Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

1 hour ago, Jim Lad said:

Thank you for your photo essay on the re-birthing of a book.  I've always been fascinated by old books and their preservation - perhaps because in her younger days my mum worked as a bookbinder at the City of Sydney Library.

Can I ask what adhesive is used to hold books together - they always seem capable of taking enormous punishment?

John

John,

Depends largely on age and region, historically western materials are made primarily with hide glue.  Eastern materials can either be animal

glues, starch based adhesives or no glues at all.

More contemporary materials are largely made with industrial PVA’s or EVA’s.   But a whole long list of synthetics have been variably used as well.   

Durability mostly comes from structure style, binding type, sewing structures and covering materials.

Had to take my little assistant to the Vet today and leave him there overnight.  He was out of sorts today and very lethargic, which is never a good sign.  Birds naturally try to hide injuries or sickness, so we were quite alarmed and took him in as soon as the exotic pet vet came in at 4.

IMG_2892.thumb.JPG.0ebd0b4dd48b0b9a53ec05dd7f524b4a.JPG

He gets to spend the night under observation before a few tests tomorrow including an MRI.  Hope our little guy doesn't have anything too serious! :(

The last couple weeks I’ve been working on the legs for my HO layout. They are legs and book shelves combined. I had originally set them at about a layout height of 44”. This was convenient as I was able to put two workbenches under them. One for my computer, and one for a regular workbench. Since I built them though I have changed the plan for the layout(s) themselves, and have decided that I need to lower them by about seven inches, so that I can reach the back tracks on the new track plans. This still allows for three levels of books, but it will be too low for the workbenches, as there will not be clearance for me to see more than 6 inches or so of the surface, when sitting. The good news is that I will now have an additional 11 feet of three level two foot deep shelves. So a lot of the stuff that has been cluttering my shop will now have a home. With the workbench in the newly remodeled area of the shop, I will still be able to work on my models.

The original track plan for this area was a 2x17 foot layout, the new one is a two section one, that’s comes out to 2x20 feet. Hence the need to stretch the fourth section from 5 to about 8 feet long.

The picture below shows the lowering process. First I cut out the back of the legs/shelves, then I moved the layout supports down. In addition I notched the tops of the supports, and moved the front support from vertical to horizontal. This allows me to still slip full sized books into the top shelf.

This seems like it should not take this long, but it involved moving a lot of things around that were on the shelves, as well as the boxes I had on the wire shelves mounted to the back of the legs.  The legs will be two feet deep and about 20 feet long overall. They are freestanding in the middle of the shop.

Cutting out the back of the book cases, first two sections 9 foot long overall.

94181944_LayoutLower_01.thumb.JPG.9c8f3a48ed47417887425ad43116fbd3.JPG

Notching out the sides of the lowered supports.

491679604_LayoutLower_02.thumb.JPG.d9d513798d624cf8737ab1335fc1ad7b.JPG

The front piece moved to the top.

614577813_LayoutLower_03.JPG.643cefdc7c42b37208a38339c2d3dfb3.JPG

547681211_LayoutLower_04.JPG.3e829dfd3a9bd868b3b297704ec36889.JPG

The front of the second section was already a 1X2 so I left it as is. The work bench table will be moved to be level with one of the self levels, and become one of the  shelves.

The third section support moved down. I will notch this section when I rebuild the fourth section.

605153479_LayoutLower_05.thumb.JPG.b57f9e9de2a1743b561b1762f96c7bac.JPG

The back of the fourth section cut down.

792584376_LayoutLower_06.thumb.JPG.661f91ff12a46278f70b4319facc9ffb.JPG

The fourth section will be completely rebuilt. It presently is five feet long, and has what was my main workbench built in. This will all go away, saving only the legs. I will build a new support frame for this section, and it will be just short of eight feet long with three shelves.

The workbench will be saved, and I will put it under the 9x11 oval third phase of the layout, probably as a slide out, as the third phase will be at the same height as these sections. There is no room in front of the legs to allow this to slide out where it presently sits.

Well, I have an update on our Vet visit.   We picked up our parotlette Sebastian yesterday after he spent the night at the UW Veterinary Care Center for observation and testing.  Certainly a stressful situation for both him and us, but our concern for his health didn’t leave us much of a choice.  Many of us with pets find out quickly that they basically become like family members and we treat them as such and go to great lengths for them. 

When we took him in for his exam they found him somewhat dehydrated but no other obvious problems other than his lethargy and lack of appetite.  So they gave him some fluids and put him in an isolation cage with some millet (which he nibbled at briefly) for the night and in the morning they sedated him for a CT scan and some blood tests.

He recovered well from the sedation and his tests.  As near as they could determine they thought since nothing serious showed up he may just have gotten some stale food or picked up some infection that they gave him a dose of antibiotics for that I will have to give him twice a day for 14 days.  Vet care can be a little pricey though, the Ct scan alone was $300.  Needless to say we were still happy for the results and took him home. 

Now all I have to do is find a way to get him to take the antibiotics twice a day!  He is quite a handful to get in hand and hold still long enough to give them to him.  Looks like an extra pair of hands will be needed to get started, especially when he gets wise to our efforts to corral him. (Telling him it’s for his own good works about as well for him as it does for children, that is to say, not so much.)

Glad it was nothing major. Our 13 year old Yorky was diagnosed with Cushings Syndrome yesterday. Not much to do about it. She has a huge belly/liver, and has a hard time getting on her feet but once she's on her feet she's fine. No pain or anything.

Installed dog door for the puppies and cats today, with fenced yard they can go and come best as they like.

Cutting into a exterior metal door was something I never done before, but all went well.

Besides it's all straight and plumbed.

Please disregard the colors of the walls and the dirty door, it all will change.

I think they previous owner (only one owner before us ( house built in 1973)) never repainted inside.

Yellow and brown was popular at the time.

On the plus side, all windows has been changed to low-e dual pane. And a heat pump was installed in 2010.

Water heater had the changed to pass inspection, prior final signage of contract.

Going to install a special cat door inside for the litter boxes, to keep dogs out.

dog door.jpg

This door is located in the so called bonus room, also our media-room.

All the switches and receptals is being changed, they are out of date.

Swapping to big soft touch switches and all being grounded.

Edited by Nirvana
Added text.

I have finally gotten to the point I can start building my HO layout. Enough of the leg sections have been lowered that I have more than 12 feet clear. The length is not where the section will end up , but I can build it and move it later. The layout will be in modules, so this will not be difficult.

A couple of months ago I found a HP 1600 color laser printer at a thrift store, for $10. I’m glad I bought it. I already had a 2600 printer, but figured a spare was a good idea. It was. I fired up the 2600, and it no longer feeds paper from the tray! So the 1600 is my new go to machine. Getting either of them to work with Windows 10 was a chore. The drivers Win 10 automatically installed could see that the printer was hooked up, but otherwise, there was no communication. I found some instructions on the Web. I had to unplug the USB cables, remove the printers from the printer setup screen, then install Win 8 (but not 8.1) drivers, then plug in the printers. Now the computer runs the printer, as it should.

I used it to print out a full size track plan (12X2) (60 pages) as well as a one page overall, and one that labels which switch goes where (left hand, right hand, and size).

I’ve been going back and forth about wood framed modules, or extruded foam substructure. After figuring out the cost of supporting the foam, underneath, I’m going to go with 3/8 plywood for the top, and ¼” ply sides and bottom, with most of the bottom cut out for access. This will leave a web type structure on the bottom. The ends will be ¾” ply so that I can install clamps to hold the sections together.

Next week I’m ordering some silkspan, to make sails with. I have finally given up on finding the several sheets that are packed somewhere in the shop.

Posted (edited)
What an amazing last 30 hours.
Started out yesterday noon with a second interview for a new job. Just as I arrived to the location, the sun broke through the clouds and provided with a nice afternoon.
Today has been sunny and warm.
Along with that the new ignitor for the grill came with the mail, now having a functional grill.
Then I got a call regarding the position I interviewed for, and now I have a new and challenging job, as a retail supervisor at a huge lodge in our area.
To top it off, I saw the first hummingbird for the year!
Edited by Nirvana

Today I went to the grocery store. I saved a lot of money. There was nothing there! We ordered some TP off of Amazon. We're going to hold a raffle.

Justin,

I have a book I would like to have restored. It is of no particular value other than sentimental as it belonged to my Mother who passed away some time ago. I have all the pages and the boards with cloth covers. I have searched for restorers in my area but have had no luck. What does something like that cost for just an ordinary book. By the way this is a cook book that still gets used quite often even in its current state. I would like to pass it on to my daughter some day.

Thanks.

So after two years of looking longingly I finally placed the order for a Byrnes Table Saw and pretty much every accessory for it.  While I was ordering that I decided to order the disc sander too.  I figured hey, I'll save on shipping.  My debit card was not amused.

My 93-year-old World War II vet and I were sitting on his porch smoking cigars, as we are wont to do. We lived across from a park on a street called Parkside way. People walk their dogs, jog, walk, and children play. We always say hello and often times get into a short chat. This afternoon, a woman walked by with her dog and I said hello. She moved on without saying anything so I assume she did not hear me. She came around the block again, and again I said hello. She turned around and yelled at me, "stop harassing me or I will call the police". Interesting people in central California. Most people are wonderful, but sometimes you get a real character.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:34 PM, shane762 said:

So after two years of looking longingly I finally placed the order for a Byrnes Table Saw and pretty much every accessory for it.  While I was ordering that I decided to order the disc sander too.  I figured hey, I'll save on shipping.  My debit card was not amused.

Yep, I would like to do the same, but as you mentioned my account wouldn't be to happy with me either...….. and the Admiral even less. It would be the dog house detention for me for the next half year..... at least. 
On the other hand, the dog house would be the workshop.

Well, for me, I had only one mission to accomplish today, that was to get my motorcycle from a friends place.
This involved a 9 hours round-trip in WA, from West to East and back.
Now I have my baby back. Need to get a new shut-off finger for the fuel valve. Some air in the tires and I am ready for a new season …...

1 hour ago, Nirvana said:

This involved a 9 hours round-trip in WA, from West to East and back.

I kind of wish I could come up with a reason to get out for nine hours of "New View". Early and mid spring is a normally a pretty time to get out and about after the long gray winter here in Washington. All of the new flowers, (Cherry trees right now) and the new leaves starting to turn everything green again with the spots of flowering color. So far I have been stuck withh the Cherry blossoms in my front yard and the few neighborhood and personal yard trees and blossoms that I can see from my immediate area.

Posted (edited)

Well today was a first for me. Ever since this whole virus thing started here in Everett we have been pretty much OK. Just going with the flow of social change and requirements. Today we reached the point of finally having to meet the needs of our two housebound Velociraptors. As both of us are pretty much in the bulls eye description of people who should not expose themselves to the virus we decided to try our hand at online grocery shopping! :stunned:

We went to the online version of the store we normally shop in as there are signs all over the store that advertise that it is easy to order and have your groceries delivered for free!  Well after making a couple of false starts and learning the site we were able to pretty much order all we needed and proceeded to check out. One of the steps, thankfully before paying was to check the desired day for delivery. It appears that they had been overwhelmed and that there was no way we could find an open delivery date! Even changing store locations made no difference. We tried switching our order to pick up at the store, again without any dates being available. We finally had to give up and resigned ourselves to having to break isolation and wander amongst the isles with all the other hungry strangers.

We were waiting for what we hoped to be a hour where no one else wanted to be at the store so i started looking at other stores as well. I did eventually find one that was advertising two hour delivery! So we again went through the steps of how to fine stuff in the "store" and get it ordered. When we checked out there was  a warning that there could be as much as a five hour delay. That was OK so we paid and sat back and waited. Less than two hours later the phone rang and the driver said he was on his way and would be there shortly! We were rather shocked.

We probably paid more and got less than we would have if we had gone to the store ourselves but in this case I thought it was worth the cost. We are probably being a little over cautious as it seems there have been no cases of people catching the virus while shopping, not even by the employees of the stores, but it still made us feel a little more secure. 

Edited by lmagna

No such trouble with deliveries in Vienna.............

But lots of people are bunkering toilet paper, I wonder why?????????????????

We can go out to get all the food we need, most people keep a good distance from others, so we do too. But we also watch out that we are not otu for too much time, wash our hands carefully, no signs of the virus at the time😅.

Made some progress with saving my pics from the CAIRO-Thread on my PC again, learned how far I was before, and can do a new restart now!

Best regards and keep healthy

Gerhard

On 3/15/2020 at 10:34 PM, shane762 said:

Just received word this morning that my saw and disc sander have shipped.  Should be here Friday.  My debit card might still be in mourning but I'm happy.

Cut short our annual March stay in Florida to return to Northern MN.  My daughter, who is an infectious disease doctor at Lagonne Children’s Hospital in New York City agreed that being home amid familiar surroundings with access to our regular health care professionals and hospitals outweighed the risks of traveling.

We flew from Ft Myers in SW Florida to Minneapolis, picked up our car parked in the garage of a nearby Hampton Inn and drove the remaining 150 miles home.  It was a sobering experience.  Both usually busy airports were empty.  Particularly  sad was the reaction of airport personnel such as baggage porters, and cart drivers who rely on tip income.  They really hung around hoping for use of their services which we made a point of doing.  Drink service on the 3-1 /2 hour Delta Airlines flight was bottled water or nothing. And the plane was smaller than usual and still not full.  No complaints from either of us.  We got home as planned on time despite the fact the departure boards at both airports showed many flights cancelled and were cartainly grateful to people in the travel industry who work to make these abbreviated schedules possible.

I was was also worried about retrieving my car from the Hampton Inn’s enclosed garage.  Fortunately the Hotel was still open but on a bare bones basis, with signs posted:  No breakfast, no pool, don’t try to shelter in place here.

I hope that this plague passes over us before completely ruining those who must interact with the public daily just to feed and shelter their families.

Roger Pellett

Edited by Roger Pellett

They ran to the groceries, they filled up their carts, 🛒🥩🥚🥛
They emptied the Tops and Price Chopper and Walmart,
They panicked and fought and then panicked some more,
Then they rushed to their homes and they locked all the doors. 🚪

The food will be gone! The milk eggs and cheese! 😱
The yogurt! The apples! The green beans and peas! 🍎
The stores have run out, now what will we do? 😩
They’ll be starving and looting and nothing to do!☹️

Then they paused, and they listened a moment or two.
And they did hear a sound, rising over the fear,
It started out far, then began to grow near. 👍

But this sound wasn’t sad, nor was it new,
The farms were still doing what farms always do. ❤️

The food was still coming, though they’d emptied the shelves,
The farms kept it coming, though they struggled themselves,

Though the cities had forgotten from where their food came,
The farms made them food every day, just the same.
Through weather and critics and markets that fall,
The farms kept on farming in spite of it all. 👩‍🌾 🌱 🌽

They farmed without thank yous.
They farmed without praise.
They farmed on the hottest and coldest of days. 💪🏼

They’d bought all the food, yet the next day came more,
And the people thought of something they hadn’t before.

Maybe food, they thought, doesn’t come from a store.
Maybe farmers, perhaps, mean a little bit more. ❤️ 🐂🐄

#farming #covid19 #thankyou #farm #ag #agriculture

This is Busse's Barron Acres
Big or small
We raise them all🐂

Like all farms, we work 24/7
Proud to farm
Thank a farmer today by commenting below ❤️❤️❤️
God bless to all