Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

As for desktop I have always built mine with components of my liking, "to get the best for my budget ", the laptop is a Lenovo 1Tb HD. 32Gig ram I7 processor,  but she is now 4 years old. Newegg has always been my source for computer items. 

16 minutes ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

So, did I just luck out? Picked out the correct combination ?

I have had pretty much the same results with Dells for more years than I can count Marcus. I think that the reason I have had suck good luck is that with one exception I have always bought their business Latitude series of computers, not their consumer series. Not one of my Latitude computers has ever failed.

I did buy one Dell brand new for my wife years ago as a traveling computer for her to take on her trips. Several items, (like hard drive) failed within the first couple of months! It seemed like I was constantly waiting for parts from Dell to repair that thing. To add insult to injury all of the replacement parts were used parts that I had to install into my "new" computer!

I am not in the market presently for a new computer as my present Dell is doing fine for my needs, (Knock on wood)  but when I do replace it I don't know if I will buy another Latitude or not. Not because I have lost faith in the product, but because I have bough a couple of "gaming" computers for the kids and the latest one i bought is to be honest one tough computer and has features and abilities that will probably never be available on a Dell for less than twice the money.

As far as operating systems go, I am still out on that . I have been exposed to Windows 10 through having to work with the kids computers, (Games HAVE to have the latest greatest OS) so I am hoping that my windows 7 stays functional and as free of Microsoft's "Planed Obsolescence" as long as possible.  

Does Dell still offer the customization desktops? When I was buying them, you would go through a list and pick out the components you wanted, then they put one together for you. 

Since then, I also just shop for my own components and build the desktop myself. This way, I start shopping for components and wait for a sale before I make each purchase. New Egg is a favorite source for components. They run their flash sales, so you have to be ready to move quickly and buy the components because the great sales prices/parts sell out very quickly. If you snooze, you missed it. I save a lot of money building my own computers this way. Get WAY more bang for the buck.

17 minutes ago, CDW said:

Does Dell still offer the customization desktops?

They do. For both desk tops and laptops, to a degree. But the costs add up quickly! I think you have better control and effective costs doing it your way.

3 minutes ago, lmagna said:

They do. For both desk tops and laptops, to a degree. But the costs add up quickly! I think you have better control and effective costs doing it your way.

Yes, that's what convinced me to start building my own. Also, there are certain components they just don't seem to offer. 

I kinda enjoy going on the Velocity Micro site and play "what if" with their options, but

it gets to $4K pretty quickly.  The one of theirs I have now is enough for my needs.

Until they went belly up, I was  serial Gateway.

2 hours ago, Jaager said:

Until they went belly up, I was  serial Gateway.

Oh yes. Gateway was once at the very top of quality and customer desirability. I remember admiring my friend's new 386 and thinking how advanced it was at that time.

More editing of the Charles W Morgan plans/instructions.

Finished the clean up of the plans so started on the instructions These are supplied in 16 , double column  pages. Font is quite small and printed brown on a blue background. Add to this some significant silverfish damage and readability is not good.  I started by scanning these at the local library to produce a series of PDF files, one per page. As these PDF's are really just images with no text information, I then ran them through an online OCR program to produced a Word document. The site is pay for use but you do get to run 2 files per hour at no charge so it took quite a while to get these done. The job on conversion though was excellent with no editing required other than to fix a few spelling mistakes that were in the original text. The resulting Word files were combined using Libreoffice (linux only at my place!) and put into a format I found usable. The resulting document ran to 57 pages but has the advantage of being readable 🙂

There are few pages (parts lists) that are in table format and are 8 columns wide, these are proving to be a bit more time consuming as I have to cut/paste from a spreadsheet into the editor.

The good news in my canine visitor goes home on Monday so I can actually get started on the build.

A lot of you will be hitting the roads today to be with family. Be a defensive driver taking care of your precious cargo. Look out for the crazies and have the patience of Job.

Count our blessings for the country we live in, and be generous to those less fortunate. If in your travels you see a scruffy with a sign will work for food go to the nearest store and purchase a to go dinner, would not take that much time out of your travels. It may be a homeless vet that needs a helping hand and someone to say thanks for your sacrifice after all he is probably in this state for the sacrifices he has made keeping us safe.

This is what we all should do this day.;) 

If I remember correctly the TRS-80 was sold by sold by Radio Shack in the early/mid 1980’s. It was a rectangular box and the front folded down to reveal the screen.  It ran a spreadsheet program.  The company bought 8 or 10 of these and gave them to department heads to take home to see what we could do with them.  I was able to use the spreadsheet program to estimate the cost of piping systems, a tedious job when done by hand.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

Coming late to the party, my first was an Epson PC clone.  I added a 5 or 10 Meg hard drive into one the slots -turning it into an XT clone.

What I miss is the PC version of Word Perfect .  It was pretty sophisticated, but not ridiculously complicated.  I have no ambition to publish a newspaper or be a book publisher.  I miss the easy to use macro function.

Don't recall the model but we had a Texas Instrument. Cassette. Then I got my first X86? Well, what I DO remember is attaching 10 MB drive and saying, "I'll never fill that"!

Now I've used 2 out of 3 TB on my server.

My first computer was also a Commodore 64. $500 for computer, $500 for their monitor, $500 for the Floppy drive, $500 for the printer, and around $100 for the cassette drive, if I remember correctly. I used a different brand B&W monitor, that I bought used. I sold a few articles, and bought their color monitor with the funds.

The second one was a IBM type 286 DOS machine, with 10MB drive. Now a large % if my files are bigger than 10MB! I have 5.5TB storage on my present one, about %80 full.

I've finished scanning the book and I'm slowly doing the translation. I wish I had found my old Textbridge Pro software before we left for vacation! It has features that allow you to designate things like captions and main text seperately. I have to create two files for pages with captions, one with the main and one with the captions. So far it looks like it will be worth it.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's 'first' experience with computers. 

My first experience was with an Altair 8800. Bought it as a kit. 

256 bytes of RAM. 

I bought it purely to put it together, to see if I could do it. I was amazed that it actually worked. 

So you talk about ANCIENT.... 

Marcus 

HALLELUJAH! (Well, sort of.)  As there remains a lot of finish work to be done, but after a mere 43 days into the installation this last Wednesday, my elevator has become at least usable. Here is a current photo of it at the first floor landing. (Notice the wire hanging from the cab ceiling for the missing lights.)

100_4954.thumb.JPG.6b258f28c38dd9bdcacaa195a93b12c5.JPG

Here is a photo below of the elevator on the way down to the basement.  There are metal cover panels that will cover that drive mechanism on the wall.100_4985.thumb.JPG.04b47192802aac211be154ece537c5b4.JPG

Here a photo below of the cab at the basement level.  The elevator has no pit, so that plywood on the floor in front of the door will need to be anchored down and a beveled threshold needs to added to reduce about a two inch gap from the floor of the cab to the basement slab. (Try driving a wheelchair over a two inch step sometime!)

100_4966.thumb.JPG.cac755b493a53852fb11e41a74856eaa.JPG

The gaps in the floor opening above still need to be filled in and trimmed with more metal. The electrical hookups need quite a bit of finish work including permanent call boxes and new light fixtures in the cab ceiling. (The ones that came with it were defective.  Here we go again!:blink:)  The floor plug to cover the shaft when the elevator is down needs to have a floor matching panel added on and trimmed out.

After all of that, the elevator still needs to be fine-tuned to function smoother. Right now it goes down too fast and shimmies down the rails. (It makes for quite a sudden stop at the bottom!)  Also the floor of the cab needs to be raised a bit, as the door barely swings open without dragging on the floor.  I'd really hate to come upstairs only to find that I can't open the door to get out! :angry:

Oh well, hopefully on Monday, :huh:(day 48) they will return to at least do most of the remaining finish work.  I don’t know how long before the new lights will come in to be put in either.  So, I guess the saga continues!