Yambo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

So glad things are looking positive for your Admiral, Mark.

Here in wet Wales, we've just laid in an order to have our existing conservatory knocked down, and a bigger, better, expensiver one erected in its place. Me, I look to the future and think how much better our life will be when it's done. The Admiral, however, worries herself sick wondering what she'll do with the cactus plants she's been nurturing in the old conservatory. And she worries about the diminution of the patio area that results from having space taken up by the new conservatory.

So ... maybe an extra little greenhouse? And/or an extra garden shed to accommodate all the junk there's always been there, cluttering up the old conservatory? Watch this space ...

Per, I'd so much rather be banging on the drums all day but I never honed that skill.  Instead I became an oxen.

DinRm_001.jpg

Terrazzo on this side, concrete that ain't level with the terrazzo on the far side.

DinRm_006.jpg

Old lady with Bulldog - concrete never had a chance...

DinRm_009.jpg

Okay, so my bones are rattled but at least that bump in the road is gone.

If I can get my SO off the phone, maybe we can get the level quick poured tonight.

Happy Sunday! :cheers:

Went to a birthday party today for my Mother-in-law. She turned 102 this past week. It is worth the over 700 mile round trip for this celebration. Also got to see the inlaw side of the family all who live in the area except a Grandson from Vancouver B.C.   Bill in Idaho, but right now in Seattle WA.

Not just today.. been re-decorating the inside of the house at the Admiral's direction.   This weekend I worked outside on the yard/garden by mowing the grass, putting down weed and feed fertilizer, and started fall cleanup.

On the important side of things  ;)   I finally unpacked the new mill and set it up.  I'm very pleased with it after just fiddling with it for an hour after I set it up.  Also back in the shipyard...   :)

I found a very reliable and competent yard man to keep up the maintenance on my lawn for a measly $60 per month. He comes by once a week, cuts, edges, and blows off the concrete drive and patio. And he hauls off the occasional limb that might fall. I can't even keep up the cost of my own equipment and maintenance for much less than that.  

I found a very reliable and competent yard man to keep up the maintenance on my lawn for a measly $60 per month. He comes by once a week, cuts, edges, and blows off the concrete drive and patio. And he hauls off the occasional limb that might fall. I can't even keep up the cost of my own equipment and maintenance for much less than that.  

Now that's an accomplishment!  Any time you can get someone to work in the Florida heat for that price, it's a good day.

Per, you need his yard man. ;)

Yesterday I patched some walls and painted on a primer in what will be our music room.

Now that's an accomplishment!  Any time you can get someone to work in the Florida heat for that price, it's a good day.

Per, you need his yard man. ;)

Yesterday I patched some walls and painted on a primer in what will be our music room.

All my life I worked in the Florida sun, heat, and humidity. Now that I don't have to, I don't when I don't feel like messing with it. We even went to school without the benefit of air conditioning and when I look back on that I wonder how the heck we did it. I recall all too well sweating all over my school paperwork and smudging it.  :(  Then there was football practice and close-outs in that same hot burning sun. It was murder.

Good to see the art isn't lost. There are still some draft horses used in the forests here. It seems it is better to use them for forestry than the large machinery. Can't imagine machines will be less practical for the grain though

The threshing bee was attended by about 200 people by guess. They had a barbeque ribs lunch. There were about six double teams of mules and the header team of course was six mules and then several teams of horses. There was also some old time mechanical equipment including a combine and tractor from the fifties all in working order,more or less. ALSo several tractors and trailers giving wagon rides.

We have these events in the spring too exhibiting horse drawn plows and equipment. It very interesting for me as I was raised on a farm in Montana in the 40s and 50s.

Throughout the summer we have many county and state fairs and rodeos exhibiting all sorts of breeds of cattle,sheep and horses plus competitions for garden produce ,farm produce and artwork plus all our famous decadent fair food which involves deep fried everything. Things such as deep fried bread,my favorite to deep fried butter, eeewww. not to mention hotdogs, burgers and deep fried potatoes known as french fries here.

Bill having a fair food frenzy in Idaho

The Norwegian Viking ship Draken Harald Harfagre docked at the Hudson River Maritime Museum in Kingston NY for a weekend visit before sailing on to NYC and Mystic Seaport. The Admiral and I took a deck tour this morning - lovely day except for the high heat and humidity but the ship was most interesting. I posted some of the photos I took here

Walked down 24 flights of stairs in my hotel in Manhattan yesterday as there was a fire scare and could not use the elevators.   This close to 9/11 made it all the more disconcerting.  Turned out OK in my hotel in the end, but gave me great pause regarding the anniversary tomorrow.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

Yesterday afternoon, I was crawling underneath the floors to get a cat5 cable from the front of the house to the garage. I'm going to install this
post-33-0-81636400-1473592710.jpg

without WiFi, I don't trust WiFi for it has a high security vulnerability. Thus I want to use PoE (power over ethernet). I'll be using this Ctronics 5-Port PoE Switch

post-33-0-91041500-1473593091.png

Plastering is finished

post-33-0-43118500-1473593887_thumb.jpg

today was an above the ground job, painting the upstairs room. The blue-ish wall (colour is aptly named Dolphin), I've replastered, the other walls are plaster board, which was considerably easier. Next clour to start with ivory, and after that a seccond coating - most likely ...

post-33-0-14456000-1473593946_thumb.jpg

I had some plaques that I’ve wanted to display, but have not had a safe place to hang them. Now that I have the display cases, I do. The display cases, however, did not have provisions for hanging stuff.

I decided to mount a piece of plywood at the top of the longer display case. I drilled a hole in each upright, and inserted a riv-nut, to allow me to use machine screws to mount the plywood. Riv-nuts are basically large pop-rivets, with a nut built in the back.

I also modified two standard shelf brackets to support the plywood, with the screws holding the plywood upright. I cut a ½”X1/2” notch in the brackets for the ply to sit in, and then shorted them, leaving about ½” of bracket past the notch.

I cut a piece of 3/8 plywood for the mounting surface. I found some discount paint that was a close match to the wall paint, and painted the plywood.

The results are shown below. The pictures are somewhat blurry, the best my phone could do.

The first photo is a partial shot of the plywood installed.

The second picture shows two half-hull plaques I have. The one on the left is, I believe a New Haven Sharpie. The one on the right is the Skipjack “Rosie Price”, a boat that has just been restored at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.

The third shows an award I won at a RC Warship Combat Nationals, and a replica T-Rex tooth my son Mathew bought me several years ago.

Why a T-Rex tooth with the ships? First because it is from my son, and I like dinosaurs. The second is that I have a 3 foot long T-Rex skeleton model to go below it.

post-10090-0-85026400-1473614895_thumb.jpg

post-10090-0-51707900-1473614942_thumb.jpg

post-10090-0-29595200-1473614950_thumb.jpg

Throughout the summer we have many county and state fairs and rodeos exhibiting all sorts of breeds of cattle,sheep and horses plus competitions for garden produce ,farm produce and artwork plus all our famous decadent fair food which involves deep fried everything. Things such as deep fried bread,my favorite to deep fried butter, eeewww. not to mention hotdogs, burgers and deep fried potatoes known as french fries here.   - reklein

Hey, Bill, were those french fries made from Idaho (Russet) potatoes?  Sounds yummy............

Jim

Edited by Uncle Si

Just a quiet day at home, reflecting on how our lives, my life, have changed. Remembering those lost, and those forever changed.

That day changed my life for sure. At the time on that day, worked as an operations chief for a US Army Major General. It began a long and arduous series of training, after training, certifications, and copious amounts writing of boring and detailed procedures manuals. After that, setting up and administering training for many hundreds of staff and line workers. Not for me because I retired, but it continues today. 

I'll put up a picture of the T-rex skeleton, when I finish it. I actually built it several years ago, but then had to pack it away. Over the years in the shed, the base warped, so I have to make a new one. At least the "bones" seem to have survived OK. Never had anywhere to display it before.

9/11 was a tough day for me. I was working in the NJ State Command Post (CP) in West Trenton when the first bird hit the World Trade Center. We were all stunned at first, but when the first NYC CP message came in, we reacted professionally. It turned into an extremely long day. There were a number of people, from outside the area, who wanted to go and gawk at the mess, but we had cordoned off lower Manhattan, at the NYC CP's request. Nobody went there except by request of the people already there. :(

The news at the Pentagon and in Shanksville, PA was troubling. I was ready to call up my old unit and volunteer for duty with them. :rolleyes:

Tried to do more work on my Bluejacket Portland yesterday but the events of the day took over. How

well I remember that day. The news videos brought it all home to me.

Spent most of today working on the model. Covered the paddle boxes and reviewed the various paint

ideas that I have. Will markedly depart from the colors suggested in the instructions.

Here's a recent photo.

John

post-15982-0-25766200-1473717764_thumb.jpg   

I told my brother in law about my car's front shaking when I drive.  He checked out my tires and my rims  Because of my condiion I am not able to do that kind of looking.  The rims were starting to fall apart and the tires were showing bare cord etc.  He did me a favor found me a new set of rims and I found a new set of tires.  I am very lucky that my car did not go in the ditch are crash when I went to Minnesota and Iowa City.  Now I hope that was the main problem.  

David B