Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

Not exactly today but in the last couple I needed more space for the work area saw a video and said shoot and cobbled this together.The plate for the wall/arm was left over from the Huntboard one I thought not good enough!

p51 001.JPG

p51 002.JPG

Edited by Javlin

A little project Momma has wanted me too get started on and one I was actually looking forward to.The furniture we have had about 20years now have refinished the original boards once before stain/varnish and painted the metal.I decided maybe this is the last time no stain to fade away just some of my Sapele with a few coats of spar-urethane(not on yet) you can see in the other pic the then and now.I built this porch on the house some 25yrs ago it's 26'X6' with recessed speakers and lighting(dimmer).The day I had to pay the roofer it was pouring rain like crazy and he has asked before that day Kevin "I thought you were going to put a pitch on that porch" I said "I did it goes from 18' pitch to a 10' pitch when that water hits the top of the roof and hits the 10' it already has weight and acceleration to go the rest of the way".Carl and I looked at the the underside of the roof(no ceiling yet) their was no leaks and all worked as planned as well as for Katrina.

airbrush 005.JPG

airbrush 006.JPG

1 hour ago, Nirvana said:

Very nice job, I like it.

Momma liked it too it's an easy project easier than sanding all that oak over again.I will have to make another run to Ponchatoula LA probably later this month I usually like to go in March or April,April is the strawberry festival last time brought back a flat for $20.

Not ntoday, but this is how I spent my weekend.  Awakened just before midnoght Friday night by my son shouting to call 9-1-1 as the house across the street was on fire.  Yep, it was! 

IMG_20191214_000935791.thumb.jpg.d4b68a5c0835154b479b36ebddd8e610.jpg

Call made, clothing quickly thrown on to ensure that the family in the house immediately behind was safely out of the house (the one on fire is vacant for the winter - snowbird in Florida).  They were out so got mom & daughter into our home across the street (photos taken from our dooryard).  Aided first arriving unit (very quick response by 3 departments) with getting a line laid then kept my neighbor company (and out of trouble) while the fire was extinguished.  Front house gutted, Fire Marshal due today to investigate cause (suspecct the car which was in the garage).  Spent until 4:30am helping salvage important papers and guns, boarding up windows on his house (cedar shake siding charred from foundation to roof, some roof damage from heat).  Back during the downpours Saturday to pull more out of his mom's house (the one which burned) and look for specific items.

IMG_20191214_000943685.thumb.jpg.1af112e307b80aa04bdaee1647702779.jpg

IMG_20191214_001242833.thumb.jpg.2c2ef6e4e98a0f4c21527ef8582437d9.jpg

IMG_20191214_004830624.thumb.jpg.5efc24566b62d613d83138cecadae4bd.jpg

IMG_20191214_012006160.thumb.jpg.e0f56021f830beb806b5aa55ade31404.jpg

IMG_20191214_012015369.thumb.jpg.661f9f143c2df73f1d2cc9ee6a76493c.jpg

Almost makes miss miss my days as a firefighter - but as my wife (and daughter) have pointed out, not if I want to walk any longer (back problems, not Italian heritage discussing knee caps).

I always hate to see someones house burn. Our heating unit caught fire about 6 years back. 911 operator is telling me to get outside and wait for the fire department. The wall behind it had not caught much yet and I told her I was not going to just step outside and watch my house catch fire and burn. Luckily I keep aquariums and have things like sand, water, etc. on hand all the time. Killed the power, dumped sand & water all over it and blocked the opening to cut off air supply. The fire department said I saved it. I've had family members lose there house to fire and my best friend who is down on his luck and was down to living in a camper got burned out just a few weeks ago. Glad all your neighbors are alright. 

Jesse

This Saturday at our club meeting one of our members had this happen to them...

IMG_1721.jpeg.41fb6ab78e7051dd320e3ccf7d17469b.jpeg

He was downstairs in his shop and went upstairs for a few minutes and came back down (thinks maybe 10 min upstairs).  When he got back downstairs he said he heard some kinda sizzling and looked up to a fireball around the light going up into the floor joists.  He was able to get it out but thinks he was maybe 1-2 minutes away from total disaster.  He had a bunch of these from same manufacturer around the house.  They have all been replaced.

20 hours ago, MEDDO said:

He had a bunch of these from same manufacturer around the house.  They have all been replaced.

Sounds like some kind of investigation would be warranted to determine just why it failed so drastically in the first place!  There may be more of these time bombs out there just waiting to go off.  There may be something inherently wrong with the product that the manufacturer should be made aware of in case a recall is necessary.

20 hours ago, MEDDO said:

This Saturday at our club meeting one of our members had this happen to them...

IMG_1721.jpeg.41fb6ab78e7051dd320e3ccf7d17469b.jpeg

He was downstairs in his shop and went upstairs for a few minutes and came back down (thinks maybe 10 min upstairs).  When he got back downstairs he said he heard some kinda sizzling and looked up to a fireball around the light going up into the floor joists.  He was able to get it out but thinks he was maybe 1-2 minutes away from total disaster.  He had a bunch of these from same manufacturer around the house.  They have all been replaced.

I have had the same thing happen.  do not trust this type of bulb any more

Do we know who the manufacturer of these bulbs is?  I have several similar bulbs around here and would like to know if it's the same as the ones that you guys have.  Since we apparently already have Ohio, North Carolina, and Idaho reporting similar incidents here concerning this problem, it already seems to be quite widespread.             

Being members of a forum that is even more widespread, (international even) we should spread the word of our concerns about this product and maybe prevent more similar incidents that could have much more tragic results.   Personally, I would hate to hear about another incident that could have been prevented if they were just forewarned.  There must be some type of consumer protection organization to go through.  Do any other members here have any suggestions about how to proceed?  

There are many instances of this type of bulb causing fires and meltdowns.  Go to the CSPC web site to see how to report problems as well as to see what has already been reported and/or recalled.

US Consumer Products Safety Commission

https://www.cpsc.gov/

I got rid of all of these bulbs long ago.    The packaging will state if they can or cannot be used in enclosed fixtures which was a big problem like what has been shown here.  There were enough other issues with them so I got rid of every one we had purchased.

Be aware that only some of the new LED bulbs can be placed into enclosed fixtures.  Read the packaging.

Kurt

For those of you who are in the US, and perhaps watched MR. Rodgers Neighborhood, as a child, or with yours. Here is an interview with the man who was the director of the show in the 80s. It is, of all places, from a Model Railroad podcast video. The opening scenes for the show were shot on a small HO layout that panned in on one model house that was the "exterior" of his house. Quite a lot about Fred Rodgers, and how it was to work for him. I found it quite interesting.

My wife and I re-did the wasteland out the front of the house and turned it into a nice garden, with a sort of jungle theme, choosing plants which looked jungly but would survive Ballarat's cold winters.

20191120_081506.thumb.jpg.1943748d04bc09c41b6040fddb797d87.jpg 20191121_180611.thumb.jpg.0df690e23ff8ab98122474c8031c02c5.jpg 20191121_180632.thumb.jpg.3563073dfb7f6a19efcdc8c3f5d4218f.jpg 20191124_085223.thumb.jpg.4cc7f2d1d648b4986b772fcbe4c9f5f9.jpg 20191124_085319.thumb.jpg.eeafec9c146fd036cf535bf611909de1.jpg

And we built a boardwalk at the back of the house, which connects to a sloping boardwalk ramp down the side - in time it will all go down to the front fence -if nothing else we'd like it all to be accessible as we get older. The timber posts support the boardwalk, and will later form a pergola to minimise the hot summer sun.

20191127_170509.thumb.jpg.0ef42ba12523025838529df6ed80058d.jpg 20191208_123951.thumb.jpg.1ac8608d79fe2ca740f0126d782d522e.jpg 20191211_175034.thumb.jpg.dd92cfa7d66e76ca5efd996907503c4e.jpg

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

5 hours ago, JesseLee said:

I wish I could do things like this but it always turns out that the only things that survive are weeds and briars!

Actually I'm no gardener. This is all down to my lovely wife, including the overall concept for the garden. If it were just me, it'd all be weeds.

Steven

Beautiful landscaping job Steve. I don't think you could have done better if you had hired a professional! Now all I need top do is get you and your wife over to my house and do the same kind of makeover, If I tried it the whole thing would still look like a bunch of weeds. Actually my next door neighbor does just that every spring! She spends weeks every year doing her front garden, (I wish they would spend the same amount of time on their house :() and to me it still looks like a pile of weeds when she is done. Well tended weeds, but weeds none the less! I secretly call her "Talks To Plants".

The scroll saw I bought has an oil bath crank assembly. The gaskets were leaking, so I made new ones. Not a difficult gasket, just a ring with 4 bolt holes. The original ones from the factory were paper thin, so I bought 1/32nd thick material. However a preveous owner had used 1/16th, and when I reassembled the gearbox, it was jammed! I had to make two new gaskets and reassemble it using two layers. this freed the machanism. I guess the parts had worn in with a step using the 1/16th gasket, and when I set them up closer, no go.

This took up several extra hours, so I did not get any further.

The crank parts are fairly groved due to, I guess, the oil level not being maintained, but it still runs smoothly. I did find out that carburater cleaner will attack old Delta Tools paint! I guess I'll have to find a gentler cleaner for the rest of the saw. It did clean out the old oil residue inside though.

Today I got some more renovations done in my shop.

I unmounted my old Delta 16” scroll saw from the stand it has been on for the last 25 or so years, and disassembled the stand. This is so the “new” 24’ saw can take its place. The old stand will be recycled as the stand for the 4” Dremel table saw, once I clear room for it.  The shelves in the stand are thin particle board, and have not aged well. When I put it back together I’ll replace them with ¼” plywood ones. Here is a shot of the cleared space.

2138040890_CleanSpace.thumb.JPG.167e9cc0b25bf89947d396a3d42f8666.JPG

You can see the top of the stand at the lower right, and the stand parts on the tote behind the paint can. The pile of lumber to the left, is a computer cabinet, that will probably end up in the house, and the saw will slide back a bit to clear the sliding door to the train layout area.

This is a rough layout showing the position of the saw, just to the left of the sliding doors. (Yes I know the drawing is not exactly “rough”, but the saw block is just approximately drawn.) When I use it, I’ll drag it out more into the room, I think I’ll try furniture slides under the legs for this.

Shop.thumb.JPG.dd1272446e24273e2e3469da53d8517d.JPG

Last year I found an used older model Delta Air Cleaner, at the local hardware store, and purchased it for $40! Today I finally got it hung up. It now hangs over where the scroll saw will be. Eventually I will put drywall up on the ceiling, but I still have some wiring to run up there (notably for the saw and air cleaner, as well as some more for the lighting). The present single led light bulbs will be replaced with 4 lamp Florence fixtures, once the ceiling is up.

Filter_01.thumb.JPG.9258e4d700e26c417d00bc70bccc83ec.JPG

Filter_02.JPG.00dbe8c26d71219bca81486275793a9b.JPG

Filter_03.JPG.efbcba227025052cfa06988c79eca6f8.JPG

The only problem with the air cleaner is the front filter. The store owner had left it out in the rain, and the filter is in rough shape. Thankfully the expensive inner bag filter is in good shape, as is the cleaner body and fan. I’ll get a new front filter, before I start using it (there is some mold as well as rust on it).

I also sanded the saw table to remove what little original paint remained, and to clean off most of the oxidized surface layer. It looks a lot better than the picture below, and is nearly to the point where I will wax it to keep it clean and smooth. I bought some Micro-Crystalline Wax, for this purpose. That is the type used by woodworkers for their equipment. It does not transfer to the wood. There may be some wax already on there now, so I’ll get a cleaner to remove any before the final sanding.

273764723_SawTable_01.thumb.JPG.444f393618f1ee8045631ae5e7fbdb96.JPG

Yesterday I got more work done in the shop.

I rearranged a set of Lawyers Cabinets, my mini-lathe, and machinist tool boxes.

1009282237_ScrollSaw_14.thumb.JPG.e4b9e86b404a0eab6a2719291913bf4e.JPG

27379560_ScrollSaw_15.thumb.JPG.d24cdcec38b4e1c8e010c04259b5024b.JPG

The lathe and toolboxes were where the cabinets were. This may to seem too noteworthy, but it will make a big difference. After I clean out the ship portion of the shop a little more, the lathe and toolbox will be wheeled into there. In addition there was a bunch of “stuff” in front of the lathe before. Last year I bought an extended bed for the lathe, and now I can get to it to start the conversion. The extended bed will turn this 7X10 lathe into a 7X16 one. It actually adds 8" to the 7X10 lathe, and 4" to a 12" one, so the 10" lathe is actually a 7X8 lathe. With the 10 and 12" versions the these lathes, there is almost no room to mount a drill bit and chuck in the tailstock, or use a live center in it either. The extension kit comes with a longer lead screw, and chip pan.

In addition I moved the scroll saw into its new area, and assembled it. As you can see the table 0 degree mark needs to be adjusted.

I also purchased a set of the stock 4 step pulleys, to replace the single step ones that a previous owner put on.

1237754288_ScrollSaw_11.thumb.JPG.db20369ddcb5c9db54f4c8b9cb37c333.JPG

I cleaned off the surface of the saw table with paint thinner, to remove any old wax, and to clean off the sanding residue. A lot of gunk came off. Then I waxed the top with Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax. The top looks much better now. The belt will be discussed below.

1583366760_ScrollSaw_13.thumb.JPG.bb9168b22bb6f607351d999057bf743c.JPG

Here is a picture of the wax. It came in a much smaller jar than I was expecting, but I had to use very little of it, so it will probably last me years. The photo shows it next to a 200mL bottle of primer. I applied it with a hand towel sized piece of micro-fiber cloth. I got a two pack of them at Walmart for $0.88. By the way, the black dot on the primer bottle, indicates that I've put a SS mixing ball in it. This lets me know not to add another in the future, or that a fresh bottle, no dot, needs one.

319468566_ScrollSaw_16.thumb.JPG.267ae855ed2fdb24ac9f8cc2cca5f06a.JPG

927546873_ScrollSaw_17.JPG.b73a02b480f15713adedc792f08e0e5d.JPG

The saw came with the motor mounted on the lower shelf. This leads to vibration from the long belt flapping around. This also allows no adjustment, when changing speeds. In addition I have a length of link belt V-belt, that is 7” too short to span this distance. As a 4 or 5 foot length costs about $40 to $50, I don’t want to buy more. The motor can’t be mounted to the base of the saw, as the one the saw comes with from the factory. The motor that came with the saw, is also a replacement one, and it has the starting capacitor mounted on top of the motor, which would make it stick into the path of the wood when cutting.

464051431_ScrollSaw_12.thumb.JPG.62679f9101009bddadebb3fa9c1fdef2.JPG

Right now I am thinking of making a plywood motor mount, which I would hinge to the bottom of the top shelf, and hang the motor upside down on this. The weight of the motor should be enough to keep the belt tight. I also need to make a belt guard.

When I replaced the gaskets, I also switched the crank from having the pulley on the left, to being on the right, to allow me to change speeds easier. I filled the crank yesterday, and there were no leaks this morning.

You will notice that the saw table looks really rusty in the last picture. This has something to do with the camera flash. The table under natural light looks like the picture above it.

Ron, I  think the idea of a hinged platform for the motor will work just fine, I have a vintage Inca table saw that has that set up the weight of the motor holds it down, it does have a treaded rod with a wing nut and washers to hold it tight, but I hardly ever remember to check it , when I do, it needs to be tightened but the saw works well without it being secured the weight of the motor holds it down , motor is a 1-1/2 HP Dayton. Shop is really coming along, I wish I had that much space

Ed