Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Day 62 of our elevator install odyssey started with an e-mail to the project manager in the morning, asking him for update on my schedule as I didn't hear anything on Friday.  Five minutes later, he phoned me and said that a crew was on the way this morning.  Didn't I get the message on Friday?  Well, there was no message on my phone or computer!  He really seems to have a hard time keeping me informed for some reason.

So, a crew of two drove in at 11:00. (Technically that is still morning right?)  They spent the day correcting the opening in the floor, applying the 3/4" plywood to the floor plug, filling in the two back corners, and partially applying the metal floor edging.  These photos show the extent of the days work.

100_5037.thumb.JPG.db00ce643844361532582f97bbca4317.JPG

100_5035.thumb.JPG.8f880492de3ad6bb175a8d60f566e023.JPG

100_5036.thumb.JPG.ae42205498ab87ba28c799d4763aa29b.JPG

By the way those two notches cut out of the floor plug plywood have to remain as they are for access to the floor plug adjustment bolts, so no, those are not mistakes.

100_5033.thumb.JPG.1e53901a22c4b9039bb37202729fd170.JPG

100_5034.thumb.JPG.5352d6106447de2d0c186ff9209a397a.JPG

They were here till 5:00 and told me that they would not be back tomorrow, which takes the elevator install odyssey to at least Wednesday. (Day 64)  Looking back at the "punch list" (see post 5534 above) there still remain quite a few issues to resolve.  While I am somewhat doubtful that they can all be done to finish the project in one day, miracles can happen right? :rolleyes:

Well here it is Wednesday already. (day 64)  No one working today.  Sent e-mail inquiry and was e-mailed back that Friday is next available work day.  (day 66)  It seems that I'm back on the do when they get around to it priority list.  I'm willing to bet that that won't be the last day either!  Why don't we just make it Monday to make it an even 70 days for completion! :omg:  Oh well, I think I may be just as concerned with paying the remaining bill in such a likewise non-timely fashion. B)

At least the same number of days as delayed after the initial promised completion date.  And send them a letter when they send the bill - w/o payment - telling them to expect the bill shortly - in X days because you want to be as prompt as they were.

Kurt

1 hour ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Diss them on facebook and yelp.

As I am not a member of either one of those, I would however, refrain from doing that as they are the ones who will have to service it in the future.  Something akin to "don't burn the bridges behind you" or something like that. :unsure:

Dave,

You can also create a bank note with the remaining amount, this way they can see the money is there but not available until all work and inspections are completed. It's a safe way where you still have the money as a leverage. This is being used in many other areas, to get job done in a timely manner. To me these 60 days + is just ridiculous. This should had been done in 14 days. Sorry to hear you are dealing with amateurs.

Long time ago, when building a new house The Admiral and me created such account in order to get the various contractor paid and had the job done in time.  We even had in the contract a bonus to contractors finalizing and had their job inspected and approved before their deadline, the General Contractor excluded. On the other hand I had a good lawyer creating this contract.

Yesterday I had to take one of our cats to the vet due to a ruptured eye. Today they are removing it. She injured it while we were on vacation, and despite a week and a half of antibiotic treatments, the infection was to severe. I'll pick her up this afternoon.

13 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

"don't burn the bridges behind you

Dave,

I am surprised neighbors haven't called 911 having heard shots fired. :pirate41::pirate41::pirate41:You described it best an (Odyssey). You have the patience of Job or a large bottle of Xanax. You have my commiserations most of us have had a problem with a project and contractor and half way in problems arise and the age old problem do we bring in someone else (more money) or keep the bad one that may not finish or is incapable of finishing.

Your almost there play the game be sweet, you will have many options for payback.

Curious what kind of warranty?  Did you write or is it in the contract last payment upon satisfactory completion the key satisfactory. 

Feel for you good luck hope the rest of install and repair goes smooth.

Sorry to hear of your cat's eye Ron. Not a real good time of year to have to deal with issues like that.

Luckily it appears you were able to get it under control. I have worried about our dog a few times as he has pretty prominent eyes and he and the cat play pretty rough several times a day, with the cat winning most of the time. 

Re: Elevator Install,

Dave,

A problem of our current “gig economy”  is that organizations marketing home improvement products often do not have their own installers and subcontract this work to independent contractors.  It is therefore possible that the guys doing the work may not actually work for the people that you bought the elevator from.  Their unfamiliarity with the hardware might contribute to their shoddy work.  

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

3 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Is it anything like this Lou?

Pretty much, except they are about the same size.

He seems to pick a time that suits him and just sees the cat and bowls her over in a running tackle but still seems to end up on the bottom with the cat pinning him down with her mouth around his throat looking for all the world like an African lion going for the kill on a gazelle! It's almost frightening to watch sometimes as when she has him he will just lay there for a few moments like he is dead. Then he jumps up and bounces around in front of her and tries to bat at or bite her front paws. He must think that he is part cat as well as he will even bat at her face with his paw as if he had the same kind of weapons as she has! Eventually someone will break and run and the chase is on! They will race through all of the rooms of the house with little regard for the people who may be sitting there over furniture, (at least the cat does) and people alike. If you yell at them in shock or because you are getting tired of it they just run upstairs and for the next fifteen minutes you will hear them racing around. It's like living in a multi story apartment with loud upper tennents!

In reality I kind of like it because it relieves me of the need to play with them as much. (I'm getting old and crotchety) and possibly a little lazy as well. But then the pup will play tug-of-war with me or steal my shoe or sock, and then go to my older son and do the same. He has tried with my younger son and wife as well but they just won't be bothered and yell at him so he either comes back to us or attacks the cat. Sometimes the cat will attack him first as well.

What is even funnier is that when we take him outside in the backyard if he sees a squirrel or neighbor cat the chase is on! All he wants to do with them is chase them out of HIS yard. One neighbor cat the other day just sat on their side of the fence and looked at him while he went crazy barking, something he almost never does. 

Edited by lmagna

We had a black lab and a huge main-coon cat. The cat had one of those "Cat trees" for lack of a better word. Lots of places to hide and jump around, holes to hop into with shelves and a crows nest at the top. The cat would jump in a hole and go down to the next shelf and when the dog stuck his head in the cat would shred his chin from below. To the day she died she had scars on her chin.

5 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Their unfamiliarity with the hardware might contribute to their shoddy work.

Oh, you mean like when they put the metal trim to face the hole in the floor upside down, despite the clearly shown illustrations in the install manual!  :huh:  I have found that it has become a good idea to read the manual myself and kind of supervise the installation. (Which is what I did after finding some things didn't look right.)  Of course, they probably don't appreciate me looking over their shoulders, but I think that I have paid more than enough for this project to make sure it's done right.  Besides that, I'm sure the warranty wouldn't cover much if it is not properly installed.  :rolleyes:

On 12/13/2018 at 11:37 PM, thibaultron said:

Cat came home today. She got through the operation OK. Maybe I should rename my one eyed cat ARRGH!

or Patch ...

Friday 66 ... I'd say that would make Monday 69 ...  bummer, thedy've got Tuesday too ... I feel for you Dave, and being dependant on the same company afterwards ... that's even worse ...

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

I'm kind of partial to "Patch" as well. WIth my clumsy pup i should name him "Thud" as he is always falling off of things or missing a jump!

I would call him Bat ;)

On 12/15/2018 at 10:53 AM, cog said:

Friday 66 ... I'd say that would make Monday 69

Got me there cog.  Looks like my waning patience has affected my ability to count. ;) 

Well anyway, my Friday crew (for day 66) of two became a crew of one, as number two called in sick.  This left me with just the carpenter who drove in at 11:45 and worked till 5:45.  He was able to get the vinyl laid on the floor plug, redid the corner blocks and modified the support ledgers.  He put the metal trim panels that covered the well opening on, put metal floor edging on the vinyl, and reinstalled the wood baseboard.  Pictures below show the results of the days work.

100_5044.thumb.JPG.f60f29529d2707b3b7cef3ceaff68b73.JPG

100_5045.thumb.JPG.a438c91e491b13fbcdeddecc844afa9b.JPG

100_5048.thumb.JPG.62a1c82cc909fe775bd4874747b064e5.JPG

100_5046.thumb.JPG.c57e1b1951a81e0bdad9a612a965351d.JPG

It was a fair days work, but they have a lot more to go to finish the "punch list".  Wasn't given any indication that anyone will be here on Monday (day 69) either so, maybe no one here till at least Tuesday. (day 70)

Another problem developed since the crew left on Monday.  There has been the sound of a motor of some kind coming from the lift tower.  When I called the office about it on Wednesday the manager would check with the lift company and get back to me.  Thursday he finally called back and said he would stop over that day or Friday to check it out as no one at the factory knew what it was.  Of course he didn't, despite my call to his cell on Friday to remind him!  The carpenter can confirm the noise, so it's not just me hearing things!

So, whatever is making that noise has been running continuously since Monday and will continue until at least next Monday.  I will be very upset if I find that whatever motor has been running for that long should burn out before the warranty even starts! (Wonder how long that would take to replace?)

Well yesterday a visit to the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. I was like a tourist in New York whose head stayed stuck  looking up at the skyscrapers. It was a really masterful display of Naval Air History. The models of carriers and support ships was outstanding wish lower light hard to get some pics. I asked a Docent who constructed the models he "stated a retired Chief and on the WWII Enterprise it took 18 bottles of scotch, that's how he measured how long it took to complete each model". If any of you passing through the area 2 things on a historical bucket list Naval Air Station, and WWII museum New Orleans.

Lou, look familiar

huey.thumb.jpg.f8ca750539cd4d37c8aed7a3b17fd126.jpg

Hey Jud this one for you.

403.thumb.jpg.7fac26b5cf2c137fff1f02d225fe5768.jpg

40mm1.thumb.jpg.bc0a13ea3504d00fbdd729c014ed83ca.jpg

40mm.thumb.jpg.e16784812e7854d0b18aeffaea4c4fa4.jpg

Ship models just a few all were in excess of 3 feet

m1.thumb.jpg.81ce3f50571798c92a5d00ebe6be3c10.jpgm2.thumb.jpg.5140f8e09158528e76c9df03e00dc990.jpg

m3.thumb.jpg.76ddafb5f4fdcca8277f09fc179458b4.jpg

m4.thumb.jpg.bccfc3464092d3823463a27a2ac3462f.jpg

m5.thumb.jpg.c16feb6b63a33bfe4ef392a4d9df1a8f.jpg

ball.thumb.jpg.54a6e497618a524bb4d02cf1652f9760.jpg

1723861577_flyingb2.thumb.jpg.7b7cffb818de1836d597c879aafe654d.jpg

flyingboat.thumb.jpg.ff76b0b6667574cff4a8e150a0783727.jpg

g2.thumb.jpg.3fd1bddba1c167212ac1d616e2cfd101.jpg

gerbi.thumb.jpg.30e500571faeb65f46591c1e7bedaef1.jpg

gondola.thumb.jpg.4d17fc28f0d42fd9e41f958f48c5edbc.jpg

japo.thumb.jpg.6995e0be34e4d1a4d16d41519afd027d.jpg

marine1.thumb.jpg.d42e2da773f6b4817d6d3b4d5b92645a.jpg

ww1bom.thumb.jpg.c1700af07cd70bbdb805a1105ef901cd.jpg

ww1disp.thumb.jpg.c8a2b357d339e9d101ddbdcc41a1a638.jpg

wwibattery.thumb.jpg.53b3507815f3fc3ababc3d0d3e0d0b33.jpg

These are just a few, would take 2 days to see all with all interactive displays and you can strap into a simulator. Museum free accepts donations.

Was a good day good seafood at MacQuires primo restaurant. Son in law picked up tab (good boy, good day)