Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the plans for the models I have, scanned to PDF files. For the most part, these came out  well. The plans for the Charles W Morgan  were the best probably due to the quality of the paper in the original (the copy centre even commented on it). The plans for the Lyde, were no as clear as the original paper was faded, cream rather than white.

One problem was that having been folded up for more years than I know (30 or so would be a guess ), the creases are very obvious on the images so I spent a few hours this afternoon going through them with a graphics program (Gimp) cleaning them up. I also took the opportunity to remove the Spanish labelling from the Charles W Morgan plans.  The Lyde plans will take a lot more clean up as I'd like to replace the Italian labelling with English.  I'll get the CWM plans printed on 160gsm paper from these new images and use them as working plans. I might even get them done on Tyvek as it's only a couple of dollars more than 160gsm.

I'm hoping that by the time I finish, my canine visitor will have gone home and I can actually make a start on the build!

12 hours ago, geoffs said:

These cyber-blackmail attempts are nearly as funny as the phone call claiming to be from Microsoft Support about a problem with your computer.

As if Microsoft would do anything for free 🙂

First of all; just like Geoff says,MS would never call you regarding a computer or software problem. You are the one who needs to call. But yes, playing with the scammers are fun, or solicitors in general. 

We would get rid of our land line if it wasn't needed for our fire and burglar alarm system  - all we seem to get are solicitation calls - thank God we will have about a 60 day respite from political calls before the 2020 cycle starts again.

We have a USCG mandated air horn that is for small boats sitting by the phone.  When we get the heavy accent telling us we have a computer problem we reach for the air horn, put it up to the phone and let off a blast.  The person on the other end has a head set on, not a phone held up to their ear, so they get a good dose before ripping the headset off.  We then hang up - I would stay on

the line if they could hear me laughing but as they probably can't hear anything for several minutes I reluctantly hang up.

Kurt

Kurt, I have that same boat horn.  Had one of them call me from MS about security issues on my computer. I immediately called him a fraud and hung up. Less than a minute later, he called back, cursed me out no end and told me to LISTEN !  So I told him I was listening, while I got up and got the horn, put it right up to the mic and pushed the button.  Haven't heard from him in a while.

The other one is the "lady" from Medicare Pain Management who called me to say they had reports that I was having severe pain in my feet, ankles, legs, knees, hips. I told her "gee, don't know how that could be possible since everything below the waist was blown off by a land mine in Vietnam 50 years ago" <my wife and son nearly fell off their chairs laughing> Woman on phone didn't miss a beat, said "oh, I am sorry for your loss, but we hear you have a lot of pain in your shoulder" , told her that my shoulder got taken out by an RPG 20 years ago....... then I hung up on her.  <for the record I have all my parts>

Geoff,

Why you doing that - reprinting the plans?  If you intend to frame them for wall art, all well and good.

For model use, while PDF works,  I had a few pages of Delacroix' Commerce de Marseille scanned to get into my computer, by a commercial outfit.  What I got on my stick was a single PDF file, that was so large, that Painter said: "You gotta be kidding."  I had to pay for a month of PS to open the thing and break it up into one file for each sheet.  Turns out the PDF scan was 60% enlarged.  Mind you, Marseille is a 118 gun ship and the plans are 1:48 - some 4 foot or more long. It was like the tech doing the scanning thought that I wanted a single file that filled the 32G stick rather than one that was identical to the original.  They were ignoring the copyright by doing it, so I was not being fussy.  So you may have to do scaling to get to identity with the original on a print out.

The thing is, having and knowing GIMP, you are golden.  I would save the file in whatever is GIMP native format.  After you adjust the file scale back to identity on print out, start with the Gimp version for what ever part you are building..   For a model, I can't think of anything that requires what is on the whole plan page.  usually just small areas.  Isolate what you are working on as a layer in GIMP and it should fit 8.5 x 11 for a print out.  Easier than dealing with a 3 foot plan.

Spent the past 2 days trying to sort out my computer after a nasty Windows update. Searched online to see if anyone else had the problems, there are scores and scores of others whose computers crashed in the same fashion after their latest Windows update. Beware, you could be next.

I could not get the problem repaired and had to do an automated reset instead. Now I have to go back and download/install all my applications and who knows what else. I am beginning to think there is some method behind the Microsoft madness. I wonder if they are getting ready to push out a new operating system and this is their way of convincing us we need it?😮

Nope.  The story is that they fired/laid off/transferred there entire QA team and so the customers/users are now the testers.  This last update was particularly horrific by the sheer number of fixes involved. And... they're falling behind so the next "update" will have all the fixed old updates from the pulled updates as well as new updates.

Win10 is still a crap shoot as they add and remove features and here to, the users are the testers.  So read into that what you will.

I hope I got that right and it's clear.   Been a bit of a hassle trying to keep up with all the developments, errors, etc. out of Redmond lately.  I've finally had enough (still one Win 7) so I have a Linux build on the shop floor waiting for one piece of software to be finalized by the developing company.  Once it's released... Winders in gone....

35 minutes ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

Wow, Jack, XP? Still? 

I have an HP flat bed scanner that I spent months searching for; it will scan 24 -35 mm mounted 2 x 2 color slides and/or 36 - 35 mm color or B/W negatives in one pass and auto store them as individual files ( also handles 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 , 4 x 5 slides/negatives) in addition to standard prints. The negatives are auto converted to a positive image.  The software came with the scanner. MS decreed it to be obsolete and won't port it to Win 7 or 10.   When MS programmers learn what "upward compatible"  and "zero defects" means I might consider joining the stampede. <been there, done that for 40 years>

Edited by Jack12477

My 2 Canon point and shoot cameras plug directly into the USB post and the Canon software auto uploads any new photos directly from the cameras SD card to the Laptop. MS decreed that is obsolete also. My Pentax K50 DSLR uses Picasa to do the file transfer. But Picasa is not as user friendly as the Canon software.

6 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

friendly as the Canon software.

Amen. I use paint shop pro 7. From circa 1990. I can do SO much with that. I bought a new version several years ago. Out of my league. Or should I say intellect. Too freaking much crap!

8 hours ago, Jaager said:

Geoff,

Why you doing that - reprinting the plans?  If you intend to frame them for wall art, all well and good.

I decided that I wanted to have a backup copy of the plans 'just in case'. Some of the originals also had silverfish damage.

Originally, I was just going to get the scans printed as is but thought I may as well clean them up a bit and one thing lead to another...

I will print out bits as I need them, I have access to an A3 printer at the local library where I volunteer.

After a little bit of work, the instructions are now much nicer to read after  some reformatting

What can I say, I have too much free time. 😀

18 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I am so glad I didn't join the stampede and stayed with XP ! Support is no worse than what the Win10 folks are getting. :D

Mine is Win7 and that was hard enough when switching from XP.  My computer wiz kid next door advised me not to go to Win10 when it first came out as it was not ready for release yet.  He said it still had way too many bugs still in it it, for too little gain.  No need for them to work to find them when they could let the consumer find them for them!:angry:

3 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Support is no worse than what the Win10 folks are getting. :D

Speaking of poor support, I bought my first computer on-line from DELL several computers ago and made the mistake of getting their optional three year extended computer support.  What a waste that was! 

I had a problem the first month I had it and called their support line.  I was directed to someone with a heavy P-stani accent and tried to explain the problem to him. (In computer challenged language.)  

This guy told me to read out some info from the computer to him and he said it looked like I had a virus.  He told me (in stunted English) what I needed to do.  It involved about six steps to accomplish.  I thought I had the gist of it and got off the line with him to try it. (I should have got them in writing, I guess.)

Well, long story short, by the time I got to step four, I couldn’t remember step five and called them back.  I got someone else, of course (another P-stani dude), and had to try to explain the problem all over again to him.  When I asked what to do next, he had me go to various areas of the computer again.  Finally he said that I didn’t have a virus and asked who told me that I did.  I was a bit disgusted by now and just said: YOU GUYS JUST DID, NOT 15 MINUTES AGO!

Then to top it all off, he said that he wouldn’t be able to help me as I couldn’t remember all the steps that got me there and so he couldn’t backtrack them to undo it! :huh:  I vented quite a bit at that point with some very colorful language and hung up!

I ended up taking my computer to a local computer repair shop and had them fix it for me.  It’s funny that he didn’t have any problem fixing whatever was wrong!  As a matter of fact, the next computer that I bought was from his company.  At least language didn’t hamper any other problem solving sessions.

Needless to say, I never made use of DELL support again, as it proved to be less than useless. 

One of my early desktop computers was purchased from Dell. In the early 90's I believe it was. It was a great choice way back then and it lasted a number of trouble free years. Since then, Dell has gone down hill in every way. Too bad. Started out strong like a lion, but went out like a lamb.

Spent most of the first half of today scanning in 160 pages of a book. It is a French book about a French fishing boat I'm building. Next is turning every other page upright, then an OCR program. After all that I will have to use another program to take it from French to English. I will never rebuild it into an English version of the book, but I hope to gain some insights into the history of the boats.

Bought my first Dell in 1994, lasted about 10years. Bought Dells for every shop I worked at. From servers to workstations to desktops. I presently have a Dell workstation and my wife has a Dell as well. For work she has a sleek HP laptop. 

I've never had a problem with them, ever. Easy to fix and upgrade (unlike Compaq - remember those? and HP ) . I've fixed other name brands but never owned them. 

So, did I just luck out? Picked out the correct combination ?

Marcus