of break from all this mess and some kind of financial way out of it all.

Jesse

That's a beautiful thing about a good church. They help each other in times of need. My dad and mom taught us the two three great pillars of social safety and welfare are the family (1st), and the church (2nd), then neighbors (3rd). It's sad these days when many people have none of those three for help.

Edited by CDW

the admiral and I finally made it to Hampton Beach,  and spent the day at the Hampton Beach Seafood festival September 9th :)   we haven't been there together since she fell back in '95.   it was a very good day..........plenty to see,  even though it was the last day of the festival.   four bands,  crafts, and the food was to die for!  the only thing I missed was to try the calm chowder.......I live on it during the winter months ;)   got to spend it with our youngest son Kevin and his future admiral....made for a great day all the way around!  

Finally finished the entertainment center.  Okay, there are still a few little things to finish, like finding something to hold the LED strip so I can get rid of those clamps at the top.

EntCtr_038.jpg.b0a92092dd9970261568716ba14750cb.jpg

The Blum slides do a great job of holding the albums.  Handles for the drawers and doors TBD.

EntCtr_039.jpg.b173b6f8dd0f32da5bd67a679ff83309.jpg

I was surprised at how nicely the WB finish looked.  I've tried other WB finishes on walnut and it looked blah. 

EntCtr_040.jpg.439a5ff2897750c1490b979194467d54.jpg

Dave, I've never worked with pecky Bolivian walnut before.  In fact until I got a flyer email, I had never even heard of it.  It's pretty brutal on tool edges because of the gum pockets but it finishes so much better than American walnut.  The wood itself is pretty easy to work.  It's the hardened black gum that causes difficulty.  But that's what makes it so interesting. 

I bought a Dewalt 735 planer about a year ago, to replace a Delta portable I had for about 20 years.  This wood brought the 735 to its knees and I had to send it in for service.  Dewalt then lost it and sent me a new one.  I've got that for sale now, since it's in an unopened box.  It's a great planer but can't handle the 13" capacity unless you're taking passes at 1/100".  Tuesday, its replacement arrives.

Had a great day with the Admiral and our great neighbors.

Started out with simple breakfast and then the annual fall indoor multi garage sale at a local stadium.

Once this was done; and I went out empty handed, found nothing we went to see how our neighbor's moms' new house was coming along. With this done we went RV shopping, and found a 36' fifth wheeler that we really liked. Perfect layout to Admiral and my opinion. However, the price tag was set at 82k dollar, so we are waiting for that million dollar winning ticket. We finalized the day with a happy hour treat at Lu Lu Bar & Tap in Tri-Cities overviewing the river.

Edited by Nirvana

Wife works at a hospital. She was in quality control. She made sure the doctors followed all the rules or the hospital didn't get paid. She had found a few classes she thought was interesting on process improvement.  1 week later she was offered a promotion to bring the hospital from a level 2 to a level 1 trauma center.

My home sawmill upgrade is now complete. The necessary power supply upgrade went off without any problems.  A Rikon 10-353 has been delivered, assembled,  and tuned.   The 3 HP motor and 1.5 times faster blade speed should and seems to handle anything I can feed it with no sign of slowing down.  The Rikon is designed to allow blade changes without having to remove the fence.  Per Julie Mo's suggestion, I bought and had mounted the carbide 3/4" ResawKing blade..  Although the initial outlay is significantly more,  if it lasts longer than 4 WoodSlicer blades, the carbide blade will save me money. Probably a lot.  The WoodSlicer does not last all that long so I think that it being more economical over time is a given. The resharpen cost is about the cost of one WoodSlicer blade . The negative factor is the 175% larger kerf.  It is still less than the Lenox FlexBack and the cut surface is at least equal to the WoodSlicer.  The FlexBack is brutal in how it mares the cut face.  The RK is at least as smooth as a table saw if the blade has any set and  the kerf is still less. No way a hollow ground blade could handle the 2" stock I just cut in one pass.  The RK cut 2 inch Hard Maple about as fast as I am willing to push it.  No more 15 minutes for one 24 inch board.  It would have been nice to have been aware of all this when I was younger.

903947881_Rikon10-353.jpg.dfd250f383c098a28009a7bee99f5574.jpg

I have cut a good bit of stock - Black Cherry - the bandsaw blade marks are removed by one generous pass thru my thickness sander -  80 grit  Taking off 0.01 inch leaves a smooth surface It sliced 4 inch wide pieces almost as easily as the 2 inch.  There is no comparison between using this new machine and trying to get 4 inch using my 10 inch table saw with a rip blade - that took 3 or 4 passes,  did not match in the same plane, so had to be thicker and the kerf is a lot wider.  And way more passes to sand it smooth.

723725171_igauge.jpg.8ea1e7daf30a9f91f438e20be74ebb7f.jpg

Bandsaw fences leave a lot to be desired in their native ability to do adjustments in the 0.01 inch range.  I bought an iGauge Digital Multi-Gauge some time ago on sale - just in case I could find a use for it.  It easily fits on the table, behind the fence and is braced by the return blade saw housing as an anchor. Once I figure out the quirks, it should help in setting the fence with fewer test cuts.  I wish it had a wheel to move the rod.  Just had a thought,  cut a stick to fit between the back of the fence and saw housing to be able to find the fence position for my standard thicknesses.   I have found a use for some Sycamore planks.  So far, a separate plank for the minimum thickness to produce a final sanded thickness of 0.17" - 0.15" - 0.13"  ( what I use for 10" - 9" - 8" at 1:60 scale ).

Take home lesson = a carbide blade is ultimately less expensive than a steel edge blade and saves time and hassle with not needing frequent blade changes.  Thank you Julie Mo.  I would not have discovered this on my own - the initial cost shock would blind me to the reality of the situation.  #2  a quality bandsaw is worth the extra cost.  The set once and forget is so much easier than fighting wander and drift and  vertical wedge cuts on an economy model. 

You're welcome, Jaager.  It is a pretty expensive blade but had I bought the RSK first, it would have been less than all those other blades I bought trying to get the kind of cut I get with the RSK. 

FWIW, I was resawing some very hard pecky Bolivian walnut and having a hard time preventing drift.  I tightened the blade to about 2" and ran like a champ.  No drift at all and I could feed faster.

I have no experience with Bolivian Walnut but I did score 16 bf of 2" Granadillo - it is heavy - really nice looking.

Also about 10 bf of Pau Amarello.   Both should go on something special, I am thinking.  I am guessing that the

Walnut is for furniture?  I like the color of Black Walnut, but the pores rule it out for ship models for me.  I did

use it for frames on 1:48 Kate Cory.  Hand shaping the bevels in the Summer using files, My fingers were stained

color of the Walnut.  Long time ago.

I got thru Black Cherry and Hard Maple for 1 week but then the RSK snapped and it was so violent that the

blade bent in two places - No re-weld possible, so I contacted Laguna and after I sent them a photo I got a

zero dollar invoice for a replacement.  Good customer service -that!

I took my unused Emco BS3 1/2" FlexBack and WoodSlicer to a shop in Chesapeake for to weld into 142 inch for my new saw - should get 3 of each - and I bought a BiMetal 3/4" to use while I waited to hear from Laguna.  Was advised that it will last 10xs a steel blade  -  $60,  but a WoodSlicer 3/4" 142"  is $45 .  It is sower than the RSK and a mite, but just a mite rougher on the cut face.  It is just that much thinner, so the net should be a wash.  I like the RSK better, but in any case, it seems foolish - now - to buy any steel blade.  The welds do not cost much, so repurposing the blades I already own is economical.

The thing about the pecky walnut is the gum pockets.  It's like hard candy but probably tougher on edges.  It brought a practically brand new Dewalt planer to its knees.  But the RSK seemed to handle it pretty well.

Finally got some good news on the handicap aid front today.  Our new elevator has finally cleared all the new tariff restrictions from Canada and has arrived at the installers shop and installation is scheduled for installation next week! :dancetl6:

Here's  a photo of it from the owners manual. 

100_4757.thumb.JPG.243700ef91e00b6a356ed37515b1907a.JPG

I will finally be able to get back in my basement model shop without having to worry if the elevator won't be able to get me back upstairs!  (Wasn't really sure how that would have worked.)

Yesterday my desktop computer popped and died. I think the power supply died. For now I'm using my laptop, but it is a fresh install, and all my regular files and favorites are not on it. It will be a couple days until I have time to install them from my backup drive. It will be the middle to end of the month before I can get another supply, which will hopefully fix the desktop. I can see why the guy on Ebay sold me this motherboard. This is the 4th or 5th supply I've installed! Yes, they all should have been more than powerfull enough for my setup.

1 hour ago, thibaultron said:

Yesterday my desktop computer popped and died. I think the power supply died. For now I'm using my laptop, but it is a fresh install, and all my regular files and favorites are not on it. It will be a couple days until I have time to install them from my backup drive. It will be the middle to end of the month before I can get another supply, which will hopefully fix the desktop. I can see why the guy on Ebay sold me this motherboard. This is the 4th or 5th supply I've installed! Yes, they all should have been more than powerfull enough for my setup.

Never had a motherboard that fried my power supply.

You probably know this already, but PS's are designated as silver rated, gold rated, etc. These designations indicate how much of the "rated" wattage you can actually get from the supply. If you are running a good video card and multiple hard drives, you probably want something more than a basic, 350 watt rated PS. Besides that, the low-cost PS's often are made of low quality components and no quality control at the factory. I always buy a high quality PS of significant rated wattage, and never have an issue with them.   

After some conversation with my internet provider (due to speed issues ( I wish I had screen shots from previous speed)).

Previously I have had 7.5 down as a max and 5 up.

But I am now a very happy customer, this as the tweaking from their side resulted with these number...….

Consider this, it's Friday evening 9pm and I am on a wireless internet, not to be confused with satellite internet.

No fiber optics at all.image.thumb.png.50a0ebdf0b8f590b2002dc0eb1b0c5c3.png
My transmitter measures 8" x 6" and has free visibility to the transponder about 600 yards away.

The monthly fee...…… 35 dollars!

This is just one of several test I did and it was the slowest one.

As for power supply to a desktop computer I have never used one below 600W, one of the reason is cooling.

The more cooling features you have along with power draining GPU's it's not recommended go below 550 watts.

I have a 650 W Antec power supply , running all fans in the case...… good enough to keep a can of soda cold on top of it.

Oh yes, don't forget to clean the filters..... my case has three air filters as well

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:52 AM, paulsutcliffe said:

Turned wooden handles for the wife's sewing activities, Jones 1930's screwdriver and some unpicker thingymagig she wanted

20181002_205658.thumb.jpg.48495c24788e529a09db49adb19a8270.jpg

20181002_205715.thumb.jpg.c55d99c2037e39d5b6559f4a2cebb3d3.jpg

Does she do roping as well?  The tools are very similar to those and sewing sails...…..