Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

5 hours ago, John Allen said:

You don't raise a girl, they raise you.

I have heard much the same from others. Something like "You have them right where they want you." Goes for their mothers too! They got to practice on their fathers and by the time we came around they were masters of the art.

https://cruisinthecoast.com/schedule/

Went and did some more driving today first time I have had this week off.The highest reg# I saw was #8251 so another record year looks to go down in the books.The beaches are packed with vehicles from the 20's/80's vacant lots along Hyw90 due to Katrina are used for RV camping 26 miles worth.I took some pics of that but unless you see it for yourself is quite unbelievable we probably have 30/40K extra people living on the coast this  week we locals eat at home this week.A few pics...

crusin2019 003.JPG

crusin2019 005.JPG

crusin2019 010.JPG

crusin2019 011.JPG

crusin2019 015.JPG

crusin2019 021.JPG

crusin2019 020.JPG

Red sky in morning, sailor take warning.

Attachment with no description

Still a pretty sight out the front window first thing in the morning while having coffee. We have been having some spectacular sunsets over the last couple of days as well.

Edited by lmagna

5 hours ago, JesseLee said:

Beautiful view of the lake!

I agree. Looks like it will be quite the house when you are finished.

I posted a picture from my window the other day a few entries above. What a difference a few days makes:

image.png.29e5b01fc2a740425da2546c43ef88a4.png

This was one of the smaller migrations today on a much cooler blustery day where I live. It looks like the geese are in their annual "Fly away home" Mode with all of the attendant sounds, on my morning dog walk. He is only a little over a year old and has never seen this happen and was enthralled.

Edited by lmagna

Well the Crusisin'2019 came in at 8,620 vehicles registered  up about 400 over last year but we dropped to #2 in the nation this year for largest show I guess Las Vegas got #1 this year?Saturday the real last day of the event (last a week) was jam packed you figure their was probably another 3/4K car not registered that just cruise in Hwy 90 was locked up :D Kevin

I hit the range today for the first time in three months.I took out three rifles I have never shot 1909 Argentine 7.65X53mm,1930's Venezuelan FN Mauser and a FN 49 Venezuelan both 7X57m.The rear ramp on the 1909 starts AT 300M I dropped three shots in a thumbnail @50yds open sights not far but impressive being the first five rds I ever shot through it.The Mauser was the second best 7x57mm 174gr it group nice just not as tight again first time shooting the rifle 2" groups.The FN49 was your standard issue groups at 100yds 4" but was originally designed for 139gr not 174gr a little hot.All three were pleasant to shoot esp. the 7mm's the 1909 rocked a bit with it being the longest by 2.5/3" on the barrel length has higher velocities.;) Kevin

13 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

The 1909 Argentine... wasn't a Mauser was it?  I used to own one... nice for target practice but not sporterized it was pretty much useless for hunting.  It did look good over the mantel.

It's a Mauser yes very long the auction sheet had the rifle @95% it even has the numbered front barrel cover/protector the one thing I do not have is the # bayo.My rifle if it had 300rds put through it that was alot there is hardly a primer ring on the bolt face from the old corrosive ammo.The two Venezuelan's have even less on there bolts with the Mauser with almost none those three along with the Enfield  are the cleanest in the collection with cosmoline still in the barrel and front sight on the Enfield and it's staying that way.;) Kevin

3 hours ago, Javlin said:

.All three were pleasant to shoot

Yep mausers are great to shoot with.
I have a collection of 4  (legally in possession according to the very strict Belgian laws)

2 Germans,  one  from the Mauser factory build in 1935 and one from the Steyr factory build in 1943
2 Ex Yugoslavs (M24/47 and M48)

On 10/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Javlin said:

https://cruisinthecoast.com/schedule/

Went and did some more driving today first time I have had this week off.The highest reg# I saw was #8251 so another record year looks to go down in the books.The beaches are packed with vehicles from the 20's/80's vacant lots along Hyw90 due to Katrina are used for RV camping 26 miles worth.I took some pics of that but unless you see it for yourself is quite unbelievable we probably have 30/40K extra people living on the coast this  week we locals eat at home this week.A few pics...

For whatever reason, I have always loved the earlier Mustangs.  My dad bought a '64-1/2 convertible with a stick.  My mom told him to take it back.  He returned with an automatic, convertible, of course. 

My son and I watched Gone In 60 Seconds when it made it to cable (I think it was in 2002) and he was in love.  We looked everywhere for a '67 that was driveable.  He ended up "settling" for a '72 Mach 1 with a four-bolt main 351 Cleveland.  He waxed it up in the garage and was pretty proud of it.  Nice ride for a 17 year old!

mach7.jpg.97d01d29fcc20118fbe5cbf3ca32b985.jpg

mach1.jpg.f8a4ad271fb2742b69360f5b87da9a06.jpg

I would of love one of those now Julie sheesh nice rod with factory Magnum 500 rims only way to go those things were expensive when I was a kid.You two need to sit down and watch "Bullit"  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062765/   touted and I believe it the best chase scene ever filmed!!

Edited by Javlin

After an incredibly successful NRG conference I was able to stay an extra day and head on down to Mystic Seaport. As everyone who is leaving the conference today knows the weather was totally awesome and by that I mean it was totally not awesome. The day started off with some very light drizzle’s which rapidly progressed to torrential down pour‘s for the entire day. One good thing was there was only about six people in the entire museum complex. I’m sure the workers/volunteers outnumbered us 30 to 1. So that was a great benefit I didn’t have to wait in line for anything and all my pictures had no people in them.Would’ve been nice to have nice weather however I’m still really glad I went as it is an awesome museum.

0A609061-ED96-4B27-AAA9-5353F94D1CD6.thumb.jpeg.91adcdda2e10af4fc306cd3f8a4459e8.jpeg

18 hours ago, MEDDO said:

I’m still really glad I went as it is an awesome museum.

Been there, done that!  It's been a good twenty years or so ago, but I was able to get aboard the C.W. Morgan, the Joseph Conrad, the Rose and a fishing schooner that I can't recall her name.

100_5820.thumb.JPG.5f741c5b67485cfb1fa57e12c60996e4.JPG

100_5816.thumb.JPG.c606b8fa611d2a694804834ed3dd452e.JPG

100_5817.thumb.JPG.8529bf7182a9c8ac6c3218af66ae1abb.JPG

100_5818.thumb.JPG.77a33cfe3c8959d030df3d82d4d4ac7e.JPG

(That's the admiral at the helm.)

That was long before I had a digital camera and I went through several rolls of film, but just couldn't get enough!  Back then, stairs were getting very tough for me to handle, and despite the lack of an elevator, I still just had to climb to the third floor of the building that housed most of the models on display.  I was quite worn out by the end of the visit.   Unfortunately the vast majority of those models were in glass case displays which made photographing them very difficult, but a few like this one didn't turn out too bad.

100_5819.thumb.JPG.308f69e2540a0f62a93b9c6ef48a17d5.JPG

Also like your visit, the weather was cold and very wet.  In spite of all that, I heartily recommend to all of the ship model junkies here to pay it a visit!

On 10/27/2019 at 6:03 PM, Javlin said:

I would of love one of those now Julie sheesh nice rod with factory Magnum 500 rims only way to go those things were expensive when I was a kid.You two need to sit down and watch "Bullit"  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062765/   touted and I believe it the best chase scene ever filmed!!

I think we watched Bullit.  I do remember while watching Gone In 60 Seconds me telling my son about the Bullit chase scene. Still one of the best.

He kept that car for about 10 years, then finally sold it for a song. 

I started watching "Dauntless", a movie supposedly about the Battle of Midway. Well it does take place during the battle, but there is very little about the actual battle in the movie! What it is about is one of the US pilots shot down and his suffering until he is, hopefully, rescued. I may watch it to completion in the future, but for now I have taken it out and started another movie. I wanted one that covered the whole battle better. It is also mostly CGI and not the latest quality animation of that type.

After the storm last Monday,  and spending time in the yard for some clean up. When I saw that the shed had lost some shingles, glad there's two packages in their. So I did fix that. It's not matching the rest, but it's a shed. At least it's weather proofed again.

20191102_134032.jpg

I was asked by ole HS friends which I see maybe a hand full of times a year to build plaque holder for a local disc golf course to honor one of the members(lung cancer).The box measures 13'WX19"HX2.25"D is made of Spanish Cedar mainly with trim done in Sapele ATTM I am only on three coats of Spar-Urethane  plan to add three more coats.The plaque is to be mounted to a pole at the course so I cross grained the wood(horizontal then applied two 1" slaps to the back vertical.That should stabilize the the frame I hope for warp-age.The other pic is just the shop bench it's 12' long with a built in vacuum system which I have only used a handful of times but it's there(like copit of a model)

p51 003.JPG

p51 004.JPG

p51 005.JPG

p51 001.JPG

The little project is done and while I was doing it as favor the group decided to pay me something though not a lot it pays for the materials and a little labor.The plaque has six coats of spar-urethane applied all in all maybe 4/5hrs.one w/o flash and one with like the Huntboard no stain just the natural colors of the wood.

plaque 001.JPG

plaque 002.JPG

I went with some fellow former Marines to the local VFW for several (understatement) toasts in honor of the US Marine Corp birthday today.   Seeing as how the Marines were founded in a tavern, toasting them well is only appropriate.  The toasts started with "to the Marine Corps", then "the Commondant"... then things went down from there.  

Completed my first 1:1 scale items. I've been looking for good boxes for my vinyl record collection for some time now. Finally, I decided to just build them myself. Designed in Solidworks, cut on a CNC router, and finished by hand. 

IMG_2616-1.JPG

IMG_2618-1.JPG

Edited by rshousha

On this Veterans Day, I am once again reminded that despite the fact that my voluntary military service was short lived, it still turned out to be the major turning point in my own life in more ways than one.  After unknowingly growing up with Muscular Dystrophy, it was finally revealed to me while stationed at Ft. Sill OK that there was indeed an explanation for my physical difficulties and was the reason for my discharge.  But on the other hand, it was also the reason that I met the woman that was soon to become my wife.  Both events totally changed my life since.  Sometimes I wonder if that second event was meant to ease the impact of the first.

So, on this 48th anniversary of my entry into the Army, I am reminded once again of both events.