Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

I was always meticulous with my albums, cleaning them before and after playing and rotating the sleeve in the album cover so the vinyl can't roll out.  The only problems came during parties.  Some party goers heard me screech when they broke my rules.

When my Dual 1229 turntable didn't turn anymore I considered letting go but I just couldn't.  A few years ago I ran across a website forum devoted to vinyl and preserving the past.  I learned how to repair the turntable and even made a new base for it.

1229_plinth_18.jpg

Now I'm making an entertainment center that will have album drawers, for the now boxed albums, and a special place reserved for that turntable. 

After that picture was taken, I made a DUAL logo out of Gaboon ebony and MOP.  Fancy schmancy B)

mop-inlay_01.jpg

I think i remember those albums Ron. Sounds of the Humpback whale or something like that if I remember correctly.

I think my family would have preferred those albums over some of the stuff I listened to. Of course I had all of the normal Rock and Roll stuff that everyone else played but I had some special records that I loved as well. Remember the bagpipes in "Scotch On The Rocks"? Or even better I had, (Still have somewhere) a FANTASTIC album called "Sounds Of Sebring 1962" that was pretty much nothing but the sounds of the cars going by at a a hundred and fifty miles and hour and coming in and out of the pits, with the announcer filling in some details. Of course there was only one way to play a record like that, rattle the windows volume!:D

I used to turn my parents nuts with Reggae ... they thought it to be a single album, whilst I had enough to fill a couple of days with "different" music ...

7 hours ago, Canute said:

A lot of albums were played once or twice and stored. I put all of mine on reel to reel tapes. Suspect my old vinyl is warped. ^_^

Mine aren't warped, but some are, lets say noisy ... a pitty, got some 800+ gathering dust ...

5 hours ago, Julie Mo said:

I was always meticulous with my albums, cleaning them before and after playing and rotating the sleeve in the album cover so the vinyl can't roll out.  The only problems came during parties.  Some party goers heard me screech when they broke my rules.

When my Dual 1229 turntable didn't turn anymore I considered letting go but I just couldn't.  A few years ago I ran across a website forum devoted to vinyl and preserving the past.  I learned how to repair the turntable and even made a new base for it.

Now I'm making an entertainment center that will have album drawers, for the now boxed albums, and a special place reserved for that turntable.

Either you will have a selection of albums at hand, or you are going to need a lot of time making drawers :wacko:

Edited by cog

I had a Dual 505 and 505-3 back in Sweden, both has been refurbished and are in by my parents.

When I moved to the states I left my Denon/Dual equipment behind.

Time to find a turntable again. 

Edited by Nirvana

I had a couple of those race car sounds albums also.   Drove the parents nuts.  Got to the point where I could go to the drag strip and identify the car by the sound.  Then the hearing started to go.....

Today my oldest sister called me to tell me she just found out my older sister died. 2 weeks ago.

Her husband is one of those flag damning Michigan Militia clowns.

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind

2 hours ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Today my oldest sister called me to tell me she just found out my older sister died. 2 weeks ago.

Her husband is one of those flag damning Michigan Militia clowns.

Sorry to hear that, Brian.  Family can be unnecessarily complicated.  I know, from experience.  Hope you're okay.

Yesterday I turned our lanai (that's Florida talk for a covered patio) into an extension of the workshop.  Stacked all the furniture off to one side, covered it, lowered the storm shutter and laid foam board against it.  Then opened the patio doors leading to the lanai to cool it. 

Next I went to HD and picked up (4) sheets of 1/4" ply and (3) sheets of 1/2" ply, stacked them on the roof of the Jeep and unloaded them (solo) into the new workshop. 

Today my SO is home so we're going back to pick up (4) sheets of 3/4" ply.  (I'm smart enough not to try to handle that alone.)  And that will complete the sheet goods part for the upcoming project. 

This morning I got up early and got the floor sill plates installed in the unfinished section of the shop. At 10 I had to come in as it was getting too hot in there. I could have gotten more done, but I had to move a lot of stuff under the shelves in that area to open up enough space to crawl around under them.

I'm double studding and double insulating  the walls to save on cooling/heating costs. I had a moment of brilliance, and said to myself "Self, why are you planning to use 2X4s for the inner non load bearing wall? You could use  2X3s spaced 1" out, and save $1.10 per stud." So 2X3s are what I'm using. The insulation will be 2 layers of R-13 (3.5" thick), giving me R26 walls. The roof will get the same 2 layers of insulation. The rafters are 2X6s (1.5X5.5 actual), that I have added 1.5" inches to. I ripped 2X4s in half to get the 2x2 (1.5" actual) that I've screwed to the rafters.

Tuesday I should be able to get more done, and I have some repair work Sunday, for some extra 2X3 money.

Today we negotiated the price of a replacement minivan, a 2019 Odyssey. I hate buying vehicles (both the cost, depreciation and the haggling). We walked out at one point, and as we were getting in the car to leave the salesperson came out to accept our final counteroffer. I should have just kept going but wanted to get the deed done. I took my 8 and 11 year old so they could get a understanding of what negotiation is all about. What was bizarre was that the dealer didn’t even try to sell us an extended warranty or rustproofing as that’s where they make so much more margin. 

54 minutes ago, Haliburton said:

Today we negotiated the price of a replacement minivan, a 2019 Odyssey. I hate buying vehicles (both the cost, depreciation and the haggling). We walked out at one point, and as we were getting in the car to leave the salesperson came out to accept our final counteroffer. I should have just kept going but wanted to get the deed done. I took my 8 and 11 year old so they could get a understanding of what negotiation is all about. What was bizarre was that the dealer didn’t even try to sell us an extended warranty or rustproofing as that’s where they make so much more margin. 

He probably knew he wouldn't sell it to you anyway ... why bother to be disappointed ...

I put my life in the hands of my 15yo and his learners permit.  He drove around a parking lot a bunch practicing starting stopping turning parking etc.  We finished off by having him drive home about 3 miles or so..... Definitely a few more grey hairs...

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Ah yes, Michael, remember those days well (times 3 kids) good news is, you will survive. :D

I learned to drive on a farm tractor when I was about 8 years old. My dad had me driving his car by piling books on the seat to raise me up high enough to see over the dash board. I was more afraid of me driving his car than he was of my driving. Go figure.

At about 11 or 12, I would drive a car in our pasture like Parnelli Jones.

When I was 14, my brother and I each built ourselves a go-cart, basically 3/4 inch plywood on a frame of 2 x 4's , 4 wheels, seat, 3 hp lawn mower engine, steered with feet.  Could only drive it on sidewalk (1950s) not in street, but we drove in streets of our neighborhood anyway. Town cop pulled me over once, told me he clocked me at 35 mph (no radar back then) then told me to get it up on the sidewalk. No tickets, no issues  :D   Cart did just fit width-wise on sidewalk, but like all sidewalks, even today,  pretty rough ride what with all the heaved up sections, streets were more fun. Cops were pretty laid back about it, just chased us out of the  street to the sidewalk or parking lot. Never ticketed us.

Today !?!?!?   Well, let's see ? Hmmmmmm ? :o

8 hours ago, MEDDO said:

Definitely a few more grey hairs...

After a few more kids, (I'm coming up on #4 this summer with another one in about five years.) you go right past gray hairs and either loose them outright or go directly to white!

There is life after teen hood so you can look forward to that.

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

After a few more kids, (I'm coming up on #4 this summer with another one in about five years.) you go right past gray hairs and either loose them outright or go directly to white!

There is life after teen hood so you can look forward to that.

Well, we have only one little guy (unfortunately cant have more) but he's starting to be a lot of work (2 years old).

What i did today has everything to do with him:

placed additional locks out of his reach on bathroom and kitchen doors so they can be locked from both sides with a thumb-lock (baby-safe-gates are not working anymore as he learned how to climb over)

replaced monitor-stand on my desk with a wall-holder

dining-room table has been moved to the wall, chairs pushed between wall and table so he cant move them for climbing if we look the other way

Counting down 4 weeks from now when he finally goes to Day-Care :D

16 hours ago, MEDDO said:

Definitely a few more grey hairs...

Micheal,

Brings back memories.  The Police knocked on the door and advised my father was letting my son drive his car. He was 12 at the time.  I asked my father what are you thinking of his reply there's no traffic its off season and the Island has only one stop sign. I told him no more he's putting the Police on the spot and we have to work together.

Next day Police visiting again, please tell your father no more, Dad you have to stop his reply I was feeling feint and afraid I'd pass out. Well I told Police all friends place him under arrest and handcuff him and put him in the Island lockup I knew he would do it again.

Two days later he ended up in the lockup, picked up my son and Dear Ole Dad. He said man I thought they would let me slide you know there serious. Scared son, told him never ask Grand dad to drive again. He never knew it was a set-up and it cured the problem. Micheal thanks for the memory got my smile for the day:)

7 hours ago, Jasseji said:

unfortunately cant have more

Don't be so certain. The only way you might be reasonably certain that you don't have more kids is to lock all the doors, turn out the lights, don't answer the phone, move and don't leave a forwarding address, and probably change your name. Even then you could possibly end up with another kid but the chances are at least reduced somewhat.

Also remember that making a house kid proof is kind of like making a toy fool proof. Fools are ingenious, and so are kids!:o:D