Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

This This actually started Thursday. I had a 4 yd dumpster delivered, so we could empty out our house of things we don't want to take with us when we move. We are downsizing

There are several Facebook site dedicated to our subdivision. On one of them I ask for some help Send AA39 year old young man offered help for $10 an hour. We started with the garage. Some of the stuff he saw he want to Take home then I didn't care.

One of my neighbors is new to the area, an 18 year old wrestler at our state wide famous wrestling school don't ask me the name. The oak Dale something's . He offered to help to for the same $10 an hour.

So Saturday we started in again and finished with the garage. The wife had emptied out of a walk in closet of clothes we haven't worn since the eighties or nineties. There were about 6, 40 gallon bags full of clothes setting on top of the good stuff from the garage In the dumpster .

Around 7:00 p.m. my neighbors brothers were dumpster diving. I showed them away because the dogs were barking and I didn't think it safe. They actually asked if they could come back later.

Next, between 2 and 3:00 a.m. our home alarm went off 3 times. 2 of the 3 times we didn't hear it. The third time we did.Grab the 45 turn on the laser Head downstairs, clear, off to the garage clear. Garage door wide open. It relies on motion sensor'.

Yesterday Yesterday a got a different phone. We have a Bluetooth base that broadcast to several satellite phones. I had not paired the so to the base yet.  The security company called the 1st 2 times  And we did not hear it. The police called twice and we did not hear it.

The police never knocked or rang the doorbell.They assumed we were not home so they did not respond to the 3rd call. When we 1st realized the alarm was going off, I shut it off what the remote so I could find somebody in the act of being violent towards me if you know what I mean.

Therefor, the 3rd time the alarm company did not call, because I shut the alarm off  1st . Apparently the 1st 2 times the policeCame up with lights going, and Shone flashlights all over.

I forgot to say something. I forgot to lock the gate I'm side of the house after throwing all the junk out. I never use that Gate. I have been meaning to replace the lock on the garage door, it doesn't budge.

Nothing was stolen. I'm thinking you were in there 3 times, and you couldn't figure out you had at least 15 minutes from the time you open up the door to the time the cops came? What the heck?

When I When I got up this morning, the dumpster was empty of bags. The good bunch and chafing pans were left there. Bunch and, Bunsen. Voice recognition. I could a type that faster

On 10/17/2018 at 2:32 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

Opps!  I may have spoken a bit too soon.

Oh so true!  After starting the elevator replacement project on the 11th, the guys have been on site a total of five days. (originally was to be a total of six days)  So far I have a hole in the floor with some planks covering it and the support tower is bolted in place. 

100_4906.thumb.JPG.a22f03afd44e61a90504dff5d279d676.JPG

100_4909.thumb.JPG.74c17a7c9bd78fc0d29b6a390afc6c1f.JPG

The lift mechanism is all fitted in place.

100_4908.thumb.JPG.c42e8bcff6b27db70bbaa76146c530f1.JPG

However the hole in the floor needs more work and the cab still needs to be assembled and mounted.  At this point it remains in pieces downstairs.

100_4903.thumb.JPG.ef9908a8c28eb3c7c958e3f047e4a282.JPG

100_4902.thumb.JPG.ded5ec90ae5bf4c5a9bcfd25a7b673e7.JPG

So who knows how much longer I have to wait to get downstairs to my modeling shop!  Any wagers?

100_4907.JPG

A couple of days ago, our washer died. It is one of the new style front loaders with a computer control. I was washing a rug. I came back a while later, and the display was blank, and the power button did nothing. Today I opened it up and found that the computer board mount had broken and the board was laying on the drum. It must have a position switch, that cuts it out if the washer is not flat. Held the board back in position and the washer came on. The mount had two plastic buttons that fit in slots in the washer side. These have broken off. Tomorrow I'll buy some sheet metal screws, or small machine screws with locknuts, and remount the mount. I'd complain, but the washer is about a decade old, and we got it free.

Dave

Has that been a total of five days or a total of five consecutive days? Let me guess, they are the only people in XXX miles who are certified to do this kind of work! Does the beginning of the year sound about right?

You have my sympathy, there would be steam coming out my ears by now especially at the prices this is running!

Edited by lmagna

30 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

A couple of days ago, our washer died

I've been thinking of trying to fix my own freezer but I don't get up and down so well anymore. It goes from -6 to 13 a couple times a day. Had a guy out, he pulled out the circuit board and found a burned spot. He soldered it but that didn't help.

He asked me to keep track all weekend to see if there's a pattern. ??? I doubt that's a worth while endeavor. I told him to order a new thermostat sensor and board. He said I'd end up putting $400 into a 16 year old unit. I'm thinking, $00 vs $2500 to replace like a similar unit.

Look up the board on Ebay. The factory wants $250 to $350 for a replacement computer (they don't sell the $5 mounting board alone). On Ebay a good used one runs from about $40 on up to the new price. It was the same with the washer pump. I paid $30 for a new one from ebay, the store wanted more than $100.

There was a reason the board burned, though, you may have a short in the system, somewhere.

Got the washer going! It does not have a position sensor. Apparently it has been laying on the drum for a while, and one of the wires which was going to another section wore through on an internal edge. I soldered the wire back together and it runs fine. I replaced the two broken plastic studs with a couple #10 machine screws, with nylon lock nuts. I left them loose enough that I can slide the holder into place. I have to remove the computer board and snap it back into place after the holder is on.

On 11/1/2018 at 8:00 PM, lmagna said:

as that been a total of five days or a total of five consecutive days?

Lets see now, it was supposed to be Oct. 10,11,12,17,18 and 19.  The first day any work was actually done was the 11th. The second day wasn't until the 15th, then no more work until the 19th.  The last two days they had someone working were the 26th and the 29th.  The last word from the contractor was that the work will be finished on the 6th, 7th, and 8th.  Needless to say I'm not going to hold my breath on that. B)

On 11/1/2018 at 8:00 PM, lmagna said:

Let me guess, they are the only people in XXX miles who are certified to do this kind of work!

Unfortunately qualified contractors for elevator work are quite limited, so the choices available are slim.  This is especially true if you are interested in one particular elevator model.

4 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

so the choices available are slim

I suspected as much. If you are the only game in town you can take your time. You have a captive audience so to speak. Possibly next time, (Heaven forbid) write in on the pre-contract "Time is of the essence." that gives you a lot of leverage if needed. 

On 11/5/2018 at 6:05 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

Needless to say I'm not going to hold my breath on that. B)

Wiser words have never been spoken!  The crew showed up on Tuesday the 6th, but as per usual, no one showed up today.  Claimed a wire harness board for the elevator circuit board was discovered to be either defective or damaged. (Not sure which.) The boss said a replacement was ordered from the manufacturer and would take five working days to get here so they would have to wait for it to continue. 

Meanwhile, alot of work not involving the electrical problem remains to be done.  The contractor on site who discovered the problem told me after finishing work on Tuesday that they could simply run the lines into the circuit board and leave the access panel loose for installing the replacement later.  This company seems to have a basic boss-worker communication problem here!

I kind of lost my cool today talking to the boss saying that while I am well known to have A LOT of patience, my patience is wearing VERY thin right now.  I said that for a job expected to take a total of six days, we are fast approaching a month.  Your company seems to come up with a new multi-day delay every time they come here.   

I haven't said anything to him yet, but I am thinking of deducting $200 or $300 from their final bill for every day lost from here on out to see if my job gets moved up on their priority list.  I am getting the impression that they are working several jobs at the same time. Unfortunately this threat may only make things worse as I will need them to service the unit later. :default_wallbash:

5 minutes ago, BETAQDAVE said:

they are working several jobs at the same time.

My feelings exactly! You Might contact the BBB and get a rundown on them or possibly file a few comments about them, May or may not do any good as they are a monopoly for your area, but it might make you feel better.

I have a I had a contractor that was supposed to do a  5 hour job that took 3 days. Meantime I have to take my dogs out on leashes.

The 3rd morning I called and told him he had 3 hours to finish the job.. I told him I would deduct $50 for every hour he was late. It worked like a champ. Then I want on Facebook and gave him one star. Made it very clear why. Then a created a new account for him on Yelp.

Alas, just another day that I get to be kept from my shop!  The owner of the company called Thursday morning to tell me that he sympathized with my situation and has decided to offer me some free service to ease the pain.  He didn't say however, how much. :unsure: 

Someday I will get back in the shop, just have no real idea when that will happen.:angry: 

Are there required service intervals and certifications on private homeowner elevators as are required on commercial elevators?

Before I retired as operations manager, elevators in various buildings/properties we owned were a major headache. And as you have pointed out, very expensive. 

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Are there required service intervals and certifications on private homeowner elevators

Yes, several simple things have to be checked out by the owner every two months, and several more involved things by service techs every six months.

Been a busy few days. A few months ago, my main (House) computer ate another power supply. The latest of several. So I stole the PS from my shop computer. That lasted until a couple months ago, then that supply died. So I down graded to a laptop, until I could buy another supply. That one died after a few seconds! The Admiral finally convinced me the motherboard was DOA, and to stop throwing good PS at it. A major problem with the laptop, is that I had not backed up my main computer in over a month, and was therefore out that amount of CAD time on my hobby projects.

Fast forward to this week. I finally saved up enough for another computer "Rolling Chassis" (complete computer sans hard drive), and bought a new supply for the shop computer. The computer arrived, and it was DOA! no video on bootup, and it never finish boot to the BIOS screen (assumming I could have seen it get there) as the DVD drive would not stay open (as it should if the BIOS screen had come up). Tried everything I could think of (and I have a lot of computer experience). When the computer arrived the cables to the USB, etc. for the front panel were disconnected, so when I shipped it back I left them that way. Now the seller is insinuating that I am trying to pull a fast one, and either broke it, or subsituted bad parts.

Any way I installed the PS in the shop computer, and slowly put my main data drives in it, using its original Win 7 OS. Got that working and tried the Win 10 512GB SSD that was the system drive for the old home computer. No Go! It got scrambled when the computer went DOA. I was able to recover many of the data files off it, at least. So I reloaded Win 10 yesterday, and now I'm reloading the software. Bad part is, I have to rebuy some of the licenses, as some of them were "Load To One Computer Only", and I did not record the keys. Also some of the programs I don't recall the names of (third party YouTube download, etc.) so I have to go find, or refind, replacement software. From now on I'm going to make regular image backups of the system drive as well as more frequent data backups.

The shop computer is a little slower than the old one, and has much less capable video, and fewer USB ports, but it will do for now.

Ron

I'm sure you probably know this, but a 4 slot USB hub is very cheap, like maybe $10 or less. For a few dollars more, you can get one that has more slots/connections and it's own power supply. 

I feel for you, having to reload all that software, not to mention the lost data. Been there and done that and it ain't fun.

PS: there are vendors on Ebay who sell salvaged hardware/software and that enables you to acquire the software you need for very small cost. You get a license number and all you have to do is download the file from their site, then install it. I have done this many times when I lost a computer due to power surge, lightning, HD or MB failure, etc.

Edited by CDW

Yes I've done the Ebay software route before, and will again this time. The big problem I have found with that, is buying an actual real program, not a hacked version. But careful reading will spot the fakes most times. I have a faceplate in the shop with two additional USB ports, that I have to go get. That will restore most of what I want. I also need to find the sound card. The motherboard is a server type with no sound. The old computer also had an HDMI port that I could run my 39" regular TV from.

5 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

Yes I've done the Ebay software route before, and will again this time. The big problem I have found with that, is buying an actual real program, not a hacked version. But careful reading will spot the fakes most times. 

The best way to narrow down your choice of vendors is to check their feedback. Stay away from sellers with low feedback totals and/or negative feedback.

Good sellers are not going to try to beat you out of $5 just to ruin their feedback score. It's not worth it.

I always buy from sellers with good feedback and never had a problem. Never once bought a hacked software. There's always a first time though, I suppose.

Eating lunch at the kitchen table and looking outside at the bird feeder that is loaded with birds. All of a sudden, they all fly away and not coming back. 

The big bird glides down and sits on top of the feeder. It is a a juvenile Cooper's hawk. This bird was born here this spring next door in a tree and must love it here. All that fresh meat. 788767782_CoopershawkAccipitercooperii2.thumb.jpg.4cf2bad81e6a4f06948ccfda4204b695.jpg

1530253811_CoopershawkAccipitercooperii1.thumb.jpg.4118d54dc1f7457c59f517793a167820.jpg

505226136_CoopershawkAccipitercooperii1.thumb.jpg.43ac83e04e70b43b4e896283b00eea7e.jpg

I hope that when it becomes an adult it picks off the annoying loud  chickens from the neighbor behind me (I doubt that will ever happen). 

Need a  large pteranodon or something smaller like a pterodactyl. These will pick off the chickens one by one and then if I am really lucky, they will pick off the neighbor as well. I do need a very big and strong bird as the neighbor is a big boy. 

Can you tell.......... , I don't like my neighbor? 

Marcus