Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

21 minutes ago, BETAQDAVE said:

HALLELUJAH! (Well, sort of.)  As there remains a lot of finish work to be done, but after a mere 43 days into the installation this last Wednesday, my elevator has become at least usable

:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic   make good use of it.

I feel like a computer neophyte compared with some of you guys.  (PC XT with a 10Mb hard drive .  I splurged on a color monitor.)  But going back to 1972, I remember my physics teacher going nuts over his new purchase: the original HP scientific calculator for a measly $750.  Considering he probably made no more than 10-15k annually, that was quite a chunk of change.

My father, sold Remington Rand Univac for a short while.  In undergrad, they tried to orient us to computers by typing punch cards for an IBM 360.

I saved months of work on calculations for my research project in grad school, because I learned to program a Wang 600 mini computer.   The guys in

the Biochem dept wasted time playing something totally new on a Wang 700 that they called Pong.  Then, a next door lab bought this small box, with a little green port hole screen with the name - Apple.  My Wang programing skill did not translate at all.   They could type papers on it, but the difference was not enough better than a  IBM Sellectric with a tape drive to be worth learning to program it.

Studying Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at the University of Michigan in the early 1960’s we were required to take a 1 credit hour introductory computer course.  In the 15 week semester we wrote 3 programs using MAD (Michigan Algorithm Decoder) language, a Fortran type language.  The programs were not trivial, the first was a program to solve multiple linear equations.

Programs were punched on IBM cards and given to a “hand” that reached out of a window at the computer center.  Several days later we got the cards and printout back only to discover a missed comma on one or more cards, requiring a repeat of the process.  Eventually the three required programs were completed and the course passed.

Roger

4 hours ago, tlevine said:

But going back to 1972, I remember my physics teacher going nuts over his new purchase: the original HP scientific calculator for a measly $750.  

In 1972, I was the chief of a construction survey crew. While I worked on my survey notes and calculations (sometimes many hours), my crew would clean the truck, tools, and often read novels and newspapers/periodicals. When we were issued HP scientific calculators that year, I announced to my crew the party was over. They would now wait minutes rather than hours for me to finish my calculations, and eventually, this type of technology would cost men their jobs. Little did I realize then how true and prophetic my statements to them would be. 

So today I too, got the infamous update from Microsoft. On November 19, my birthday, I backed up my entire system using terabyte unlimited imaging system. It doesn't care if you're running Linux, UNIX, or Apple. The 20th I got the critical update for windows 10.

The problem began slowly, like every third or fourth time I booted my computer it would hang during boot up. Then I got to be five times out of six it would fail to boot. Tried various things, googled, restored old settings. Restored from the image, and she boots up consistently 10 times in a row. Then I went and downloaded the critical update myself and applied. Everything is still smooth.

My operating system is on a solid-state drive and my data is on a three, 1 TB drive raid 0. I dual-boot the SSD drive with Linux Mint, mint no longer sees the raid drive. I've run extensive sector by sector checks on all three drives and find no problems. A bootable mint disk can't find it either.

Who remembers bulletin board services? FidoNet, Association of shareware professionals... I got into it in 1985, and in 87 I started my own. My 1994 I was using OS/2 to multitask, and a hayse eight port serial card. I could get eight people on at a time. I think I was running the 486 DX at the time.

I got Liux and an ISDN. People had to download to the Linux box, then to their local machine. I had one of the most popular BBSs in the city of Grand Rapids Michigan. About 600,000 people. We thought we were pretty cool, we could get a message to and from Germany within 24 hours. If you happen to be sitting at your computer at the right time anyway.

Still have both my HP 15c and 16c calculators. Used the 15c extensively in statistics in grad school. With this calculator I no longer had to wait 24 hours for my results from the university statistical computer. I instantly had it 

The 16c was a calculator for debugging computer programs. 

Marcus 

IMG_20181128_142813.jpg

Edited by flying_dutchman2

Always looking for trouble with computers, I decided to install Linux as a virtual machine using VMware. I already know it won't find my raid system anymore. But I always synchronize to my backup server. I just mapped to drive permanently and it's like a local drive.

Nothing exciting there right? So on a whim, I used VMware's vcenter converter to create a virtual machine of the host Windows 10 computer. I now have an exact clone of my Windows 10 machine running as a virtual machine on my windows 10 host.

The virtual machine, a.k.a. guest, cannot see the raid drives either. I can still access the synchronize data through a map drive, but the bottom line is I want linux as the host and Windows as a guest.

I have now tried several flavors of Linux and none of them will see my raid drive. I'm having mint withdraw.

I need Windows for two reasons. I am writing a book and using a program called Dragon speak naturally. Using it now, I love it. I also needed to access the raid drive. One option I have, is to move the three drives in the raid to another PC I have. See if I can boot to Linux there. Then I just swap machines. I can run Windows 10 virtual machine inside Linux to use Dragon speak. Incidentally, this program is worth checking out they even have a version for doctors.

One thing that took me by surprise, was that I got no complaints from the network crying about two computers with the same name. In days of old and IP address would not be assigned. I had no problems at all, very cool. Not worth playing with but interesting.

Sitting here checking site to take a break from a mind numbing court preparation.

I will be editing 4.5 hrs. of video, and over 300 photos. We are representing ourselves on an appeal from District Civil to Circuit Civil Court.

I won't get into my rant regarding members of the bar and judges I have observed and dealt with for over 25 years. We have filed all our own statement of claims, motions, and appeals. On the appeal was filed when District ruled in the favor of Defendants (them) took 1 year to get and was a simple case. His ruling was so bizarre and did not deal with case facts. On an appeal if the Circuit Court found no merit they would turn it down obviously they agreed with us and accepted the appeal (which does not mean victory).

I do have attorney friends that help to a point, but the monetary value of the case is not enough to obtain representation on contingency. I tried to make this brief I could fill pages of pics that would be of no interest.

We have never sued anyone and believe it to be a last resort when complaints fell on deaf ears.

Thanks for this site has nothing to do with modeling, have cleared my head:10_1_10: now back to war :dancetl6:with the system.:pirate41:

Edited by John Allen
added never sued

John,

If you have access to Netflix and want relief from dealing with legal system hassles,  I suggest that you watch a few episodes of “The Rake.”  Episodes deal with Australian courts and lawyers but anyone can appreciate,the humor.  Not kid friendly!!

Roger

John, I feel your pain. We had to evict a tenant from our farm after she became a seasonal worker and only paid rent when she could afford it. We ended up selling the farm out from under her.

3 hours ago, Canute said:

John, I feel your pain. We had to evict a tenant from our farm after she became a seasonal worker and only paid rent when she could afford it. We ended up selling the farm out from under her.

Here government in it's infinit wisdom has decreed the tennant can keep it's living space, even if the object is sold ...

Here our latest craze is the more affluent homeless people, (Read drug addicts) have bought motor homes and pretty much park anywhere they want in city neighborhood streets. The law says that Motorhomes can only be parked on the street for 24 hours. There is also a law that says you can not "camp" on the streets, including in vehicles. But a Judge decided that the cars and motorhomes these people are using are their "Home" and therefore exempt from the laws and can not be ticketed or towed!:huh:

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Here our latest craze is the more affluent homeless people, (Read drug addicts) have bought motor homes and pretty much park anywhere they want in city neighborhood streets. The law says that Motorhomes can only be parked on the street for 24 hours. There is also a law that says you can not "camp" on the streets, including in vehicles. But a Judge decided that the cars and motorhomes these people are using are their "Home" and therefore exempt from the laws and can not be ticketed or towed!:huh:

I bet the judge would quickly change his/her mind if a half dozen broken down motor homes and airstreams parked in front of their home. 

25 minutes ago, CDW said:

half dozen broken down motor homes and airstreams parked in front of their home. 

Don't I wish.

But it never happens. In fact this judge is in Oregon and his ruling has affected the entire country, even out your way. 

The same is true about the state parole boards. I always thought there should be special homes placed within a half mile of THEIR homes to house the people THEY FEEL are safe to return to the local communities! About 85% of the people they let out each year are back in within two years or less depending on how quickly they get caught!

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

By law it is forbidden to camp (read also in a mobile home) within city limits unless a plot has been made available. E.g. in Apeldoorn there is a parking lot where it is permitted to stay for a night, or at least it is  tollerated. You may park a camper in a street, on a drive way, but you may not use it in the afore mentioned way. A home is a fixed place, whilst a caravan, mobile unit, or whatever you want to call it makes you the equivalent of a gipsy/nomad. For those people there a spots made available. Not everywhere, unfortunately for them.

A judge here can never rule that a mobile living unit is a home as such, it is, however, an interesting premise to try in court ...

1 hour ago, cog said:

however, an interesting premise to try in court ...

That's just it. The premise was tried on court, and the vagrant won. The judge found that the police were wrong in impounding his "House" (in this case a pickup truck) and awarded him the dismissal of charges and money from the city as a refund for the impound fees. I was wrong in my first statement, it was not down in Oregon but right here in good old Seattle.

I am pretty certain that virtually all cities here in the west coast of the US have just rolled over and no one is appealing the decision. I KNOW they have not in my area!

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/homeless/judge-rules-seattle-homeless-mans-truck-is-a-home/

"Here you can leave a vehicle parked for 72 hours"

It is the same here except for motorhomes and large trailers that are 24 hours.

Edited by lmagna

In this day and age I'm surprised the judge didn't make the city pay damages to the to the home/truck owner for mental anguish, lost of use, harassment.

Remember the lady that spilled hot coffee on her leg and sued McDonalds and was awarded a huge settlement because of McDonalds negligence.

Who's running the insane asylum:wacko: times 2.

21 hours ago, cog said:

Here government in it's infinit wisdom has decreed the tennant can keep it's living space, even if the object is sold ...

Stupid  laws, such as this, previously ruined the private rented sector in the U.K., meaning less homes and more homelessness, the law was changed back to enable easier eviction and the private rented sector flourished. We seem to be going around in circles. What next, strangers with rights of abode in your own home? 

10 hours ago, John Allen said:

In this day and age I'm surprised the judge didn't make the city pay damages to the to the home/truck owner for mental anguish, lost of use, harassment.

Remember the lady that spilled hot coffee on her leg and sued McDonalds and was awarded a huge settlement because of McDonalds negligence.

Who's running the insane asylum:wacko: times 2.

Insane government officials ..?