Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

There seems to be a major trend in beds now to make them so high off the floor that one would need a step alongside the bed just to get up on it.  That’s all well and good for people who are tall or even average height, but short people (like the admiral who stands in at 5’-2”) have a very hard time with it.  Or, in my case being in a wheelchair and needing a transfer board just to get aboard, it’s a real pain in the you know what!

We had an adjustable frame bed with a tempur-pedic mattress that fit in that category of being too high.  By removing the wheels from the frame, it lopped off about three inches from that height, making access a little easier for a temporary fix, but the mattress unfortunately had also developed a very noticeable sag which made it very difficult for me to even roll over in it.

So, that put us in the market for a new bed.  My wheelchair has me sitting at about 18 inches off the floor, so we looked for a bed to match.  Well, that lead to our attempt to buck the major trend mentioned above.  Almost all of the new mattresses run about 14 to 16 inches by themselves, leaving only room for a frame of two to four inches!  Good luck with that!

We did finally manage to find an adjustable frame that was only 2 3/4 inches high (shown here)100_5443.thumb.JPG.92bf44310959354331239eaac38e51cf.JPG and a 15 inch thick mattress to go with it, so we thought we had it made with a total of 17 ¾ inches.  We shelled out a bit over three grand and had it delivered yesterday. 

There was one little factor that we didn’t account for however.  When using the transfer board for the first time, I found out that the mattress compressed about four or five inches, and while sliding across it made for a steep ramp downhill to get aboard.  While that in itself may not seem to be a bad thing, don’t forget that to transfer back to the chair it was now uphill!  What’s that saying about the best laid plans?

As the bed and frame were built to order and nonreturnable, it would seem to have left us in the lurch so to speak.  It’s a good thing that I have a somewhat MacGyverish (a popular TV show) mind set for innovative solutions to these kinds of problems.   As we are going back to the store where we bought it tomorrow to see what, if anything, is available, hopefully I won’t have to MacGyver it after all.

I finished organizing my new custom desk that i had the local Mennonite build for me. The desk is made out of wormy maple wood and all the plastic containers were bought at Dollarama. Surprising they fit quite well.   Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Jerry

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

13 hours ago, Aceman said:

I finished organizing my new custom desk that i had the local Mennonite build for me. The desk is made out of wormy maple wood and all the plastic containers were bought at Dollarama. Surprising they fit quite well.   Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Jerry

Now that is a splendid working desk. Designed so well for organizing as well as beautiful.

13 hours ago, Aceman said:

Hope you enjoy it.

Actually, I think that we all hope that you enjoy using it alot more than we enjoy just looking at it!  With that carpeted floor though, I'd hate to drop any very small parts on the floor, as they may be extremely hard to track down.

It's unclear from the photos how you grip the drawers to pull them open.  Is that some kind of special push to open drawer slide hardware?   Is your desk anchored down somehow to keep it from overturning with all those drawers pulled out so far at once?  Also wondering how deep the desk is and just how long those drawers are, since it appears that you have those full extension slides.         

Thanks for the comment and the likes.

Dave - I am finding that i'm spending more time building now then before. By having this desk in the rec room I feel more included then isolated building in the the utility room. It's nice to be able to hangout with my wife and kids and still do your own thing. Plus it's nice to have natural light peek in too.  I do still have utility room space set up which i use for more of the dirtier work.  

The carpet does cause a problem. Last week I dropped a carriage wheel and it took me like 10 minutes to find it, lol.

I wasn't sure what to do with the top so I recently ordered a 24"X 36" self cutting mat. Should protect it some what.

Originally I was thinking of getting handles for the drawers but now i hate to drill holes in them. Another idea I thought was to router the ends, but not sure if its possible now. The way they open is to grab them on the edges and pull, no special hardware. They do open easily. 

The desk came in three pieces and each piece is quite heavy. The top is screwed to each end from underneath and its free standing. The top is 30" X 60" X 1 7/8" thick. And the drawers inside dimensions are 12 1/2" X 25 1/2" and vary in depth from 1 3/4" to 8" deep. The desk is super stable even with all the drawers fully open.

Jerry

On 3/26/2019 at 1:44 PM, Altduck said:

That's what they call the "Standard of Care" now

All I can say is, "WOW". She was in the hotel for for 3 nights, and they didn't let her go until 4pm. Being sick the week before, of course, depleted her nutrition. Then, after surgery she got an intestinal infection causing Diarrhea. Again, no protein intake for 5 more days - on Flagyl. Today, 19 days after surgery, she's sitting all day in her chair, walking to the corner and more each day and last night she spent the first night upstairs.

We're STILL waiting on the insurance company to approve P.T.!

The last couple of days, I managed to fit in a little shop renovation time.

I installed a shelf over the workbench. I set it high, so that it would not block the overhead light too much, and also to give room for the masts on the ships. I re-purposed and old particle board shelf by ripping it down to 8” wide from 12”. The trim on the ends was already installed. All the trays and boxes on the workbench will go on the shelf, after the paint dries. I’m going to let it dry for a week, so I don’t risk the plastic trays reacting with the latex paint. I’ll later put a single florescent fixture under the shelf.

Workbench_02.thumb.JPG.95d768fc4fe33c266be77e0001763faa.JPG

Workbench_01.thumb.JPG.3b9b2ca8f6ef18f09fdbc5549b56ed14.JPG

I also put up a shelf on the opposite wall, to hold two antique water pumps I have.

Pumps_01.thumb.JPG.94b383594df148cfa406846cf29228d9.JPG

I need to take off the pumps and paint this shelf later, right now they are up there to get them out of the way. At that time, I’ll also, fabricate some permanent mounts for them. They presently are just screwed down, to keep them from being knocked off.

The one on the left is well weathered, and has a couple if cracked casting pieces, the cylinder cover, and the valve rocker. The piston does, however, move freely, or at least the piston rod does. At some point in the future, I may try rebuilding it.

Pumps_02.thumb.JPG.be08d6bdb34b1200af136e0df83a1223.JPG

The one on the right should be functional, at least the guy I bought it from said so. I’ll leave it as is, with a light cleaning planed for the future.

Pumps_03.thumb.JPG.a70d899dee3a7e31171418ba8f6a8d87.JPG

I also attached the table leaf to the side of the spray booth. I’m still pondering how I’ll support it in the up position. I have a couple of ideas for this, and just need to pick one.

1908603008_SprayBooth_01.thumb.JPG.a8b43c0f0e0fdf90b1aacd6fe6085061.JPG

Ron, while all this time spent now renovating your shop may just seem to take away time from building your projects,  your work on those projects will go much smoother when you finish.  That isn't saying that this will be your last renovation, (as I still find myself tweaking my shop) but for now you should be happy with the improvement. (for a while anyway). B)

1 minute ago, lmagna said:

AH

To be able to fall asleep in the front yard without a pillow or mattress anywhere to be found! The flexibility of youth! At least if his brothers try and take his four wheeler he will know about it.

The weather here today was absolutely beautiful. Stayed around 70 degrees and didn't get much warmer than that. Low humidity and brilliant sunshine. A glorious day.

I'm going to use a board with a tapered end that will fit into a horizontal board with an angled upper edge. The board will be hinged under the table. As the table is raised the and of the board will be slid into the horizontal one and lock the leaf in place.

Support.thumb.JPG.25066a0a487c797be180d3bccc2ed44f.JPG

In was able to get outside the front door and see that there is a world out there after all for the first time in a little over two weeks! Wore me out a little more than I expected but it was still a great couple of hours.

Back into my three room confinement for another six weeks, but who knows, with a few modifications maybe I can sneak out again :D

5 minutes ago, lmagna said:

In was able to get outside the front door and see that there is a world out there after all for the first time in a little over two weeks!

I am so glad to hear you are up and moving around again. That's remarkable considering what you've been through. You must be tougher than woodpecker lips. 😎

Be careful and don't do too much too soon. Slow and steady wins the race.

Posted (edited)

Thanks CD

Although the pain with this was bad at times, it was NOTHING compared to my last back surgery. On that I was wandering the house nightly, unable to sit, stand, lay, stay still or move without extreme pain. I was like a zombie, roaming the house in pain at 3am every night and most days. THAT kind of pain I NEVER want to experience again!

It was only a visit to the doctor to get about 35-45 staples removed and a boot fitted so no more showers with a garbage bag!:D The PT guy was there to help me up and down the stairs, (And give me a wedgie with one of those belt kind of things) so all was fairly safe. we had already practiced it a couple of other times on his other visits so we both kind of knew what was going to be needed.

At first he was not going to let me drive but I convinced him that having my wife drive to somewhere she had never been was FAR more dangerous than letting me drive the couple of miles. We could have ended up in Canada!:stunned: She had to drive me home two weeks ago from the hospital and I thought I was going to end up back there for an extended visit!:omg: When she is driving you may not be safe even in Florida! 

Edited by lmagna

Lou,

All seems to be going well, don't do any stupid macho I can do anything tricks (your to damn old). I'm assuming you didn't have to shoot the PT guy. 

Did placing the 45 on the end table like I suggested help?

Is Chewy becoming a therapy dog? If not keep more chicken on hand bribe the little devil.

Hang in there do what PT guy says until he causes pain then shoot him :pirate41:and get another PT guy there's plenty of them to go around.

John

4 hours ago, gjdale said:

I’m assuming your wife doesn’t read these pages Lou

How did you figure that one out Grant?:D 

But even that is only partly true to be honest. She is becoming all too aware about her driving. With me being unable to get out of the house she has had to start doing the grocery shopping by herself. She takes our 16 year old son, (adopted grandson) to help. I have been working with him on driving but he does not have a drivers license yet. Anyway when they went the other day a neighbor parked in the space we normally use and she had to try and parallel park in front of the house when she returned. She had to finally give up, and then our son tried and failed as well. So he called over another neighbor who was outside and they had him park the car for them.  My wife was very upset and embarrassed. To add insult to injury, the neighbor who had taken her parking space in front of our house came out from her house across the street at about that time and got into her car and drove off!

Nope, need to keep the guns locked up John. No need to frighten the natives too much. Besides he was helping me escape from my prison! I may have a different opinion when he spends his whole time making me move my leg and ankle here and there for a full hour twice a week!

Chewie is useless! all he does is jump up on my chest and trample all over me looking for crumbs of food I may have dropped while eating in my recliner or on the couch rather than at the table!

18 minutes ago, lmagna said:

She is becoming all too aware about her driving. 

Many years ago, I worked with a man who often made remarks about how poor his wife drove the car and how she literally destroyed new cars. I always thought he was exaggerating. Then one day I was traveling down a main thoroughfare, a one-way street with traffic lights at every intersection. The traffic lights were on a timed sequence, so that if you drove at the legal speed limit, you would catch every light on the green...it kept traffic moving smoothly. Driving in a lane to the left of me was a big, bright yellow Cadillac convertible. The woman driving it would gun the accelerator each time the light changed to green, squealing the tires as she pulled off. She would inevitably reach the next light too soon (driving above the speed limit) with the light being red, slam on the brakes screeching to a halt. The light would then turn green, she would repeat the same fast start-fast stop routine between every single intersection! It was funny in a way. The Cadillac had lots of dings and dents in it, way more than it should have had for a car as new as it was.

Well, by now you probably guessed it...it was indeed my friend's wife. All that time I thought he was exaggerating when in reality he was not. 😵

Posted (edited)

We talk about my wife's driving all the time around here. Sometimes she gets mad and sometimes she gets mad at herself. She just this minute left the house to get to a doctor appt about a mile away. One that I would have normally taken her to. She talked her girlfriend into doing it this time. Her last words in going out the door were "I didn't used to be afraid of driving places." I told her that that was a long time ago and that I used to hang out of the doors of helicopters yet now I am afraid of getting down four stairs that don't have a railing without crawling on all fours!

It is interesting that you use the racing to the light and stopping hard style of driving for your friend's wife. When we came back from the hospital, (The first time I have ridden with my wife driving in years) that is exactly how she drove! No squealing tires but my nerves were still pretty frayed by the time we got the few blocks to our home.

Edited by lmagna

Ron,

Before you lay out effort on

On 4/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, thibaultron said:

I’ll later put a single florescent fixture under the shelf.

it would be worth your while to investigate an LED alternative  =

they are much brighter, weigh almost nothing, use less wattage, much cooler, do not hum.

I would double the shelf width, and think about a raised lip.

LED is also a choice, it depends on what I find at the hardware store, in the size I'll need. I would prefer LED, but not if its 10s of dollars more. I'm just going to put a single 4 foot fl/LED fixture under the shelf, to light the back of the bench. A 4 foot four bulb flourecent fixture will be on the ceiling, with LED bulbs slated for the future. I was given 15 of these fixtures, and plan to use them through out the shop. As the bulbs go bad I'll replace them with LEDs

I choose the 8" width, as it matches the plastic cases I have. If I make it wider, it will just accomulate more stuff, I'm terrible about that.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:00 PM, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

We're STILL waiting on the insurance company to approve P.T.!

They hope by the time they get around to it, it won't be needed, so you won't need the money.  They are always looking for the cheapest way out, regardless of what would be best for you.  (Don't ask me how I know.)

8 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

They hope by the time they get around to it, it won't be needed,

She has her 1st appointment Friday. 3 and 1/2 week post op. However, it'll be 60 a week instead of 150. Different place and closer.

On another note and I consider this amazing... I knew we had great insurance, but our bill for the pathology was $30 and the anesthetist was $60. Insurance company said they doubted our portion of the hospital bill would be no more than 3K. I doubt that includes the surgery. Just the hotel bill. Like someone else said. They charge by the hour.

She's doing great by herself. She's been walking to the corner and back, maybe 50 yards, without her walker.

Too bad I can't send my PT guy over to you at least once a week!

He has been coming to the house twice a week since I got out of the hospital. At first we worked on being able to get out of the house so I could make it to my followup doctors appointments after the surgery, so the work and stuff seemed to have meaning. But now that we have done that it was boot camp time today. No rhyme or reason just work! By the time he was done I ended up having to take a nap for a couple of hours! He wants me to do the exercises three times a day and will be back next week to work me over again and expects me to do more!:stunned:

I think I need a place to hide!

6 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I think I need a place to hide!

You're just darned lucky you don't have my trainer. But I have not been injured, either. Seriously, I work out hard three times a week. Cross training - resistance training. I've got long endurance and good blood pressure for an old geezer. 

Our insurance provides free gym called "Sliver Sneakers" program. You should see the young people stare when I hit the speed bag and the heavy bag. 😃