Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

This past weekend I attended the Biennial convention with Vasa Order of America. This took place in Mt. Vernon in Washington. Next one will happen in two years. These conventions are to establish new board. Some offices needs to be replaced depending on their cycle time. Lots of work but also productive.  Two pleasant evenings with various social events. 

What did I do today?...…….had an awesome day!

Timing is everything when it comes to the "Leaf Peeping" time of the year in New England.

If you go early enough, there are no crowds, none. It was perfect! There is some color in the trees, but not as much in a few more weeks, but enough.

Today, we made a trip to the Von Trapp Beer Hall and Brewery in Stowe Vermont.

Yes, the same Von Trapp family from The Sound of Music. They settled up here decades ago.

Had an awesome lunch!

IMG_2134.thumb.JPG.6c06abbf43c85d44b40e4d38c6ba81a0.JPG

Afterwards we headed to the "Toll Road" of the Stowe Mt Ski Resort.

It's a road that you can drive up the mountain. Just shy from the top.

IMG_2139.thumb.JPG.6b6d027b7bb60b408d557f9a7ad642a5.JPG

New Hampshire may be called "The Granite State", but more granite is taken from Vermont than New Hampshire. 

IMG_2136.thumb.JPG.61a35872b65dba2e2737fad64e89dbe9.JPG

IMG_2142.thumb.JPG.82b13508e76f2a93016b52c63f5d33af.JPG

IMG_2143.thumb.JPG.96cfad94d8f998df7f24c88644f8a73f.JPG

IMG_2144.thumb.JPG.2b80fbf9b9ee08dbc6572d5ab434b62f.JPG

Today was unusually warm, so there was a haze over the mountains all day.

It was 15 degrees cooler at the top of the mountain than at the base. Felt great!

IMG_2145.thumb.JPG.3253a1ea8b65b8e5a41814772c916731.JPG

If you look at the below map, If you can make it out. There's a yellow dotted line on the very left edge, near the white ski trails.

That's the Toll Road.

It doesn't go all the way around the mountain, it ends at the first peak in the middle of the map. 

IMG_2146.thumb.JPG.b85d15fd0434da0ab22fb9f39f26416a.JPG

The Fall colors are out there, but it's still early.

In a few weeks, this entire valley will be all red, orange and yellow. 

IMG_2148.thumb.JPG.1c195abc582d54ae10306f975841ad20.JPG

IMG_2149.thumb.JPG.0e30051a22d78aa0eafa12b095ff04ac.JPG

The below pic is looking down the entrance of a Double Black Diamond ski trail, experts only!

My knees hurt just looking down it.

They must still be looking for skiers from last winter!!!!!

IMG_2150.thumb.JPG.b41cc0da84e771783243ba738a60fad7.JPG

Bought my self one souvenir from the Von Trapp Beer Hall.

I cant wait to see how many beers this can hold!

Das Boot!

IMG_2153.thumb.JPG.63c3aa2339765cb504d044a138d2e16d.JPG

Prost! :cheers:

Tom E 

Some Pretty Country!! all we have is oak trees,pine and cedar.Now if you look south the view is better to the GOM but Horn Island is untouched for the most part and the Forrest Rangers keep it that way Golden Eagles roost at the top of old dead trees quite a sight.  ;) Kevin

Edited by Javlin

We will also be going through the change here in the Pacific Northwest in a few weeks. It varies a little depending on the rain but like your area it is pretty impressive. We may retain a little more green though because I think we have a little more evergreens in our forest than where you are.

As for the Von Trapp's, You have to remember that Georg Von Trapp was a WWI captain of a Imperial Austro-Hungarian Navy U-boat, the SM U-5, so you can write off your meal as research! :rolleyes: 

Yep, leaf peeper season is beginning down here in the Smokies. Hotel rooms are at a premium for visitors. We're hoping for more vivid colors this year. The past few years were drabber, due in part to the excessive rain we got. This year is much closer to normal.

Trees are in quite a bad shape here due to last year's draught, and this year's heatwaves. Besides that, farmers have been draining water from the water table. A lot of the trees have a sickly green-greyish foilage, many have dead branches, and it seems the autumn colours on this side of the country aren't coming through. A few days ago I was in France (Dordogne) and they just got the first rain since last April/May - just hope I didn't take it with me on my way up North for I drove through some hughe showers 

Saw this ex-Soviet Union 'Dolphin' in Greece, serving the Limenas- Kavalla route. I rode (flew?) on the same one a few years ago, interesting experience. 

They are smokey, often running at half throttle on front planes only, but apparently have a perfect safety record on this route. 

20190922_150107.jpg

20190922_150023.jpg

20190922_145752.jpg

On 9/24/2019 at 4:32 AM, Canute said:

leaf peeper season

Love the term Ken! I'm going to steal it if I can remember. We used to drive the leaf peeper route once or even twice a year ourselves but haven't done it for a few years.  Even better, I used to take a late season hike/camping this time of year as well. But that is obviously out of the question for the foreseeable future, if not forever. 

I've never heard the "leaf peeper" name before.  As kid they were call "rubber neckers".  Never watching the road but always looking out the side windows.. both sides of the car, thus the name.

Rubber neckers are the folks in the opposite lane slowing down and gawking at whatever happened on your side of the road, at least for somebody from the NYC metro area. ;)

We also have daisy pickers, folks who stop along a scenic roadway and attempt to pick pretty flowers. They are close kin of the leaf peepers. The Blue Ridge Parkway is near me and that road , a 2 lane meander through some very pretty mountainous areas from Virginia, through to Georgia, gets overloaded with folks wanting to see the trees turn colors and maybe get a picture of an elk or black bear. Hotels in our area are at a premium into November. And right now, folks who track the fall colors say we will have a drab fall, due to a lack of recent rains. Like "Dem Bums" (Brooklyn Dodgers) used to say, "Wait till next year".

In our area the "daisy pickers" are "Tulip chroniclers" in the few weeks each year when the tulip fields bloom they line the two lane back roads for miles taking pictures!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g58622-d2148678-Reviews-Tulip_Town-Mount_Vernon_Washington.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=314058708

2 hours ago, Nirvana said:

I am in the dark for sure...

Every year Per. You almost have to hit the fields on the right day because they cultivate them pretty quickly to get them to market. There is really only one other time where the fields are just as pretty. On parts of the year the cranes and Snow geese fly in and fill the fields almost as full as they are when the flowers are in bloom.

Image result for crane flocks in skagit valley

I have only caught it a couple of times over the years but it is hard to keep your eyes on the road.

Another thing I love seeing is the killer whales when they follow the ferry, I have seen that only twice in probably almost thirty years. But I get to see the Bald Eagles in the trees and sky over my house almost every year.

2 hours ago, cog said:

makes me feel like I'm in Holland

I suspect it is very similar in many ways Carl. The whole Skagit Valley is pretty much at sea level and flat for miles. As you can see in the pictures it is also not heavily populated. Very much a farming and ranching community. It does flood every few years though. If you look at some of the pictures below the link i posted you will even see a windmill. I don't think it is real like yours but it is a nice touch.

Our 17 year old Granddaughter came out from St Louis for a week. We took her to Monterey Bay where we had dinner at a nice restaurant. She peruses all the menus and asks, "What's Don Perignon?" She then proceeds to order Fillet and grilled Lobster. I think her boyfriend's going to need a better job.

At least 2 shelves left to go yet! 

the piano came with the wife, it’s over 100years old and no I can’t play it. 

ive got to finish there planes now, and I’m awaiting Trumpy’s new CV1

I am really glad to see you pick that up Greg I cringed when I seen them out in the open such Nice work getting dusty.When I built mine I made the doors really tight and dust still shows enough so a once a year cleaning;positive pressure from a computer fan could fix the problem just lazy.

Edited by Javlin

11 hours ago, RGL said:

the piano came with the wife, it’s over 100years old and no I can’t play it. 

I feel better now. I also have an old piano that I can't play, (In our case, from my wife's grandmother who died at 102) I have no idea how old it is but my wife says she remembers it from early in her childhood. We are not 100 years old but we are closer than we used to be so it has to be quite old. So it just sits there and collects dust and takes up room in the parlor, along with a bunch of other Elizabethan style furniture that we rarely use.

I am certain that your wife is not 100 either as she looks like a very pretty young woman in the picture on the piano. Looks like you married above your means. I know I did. 

Sigh, there is a curve in the case to accommodate the yard arms, and as such the Perspex refracts the picture. It took my 14 yo and I 2 hours to build the bookcase which comes from your neck of the woods