Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Posted (edited)

I Have done much the same through Silver Sneakers since I turned 65 as like yours it was "Included" in my insurance program. Plus the local YMCA is only a couple of blocks away! But I am not of the Lance Armstrong type of mentality and only went once a week and only for a couple of hours. Mostly to the pool for some endurance work after getting a pulmonary embolism after my last back surgery. It gives me the workout I need without the back strain caused by jogging. 

I will probably go back after I am up and about again as I will have a lot to try to correct by that point no matter how hard I work at it here at home. It is virtually certain that the speed bag will NOT be included though! I was never any good at that thing, (It appears that I have no rhythm:( or coordination) and run as much risk of hurting myself as doing anything graceful!

It has only been about three weeks now and I was amazed at how fast a half hour of bending and lifting the bad leg combined with hopping around the house like a rabbit on the good leg and a walker took it's tole. Luckily his time is limited to an hour and a half so he left me alive!

Edited by lmagna

6 hours ago, lmagna said:

But I am not of the Lance Armstrong type of mentality and only went once a week and only for a couple of hours.

Forgive me, I mis-stated the facts. I do circuit training, not cross training. I don't even own a bicycle any longer.

The Lance Armstrong comment as a reference was referring more to the "No pain no gain" concept of endurance training rather than anything to do with bicycles. I have thought of getting a bicycle a few times, but unlike you we have seasons here and I'm afraid the stupid thing would just sit in the back yard rusting away. Stationary bikes bore me to tears!

My oldest son may have the right idea though. He trains for marathons and cycling is part of his training. He has a frame where he sets his bike making it into a stationary bike and has a large screen TV placed in front, where he can see major race courses all over the world. There is some kind of feedback system that feeds resistance to the wheels so that when he is looking at a hill on the screen his pedaling is harder, and when going downhill. easier.

The oddest thing for me is that just a couple of years ago I was wearing a pack and hiking the coast and parts of the Pacific Crest trail with a couple of friends. My mind still believes it can do stuff like that but then reality sets in. If I could still do stuff like that I would probably disappear into the backwoods and become part Sasquatch!:unsure:

On 4/18/2019 at 9:22 AM, lmagna said:

My mind still believes it can do stuff like that but then reality sets in.

I know just how you feel Lou!  Sometimes I have very vivid dreams in which I find myself still golfing and have suddenly discovered how to vastly improve my skills.:dancetl6:  But then  I wake up, and wonder what the %*&# happened! :default_wallbash: (I find that it usually happens after watching a good golf tournament on TV for some reason.) B)

Luckily it isn't dreams for me. It is just my brain that has not kept up with current events. Kind of like suddenly looking into a mirror and wondering who that old clunker in the picture is and where he came from? The worst I have done so far was to buy a couple of new somewhat expensive backpacks even after it was obvious to everyone else that I would probably never be able to use them. They are still sitting in my gear room with the tags still on them.

Even now, (Today) I was sitting here thinking that as soon as I can walk on my ankle again, I should load up and head out somewhere that has lots of rushing water and plenty of green trees with few people! (This house is REALLY getting to me) I am pretty certain that within a mile reality would kick in but as I am not in any pain now the less logical part of my mind refuses to face reality.

I have no idea what I would do if I had real dreams where I was actually doing all of these things. I think the disappointment when I woke up would break me. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2019 at 12:58 AM, lmagna said:

Although the pain with this was bad at times, it was NOTHING compared to my last back surgery.

Lou, 

We have talked many times about our surgeries, I was told they could do nothing else and I needed a cage low lumbar.

I did a lot of research and decided I would stay on meds because I still had to work (12 hours in a car and driving 85 to 250 miles a day was not fun. At times I would have to get the Boss to come outside and assist me in getting out of the vehicle. If I had a fusion I wouldn't be able to work.

I have 2 friends that had fusions, 2 years later they had to go back and redo the cage, it eroded the vertebrae above and below. They added metal to encompass the eroded lower and upper vertebrae. They are totally incapacitated and relay on morphine pumps and are totally mental and physical wrecks.

The thoracic and neck fusions have a good success rate lumbers are a disaster. I'll stay with my meds I am able to work and enjoy life to a point with albeit with some restrictions.

Edited by John Allen
addition

1 minute ago, James H said:

I just got my latest publication onto the cover of Model Airplane International. Out worldwide from next week (or thereabouts).

Outstanding. I'll find and buy a copy of that magazine.

Got my motorcycle ready for the season, and maybe even putting it up for sale. 2007 model with 9100 miles..... lol, hardly broken in. Cleaned the garage, donating a starter no-name drum kit. 

Sun is shining and it's a beautiful Easter Sunday. Having dinner with neighbors. 

Today I got my Kindle from Amazon. I've been reading since I was 7, and go through a book every 3 days on average. I found that on Amazon Prime I can download books for free, return them and get more. Like a library. Self publisher but great books. I once spent $120 in a month on books. I just spent $90 for the Kindle and what ever Prime costs. What a money saver!

I hesitated for several years, the wife asked every x-mas or birthday if I wanted one. I couldn't give up a paperback feel. Then I remembered the first time I hear a CD.

I was reluctant to switch to electronic books as well. Still kind of feel that way for many research books that have pictures, and some others. But for general reading I have fallen in love with my kindle Fire. It is only the first generation so it is pretty much limited to just reading, but it does that pretty well. I find that I can read in bed at night without disturbing my wife, (When I get back to the point where I can get back upstairs and sleep in my bed again). I can change the font size to make things a little easier to read with eyes that admittedly are not as good as they once were. A smaller advantage is that I can carry multiple books at the same time without the bulk or weight penalty. The only shortcoming is that it needs charging, but then it can run for quite some time on a single charge.

I suspect the new ones can do all this and more.

9 hours ago, lmagna said:

was reluctant to switch to electronic books as well.

Lou,

I too liked the printed page, my daughter and son in law kept belittling me for not using more electronic devices. (my argument was after many observations of families in restaurants, shopping, attending different events most of them had some form of electronics, no interaction with other family members and were for the most part zombie eyed. Well this last Christmas daughter gifted me a Kindle Fire 7, and an Amazon Fire Stick. A lot of free Apps. Can hook up tp PlayStation Vue on daughters account. 

I was able to cancel cable, and the amount of free entertainment was mind boggling. I got hooked on foreign movies some Russian films are excellent. Between Prime Video and Netflix and e-books you have all the entertainment you ever need.

Still have rules when we gather for family get togethers no cell phones, tablets, or gaming devices. Everyone sits together.B)

Mark, I  also prefer the old fashion style.

Specially when it comes to maritime. 

But I have started reading and listening to books to reduce my library of one-time reads. Listening to books are very satisfying while driving. 

I found that the Kindle greatly reduces eye strain.  The adjustable back-light and adjustable font and font size lets me read a lot more than I was doing as my eyes aged.  I have always been a prolific reader and accessing books from the digital branch of the public library has cut way done on book purchases - now limited to model related books. 

I wish I had the Kindle back when I was commuting to the Philippines monthly for 5 years.  My carry on was mostly books that would now all be carried in the Kindle.  I left many paperbacks in Manila and airports between here and there rather than carry them after being read.

Kurt

Posted (edited)

I have enough digitisation during the week at work not wanting to be swamped by it in private. I enjoy reading from paper, I can read as fast as I want to, not being bothered by exotic fonts and other disruptions. I hate most voices, whether for driving instructions or other means, especially the male versions. Somehow they seem to pick a stereotype I abhor. Listening to a book being read whilst driving? That's one way for certain to get a car accident, maybe that's why I like to drive alone, or have the passenger not talk to me! It's the same as with answering a cellphone when driving, you get tunnel vision

Edited by cog

There's good things for Kindle and lot of good reasons for having one.  I just don't do that much fiction any more.  If I did, I would probably have one now the market has settled down and they've made better (read as "bigger") ones.

On a similar note, I'm writing a book myself. I've had an idea for some 25 years and figured, I've read a few thousand books, how hard could it be? A neighbor is a 10th grade English lit teacher and is an avid reader. So far I have around 9,000 words - out of 80 to 100,000.

I gave her a MS Word copy and asked her to read it and tell me if I'm onto story telling, or should I remain retired. She said the book didn't explain what's going on. *MY* thoughts are to let the reader figure it out as the read, She said she wants details up front. She's adamant.

Anyone willing to take a few to look at a few chapters and tell me if my story is confusing as she claims? Don't worry. I won't pay you a bloody red cent.

Like Kurt I like the adjustable contrast and font size of the electronic books for casual reading. My kindle is the old 7", and while it is not really all that good for books with pictures, (Not the kind of reading I use it for anyway) it is the prefect size for just reading. I have never used it for audio books or much of anything else but reading. Not even sure if it will do all those things.

A few months ago I bought my wife one of the new Kindle Fire 10s. She uses hers for more of an entertainment device when traveling like John. It may work better for that stuff because of the larger screen but I find if awkward to hold when used as a book.

I have not done it in years as I don't spend all that many hours driving anymore but back in the day I would get audio books on tape, (That's dating me a little) or even better yet I found that there were radio stations that would play programs similar to the old radio shows when I was a kid. I found them much more enjoyable to listen to than music stations and they really made the miles pass by effortlessly. I didn't get drowsy or distracted at all. But then I had spent years listening to what was happening on the radio while looking into dark corners, driving and doing all the other things required for ten hours a night. Maybe I have been driving distracted for years and just didn't know it!:(

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, lmagna said:

I have not done it in years as I don't spend all that many hours driving anymore but back in the day I would get audio books on tape

I'm with Lou, I have a huge collection of audio tapes that run the gamut. When I was heavy into surveillance (WHICH IS EXTREMELY BORING)  my day went like this. A drive to B'ham, Huntsville, Biloxi, Tunica MS., Orlando FL. all over a tri-state area for a 2 or 3 day assignment sitting in the car for 8 to 12 hours the only thing that kept me focused were audio tapes and they kept me focused and did make the day go by a lot faster.

Between the above and taking a beating in small boats for 25 years I'm surprised I can still walk.

I still listen to my tapes when running errands I like the Richard Sharp series by Bernard Cornwell have played over and over waiting for tape to break or get garbled and draggy.:wacko:

Edited by John Allen

1 hour ago, John Allen said:

A drive to B'ham, Huntsville, Biloxi, Tunica MS., Orlando FL. all over a tri-state area for a 2 or 3 day assignment sitting in the car for 8 to 12 hours the only thing that kept me focused were audio tapes and they kept me focused and did make the day go by a lot faster.

I'll bet at least in Orlando, you had to keep that car running all day long to keep the A/C on. The heat inside a parked car in Florida is well over 100 degrees and will quickly wilt a person or an animal. I don't envy anyone who has to spend the entire day in a car...that's rough duty.

CDW,

Right on about heat. Not unusual to put 300,000 to 350,000 miles on a vehicle does not include engine idling time several hours when hot.

would average 3 compressors over life of a vehicle.

Many times felt like a crispy critter. 

Did enjoy winter.

Put the dowels into the slats of my rustic chair cover the screw holes just before the Danish Oiling ready for the Otford Village Show where we sell our stuff ( The Greenhill Woodworkers).  We’re just a bunch of hobbyists having a fun time. 

This one’s been a bit of a struggle the PHN from my shingles last year made it a bit painful cutting the tenons.

B889C536-87D1-4789-8BE0-126FE2E33781.jpeg

20 hours ago, Slowhand said:

Put the dowels into the slats of my rustic chair cover the screw holes just before the Danish Oiling ready for the Otford Village Show where we sell our stuff ( The Greenhill Woodworkers).  We’re just a bunch of hobbyists having a fun time. 

This one’s been a bit of a struggle the PHN from my shingles last year made it a bit painful cutting the tenons.

B889C536-87D1-4789-8BE0-126FE2E33781.jpeg

I like that ;)

On 4/23/2019 at 3:28 AM, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Anyone willing to take a few to look at a few chapters and tell me if my story is confusing as she claims? Don't worry. I won't pay you a bloody red cent.

I'm game. And the price sounds right (you know what they say about opinions...)

I can send a dropbox address of that is best for you.

Bruce