Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Mowed the grass and weeded with the weed eater. String ran out on the weed eater. Need to buy a mount for the wall and hang a television in my granddaughter's room today. After I cook dinner, I might have some modeling time. 😵

I had the neighbor kid mow mine yesterday as it really needed it.  If I waited any longer it would turn into a good crop of hay!  Lately we have had one dry day followed by a week of rain which is repeated again and again all through the last two months.  It's really hard to keep up.  

This year we have been lucky. Normally in Spring watching the grass grow is an action sport, and if you let it grow more than a week you need too carry a weapon when venturing out into your yard to possibly protect yourself from the critters hiding in the deep grass! This year it has been much more mellow. I found someone who can mow mine as that is presently beyond my means, but I hate spending the money, especially if it starts growing like it normally does most years. 

I am exhausted! The 4 hour round trip to Spokane Wa and the Vasa Order of America meeting. Being Chairman takes a lot of energy,  specially with business meeting and initiation of new members. Fortunately we only initiations three times a year, 

Yesterday after mowing and weed eating, I thought I might get to spend some quality modeling time. No dice. 😕

Instead, I inherited this monstrosity of a television set and replaced the one in our family room with it.

20190518_203636.thumb.jpg.54eacbe3a82126bb721e70f1fe03dbac.jpg

Then the one from the family room went to my daughter's room to replace the one she had there. (weird the way that picture turned out)

20190518_203656.thumb.jpg.ac16dac4afa3693f61384e427edb7a24.jpg

And last but not least, my granddaughter now has a television in her room thanks to my daughter donating her old one.

The best part was, it didn't cost me anything but time. Goes to show where modeling hobby really fits into the bigger scheme of things. Everyone seems happy with the changes.

PS: today I changed my weed eater string, edged the driveway, finished weed eating, and blew it all into bags for the trash man come Tuesday. 

Maybe tonight some modeling time...pretty please with sugar on top...😄

20190518_203711.jpg

1 hour ago, CDW said:

finished weed eating

Don't they have decent restaurants where you live? I always knew the veggie people would take over eventually. I'm pretty much a meat and potato kind of guy myself! :D

We kind of did the TV thing backward. At Christmas time we bought our older grandson a 50 something or 60 something inch TV for his room and his hand-me-down went to out younger grandson upstairs in his room. We still have the old 32" in the living room!

20 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Don't they have decent restaurants where you live? I always knew the veggie people would take over eventually. I'm pretty much a meat and potato kind of guy myself! :D

Guess I'm just a Yule Gibbons sorta guy...got to have my daily roughage. 😕

Besides, it would be a shame to see all those weeds just rot and go to waste...or maybe not.

Just gather them all up in a bag and take them to your local Farmers Market and call them organic. You will have them sold in no time at double the price of what you can find in the store! And you won't have to eat a single one!:D

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Just gather them all up in a bag and take them to your local Farmers Market and call them organic. You will have them sold in no time at double the price of what you can find in the store! And you won't have to eat a single one!:D

😄

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Guess I'm just a Yule Gibbons sorta guy...got to have my daily roughage. 😕

Besides, it would be a shame to see all those weeds just rot and go to waste...or maybe not.

This is beginning to remind of a very bad old joke about him and a log eating contest.   I think I best get my coat before I get into trouble. coat_32.png.5a1e3bbebbbeaa658eda5e511899ac56.png

So what was the log eating contest one? I thought  I had heard every Euell Gibbons joke that was ever told, but I don'y recall that one.

Once when I worked gas and oil pipeline in West Virginia, someone had told me that buckeyes were good to eat. Working a job out in the sticks, I came upon some buckeyes, cracked one and began to eat it. One of those old WV country boys said, "did you just eat a buckeye?" I answered yes, and with the most serious look on his face, told me they were going to have to get me out of the woods and to a hospital, fast...that buckeyes were deadly poisonous. I got so scared, I darn near fell to my knees, then all of a sudden all those country boys began laughing at me like school kids. What a dirty joke to pull on someone, and I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Believe me, I am no Gibbons by any stretch of the imagination.

Heel surgery for my wife last Wednesday, all went well.

But that means I am to do everything...… do this, do that
However, today I got all the inside of the house clean up.... with everything that comes along.
Got the lawn mover out, got the "jungle", cut and trimmed all the edges.
Fixed a non-functional sprinkler (buried in the dirt, by one of the dogs).

Best part, cleaned the build table to get back to Bluenose!

1606136553_backagain.JPG.e7c02f137dd743bf0b14440efdc870d2.JPG

My dear friend Blue, I am now back at the table to get you finished!

4 hours ago, CDW said:

Once when I worked gas and oil pipeline in West Virginia, someone had told me that buckeyes were good to eat. Working a job out in the sticks, I came upon some buckeyes, cracked one and began to eat it. One of those old WV country boys said, "did you just eat a buckeye?" I answered yes, and with the most serious look on his face, told me they were going to have to get me out of the woods and to a hospital, fast...that buckeyes were deadly poisonous. I got so scared, I darn near fell to my knees, then all of a sudden all those country boys began laughing at me like school kids. What a dirty joke to pull on someone, and I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Believe me, I am no Gibbons by any stretch of the imagination.

People from Ohio are called "Buckeyes" and yes, I"m one.  The running joke was that a Buckeye is a "round, poisonous nut".  We often applied it to ourselves. :P

10 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Heel surgery for my wife last Wednesday, all went well.

What's all this stuff with foot problems lately? Hope she gets up and running again soon Per. Is it going to be a few weeks thing,:D or a few months thing?:( The hop/slide style of life gets old quickly!

I took my last pain pill last night, so in 24 hours it will be legal to drive again.  Whether I can actually stand the extra strain on my incisions or not will really be the determining factor as to when I can even get in the car. 

Our yearly physicals were set up way back in February for today, but as I can't drive yet, I had to cancel and reschedule mine for next month with a different doctor.  Due to some insurance restrictions, to get another one with our family doctor I would have had to wait until August!  One thing for sure, it looks like I need to figure out some way to allow me to get in and out of other vehicles without my lift for those occasions when I can't drive myself. (Since I'm sure that short ten minute ride the Ambulance is going to run me over a grand!)

7 minutes ago, BETAQDAVE said:

(Since I'm sure that short ten minute ride the Ambulance is going to run me over a grand!)

In our locality, there are two kinds of ambulance rides...one provided by the County Fire Dept, and one provided by a private contractor. Usually, Fire Rescue are first on the scene. I am wondering what if any cost differences there are between the two. I have been told ambulance rides are very expensive here as well.

When Fire Rescue ambulance from our city shows up to the 911 calls, they also send the firetruck and crew along with them.  Apparently it's SOP, since they don't know how difficult it will be to remove the victim from the scene until they get there.  There may be stairs or other obstacles to work around that would be beyond the capabilities of the just the two EMTs.   I guess that it's better to have too many hands available right away, rather than having to wait for more hands to call later.

5 minutes ago, BETAQDAVE said:

When Fire Rescue ambulance from our city shows up to the 911 calls, they also send the firetruck and crew along with them.  Apparently it's SOP, 

Yep, same here.

Dave,

Around here, there are Service organizations that can provide free or very inexpensive rides for Seniors and Handicapped to Dr's appointments, and they have vans with lifts if needed.  Maybe there's something like that where you live?  Check with AARP or your County or City.  

I used one for a few visits when I first got home from rehab for my spinal cord injury, until I learned to walk again.

Good Luck,

4 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Lou, it's gonna be three months without bearing any load on her right foot.

*sigh*

One suggestion from me would be to make sure she gets some kind of therapy for the rest of her, as unused body parts will quickly atrophy making it harder to readjust when she is allowed to use her foot again.  Don't ask me how I found this out!

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear about your added difficulties and concerns Dave. I of course have no idea what your insurance is and how your policy reads, (Heck I don't even know all of the fine print on my own policy!) but in my case they had to dispatch the local FD to get me off and down the remaining stairs, out the front door, and then down another two sets of stairs to the curb where I was transferred to an ambulance. The trip to the hospital was short, probably less than five minutes. At any rate I have received my bill from the hospital but have received nothing from other agencies including when my Physical Terrorist Made two special trips to my house to help me up and down my outside stairs so that I could make it to the doctor. I think that may be because of the emergence nature of the transportation on the day of the accident. Or possibly they are just not as fast in processing their bills as the hospital!

I had to do the same as you and cancel a scheduled visit that was required to our primary doctor as I had no way to get to the street, where I would have had a number of other options. (I am at last getting to that appointment tomorrow morning nine weeks later!)

What I wanted to bring up is that the Police and fire departments where I worked were required to transport People in emergency situations where they had no option. I contacted my local fire department and asked if this was still the case and the person I talked to said that he believed it was. For obvious reasons it is something that is not widely known, and may not even be available in your city but it could be worth a try. I ended up going another route but it was nice knowing it was available as plan B.

If you can get to the curb you could also check out Cabulance services. We have them here and I see them at the clinic all of the time.

Good luck, I hope you find a way.

Edited by lmagna

8 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Lou, it's gonna be three months without bearing any load on her right foot.

I agree with Dave. The more PT she can do the better. I m at the nine week mark right now with one more week to go before I see the surgeon again next Tuesday. I am of course not certain what he will say but I expect he will allow me to at least start putting some weight on it. 

While I have become better with the slide/hop traveling of the walker and can now go distances I could only dream of at first, my endurance is shot along with much of my lower leg muscle on my left side. I'm not certain what I could have done about the muscle as it was pretty well shot even when they took the cast off and gave me the boot a long time ago. But the endurance part is just plain pushing ones self until almost exhaustion and try and take five more steps. (Or slide hop!) 

Good luck it looks like you are going to have a long summer also!

Check around. Around here we have taxi types that deal only with medical patients.  They have vans with lifts if needed or regular cars.

Edit:  I see Richard has the same or similar thing in his area.  

Posted (edited)

Last night my wife and I attended the 31st annual Northeastern Book Awards held to recognize authors of books that represent Northeastern Minnesota’s history and culture.  I was pleased to receive the honorable mention award in the nonfiction category for my book Whaleback Ships and the American Steel Barge Company.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett