The "What have you done today?" thread.

Had a day in so plodded on with the beams in the conservatory. Where getting new windows but the roof is sound so keeping that. The new window frames will be Brown wood effect on the outside and White on the inside hence painting ceiling beams. So sand down wash and the each one then 4 coats of paint. the top 2 need 16hrs between coats. So its taking time. Whats white is staying whats brown is being renewed.

20161127_175349.jpg

and the short days and cold are not helping. Not the best pic gets dark early here. Pic also only show half not started the other half yet.

rob

I mean, just look at the awful guttering that's been exposed by the demolition of the greenhouse!

This afternoon I went down to Wickes (UK equivalent of US Home Depot, I think) and got all the necessary bits for re-doing it.

They say there's no peace for the wicked ...

... and today I re-did it.  Well, about 80% of it.  Thank goodness the conservatory builder phoned this evening and said there would be a delay.  He's not coming tomorrow.  It's tuesday, now.

So I've got a bit more time to finish off the new guttering.

I'll only post a photo if I think I did a good enough job ...

Discovered today that the problem with the neutral power line into my house did a little more damage than I first thought. Today my computer started making snapping noises, so I imeadiately pulled out the power cord!

The power supply smelled burnt. I replaced it with my old supply, and the computer came up fine!

I'd just purchased the supply a couple of weeks ago (Ebay), and when informed, the seller refunded my money, no question, no return of the old supply.

... and today I re-did it.  Well, about 80% of it.  Thank goodness the conservatory builder phoned this evening and said there would be a delay.  He's not coming tomorrow.  It's tuesday, now.

So I've got a bit more time to finish off the new guttering.

I'll only post a photo if I think I did a good enough job ...

Whimp, you only want to show us your fabulous successes ;) (next time I do the same :D )

I started the first of 33 daily sessions of radiation therapy this afternoon on my right ear. A very unusual place to get cancer according to the ENT Surgeon who carried out two operations on me recently. Hopefully this will finish off anything that was missed  :)  At least I still have an ear although my earhole is now much larger :huh:,all the better to hear with methinks  :D  :D 

Dave  :dancetl6:

Hi All

davyboy hope all goes well.

Been plodding on with the painting of ceiling beams. Reached the half way mark. Now to swap ends and work towards the finished bit. This is so people can still use the front door with out getting paint on them.

Half%20way.jpg

am going good may be even get a chance to have a go on model today :o

rob

Thanks gentlemen for your likes and wishes,my fingers are crossed too :)

Ken,45 years of working on fixed and rotary winged aircraft doesn't do your hearing much good. Ear protection notwithstanding.

Rob,I love the view from your conservatory,it must be really beautiful in the summer.

Dave :dancetl6:

Ken,45 years of working on fixed and rotary winged aircraft doesn't do your hearing much good. Ear protection notwithstanding.

Dave :dancetl6:

Dave, I'm in the same boat. 28 years flying jets, (mostly turbojets) took out most of my high end hearing. And royally messed up my back from the G loads incurred while flying air combat maneuvering.

Wife came out of the house a couple of days ago and told me there was no water. Couldn't find anything wrong except for the lack of water but did discovered that the pressure tank bladder needed replacing. Yesterday I replaced some wiring that didn't look good along with the pressure switch and went back to discovery, no luck, everything checked out. Hollered uncle and called the local pump guy who showed up this morning, he found nothing wrong except for a lack of water, the pump was drawing the proper amperage so the assumption was the pump was working, triggering another scout for a broken pipe without finding a saturated area. Pulled the pump up about 5 feet and turned it on, a trickle was coming up the pipe. While pulling the pump found a hole 2 sections above the pump which I questioned that it could pass so much water, but the pump was down 245 feet maybe the pump guy was right, finished pulling the pump and everything was OK between the hole and pump so we replaced 3 sections of 2 1/2" steel pipe with pvc and stuffed it all back in the hole, tested and had water. Replaced the pressure tank so now the pressure is more stable. Wife's happy, we keep about 12 gallons of water for emergencies and we were getting close to needing a refill. Mules been fed, only some cleaning the ash from the pellet stove and I'll be snooping around for supper.

jud :pirate41:

Edited by jud

Brian, in a true emergency there is always the ability to drain the hot water heater and the well tank.  That should add up to another 50 gallons+.  How do I know...  Been there.  A few years ago our well head was hit by lightening on a Sunday.  We could not get a well installer for two days.

Rehearsed the guitar for two hours today.

Have two guitars, one acustic and one electric, the electric was meant for my son when he turned 13, never played it :P 

But it has a great sound so now I am learning to play at an age of half a century.

Drums are so much easier!

Rudiments in various way vs. finger setting on a fret-board. 

Inspected the yard and still finding yellow "flowers" in the grass - dandelions :huh: 

Now time for another yard, the fun one.

Per, when I was in my mid-20s, my brother taught me a picking scheme and I practiced it on one of his acoustic guitars all the time.  I only knew a few chords but the picking scheme made me sound like I actually knew how to play guitar.  I had people tell me I was really good.  HA! 

Almost 40 years later I decided to make my first guitar.  The Stratocaster was the "it" guitar when I was young so I made a Strat.  I thought I'd be playing it all the time.  But for some reason I just don't enjoy it like I did the acoustic.  I have two Strats I built and haven't picked either up in over a year.  I can't figure out why I don't have that attraction to playing like I used to. 

Got home from one of my odd jobs yesterday, and discovered the refrigerator had died!! 30 pounds of chicken went in the trash today, with about 2 gal of milk.

Have a friend that may be able to trade me for some handyman work, but I might not be able to get it for a couple days.

You'll have to mortgage your house, sell your youngest child, and steal some coin from Granny's piggy bank to buy a new refrigerator these days. Man, those things have become ridiculous expensive. I sure hope you can get yours fixed or else you'll be on a canned beany weeny and tuna fish diet for a while.

I have two Strats I built and haven't picked either up in over a year.  I can't figure out why I don't have that attraction to playing like I used to. 

For me at least, that old saying "you can't go home again"  turned out to be more than physical. There were several interests I had when younger, that I thought I would just pick up again when I retired. I did; for a while (guitar and astronomy), but the spark seemed to be gone, it was like "been there, done that".

A third one- programming and running a BBS on my Apple IIe is still fun, but in this case, the world has moved on, and there is no longer much user interest (I guess the internet happened). Now it mostly sits there, taking up table space and using electricty.

Fortunately, my interest in building ship models seems just as strong as ever. 

Sorry for the divergence into self-analysis. :)

Just hung round the house here bit more painting done. Also put got the Logs and some kindling for the fires and a few people called in.

20161204_102150.jpg

It was nice here so get some Kindling in for when its wet and cold and I cant be bothered chopping it.

20161204_102215.jpg

The log pile need enough for 2 log buners.

rob

Need your address, my wife is a 1st class arsonist. Have 3 fireplaces, bedroom, sitting room, living room she is cold natured and when the temp gets down to 50 she lights them off. Do you have any idea what it takes to keep them going, This time of year I do not have to get on the tread mill. Sadly she saw a picture of one of those outside fire bowls or what ever they are and wanted one. No way Jose get your lawyer you can have half the house adios I will be a memory.

If you hear a noise in the middle of the night in tour shed  it's me absconding with your wood ;) ;)