Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Mock up for the hinges:

I made a routing template for the Edson hinges and routed a little deeper for the epoxy. Then I placed the hinge on and drilled into the wood for the screw holes. I took that to the drill press and used a 1/4" Forstner bit to open up the holes to accept epoxy. After it was set I came back and routed out to the exact depth.
CpitTbl_017.jpg

I'm waiting for the epoxy to set before drilling the screw holes.
CpitTbl_015.jpg

Two steps and two different templates were required to rout out the wood to accept the hinges.
CpitTbl_016.jpg

Prior to applying epoxy I tested the strength of the screws by applying opposing pressure, as the wings might get when opened. I could feel some give. Hopefully the epoxy will strengthen that up enough.

Using epoxy full strength for the final epoxy coat left some streaks. West System epoxy is very different than other epoxies I've used. Rather than trying to fill the low spots I decided to take the high spots down with a card scraper. It's a tedious job I did on and off for over a week. But the card scraper worked pretty well and closed the epoxy chapter on this project.

Routing for the hinges made me really nervous. With so much time invested thus far, I didn't want to screw this up. But the first two came out okCpitTbl_018.jpg.89026d740bcf78777ccba5c09982e945.jpg

What looks like white spots are the remaining low spots after scraping. The Interlux poly should fill them.

Rather than drilling pilot holes and turning in the screws, I decided to tap the wood first. When I was turning in the screws in the test pieces there was a lot of resistance. I took one screw to the grinder and flattened two sides. It really made a difference.
CpitTbl_019.jpg.e6b99ca1a3202b5c2550b78c0b82dafd.jpg
Another thing I learned was the hinges were not all identical. So I marked the hinges with their respective locations.
CpitTbl_020.jpg.32c409e1d393c0a74084a4e729e2d2e4.jpg 

Posted (edited)

M wife and I have (almost) finished building in our back yard what in default of any other name we're calling a "summer house" (in the middle of winter down-under). Good for shade and barbies in summer and relaxing out of the weather in winter (oh, and we've put up a retractable washing line for those rainy days).

Framework in progress.

20190521_113307.thumb.jpg.2ea030ddc6eea7562d1c403f8b4f3d1b.jpg 20190521_113251.thumb.jpg.77fa3963742c76ac26b120fd6e7999e7.jpg 20190521_163525.thumb.jpg.c71800db232ccd7acba8b13c0c768e87.jpg 

Roof going on.

20190524_120824.thumb.jpg.33af7023221cf8149ed9374ebf2c088f.jpg

Supervisors.

20190619_142204.thumb.jpg.90013a7c658b5752e09fc74e755bdcb7.jpg

The leadlight windows were taken from the house when we renovated it, and now they've been recycled here.

20190706_085351.thumb.jpg.2fcd8ab6f77f8b0693ae804ab2c75775.jpg

Inside:

20190706_155215.thumb.jpg.2862c03ec79eb04130b695b2d911377a.jpg

This could explain the recent slow progress on the dromon model . . .  

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Looks like your cats will enjoy it. I love those windows, they really are beautiful. Where is the smoke stack for the barbie ...? I'm certain your wife and you will enjoy your "Vacation-Inn", well done

15 hours ago, cog said:

Looks like your cats will enjoy it. I love those windows, they really are beautiful. Where is the smoke stack for the barbie ...? I'm certain your wife and you will enjoy your "Vacation-Inn", well done

That's called a staycation

3 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

No need for a smokestack - we'll either have the barbie outside or open the double doors on 3 sides of the building - plenty of airflow. 

When you Aussies say "barbie" it always sounds like fun.  I'm in!

Mother Nature has mercifully blanketed us with Her cloud cover these past few days.  I remember the omnipresent clouds Chicago winters refused to let go and there were times the dark, dreary days dragged even the most hearty into the depths.  Florida is the antithesis of Chicago winter weather and at times the sun can fry you like a bug under a magnifying glass.  Thus my appreciation for Nature's gentile blanket.

Sunday we scrambled out for a quick sail.  In a normal world most sailors would have admitted it was a losing proposition.  The winds were light, the clouds were dark and dense.  But we cast off anyway.  And hurriedly.  My SO needed a sailing fix.  I get that.

Once out on open water it was apparent we were going to get some weather.  But the stubborn winds held back giving us only an occasional puff.  Then the winds started picking up.  Ahead of us was a wall of water falling from the sky.  To the east another dark wall formed.  We tacked toward an opening to the west and soon it too closed.  The storm was closing in on us from all sides... except one - the route back home. 

Erratic winds from every direction made it impossible to sail home so we cranked the iron jenny.  1500 RPM.  Nope, it's bearing down on us.  1800 RPM.  It's still gaining.  2200 RPM.  Maybe, just maybe, we might make it.

The storm closed in on us from the north, east and west but there was this window directly ahead of us as we motored down the channel, heading south.  It was weird.  Thunder was rumbling.  Lightning flashed in the distance.  We didn't want to be a statistic.  But here was this calm window beckoning us home. 

The wind began building as we approached our dock.  The rain started falling hard.  A loud boom came from behind us.  Then a bolt dropped from the sky so close I wondered how it missed us.  I reversed the engine to bring us to a stop in front of the dock and scrambled to tie her down, all the while getting a proper soaking.  At least the salt was washed away.

Then the storm vanished. 

Welcome to Florida.

12 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I'm glad you got back to the harbor and safely.  It doesn't sound like it was "fun" though there is a good feeling when you've outrun the weather and are safe.

Heavy weather doesn't bother me but lightning is a whole different animal.  I've read if you're inside the triangle of the stays and shrouds you're safe but I don't want to test that theory personally.

16 minutes ago, Julie Mo said:

Heavy weather doesn't bother me but lightning is a whole different animal.  I've read if you're inside the triangle of the stays and shrouds you're safe but I don't want to test that theory personally.

I am not sure you would be safe there Julie. Check out this video from South Boston of sailboat being hit by lightning

I've been in a sailboat when another sailboat (50 yards) away was hit by lightning. It was scary, that sound and the electricity plus ozone in the air afterwards, made us think twice about sailing under those conditions. 

Yes, we were sailing. No one got hurt... not even on the other boat, except for some ringing in the ears afterwards.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:36 PM, Jack12477 said:

I am not sure you would be safe there Julie. Check out this video from South Boston of sailboat being hit by lightning

I saw that!  Yikes! 

A couple of days ago I recorded that video and slowed it to 1/10 speed.  Here are some screen shots of that:

LightningStrike_01.jpg.6117acd29ed25d4ee653da3034b80dda.jpg

Notice the dock glowing

LightningStrike_02.jpg.9c332ba8f2fb15edbdd62cba0a5dc1e2.jpg

Several years ago there was an article and several letters In Woodenboat Magazine about grounding.  If my memory is correct there was no agreement whether grounding was effective or even advisable.  It would seem that if you are in a boat during a lightning storm, stay away from metal spars and rigging and hope for the best.

Roger

8 hours ago, cog said:

I don't think I like the fireworks Julie. I wonder, however, if that would have happend when at full sea, i.e. not being attached to a pier of some sort.

In my posting it happened during a sailing race. The sound is terrifying. 

23 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Several years ago there was an article and several letters In Woodenboat Magazine about grounding.  If my memory is correct there was no agreement whether grounding was effective or even advisable.  It would seem that if you are in a boat during a lightning storm, stay away from metal spars and rigging and hope for the best.

Roger

In the 35 years I worked as an electrician, the subject of grounding was discussed over and over.  The reason is no one can predict what happens to electrical current when it's not contained.  No wires.  No insulation.  No switchgear.  No distribution panels.  It just does what it will and every time we think we have it figured out, it proves us wrong. 

While working with 12.8kV I learned the importance of grounding the stray current and keeping the equipment clean.  Even dust can be a problem as the current tracks across it.  We were installing 15kV rated cabling and it had three layers of insulation plus an outer concentric wrap to ground out stray currents.  Imagine what a bolt of lightning needs to be contained.  One thing for sure, you'll never find a sailboat with that kind of cabling.  This is rated for 170kV.  Imagine this running down your mast.

936457608_hxchbmk-w1.jpg.f9617bd278b46b39e2f580b00293c6ae.jpg

Had lunch in the 'Bretonne Crêperie', a very old French creperie in the small Normandy market town of Damville. Our trip through Normandy has so far been great, even the massive mad detour including a complete circle courtesy of Google maps was 'entertaining'.

bistro.jpg

Back to the cockpit table...

I filled the hinge recessed with thickened epoxy and let that cure. Then went back with the router and jig to make them flush with the table. First round I used pencil marks to center the jig. It was a bit imperfect. This time I modified the jog by routing a V down the center and milling a piece so it would sit snug in the groove between the table and leaves. I also made the roundover to match the hinges.

This is the modified jig. If you look closely, you can see strips of veneer I inserted in the opening to make op for the oversized opening I made in round 1. I wanted room for the epoxy. Now the hings has to fit snugly.
CpitTbl_024.jpg.fe41b89387a09047dbf45ccd22f72a2d.jpg
Using a card scraper, I knocked the epoxy fill down so the hinge sits flush.
CpitTbl_021.jpg.6c8cfc326d6b46034fa2cfbfd4c40687.jpg
As you can see in this picture, this one was still a bit high on the left side. Back to the card scraper...
CpitTbl_022.jpg.4e14c5fd974c9ce15840c44dfba00d70.jpg
With all the hinges sitting properly, the top is ready for 2 part poly. The shiny streaks are low spots in the epoxy left over after running the card scraper over it. This should fill up with the poly.

CpitTbl_023.jpg.a1edf2d4c78b79dcfdccbf5b81c494f5.jpg
 After this I went back and touched up the bare spots with epoxy.

Today I bought an old Dremel table saw on Ebay. I'd like a Barnes saw, but it will be a year or so before I could buy one, so a Dremel it is. It should do what I need, which will mostly be cutting planking. I was concidering one of the Harbor Freight 4 inch ones, but the quality is so low, that I don't think I could make one useful.

The Dremel has good quality, and I think with a few mods it will be just what I need.

Ron, when you receive it could you post a picture of it and your evaluation, I am also in the market for a model saw but the Barnes is out of my budget not so much the money but at my age not sure that I can justify the purchase

Ed

10 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

I got the Dremel table saw today, I show pictures in the "What did I receive today" section.

I'll have I'll have to participate in that topic. I could tell about the black eye I got. The wife asked me to take her to a restaurant where we could see food made in front of us. So I took her to Subway.