Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:03 PM, Clueless said:

I have never seen hinges like that before.

They are made by Edson.  I bought some cheaper ones to start but they needed additional support to stay flat with the center section of the table.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:22 AM, John Allen said:

Julie,

After 28 plus years on the water I have heard all the hints on what to do with lightning, they even said hang jumper cables from the mast over the side to form a proper ground hooey. Speaking from experience being on a properly thru hull grounded boat you hope for the best when hit. I always practiced when you see that black low to the water cloud rolling in from the north run like hell.

I was towing an idiot that had run out of gas, when I got hit. The hair on my arms and head stood straight up, blew out all forward cabin windows and fried electronics. I was wearing metal frame glasses that burned an impression around my eyes I looked like a racoon for 2 weeks. 

When I saw those yellow bolts I would head to the dock when I could, funny though thats when we got our worse rescue calls.:(

The hair was standing on my head reading your story, John.  That's just downright scary!  The more I learned about electricity, the more I respected it.  But lightning?  It's so unpredictable.  Now that I'm living in the lightning capital (or at least state), I won't even go outside if there's lightning near.

Big Boy 4-8-8-4, came through town on it's way from Milwaukee to West Chicago.  Hanging out on the tracks was a popular place to be. 

656151305_013BigBoyEngineTinder4-8-8-4Rev22G7A9818.thumb.jpg.32560cc73916df8f0b812cac2c7408f8.jpg

We returned from a maritime vacation today Prince Edward Island , New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.  Lovely weather, people and culture (not to mention the fresh scallops, lobster, crab and cod). In Halifax saw the frigate HMCS Ville de Quebec and HMCS Kingston and toured the HNCS Sackville (the last corvette). 

2F73B915-1DF0-4DAD-8105-B19D81C53A87.jpeg

3BE6A966-D5F2-40A0-9C19-5F7E30EAB5B6.jpeg

C6539536-8949-4DB5-81B3-40815F7AE031.jpeg

5949783F-7807-4726-B7A9-BDEFEFDB77AE.jpeg

1F136E69-A6EC-4A58-AC0B-7523A7DCA790.jpeg

81194A02-67B1-49D1-9309-5144D288B6E2.jpeg

E935C30F-0FD3-4446-BF3E-E07E16359EC0.jpeg

AB73B4D1-B57B-4F5E-9FE6-0A48AC2AE77D.jpeg

3BF4FC64-55E8-441E-9544-42B9AE74AE53.jpeg

Just spent the last week with the Scouts on a 5 day whitewater kayaking and rafting high adventure trek.  The Summit Bechtel Reserve in West Virginia has an awesome program where you do the entire New River system both the upper and the lower while camping along the way. From class I to III in inflatable kayaks called “duckies” and then the lower class IV and V in rafts. 

The video is is not us but shows some of the fun at a class III hole called “surprise “ because you can’t see it coming.  Video

(if you cannot use the link you can search cluster duck whitewater and it is the first one that pops up)

Posted (edited)

This has been keeping me from the builds for a while. We got a driveway and carport put in on the other side of the house from the old driveway (which seems to have been made for cars only one person wide, and is going to be converted into garden). Here's the old driveway and you can see the new one off to the right. We also put in the front gates and built a retaining wall.

20190425_150631.thumb.jpg.ffbc23d9ae6c126bc248b1004eaecc7c.jpg

All good, until the guys excavating for the driveway found a hefty root just below the surface from the neighbour's enormous gum (eucalypt) tree, (which drops big branches into our property on a fairly regular basis - we had to fix that, too - the worst of the overhanging branches have now been removed).

So anyway, the guys said we couldn't cut the root in case it killed the tree, so instead of the driveway being lower than the house so rain run-off could run away from the house, it ended up higher, and we couldn't have a garden between the two.

20190404_142216.thumb.jpg.534b96fe559f3c83b67fcf7fdf5e02a3.jpg 20190416_134102.thumb.jpg.ace1ff0486306883967afa7baca7510d.jpg

New problem - what do we do with the grotty area between the house and the driveway/carport slab? We put in an agricultural drain to take the water run-off and decided to put in a deck, level with the side verandah, effectively widening the verandah, which was always too narrow. As part of the overall project we also put up a new side fence, and a front fence in line with the balustrade of the front verandah, with gates for the driveway, to stop the grandkids from running out onto the road. 

20190425_150609.thumb.jpg.290f60e9acd26e4e2e7fe534b0e418fc.jpg

Here's the deck:

20190716_171127.thumb.jpg.e4454f4f2f1cd7ce0e32b89135be066a.jpg 

And a "poop deck" level with the carport slab to walk around the front of the car under cover and step down to the verandah.

20190722_122531.thumb.jpg.783365558d58035e0f055b05fce6573e.jpg  

And a boxed seat between the driveway and the deck so people didn't trip getting out of the car.

20190729_171457.thumb.jpg.ef5c5a1fac6da7147761cc01c5f697fb.jpg 

creating a nice space for a table and chairs to sit out in the cool during summer and say hullo to the neighbours walking past.

20190808_144433.thumb.jpg.0cd096e4ee96a68d5bdfba4a31d9fc9b.jpg

A fairly large project, which has taken us months and months. Oh, and we also had to wait till the plumber came and redid the stormwater to incorporate the carport downpipes, and get the Council to reroute the stormwater pipe that ran to the street because the street tree had broken it so the water couldn't get away and ended up in our front yard. They had to get an arborist in because there was (another!) root which was in the way . . . more months and weeks of faffing around waiting for other people to do their thing . . .

Anyhow, that project is now finished, except for staining and painting, and we've made wooden planter boxes which go round the outside of the area to give us the feeling of being in a jungle clearing . . .

Next will be the front garden, which we'll be making nice and jungly, building stone retaining walls, etc. Then the other side of the house - got to build a timber ramp to get uphill to the kitchen door, and a timber walkway around the back of the house, and a pergola, and a porch . . . 

All good . . .

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Posted (edited)

Quite a change, Steven. Must have been a large person for the one person wide car. You could have had some garden between the house and the drive way by using for instance raised beds. Though, you can liven it up with large pots if you want plants. One thing which is strange, and struck me all of a sudden ... you didn't use staggered planks for the deck! Neither are the treenails visible!

Yes, official business, the worst kind to wait for. The street in our village had to be altered by them. First we had half a year of scraped asphalt, now we have liquid tar and gravel when it's over 22C. I've already thrown out one pair of shoes ... community service? Glad you can move on and enjoy the changes.

Edited by cog

When we moved to the Pittsburgh area in 1970, the main road by our development was being rebuilt and regraded. When we got there it was paved with tar and gravel, and stayed that way for about a year. Then they finally paved it. 3 months later they dug it up to put in new water lines, and repaved it. a couple months later they dug it up again, to put in new sewer lines, and repaved it again! While the lines were going in, they put down tar and gravel as they progressed, repaving when finished.

17 hours ago, cog said:

You could have had some garden between the house and the drive way by using for instance raised beds.

A possibility, but we decided having a wider verandah was a better option.

17 hours ago, cog said:

Though, you can liven it up with large pots if you want plants.

Which is exactly what we've done - we built  8 wooden planter boxes (you can see one in the second-last photo) and filled them with pot-plants which look tropical but can survive the frigid Ballarat winters - it's a jungle out there!

17 hours ago, cog said:

you didn't use staggered planks for the deck!

Not on the decking - it was bought in prefabricated modules and we just put them together. We figured it cost about the same as scratch-building and involved much less work. Note, however, the decking shifts in the seat/box in the last picture! 

Regarding the tar, both Cog and Ron - I feel your pain . . .

Steven

Just as well we did it when we did. The next day we had the first of three days of torrential rain and hail which kept us indoors. And today it snowed on the outskirts of Ballarat (we went for a drive to see the snow and about 50 km out we were turned back by the police because the roads were impassible.

Steven

Well, there are plenty of roos in rural Australia (we see them every now and then when we go for a drive); they stay away from cities and suburbs (unless there's a lot of bushland, as there was when we were living about 22 km from Melbourne, there was a local mob living in the bush near us).

We get snow in the high country every winter - there's quite a bit of skiing goes on if that's what you're into. We don't get snow in Ballarat every year, but in the 7 or so years we've lived here, this is about the 4th time I've seen it, and it was heavier this time than I've ever seen it here.

Steven

Well, I learned that heavy wall clocks need to be mounted with something more than a nail! I was sleeping on the couch (I wasn't in trouble, I tend to roll out of bed) and about 1AM the cats bounced off the the clock which fell and bounced off my face!

Clock_Face_02.thumb.JPG.653478af0c691a01590f1d4f661a8f31.JPG

So I was at the ER at 1:30AM. No permanent damage, but my eye looks like I lost to Mr. Ali!

Clock_Face.thumb.JPG.c7c0a77baf504fef18b1b40702830378.JPG

Better look like you lost from Ali, than loosing your eye! You know when you have cats you need to have things hung catproof! They walk on walls, so no matter how high ... fixate!!!

Take care

On 8/13/2019 at 3:20 PM, cog said:

The image doesn't look very real

I agree! Somehow I never put Australia and snow together, and seeing Kangaroos hopping along in the white stuff seems like something right out of Alice and Wonderland!:blink:

So,I started on one of two need modeling cabinets that I am making for the office area of the shop.The cabinets are being made out of red oak like the wall cabinet is now pics below.The cabinets will measure 34"HX22"DX48"L with glass shelves and mirror back with lighting.The work involved in the shop today was planing the 5/4 to 1'thickness cutting to 34"X3" four pieces then four pieces 34"X2" with appropriate biscut cuts these make the corners 3"X3"(that's one clamped up).The 4/4 was plane down to 3/4" thickness and will be panels on the sides and back.The work station has a built in vacuum system which I hardly use anymore then you see the wood supply wall mostly 75% from outside the US mainly Africa and to the L of that is a memorial to my older brother Gary passed 4yrs ago some ashes and picc and a Harley scarf.The table with the bench press is my reloading station got a little 6" planer/joiner I still have not mastered down below.The last station is the planer station 13" Dewalt har har har Nice machine.I have two a/c's in the shop 13000 BTU in the office and 5000 BTU in the shop it's been 110' heat index outside and my shop is 68' just now colder than the house.I built the whole kitten kaboodle after Katrina(some recycled wood in there) took me about three years on the shop itself.

cabinet 005.JPG

cabinet 001.JPG

cabinet 002.JPG

cabinet 003.JPG

cabinet 004.JPG

cabinet 006.JPG

cabinet 007.JPG

Posted (edited)

So I got the L/side of cabinet one assembled today about 4/5hrs of work could of shaved off an hour but I cut one of the panels 1/32' shy.I remember that I had some 3/4'W oak veneer and I wala ironed that that sucker on to the end to take up the gap.I p/u two more boards which should get me well into cabinet #2.The panels themselves float.

cabinet 001.JPG

cabinet 003.JPG

Edited by Javlin

Just finished putting the hooks on this frame.  I had a piece of plexi left over from one of the kids projects and wanted to frame up one of these plans so 7$ at Lowes got me the trim and the rest from around the house got me here.  Was kinda interesting using the Byrnes table saw to cut the corners.  

IMG_0797.jpg.851e47a6b12b1be0140b1dd2d99dd611.jpg

you may remember a long you may remember a long time ago, part of my Landscaping was destroyed by a contractor that took 8 months to add on one bedroom and bath to my neighbor's house.

I finally I finally had my day in court, and I won. The judge awarded me $1,800 including 100 for court costs and fees. It was an open and shut case... Seeing as the guy never showed up.

the the judge tells me that I get to drive 40 miles to the downtown of the nearest city, to the Sheriff's Department, to talk to someone about my options. Why I can't call I don't know.

First option, garnishes wages. No wages, he's a contractor. Take his taxes. He probably pays in. Not that he would be honest. No here's one I like, I can request the court to demand him to show income of every sort to show why he didn't pay. If he doesn't show up for that hearing, they will swear out a warrant for his arrest.

I I called a local attorney and offered $100 to call the guy and scare the crap out of him. 4 days later I had a check for $1,800.

I I called a local attorney and offered $100 to call the guy and scare the crap out of him. 4 days later I had a check for $1,800.

A $100 Lawyer in Cali?  :D you broke the Bank glad you got it done ;) Kevin