Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Patrick,

I know how hard it can be. I once had an order to make a CMS (website), which should have been paid in full, unfortunately the *@#$%^& only paid half. So I put a debt collector on it. He collected allright, but vanished with my and other peoples money. Running your own business isn't easy, and sometimes it  is just plain frustrating. On the other hand, I have had customers which paid well in time, and which were great to work with. It seems that the first years will be the hardest as you do not have the reserves to deal with slow paying "customers".

Posted (edited)

Last spring my neighbor had a bed and bath added onto his house. Took the contractor 7 months! While digging a trench for the plumbing they dumped all the dirt onto my landscaped yard. They then ruined my cobblestone boarder, stomped 2 bushes to death and destroyed all the lighting. The contractor promised to fix it. When the project was done I thought my yard would be fixed. 1 week, no word from the contractor.

Called and was told they'd be there the following week. No show. Called, and was told next week. No show. Again the next week and no show. Called and told him he had 30 days or I'd get someone else to do it and send him the bill. Asked me why I was being such a dick since no one could see that part of my yard. (I CAN!) Call me a dick?! I told him to stay off my property, that I'd get it done and send the bill. He said he wouldn't pay it. Told him I'd take him to small claims court. He said go for it.

Drafted a letter to him, included photo's and quotes from 3 landscaping contractors demanding payment within 30 days. Sent it registered mail. Sent a copy to the State licensing board. Quotes 1 and 3 were $2100 and $5050 respectively. Both quotes were written on the spot. The 2nd quote was for $2550. Contractor asked me to get prices on the lights and broke the quote down by project so I could see what each part would cost. I went with the 2nd quote. Got it via email. State talked to the neighbors contractor and he offered me $250.

Went to the County arbitrator who sent a letter to the contractor who ignored it. Arbitrator told me to get the work done before suing. Got it done. Went to the County web site, downloaded a bunch or forms, filled them out and drove 50 minutes to the small claims court and filed my lawsuit. $60.

TODAY - I went to another City 40 minutes away to the sheriff's in Downtown Modesto. $40 to get a sheriff to serve the contractor. But wait, there's more! Cash or check only. The County sheriff doesn't take debit or credit cards. Civil servant says there's a bank a few block over there - pointing behind her. I ask for the corner street names and she says she doesn't know. I'm guessing she takes a lot of crap and has decided to be a civil servent-less. Says, down 11th street.

So here I am in a downtown that's nothing but clothes for sale, lawyers and restaurants. My car is a quarter mile away because all the streets are marked police only. I start walking down 11th st, 3 blocks... Getting madder each step. Screw it, walked back to the car and went home. Visiting my neighbor today, a 93 year old WWII vet, I told him about it. He immediately Asks my why I didn't ask google. He's obsessed with google.

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind
Poor grammar.

12 minutes ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Wife gets her hip replaced Monday. She's stoked and so am I. Bone on bone. I hate seeing her in so much pain. I take her shoes off, I help her to bed, I lift her leg into/out of the car when we have to go to the Dr's...etc.

I hope the best for your wife's prospects for the new hip. Both my brother and a niece have had it done. My brother had a quick, solid recovery. The niece had a tougher recovery. Maybe she was less tolerant to pain, or exercised less, or ??? 

Both are doing very well over a year later.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Thanks. Her Dr. thinks she'll be back to work in 3 weeks. I'm not so sure, we're both overweight.

Exercise is a key element for a quick and successful recovery. The pain subsides with each exercise over time, but it's critical she is strict with the regimen prescribed.

Edited by CDW
spelling error

I wish your wife well. Wife things are harder to bear than stuff going on with ourselves.

After three back surgeries and another one or two possibly in the future, and the doctors saying that I MAY need hip surgery as well I think I may know what she is going through with the pain part at least. But all the doctors say that hip surgery is nothing like back surgery and almost everyone is up and getting around again in no time.

Be careful though, she may still fake it and continue to make you do all the work just like you have been!^_^

9 hours ago, cog said:

Patrick,

I know how hard it can be. I once had an order to make a CMS (website), which should have been paid in full, unfortunately the *@#$%^& only paid half. So I put a debt collector on it. He collected allright, but vanished with my and other peoples money. Running your own business isn't easy, and sometimes it  is just plain frustrating. On the other hand, I have had customers which paid well in time, and which were great to work with. It seems that the first years will be the hardest as you do not have the reserves to deal with slow paying "customers".

Hi Carl

Am I reading your story correctly? Did your Debt Collector take off with your money, as well as others?  Oh my Lord.  The nerve of some people.  I can only hope that karma has caught up with him and given him his just deserts!

Having said that, yes, you’re absolutely right, running your own business can be frustrating, but it’s a choice we’ve made, I guess.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It helps me to put things back into a more positive perspective.

Cheers

Patrick

Patrick,

As a fellow small business owner, I feel for you. Cash flow is king for us and it doesn’t take a lot to stretch our reserves. Add to that the fact that owning your own business is a recipe for slavery.... Still, it has all the advantages and freedoms that no other job can offer. I hope you can weather this little storm and get back into clam waters and smooth sailing soon.

2 hours ago, gjdale said:

Patrick,

As a fellow small business owner, I feel for you. Cash flow is king for us and it doesn’t take a lot to stretch our reserves. Add to that the fact that owning your own business is a recipe for slavery.... Still, it has all the advantages and freedoms that no other job can offer. I hope you can weather this little storm and get back into clam waters and smooth sailing soon.

Many thanks, Grant

You know, up until last night when I fell into the 'abyss', I had always blindly, in fact religiously, held the belief that being self-employed was the best thing for me.  The lifestyle, the flexibility, the freedom, etc just couldn't be beat.  However, as you've said, cash flow is king!  And...I need to bear that in mind.

I'm already starting to feel better now; especially with the wise words shared by all of you on MSW so far.

It means a lot to me.

Enjoy your weekend!

Cheers

Patrick

15 hours ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Told him I'd take him to small claims court. He said go for it.

Had experience with small claims court concerning house plans I had drawn up for a client where the judge decided in my favor.  The judge did bill the other guy for the court costs, but he also cut my claim in half.  So even if you are in the right, don't expect to get all you are due.  (I guess I should have asked for more, but I thought being honest would actually get me somewhere.)

May have better results calling the Better Business Bureau.  I took my car in for service once where dealer mechanics damaged the front fender.  When I called the following day they denied responsibility.  I called the BBB right away and within an hour got a call from the dealer to bring the car in for no charge repair.  Of course, that only works if the contractor even cares about protecting his good reputation.  Unfortunately this guy doesn't sound like he has one to protect.  :angry:

Couldn't find him on the BBB. I hope I don't get half. The quote was for $2500 but I got it done for $1700 and that's what I'm suing for. It was cheaper to replace all lights with solar than to replace half with the original. Had to settle for smaller bushes too. They were out of stock for anything bigger than a 10 gallon.

That's very kind of you, Patrick.  As for that full-size boat, we're taking a deep look into her Sunday.  If all goes well there could be something floating at our dock in a week or so.  And not just a coconut passing by.

1 hour ago, Julie Mo said:

That's very kind of you, Patrick.  As for that full-size boat, we're taking a deep look into her Sunday.  If all goes well there could be something floating at our dock in a week or so.  And not just a coconut passing by.

Woohoo Julie!

Good luck. We’re looking forward to the pictures. 

Cheers

Patrick

3 hours ago, Julie Mo said:

If all goes well there could be something floating at our dock in a week or so

Congratulations does that mean you are going to throw a tailgate............... No I guess that would be a dock side or cockpit party, and invite everyone while providing an open bar and endless Bar-B-Que?

Well I guess we will just have to settle for pictures. LOT'S OF PICTURES!:D

The first party we'll need to have is the boat renaming ceremony.  It involves calling upon Poseidon, an old silver dollar, bottles of champagne for christening, red wine for blessing, ship's bell for ringing and lots of rum. 

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel...

FWIW, this is not an option.  The Gods must be appeased!

3 minutes ago, Julie Mo said:

The first party we'll need to have is the boat renaming ceremony.  It involves calling upon Poseidon, an old silver dollar, bottles of champagne for christening, red wine for blessing, ship's bell for ringing and lots of rum. 

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel...

FWIW, this is not an option.  The Gods must be appeased!

And two aspirins the next morning. 😎

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:12 AM, Omega1234 said:

Pretty 'down in the dumps' at the moment

Patrick,

Cash flow is everything, the omnipresent albatross of a small business. After I retired wife and I had an investigation firm that exploded, numerous employees in 4 states with all the headaches of different state laws, taxes, licensing, long laundry list. When it got to where we were not running it but it was running us after 16 years we scaled way back to our home state only and just 3 employees. Actually made more profit less hassle.

I get long winded a small business is supposed to be profitable always pay your self first. If not it turns into a headache, wish you all the luck in the world.

john

Actually yesterday son in law and daughter took the boss and I on a field trip, first a dinner at a great seafood restaurant blackened scallops and shrimp A1 and a first class gumbo. Traveled to the Gengas Khan Exhibit at the exploreum. It was so so expected more. Then the City of Mobile Museum, small but very well done. A great job of displays from Mound Builders thru the Spanish, French, English, time periods. Excellent displays and artifacts. 

I passed on the Mardi Gras displays' King and Queens gowns thru the years the boss loved them. I keep trying to tell her Mardi Gras is for kids to see the parades. The parade societies are for the rich to throw beads and other throws to the poor. Its quite a spectacle to see adults groveling on there hands and knees fighting for 50 cent trinkets (admission) was not too many years ago we were a pair of grovelers.:D 

It was a nice day but next time I suggested we eat after and not before. Too much extra weight for an old man like me to carry around.

30 minutes ago, John Allen said:

Patrick,

Cash flow is everything, the omnipresent albatross of a small business. After I retired wife and I had an investigation firm that exploded, numerous employees in 4 states with all the headaches of different state laws, taxes, licensing, long laundry list. When it got to where we were not running it but it was running us after 16 years we scaled way back to our home state only and just 3 employees. Actually made more profit less hassle.

I get long winded a small business is supposed to be profitable always pay your self first. If not it turns into a headache, wish you all the luck in the world.

john

The bane of all small businesses...when you arrive at a condition where you must decide whether to grow big or stay small. 

I admire the people who endure the hardships of business ownership and operation. Where would we be without them?

1 hour ago, CDW said:

The bane of all small businesses...when you arrive at a condition where you must decide whether to grow big or stay small. 

I admire the people who endure the hardships of business ownership and operation. Where would we be without them?

Hi CDW

Thanks - you’re definitely right.  My preference would be to stay small and have a larger profit share.  

I never really appreciated what what it meant to run a small business, until I bought my own.  A very steep learning curve, that’s for sure.

Cheers

Patrick

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Allen said:

Patrick,

john

Hi John

I take my hat off to you for surviving 16 years of running your own business!  Small and lean seems to be the way to go, I guess (as you found by downsizing from 16 staff to three).

Do you still own it after all these years?

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

On 3/14/2019 at 1:57 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

Now I just need to wait for my assistant to help cover this peculiar shape with the vinyl, as I am sure that at least four hands will be required. 

Finally have a serviceable knee pad for the stand-up frame.  And yes, it took all of four hands and many clamping devices to stretch and attach the vinyl!  Had it been a simple shape, things would have been a lot easier, but of course this was anything but that with the thicker side panels.   While it doesn't look much like a finished product, it work's for me. 

100_5391.thumb.JPG.279ed9b11dd5e65b3d296f2c112eb056.JPG

The thing really looks a bit like a makeshift MacGyver contraption with that split ring and bungee chord in the corner holding it up so that I can get aboard, but again, I can't complain if it does the job.

100_5393.thumb.JPG.d758f52e611809bb772f7b67d90848fc.JPG

I tried it out for about twenty minutes, and while some seldom used muscles were very tight to start out, they did begin to relax somewhat.  I think that I should eventually last an hour or so by gradually working up to that.  (That old adage of: no pain, no gain, really has no place in therapy anymore.)  I guess the next step will be to replace the tray so I can be occupied with something while I stand there.  Maybe I can use my lap top and visit MSW.

19 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

Do you still own it after all these years?

Patrick,

Closed as of January 2019. Time to go Boss and I entered our 70s. You also have to know when to fold them. Industry changed dramatically, now its time to enjoy. I was always in the field, the Boss dealt with marketing, bookkeeping, taxes all fed filings employee withholdings etc. she was the business I was the step and fetch it. She just filed our last returns went outside and screamed for 15 minutes. :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

It was good to us, I had stated in an earlier post my retirement was to be a shop on the beach, hurricane took it and away blew it away after 3 years. One thing I learned when 1 door closes another one opens. Look at Chuck he keeps fighting and is successful for that reason and he has had to fight the Hobgoblins of thieves.

As usual enough of my drivel, wish you Luck and good fortune with your business:)

John, I hope you and your wife can enjoy your voluntary retirement right away.  Having been retired involuntarily in 2007, it took me many years to finally be resigned to it.  Then coupled with my confinement to a wheelchair and all the changes that that required of my lifestyle, it eventually made me realize that  perhaps it was for the best in one way anyhow.  When you have a full time job and come home to your part time job there is very little time left to do anything else.  I found that it would give me more time to be involved in other things, including my hobby that was always put on the back burner due to all the demands on my time for work.  Enjoy your retirement, you've earned it!:cheers:

17 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

The thing really looks a bit like a makeshift MacGyver contraption with that split ring and bungee chord in the corner holding it up so that I can get aboard, but again, I can't complain if it does the job.

Dave, I think it is awesome that you can come up with such an idea and actually make one yourself!

Jesse

First Saint Patrick's Day on a Sunday in 40 years today. Our celebrations began yesterday with our extended family picnic at the lake.

Youngest grandson, River, enjoys a cupcake (wears a cupcake). 🙂

River2.thumb.jpg.4b29b666a819770d02ddeee162bf7346.jpg

River.thumb.jpg.23ba4b43302b3faf3f7fbea36e3b0131.jpg

The Admiral cooked a feast today for our immediate family.

1423379925_feasttable.thumb.jpg.fb557d01e0582efd08dba5bbc195ce9b.jpg

feast table2.jpg

WOW! That's quite a layout. You need to give the Admiral a real pat on the back for that much food! We had out St. Patrick's day dinner yesterday as today was our youngest grandson's birthday and his parents had booked a trampoline building party for him.

I was going to say something about River's face and younger children, but then I remembered to look down at my t-shirt and for once kept my mouth shut!:D People who live in glass houses should not throw stones!

Nothing of any great not   and nothing physical,   I have always been musical  (used to be in a band in the 80s)   so now I still keep my hand in using all digital toys on my laptop  - I use a virtual keyboard/synth,     anyway a friend of mine and accomplished musician  had me do some keyboard riffs for him, he mixed them with his layers of guitar and drum machine,  anyway  he is going to create a CD with it on it.

Its an umpaid venture but kind of feel quite proud of myself.

OC.