Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

On 7/17/2019 at 4:36 PM, Julie Mo said:

spots with epoxy. 

I have never seen hinges like that before.

I stayed indoors all day because of the smoke from a fire 50 miles or so north of us and worked on my model.  I have a feeling I'll be staying in until either the wind changes direction or it rains.  Visibility was reported at the airport (about 1 mile from me) to be at times 100 feet and other times at 1/2 mile.  

I lost those a long time ago, Lou.   The air is clearing a bit as the winds have shifted some.   On the down side, the fire where the smoke is coming from has grown to 7,000 acres.  We're thinking of getting out of town for a bit, maybe head south and cut over to the California coast for a few days.   

We'll see.   We weren't intending to go that far south, just maybe 50 miles or so from the Oregon border.   Naturally, all plans are subject to change as I've learned over the years.

50 miles would put you around Weed.  That's an arm pit. Even more to get to the coast. Lake Shasta is pretty cool and full of water. Around 2 hours and change.

Klamath National Forrest has dozens of camp grounds.

Hit the rifle range today let loose about 150-200rds.I shot for the first time ever to be fired a Springfield Armory M1 carbine.The gun was built by Jerry Kuhnhausen a well known gunsmith back in the day since passed came out of his collection.Springfield Armory receiver the rest is of GI issued parts it's said that the forged receiver is as every bit as good as the GI maybe better just is was going to cost to much to produce so Mr.Kuhnhausen acquired a few and built them.I have an original M1 from WWII Inland also. I now head out to the shop and spray some clear on the Yukikaze and get her started for the wash ;) Kevin

Mount Shasta is very nice.  Use to camp out there many years ago. We just want a coast run this year.   We're still thinking the coast below Crescent City and maybe maximum to Eureka.  Getting from Medford to Crescent City is pretty easy and a beautiful drive.  We may change our minds and do the trip that's on my bucket list from Coos Bay to Crescent City as I've not seen that part of the Oregon coast yet.   Just sorting it all out.

2 hours ago, Clueless said:

I wasn't familiar with Crescent City.

Just south of the Oregon border and in California on Highway 101, the coast highway.   I'd take 199 from Grant's Pass (north of Oregon) to Crescent City.  

Posted (edited)

We are to have an exchange student the upcoming school year. Had a great first skype meeting ( 1.5 hours) with Simon and his family today.

It will be a great experience, now being the host family and not the exchange student.

This young man is coming Sweden (the country where I grew up), and no we couldn't select gender nor country.

What is funny is that he and his family lives 30 minutes commuting time from my old town in Sweden.

Edited by Nirvana

Union Pacific's Big Boy Steam locomotive is traveling the country in commemoration of the transcontinental railroad's 150th anniversary.  It has been on display a few miles from us for the last few days and today it resumed its trip west.  I was able to get a few pictures of it along the right of way.  Sorry that the pictures are a little blurry.  It was moving approx. 60 mph when it passed.

2146417359_BigBoy1a.thumb.jpg.fb9504f44f3e87559ef78919b4c5a440.jpg

1710197846_BigBoy2a.thumb.jpg.0980f97058438e8cce83cad2911b92cf.jpg

956262930_BigBoy3a.thumb.jpg.0425b15238eb6a949843a866c0161278.jpg

1389681900_BigBoy4a.thumb.jpg.815d1b5951d0e3c7c6353b0385f84a2c.jpg

160785837_BigBoy5a.thumb.jpg.57e29c8c7eb5b468df1021b4d91f4a91.jpg

Big Boy6a.jpg

Nice photos Toni. I got to see the other Big Boy at Steamtown Bellows Falls VT probably 40 years ago. I think it is now at Steamtown in PA now.  Impressive machine. Thanks for sharing.   

Thanks for posting this.

The Big Boy visited the Lake Superior Railroad Museum here in Duluth July 20&21 but I missed seeing it.  It headed South on Sunday evening, July 21st.  The museum has a Yellowstone but they do not operate it.

What is the purpose of the diesel unit?  Is the Big Boy actually operating or is it being helped by the diesel?

Roger

The diesel is insurance, like Jack said. The same on the two yellow tanks; extra water. Fill 'em from the nearest fire truck/water tender whenever they stop.

Nice classic 3/4 view shot of the Big Boy, Toni. Third shot down. And with the rods down. Perfect.

When the Big Boy left Duluth, according to our local paper it took on 55,000 gallons of water.  Come to think of it this is illegal as removing water from the Great Lakes watershed is prohibited by Federal law.

Roger

3 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Come to think of it this is illegal as removing water from the Great Lakes watershed is prohibited by Federal law.

Well, maybe you can sue them ... according to the American movies, a favourite pastime in the US

9 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

When the Big Boy left Duluth, according to our local paper it took on 55,000 gallons of water.  Come to think of it this is illegal as removing water from the Great Lakes watershed is prohibited by Federal law.

Roger

Guess all those Great Lakes cities that draw their water for drinking, bathing, cooking, fire fighting have to shut down the water intake plants ! :D 

On 7/10/2019 at 11:18 AM, Julie Mo said:

I've read if you're inside the triangle of the stays and shrouds you're safe but I don't want to test that theory personally.

Julie,

After 28 plus years on the water I have heard all the hints on what to do with lightning, they even said hang jumper cables from the mast over the side to form a proper ground hooey. Speaking from experience being on a properly thru hull grounded boat you hope for the best when hit. I always practiced when you see that black low to the water cloud rolling in from the north run like hell.

I was towing an idiot that had run out of gas, when I got hit. The hair on my arms and head stood straight up, blew out all forward cabin windows and fried electronics. I was wearing metal frame glasses that burned an impression around my eyes I looked like a racoon for 2 weeks. 

When I saw those yellow bolts I would head to the dock when I could, funny though thats when we got our worse rescue calls.:(

As Ken mentioned, the diesel is for insurance.  We also went to see it Saturday when it was on display.  Unfortunately, I forgot to bring a camera.  A few miles to the east of us a slow moving freighter passed a major viewing spot just as Big Boy went through.  Blocked the view for anyone on the north side of the tracks.

A number of years ago there was a proposal to ship water from the Great Lakes in tankers to Saudi Arabia.  There was also a proposal to build a pipeline to transport Great Lakes water to Arizona.  In response, the congressional delegations of the eight States bordering the Lakes sponsored legislation to prevent water removal.

The cities within the Lakes’ Watershed return the water that they use back to the Lakes so are unaffected.  There is a town in Southeastern Wisconsin that straddles the Lake Michigan/Mississippi watershed that was getting its water from Lake Michigan and a legal battle did ensue.

Roger

I did some googling on climate change and aquifers in regards to Rogers statement on water. 

Roger,

Sadly the next wars will be over water rights, aquifer is disappearing, and drying up due to climate change a good example is what you quoted on the lakes and keeping it at home at least someone was awake. The feuding from the west coast and plain states is getting worse cases are increasing in the courts as to who has the water rights individuals, manufacturing, or agriculture. 

The depletion of the aquifer represents a change in the water balance of the Great Plains region, as would the suggested impacts of global warming. (Water balance refers to all sources of moisture in the region; atmospheric, surface, and groundwater.) With a warming, soil moisture in the region would be reduced, as would rainfall. The Ogallala Aquifer, or High Plains Aquifer, is a vast yet shallow aquifer located beneath the Great Plains in the United States. One of the world's largest aquifers, it lies under about 174,000 mi² (450,000 km²) in portions of South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Texas.

Posted (edited)

The shoreline of Lake Ontario in Rochester NY eastward to Oswego NY is flooding homes and businesses   because the lake is at the highest levels in years. Thanks in part to all the snow and rain that has fallen in the midwest that drains into the western Great Lakes which eventually drains into Lake Ontario. Big big big controversy in that neck of the woods right now over the flooding - 2nd year in a row. I believe Toronto Canada is affected also.  I'll leave it at that ! Google it if you are interested.

Edited by Jack12477

5 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

The shoreline of Lake Ontario in Rochester NY eastward to Oswego NY is flooding because the lake is at the highest levels in years.

That is also the case in Lake Michigan right now.  We frequent Door County often now as we have had a small place in Egg Harbor since 2001.  About ten years or so ago the lake levels were at what the DNR called a "hundred year" high.  In many towns such as Ephraim, they were actually contemplating building dykes to keep the water off the roads and coastal areas.  Many piers and docks were raised to keep them above water.

Subsequently the levels steadily declined, to the point where the raised docks needed to have ramps built down to floating walkways just for people to get down to the water level and their boats.  Things were looking glum for awhile as water activities are one of the biggest tourist draws, so with the receding shoreline and water depth, they even had to dredge channels to allow the boats to reach the docks.

Fast forward to the current situation where the water levels have already exceeded the "hundred year" record levels and several docks and piers are awash already.  Once again, there is talk of dyke construction!  Boy, one hundred years have certainly passed quickly now haven't they?

There used to be an old ad promoting butter vs margarine.  The punch line was “it’s not nice to fool Mother Nature.”

Where we live, Lake Superior has the last word.  Presently the Lake is at a historic high.  Several years ago it was quite low and i’m sure it will return to that condition in a few years.  The city built a 3-1/2 mile lake shore walkway elevated 20ft above the lake.  Twice, violent northeastern storms have torn up large paved sections in the past couple of years.  The city can’t find the money to repair our streets but they keep plowing millions to fix it they apparently think that they can fool Mother Nature.

it’s all part of living near the lake.

Roger