The "What have you done today?" thread.

Spent the morning and most of the afternoon working on the laundry room.  Nothing is normal here.  On the wall shared with the kitchen, I temporarily firred out the lower half with 2x4s and drilled holes (properly pitched, of course) for the waste pipe going to the slop sing and washer.  Next up is firring out the adjacent wall with 2x6s.  It's a block wall so no existing studs in place.  

Break time's over.  Gotta get that done soon or we're going to have to wash clothes at the laundromat.  That could lead to relationship problems. 😬

19 minutes ago, Julie Mo said:

Break time's over.  Gotta get that done soon or we're going to have to wash clothes at the laundromat.  That could lead to relationship problems. 😬

If push comes to shove, you'll just have to open up that wallet and pay for wash, dry, and fold service as a temporary measure. 🙂 My admiral would knock knots on my head faster than I could rub them if I told her we were doing our laundry at the laundromat. 😵

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Today.... paid the Infernal Revenue Service their pound of flesh and then some.  And no, that's not a misspelling in the IRS name.

Sorry Mark, but I cannot possibly "like" that. I feel your pain. I keep putting it off, but now I'm down to days remaining until deadline so I better get with the program.

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Sorry Mark, but I cannot possibly "like" that. I feel your pain. I keep putting it off, but now I'm down to days remaining until deadline so I better get with the program.

That one I can like.

Just like Mark, I also had to feed the "Infernal Revenue Service" greedy stomach.  Even with extra withholding. 
There went the vacation..... thanks IRS

Well, I maybe paying them the rest of the year also on "expected" income and taxes. <sigh>   I'm still going to figure out how to do a road trip down the coast highway from the north end to the the southern end but that may have hold off.  It is on my bucket list and near the top.

Hmmm.... just struck me.  The Constellation model.  I'll donate to say the museum in San Diego (where the sub, the Surpise, and the (I can never remember the name of it) clipper is. Write off the whole trip... ?

Been working like I was 40 again to get the laundry room done.  Yesterday I finished the plumbing and electric and connected the washer and dryer and did some laundry.  Whew!  My SO wants to paint the block with an anti mold & mildew paint.  After that's done I'll finish the drywall. 

LR_006.jpg.9ec1b7713c5cb0a746321c54e19d0fbe.jpg

The appliances will eventually go straight back from where they are now.  Then I'll put a base cabinet to the right of the dryer.  After that, I have to lay the flooring. 

The patched areas are where shelves used to exist.  The horizontal line on the left was Wiremold.  Someone used Wiremold to drop out of the attic to feed 240v to the dryer in a very Rube Goldberg fashion.  I probably spent a day or more undoing the hack work.  But this wasn't the dreaded job I anticipated. 

7 minutes ago, Julie Mo said:

This is what I'm working like a dog for:

Not sure how they took that picture, with the inflatable on the deck...

OMG...that is one beautiful boat! Congratulations with a cherry on top. That thing is gorgeous. 

Your SO is right on the money with that anti-mold primer. Works like a charm, but stinks to high heaven while it's drying. It really makes your finish paint stay like new for years and stops peeling and chipping. I swear by either Zinser or one of the other popular anti mold primer...particularly here in Florida where we have such high humidity.

I really dig your new boat. Great job picking that one out.

4 hours ago, cog said:

So you are coming over Julie ...

I'll stop by later this afternoon.  Just have the rum ready. 

Speaking of rum, if this sale goes through, we will be re-naming the boat.  Of course that means calling upon the Gods of the Sea and asking for their blessing.  I have it on high authority if I follow this we will not anger the Gods.

Required Items

1. Lots of liquid spirits for the guests – soft drinks, beer, wine, rum and other liquor

2. Lots and lots of food available for all to eat

3. A silver dollar – the older the better

4. Bottles of champagne for christening

5. Red wine for blessing

6. Ship’s Bell for ringing

Planning the Ceremony / Summary

a. You must plan to put on a great show. Show your boat that money is no object, and that you will do anything for it. Show the vessel that your checkbook is wide open. In fact, you want to make this boat really believe that you, as the newly adopted owners, will make life really terrific!

b. Pour a round of drinks for everyone who comes by.

c. Ring the bell to call the ceremony to order. Ring it again to make sure that they heard it.

d. Ask your guests to give verbal comments about how nice your hospitality is. You might think this is really weird, but the boat needs to hear others rave about your generosity.

Tradition and History

Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships are those who have defied the nautical Gods and changed their names improperly. Thankfully there is a way to change a boat's name without upsetting the various deities of the sea and air.

According to tradition and legend, each and every vessel is recorded by specific name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, the God of the Sea. Thus we need to purge its former name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidon’s memory. There are five necessary elements in this important ceremony:

• Invocation
  • Expression of Gratitude
  • Supplication
  • Re-dedication
  • Libation

The rest can be found HERE.

You can be certain I will not chance angering the Gods.  They must be appeased!

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Your SO is right on the money with that anti-mold primer. Works like a charm, but stinks to high heaven while it's drying.

Smarty pants me saw a sale on Zinnser Complete and grabbed it.  When my SO opened it, WHEW!  It really did stink.  It was only when it came time to clean up that we realized I bought oil based paint!  Guess how we found out? 

There seems to be a major trend in beds now to make them so high off the floor that one would need a step alongside the bed just to get up on it.  That’s all well and good for people who are tall or even average height, but short people (like the admiral who stands in at 5’-2”) have a very hard time with it.  Or, in my case being in a wheelchair and needing a transfer board just to get aboard, it’s a real pain in the you know what!

We had an adjustable frame bed with a tempur-pedic mattress that fit in that category of being too high.  By removing the wheels from the frame, it lopped off about three inches from that height, making access a little easier for a temporary fix, but the mattress unfortunately had also developed a very noticeable sag which made it very difficult for me to even roll over in it.

So, that put us in the market for a new bed.  My wheelchair has me sitting at about 18 inches off the floor, so we looked for a bed to match.  Well, that lead to our attempt to buck the major trend mentioned above.  Almost all of the new mattresses run about 14 to 16 inches by themselves, leaving only room for a frame of two to four inches!  Good luck with that!

We did finally manage to find an adjustable frame that was only 2 3/4 inches high (shown here)100_5443.thumb.JPG.92bf44310959354331239eaac38e51cf.JPG and a 15 inch thick mattress to go with it, so we thought we had it made with a total of 17 ¾ inches.  We shelled out a bit over three grand and had it delivered yesterday. 

There was one little factor that we didn’t account for however.  When using the transfer board for the first time, I found out that the mattress compressed about four or five inches, and while sliding across it made for a steep ramp downhill to get aboard.  While that in itself may not seem to be a bad thing, don’t forget that to transfer back to the chair it was now uphill!  What’s that saying about the best laid plans?

As the bed and frame were built to order and nonreturnable, it would seem to have left us in the lurch so to speak.  It’s a good thing that I have a somewhat MacGyverish (a popular TV show) mind set for innovative solutions to these kinds of problems.   As we are going back to the store where we bought it tomorrow to see what, if anything, is available, hopefully I won’t have to MacGyver it after all.

13 hours ago, Aceman said:

I finished organizing my new custom desk that i had the local Mennonite build for me. The desk is made out of wormy maple wood and all the plastic containers were bought at Dollarama. Surprising they fit quite well.   Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Jerry

Now that is a splendid working desk. Designed so well for organizing as well as beautiful.

13 hours ago, Aceman said:

Hope you enjoy it.

Actually, I think that we all hope that you enjoy using it alot more than we enjoy just looking at it!  With that carpeted floor though, I'd hate to drop any very small parts on the floor, as they may be extremely hard to track down.

It's unclear from the photos how you grip the drawers to pull them open.  Is that some kind of special push to open drawer slide hardware?   Is your desk anchored down somehow to keep it from overturning with all those drawers pulled out so far at once?  Also wondering how deep the desk is and just how long those drawers are, since it appears that you have those full extension slides.         

Thanks for the comment and the likes.

Dave - I am finding that i'm spending more time building now then before. By having this desk in the rec room I feel more included then isolated building in the the utility room. It's nice to be able to hangout with my wife and kids and still do your own thing. Plus it's nice to have natural light peek in too.  I do still have utility room space set up which i use for more of the dirtier work.  

The carpet does cause a problem. Last week I dropped a carriage wheel and it took me like 10 minutes to find it, lol.

I wasn't sure what to do with the top so I recently ordered a 24"X 36" self cutting mat. Should protect it some what.

Originally I was thinking of getting handles for the drawers but now i hate to drill holes in them. Another idea I thought was to router the ends, but not sure if its possible now. The way they open is to grab them on the edges and pull, no special hardware. They do open easily. 

The desk came in three pieces and each piece is quite heavy. The top is screwed to each end from underneath and its free standing. The top is 30" X 60" X 1 7/8" thick. And the drawers inside dimensions are 12 1/2" X 25 1/2" and vary in depth from 1 3/4" to 8" deep. The desk is super stable even with all the drawers fully open.

Jerry

On 3/26/2019 at 1:44 PM, Altduck said:

That's what they call the "Standard of Care" now

All I can say is, "WOW". She was in the hotel for for 3 nights, and they didn't let her go until 4pm. Being sick the week before, of course, depleted her nutrition. Then, after surgery she got an intestinal infection causing Diarrhea. Again, no protein intake for 5 more days - on Flagyl. Today, 19 days after surgery, she's sitting all day in her chair, walking to the corner and more each day and last night she spent the first night upstairs.

We're STILL waiting on the insurance company to approve P.T.!