Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:25 PM, Julie Mo said:

Finally finished the entertainment center.  Okay, there are still a few little things to finish, like finding something to hold the LED strip so I can get rid of those clamps at the top.

EntCtr_038.jpg.b0a92092dd9970261568716ba14750cb.jpg

The Blum slides do a great job of holding the albums.  Handles for the drawers and doors TBD.

EntCtr_039.jpg.b173b6f8dd0f32da5bd67a679ff83309.jpg

I was surprised at how nicely the WB finish looked.  I've tried other WB finishes on walnut and it looked blah. 

EntCtr_040.jpg.439a5ff2897750c1490b979194467d54.jpg

What turntable is that I see to the left? Definitely not a cheap one....

I've built a working model of a lightning machine.

The Wimshurst machine is a static electricity generator. You may have seen it or variations of it in any sort of Frankenstein type movie.

oxFU9Hfl.png

This particular model generates arc lightning at a voltage of up to 70000 volts, but is entirely harmless should you get hit by it. 

The whole thing is mostly built up out of paper card, with some added aluminium foil, wooden rods and balls as well as two acrylic glass disks for the lamellar disks. The Leiden jars are built out of a rolled up sheet of clear PVC and a bit of alumium foil. 

See the machine in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpzayPFNFDM

Edited by greyhawk

Mr Benz, our 9th grade science teacher, introduced us to the Wimshurst machine in junior high school. We had a lot of fun and learned so much in his class that year. He was a great young teacher. 

Built a basic Moxon vise over the weekend. Planning on doing some scratch building one day, so will have to resaw by hand 😦. Don't have space or access to a band saw.

Used some old pine planks and some threaded rod that was lying around, could not have been more than 5$ in total. 

220777953_20181007_085539(1280x960).thumb.jpg.8141ba78dd3ee8d9557d47e4f3e6185f.jpg922211172_20181007_085626(960x1280).thumb.jpg.0073b9c2f829dc3643e9b9c42f0cb91f.jpg

Edited by Jolley Roger
updated photos

A few months ago, my brother asked me why I didn't start working full time as a handyman. Today I have an answer to that question. I spent 6 hours working in the heat (high 80s) putting up framing for walls inside a building. I started approaching heat exhaustion, and have just started to feel up to do even the typing for this message! I'm only 63, but, at least for me, that option is out.

22 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

A few months ago, my brother asked me why I didn't start working full time as a handyman. Today I have an answer to that question. I spent 6 hours working in the heat (high 80s) putting up framing for walls inside a building. I started approaching heat exhaustion, and have just started to feel up to do even the typing for this message! I'm only 63, but, at least for me, that option is out.

Maybe you need to be more careful about the particular handyman jobs you agree to take on. Some jobs are more physically demanding than others. No matter our age, we must stay hydrated and reasonably cool when working like that. Those towels you "wet, wring out, then pop", really do work to cool you off. The pro's who work outdoors all day use those things and swear by them. Got to keep your head covered, drink plenty of water, keep yourself cool. 

9 hours ago, CDW said:

Maybe you need to be more careful about the particular handyman jobs you agree to take on. Some jobs are more physically demanding than others. No matter our age, we must stay hydrated and reasonably cool when working like that. Those towels you "wet, wring out, then pop", really do work to cool you off. The pro's who work outdoors all day use those things and swear by them. Got to keep your head covered, drink plenty of water, keep yourself cool. 

I have two of those towels, it's a great and cheap insurance. I really like using them when it's beaming hot. But still you to drink fluid.

Aaah, I miss my Dual 505 and 505-3 players, still located in Sweden.

Ortofon pickup?

Mine had OM-40 on the 505 and Linn K9 on 505-3. Both of the turntables got the same pickup replacement two years ago as my father has them and "turning them". Vivaldi is wonderful to listen to.

Edited by Nirvana

I had that turntable sitting on a shelf for years.  It didn't work so well.  At one point I took the dust cover and used it for a sump for a salt water fish tank.  There are still calcium deposits on it.  A few years ago I got the bug to bring it back to life.  It needed everything.  I found a turntable forum that had a turntable brain trust that rivals the ship building brain trust here.  1229_orig.jpg.a6b2a7cb8c6894d200ec971363a97d93.jpg

1229_plinth_031.jpg.d9d0650dc484ce770fe8db4d7ed3d3dd.jpg

1229_plinth_19.jpg.19e6d629fbeb1ab1fdea960e8a38bb85.jpg

Went to the Artistry in Wood show put on by the Dayton Carvers.  It was only about 30 minutes from my house.  Lots of really interesting things there. Quite a bit of it was the “folk art“ which I don’t really care for very much however there were some very nice chip carvers and some very impressive bird carvers. Unfortunately there was no ship figurehead or stern carvers there 😜. Lots of tools and demonstrations. It was nice. It was also nice to see a bunch of young kids running around being interested in doing this. Even if the stuff they are looking at is not exactly applicable to what we do here. 

While I was at the show on Sunday one thing did catch my eye was a guy using a scroll saw.  Basically was doing a demo and I suppose advertising the saw.  I was wondering if any of our Euro members have any experience or knowledge of the Pegas brand.  Certainly expensive (could buy most of the Proxxon saws for same amount) but I could not believe the precision and the 'lack' of sound.  He was against one of the walls of the convention center and I could barely hear this thing.  After using my 40-50ish year old craftsman with foam ear plugs and cans it was pretty impressive.  Not sure that it is not just a modern saw as I don't know what a modern proxxon/dewalt/jet etc sounds like.

Michael passed over us on its way out to sea.  As storms go, it was not that violent here. But it did

split a major branch or two from Bradford Pears on our main drag off US 60.  With the purchase of

a $40  Portland electric chainsaw from Harbor Freight, I have rescued about 30 BF.   I sealed the cut ends with some left over 

latex enamel paint.  I will give the logs about 2 months to dry some - then band saw them into 2" thick billets.
So by the Fall of 2020, I should have wood that I can use. 

I bet it looked strange to those neighbors who saw me dragging a 5 foot log down the street behind my 350Z.

Too heavy for me to lift and no room in the Z for anything that big anyway.  Once home and at a 110V source, I

cross cut into my standard 2 foot long sections. The low cost corded electric saw was able to

rip two 2 foot logs in half lengthwise.  Since the Pear was no cost I figure that the saw will have made back what it

cost about 10 times over - provided the wood seasons like Pear has for me in the past.

Bought an used Antec 850 watt power supply today on Ebay for my desktop. It is a generation older than the present line, but should do nicely. Next month I'll buy a new model, and transfer this one to my shop computer.

It will be nice to get off this laptop. Its a nice laptop, but all my storage is on the desktop (5.5TB). the laptop only has 600GB. While I had recently backed up my files, the backups were a month before the desktop died, so I have been treading water on some projects.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:41 AM, BETAQDAVE said:

Finally got some good news on the handicap aid front today.  Our new elevator has finally cleared all the new tariff restrictions from Canada and has arrived at the installers shop and installation is scheduled for installation next week! :dancetl6:

Opps!  I may have spoken a bit too soon.  When no one showed up to our job site today, I called the boss to find out what was up.  He said that the unit was shipped to the them on two separate skids along with a slightly larger version of it for a different job.   The old elevator has been removed and the opening has been resized.  When they were ready for the second skid to be sent, guess what?  Yep, you guessed it, they found out that they sent us the wrong one.  Thanks to that miscue my install has been rescheduled for next week. :default_wallbash:

Would whoever is in charge of bad Karma please stand up now and be recognized so you can accept my fist in your face! :angry:  Oh wait, my fist would hardly be sufficient so please say hi to my friend IRON MIKE TYSON instead!

Today (no, well, all right, a couple of days ago) I made this bargello-style patchwork cushion cover:

image08ar.jpg.84050eff272f07a3d64291d9bbe400e3.jpg

I actually opened a new thread in the "non-ship categorised builds" section, to show pics of the 'build' process.  However, it didn't take the Admiral long to point out that it's 'only a bloomin' cushion, Brian', so I came to my senses and deleted it. 

1 hour ago, probablynot said:

Today (no, well, all right, a couple of days ago) I made this bargello-style patchwork cushion cover:

image08ar.jpg.84050eff272f07a3d64291d9bbe400e3.jpg

I actually opened a new thread in the "non-ship categorised builds" section, to show pics of the 'build' process.  However, it didn't take the Admiral long to point out that it's 'only a bloomin' cushion, Brian', so I came to my senses and deleted it. 

Looks pretty darn good for just a bloomin' cushion, Brian. I have to counter say ya Admiral. It's not as easy as it seems