Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Here? LOL. Their all on the take. Even our local police department can't make a breaking and entering stick. Video, home alarm going off...

We have a neighbor that cranks his music. Retired cop. Call the police and they say there's no noise ordinance. We pay Home owner association fee's. Why, then? I met the City Administrator one day at a neighborhood watch meeting. I asked and he said there most certainly is. He went and bitched at the dispatch people. (One in particular) Now they say, if they can't here it when they get there an hour later I'll have to make a citizens arrest.

I've been fighting this for ten years. We're moving to the foot hills of the Sierra Mountains this spring. Lot's of retirement communities.

1 hour ago, thibaultron said:

In some states a mobile home is registered as a vehicle.

Here it depends.  When the Mobile home is being transported as a trailer and has wheels it is a registered vehicle. If it is placed onto a foundation and the wheels are removed then it is no longer required to be registered. But I doubt there are any mobile home police running around and checking on a regular basis.

fly-overs are used here., used for illegal building as well. As far as I know one can have a temporary mobile home on one's premisses, but you need a permit based on e.g. construction, or renovation of the primary building

On 11/24/2018 at 12:12 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

So, I guess the saga continues!

Indeed!  Day 57 of the installation is here and I still wait for completion of the job.  Around 2:30 today the branch manager is coming to check the status of my installation and do a "punch list" of what remains to be done.  Is he in for a surprise!  While it's true the elevator goes up and down, it gives a very uneven ride.  It shudders from side to side, at times there are some spots in it's travel that the cab bounces, and there are some suspicious scraping noises as if something is dragging.  I suspect the fact that the tower cover panels are not lined up properly as shown in photo below.

100_5007.thumb.JPG.1dd9835031f266faa721de9ccdbff30e.JPG

The cab floor needs adjusting to stop flush with the floor.  The light timer only lets the lights remain on for five seconds while it's supposed to stay on for 60.  

The cab door has a closer, but nothing to hold the door open to get in or out.  Currently I have to put these paint cans down to prop the door open, then back in, and use the walking stick to push the prop out of the way to let the door close, then at the next landing I have to hold door open with my hand while rolling out. 

100_5024.thumb.JPG.36dc201851fab21e721fadfbdcfc6011.JPG

These two back corners need to be filled in.

100_5014.thumb.JPG.993b400944a9b494c2e4b8b6e5d0cdf7.JPG

100_5013.thumb.JPG.550ecc210674fbd0899880d1caf752d9.JPG

Then there are some major problems with the floor plug and the floor opening.   The photo below shows that the floor opening trim has the L shaped flange on the top of the opening, but the flange is supposed to be for trimming the ceiling below.100_5010.thumb.JPG.76ceb18c570b176d7c8a19f38fdc14c3.JPG

That is the opposite of the manual drawings shown below.

100_5027.thumb.JPG.0a13885d8f3da899581a023b0e5b7292.JPG

100_5028.thumb.JPG.a5f76c9824a5748016212f125b47c1c9.JPG

The floor plug requires a 3/4" thick plywood top screwed to the side metal flanges of the plug with a matching floor finish on top of that. (Apparently for the strength to allow people to stand on it when the cab is downstairs.)  The top of the finish floor is supposed to be flush with the surrounding floor by the side plug flanges resting on a dropped ledge.  This photo shows the floor opening that is supposed to be sheathed with the metal trim as shown in the manual above.

100_5002.thumb.JPG.0405dec2587ee45fa2b25f7fb2a4dd7a.JPG

At present the plug is held up by some small shims that the upside down trim is screwed to and the top flange of the L shaped trim, and the plywood top and finish floor, if applied now, would stick up about an inch above the surrounding floor.  (What part of flush with the surrounding floor didn't they understand?)  

Well, now he will certainly have a bit of a to-do list to write up for his "punch list".   It seems to me that they haven't put one of these units before.  So, now I'll have to see how much longer this saga will be going to continue.  Day 57 continues!

I often hire neighborhood kids to do small jobs around the yard. I always ask if they know what the word "Integrity" means. If they don't they don't stand a chance of being hired. I also ask them how they rate their level of confidence on a scale of 1 to 10. One kid says, "10. Depending on what it is."

Dave, hard trials there, mate. It's frustrating getting good work from folks sometimes.

We had an instance this summer with similar "installers". We wanted a door for the railroad depot in town to allow folks to go back and forth into the depot without having to walk the entire 100'+ building to get to the one people door. We have a working freight door (10' high, 10' wide) so had a design to plug that opening with a more normal sized, self closing people door. The depot is 106 years old, so the original opening wasn't square and plumb. The sales folks measured the opening with all the squirrely dimensions, costed it out and then we waited for installation. The installers threw it up and left multiple gaps around the whole assembly. (here in the South, we like to limit the intrusion of flying insects, etc into our air-conditioned buildings ;)) Apparently, they build it square and plumb at the factory, but nobody thought about the trimming out to fit the real opening. We held the check until the shop owner came out and fixed the mess his installers left.

Dave,

Man I feel for you, you would think you would be a top priority, Hope you held back sizable amount to be paid upon completion. Everybody has hired a crew like this, hope they can make PROPER repairs without dismantling.

Were they from the company or had done this kind of work before? I know  you had them vetted.

Sadly sounds like Laurel & Hardy wish you luck.

5 hours ago, John Allen said:

Hope you held back sizable amount to be paid upon completion.

They will still be looking for $12,000 until they get this done to my satisfaction.  They haven't repeated any mention of price break on service for my lift that the boss was telling me about before either.  I think I'll need that in writing though!;) 

2 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

They will still be looking for $12,000 until they get this done to my satisfaction.  

Good on you, Dave, for holding back $12,000 until job is complete.

I sure am hoping all of this works out well for you in the end, and that it happens sooner rather than later.

If you haven't already, it may be wise to consult an attorney to see what options you have at this time. You holding $12,000 is an obvious form of leverage, but it would be good to know what legal standing you have to ensure the contractor finishes this work in a reasonable time frame and that it is finished to your satisfaction.

Tonight I  made 7 lb. of swedish meatballs made after an old classic recipe. Lost count after 200 meatballs.

Now they are ready for the annual Christmas party tomorrow with my Swedish Lodge in Spokane.

Edited by Nirvana

I finished one of the most unpleasant tasks of the year today. My gosh I am glad it's done and over for another year. What, you ask?

Renewed my annual subscription to Sirius XM satellite radio, that's what. These people are the most annoying to deal with outside the possible exception of the Internal Revenue Service. I dread having to go through the faux "negotiations" with them every stinking time to get a fair shake on the subscription rate. 

I know I cannot possibly be in a minority who feel this way. But the good news is, I got the subscription rate I wanted and didn't get shafted.

Fair warning: Do not under any circumstances allow your Sirius XM radio subscription go to an automatic renewal. You must cancel your subscription the day before it expires, then renegotiate the renewal rate. If you do not, you are going to be screwed (in layman's terms).

As unpleasant as it is, you must go through this goat rope each and every time your subscription is up for renewal.🤬

Sirius XM came installed in my  car radio at time of purchase (2010), gave me a FREE introductory 6 month subscription, found I used it only 4-5 times ever and then only 1-2 channels. Let it expired. They hounded me for another six months to subscribe but I ignored them.  Took the car into dealer for normal oil change service and got another FREE 3 month trial subscription, let that expire because I only turn the radio on once. Now each time I take the car in for service I get an email from Sirius telling me to "click this link to activate your FREE 3 month trial subscription"  I just hit the delete key instead.  I rarely turn the car radio on unless I'm on a long trip then I use it to play CDs.........

I get "free" weeks from Sirius XM because my car came with a 6 month "free" trial.  Checked it out a couple of times but with a 5 disc CD player plus MP3 hook up I am not about to pay for Sirius for the car.

For the shop I listen to Pandora on the computer.  The free version is annoying with ads and frequent stopping the music so you have to click "I am still here" for it to continue.  SO I pay the $55 per year for Pandora Plus - no commercials and no interruptions.  Pandora allows you to pick and set up "stations".  My Dave Brubeck station plays Brubeck and similar artists - if I don't care for an artist or song I can hit the thumbs down symbol and I don't get that song by that artist again.  It sort of learns what you like.  I have Pink Floyd, Led Zeppalin, Joe Bonamassa, Jeff Beck and a few others.  You can listen to one station or set up a shuffle between selected stations.  For $55 a year I consider it a bargain.  They also have a Premium subscription for just over $100 per year where you can specify play lists and set up programs.

I also have my great Technics system with record player, CD changer, tuner, amp and cassette player/duplicator (should sell it as I haven't used it in 20 years).  Slowly transferring my vinyl to digital and often listen to the digital copies on the computer or put them on a mp3/4 unit and take it in the car.

Kurt

Oh yeah, I listen to Pandora radio all the time inside the house/shop. Haven't upgraded to the paid version yet, but have my Bonamassa channel set up for regular use along with a SRV channel, too. Love the blues. 

Weird thing is, my car radio allows for blue tooth streaming from my android phone which could open the possibility for Pandora in the car, but it only gives a low volume. If I turn the volume up way high, it plays without distortion. But when you switch back to a regular radio station (not streaming), the volume will blow out your ear drums if you have not turned it back down. Wish I knew how to fix that issue and why it does that low volume thing when streaming.

If you negotiate with Sirius XM, they will give you the 12 month subscription for $60. Otherwise, they hook you for 4 or 5 times that much on quarterly intervals. They play a really mean con game. But I like the vast selection of stations including every news and sports channels you can think of. To me, it's worth $5 a month, but not $15 or $20 a month.  

Well, I met with the branch manager for the elevator "punch list" on day 57 of the install odyssey and gave him my list listed below.

-Fill in back corners of opening by tower, repair and paint.

-Adjust timer on lights for longer stay on time. (5 seconds at present time)

-Attach door stop to enable door to remain open on enter and exit.

-Adjust floor of cab to flush out with floor at top landing.

-The door closer needs adjustment to allow door to open a full 90 degrees at basement landing.

- Adjust ride of cab to take care of the bounce and shimmy while going both up and down. (There are sounds of something dragging or scraping coming from the tower.)

-The opening has to be altered to allow proper fitting of floor plug so it can be properly supported and allow the finish floor to be flush when the cab is down.

-The metal trim needs to be reinstalled properly as the metal L shaped trim is presently upside down and has the floor plug sitting on top of it and the floor rather than a recessed ledge as shown on page 53 of the installation manual.  (The L shaped trim is supposed to be the trim for the basement ceiling.) 

-The dropped side ledgers are shown as solid lumber in the manual rather than just shims as it is the sole support for the plug and anyone on top of it when the cab is down. 

-The ¾” plywood for the top of the floor plug needs to be installed as shown in the manual with the bottom edge beveled and matching floor vinyl applied.

-The floor opening needs to be trimmed with some type of metal edging to cover the edge of the floor.

-The remaining repairs to the drywall need to be finished and painted.

-The wood floor trim moldings need to be reapplied.

-Hook up the phone.

That should keep them busy for a while!  Hoping that this will all be over by X-mas! (What are the odds of that?) 

Day 62 is Monday already!!:omg:

3 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

What was the branch managers reaction to the punch list?

Well, he tore up his list and made notes on mine instead.  He was here about an hour going over it and said everything on the list seemed to be reasonable concerns.  He was going to take the list to the owner on Friday to get things rolling again.  (That is hopefully Monday.) (Day 62) 

21 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

Pandora Plus - no commercials and no interruptions.

Kurt, that line reminds me of the logic behind cable TV.  Originally they claimed that if you paid for their pay TV cable service you could avoid all the commercials and interruptions that came with free TV.  Well, have you seen cable TV lately?  You still have to pay all of the fees but now you get all the ads and interruptions too! :huh:  So, how long before all of those streaming services follow suit?

On 12/7/2018 at 11:06 PM, Nirvana said:

Tonight I  made 7 lb. of swedish meatballs made after an old classic recipe. Lost count after 200 meatballs.

Now they are ready for the annual Christmas party tomorrow with my Swedish Lodge in Spokane.