Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

22 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Craig

Are you raising your grand daughters as well?

My daughter, son in law, and three grandchildren live across the street from us. She's over here at our house as often as home, but their house is too small for them. She's at that age where she needs her own bedroom and she will have one here. She has been with us since she was born.

Gidday Mark.

Life certainly has a way of throwing crap at us in the most unexpected ways. Please do not apologise for feeling long-winded. On the one hand I am glad the dog has found someone she has bonded with very quickly and you are happy with her new home. On the other hand I am saddened by the dementia news. Dementia is a bugger of a thing. I believe it is hardest on the relatives. 

I sincerely hope you can find some solace in modelling or at least some distraction.

I wish you all the best.

Mark.

Today, I got my new MicroMark catalog.  On page 90 there is an ad for their new “Blockbuster” block shaper which appears to be the familiar spinning paddle inside of a can type.

Alongside there is a picture of six finished blocks implying that they were the product of the shaper but they look suspiciously like they came already shaped from Syren Ship Models!

Roger

This evening we leave for Titusville, where the boat is now on the hard.  Monday at 9AM is the scheduled splash.  Then we head down the ICW to Stuart where we enter the Okeechobee Waterway and cross the state.  Our plans are to be home no later than the following Monday night.  270 miles.  Locks.  Bridges.  It's going to be tough to pull that off in a week.

See you when we get back!

Dave, Your computer game post has brought back some good memories. I love that game! I too had all the extra courses and my favorite was Banff Springs. That was long time ago but I wish i still had that computer. Other games that I played a lot were adventure games; Secret of Monkey Island, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest... Ahhh Great times.

Jerry

That'd be awesome! Can you read a MS word document? PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

On 4/29/2019 at 3:49 PM, CDW said:

I spent this weekend tearing everything out of one of the bedrooms in our home. It had been occupied for 6 years straight and was literally packed with "stuff". When it became vacant, immediately started the cleanup and renovation process. 

Ripped out all the carpet and pad, removed the closet doors, scraped up all the vinyl flooring that was underneath the carpet and pad, patched all the screw and nail holes that were in the walls after the screws and nails were removed, removed a ceiling fan. Went shopping today for tile, thin set, and grout. Bought a couple of new ceiling fans and three gallons of paint. I'm giving myself a target date of 10 days maximum to finish the room, paint, fan, new tile flooring. Then I have to go shopping for new furniture. My grand daughter (14 years old) needs her own room as she currently shares one with her 9 year old sister. 

Not much modeling will be done for a couple of weeks.

Happy days....All the tile was laid today and will grout it all in tomorrow. The order for one bedroom renovation grew to two bedrooms renovated, so it was double the work and double the expenses. Actually, the 2nd bedroom is a little larger and a little more expensive due to more materials required. Thanks to my 2 sons who laid the tile, it all got done. We should have all the furniture moved back in one bedroom on Monday. My wife and I are worn out. Almost bit off more than we were ready to chew by adding a 2nd bedroom to do. 

Walker hopped into my kitchen to look for a snack this afternoon and found I had competition! I am not certain what it was on the snack pile by the window but I think he wanted ALL of it! He just hung there while I walker hopped back into the other room got my camera and walker hopped back! I think he may have been drooling at the KFC box that I think has about two of their inedible cinnamon biscuits that have probably become petrified because no one here wants them! He eventually gave up and went back to the trees in the back yard. I think I will put them out on the back fence for him tomorrow. Stuff like that rarely lasts long in our yard.

image.png.2a1d558c9f471514d2e2cd35e7482175.png

image.png.4e38bcf95438a0af3bcd84af684c1e2e.png

17 hours ago, CDW said:

Happy days....All the tile was laid today and will grout it all in tomorrow. The order for one bedroom renovation grew to two bedrooms renovated, so it was double the work and double the expenses. Actually, the 2nd bedroom is a little larger and a little more expensive due to more materials required. Thanks to my 2 sons who laid the tile, it all got done. We should have all the furniture moved back in one bedroom on Monday. My wife and I are worn out. Almost bit off more than we were ready to chew by adding a 2nd bedroom to do. 

Our boys grouted the new tiles today. Tomorrow will finish the quarter round trim around the bottoms of the baseboards, then move the furniture back in. Almost done! Hip hip hooray. Will be back to modeling again soon. 😎

picture1.thumb.jpg.25d3b5d6ba8207ec382484d87d523e28.jpgpicture2.thumb.jpg.f4f7da005c3a1c9c1ecbeb907075f158.jpgpicture4.thumb.jpg.9b5a566d9a151ed1627d9a0dc50bd149.jpgpicture5.thumb.jpg.d99629f49cac9109d9fa8c4efcbdf7bb.jpg

Quick work Craig but it still looks like very high quality work! It is hard to believe you guys did all that in such a short time. Don't the rooms look about twice as large when they don't have anything in them?

1 minute ago, lmagna said:

Quick work Craig but it still looks like very high quality work! It is hard to believe you guys did all that in such a short time. Don't the rooms look about twice as large when they don't have anything in them?

The son doing the trowel work in the photo is a professional swimming pool contractor. He does the finishes (called Marcite) and tile work inside the pools and on the decks. He does up to 3 pools per day when business is booming. He rarely misses a single day of work and even finishes them in the rain. They put heavy plastic over the pool with weights around the edge, then blow it up with high velocity fans which ends up acting like a tent to keep the rain off. Pretty ingenious and effective. So anyway, he is all business when it comes to tile work and somewhat a perfectionist even though home tile is not his area of expertise.

The admiral and I busted our butts getting those rooms prepped for the tile. So glad it will be over tomorrow. Our oldest daughter and her husband are flying down for Mother's Day, so the admiral was adamant about keeping a tight schedule so she can have everything in order when the eldest gets here.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

the admiral was adamant about keeping a tight schedule so she can have everything in order

I know what that is like. I keep trying to tell my wife that these people grew up with us and know very well what our house looks like on any given day. I might as well talk to the wall!:unsure:

3 hours ago, John Allen said:

Craig,

Looks great but you royally messed up, It's too nice you may find out more folks are going to move back.;)

Lol

Actually, our grandaughter is moving in. The 2nd room is our youngest daughter's room and she still lives at home going to college. 

We just got back from buying new furniture for the granddaughter's room and it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. So glad this is done and behind me now.

Some days (like now) I wonder, how many more days like this do I have left in the tank? Can't imagine doing this in my 70's or 80's, but who knows?

50 minutes ago, CDW said:

Can't imagine doing this in my 70's or 80's

You will find the ability when you need it. Not sure where it comes from but it appears. Great job,

Of course you know we will need more pictures after the furniture arrives. The project is not done until then!

On 5/1/2019 at 12:00 AM, Roger Pellett said:

Today, I got my new MicroMark catalog.  On page 90 there is an ad for their new “Blockbuster” block shaper which appears to be the familiar spinning paddle inside of a can type.

Alongside there is a picture of six finished blocks implying that they were the product of the shaper but they look suspiciously like they came already shaped from Syren Ship Models!

Roger

Indeed Micromark stole my photo from my website and is using them to falsely indicate that your blocks will look just like those.  Just throw in a few of those square .....mis-drilled european excuses for rigging blocks and .....presto .....change-o

Your blocks will look exactly like this.  My exact photo!!!   I guess they missed the business ethics class in college.

scale%20rigging%20blocks.jpg

22 hours ago, lmagna said:

You will find the ability when you need it. Not sure where it comes from but it appears. Great job,

Of course you know we will need more pictures after the furniture arrives. The project is not done until then!

Furniture delivered and set up, grandma is now putting everything else in place. Granddaughter will be home from school in a little while. Can't wait to see her face when she first sees her new bedroom all in place.

20190508_125249.thumb.jpg.9d2f2fa5bf282d5c14747a9e5639b336.jpg20190508_125304.thumb.jpg.7a8f26c94063024d94c2e40d3f99d443.jpg20190508_125318.thumb.jpg.63c2291ba41d810283608f815729ea82.jpg20190508_125337.thumb.jpg.0288f31934458d4a2fcc364171f685d5.jpg

Posted (edited)

She is going to think she died and went to heaven, especially when she closes the door and realizes EVERYTHING she can see is HERS! It could have been a space in the garage, (Like my first alone "Bedroom") and the feeling would have been the same but your solution is MUCH nicer. Should get you a couple of atta boys!

Edited by lmagna

3 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Should get you a couple of atta boys!

I'm not letting her bring her blue tongued skink, or her ball python. She is leaving those treasures with the one who thought it wise she should have them in the first place, and that ain't me. 

She is getting close to the age where she will want to replace the cold blooded critters with warm blooded ones anyway. Are you staying in practice with that Tupperware piece you are so fond of? I am SO GLAD I'm raising boys!

9 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Are you staying in practice with that Tupperware piece you are so fond of? 

Oh yes, practice practice practice. Practice makes perfect as it's been said before. 

I just received a nice package today from UPS with everything but one important part. The serialized part of it went through my local dealer who filled out all the necessary paperwork and assigned it to me yesterday. Now I have another little something to build. 🙂