newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

Wind update, my anemometer read 105 before it flew away......it was ripped from the post in the pasture. Last two days no wind, but cold. House at 56. Have a propane heater in the office keeping me warm. Time to heat some soup and tea.

Amazing evening with all the lights out, even the suns' reflection of the moon is to bright to disquince stars, while outside checking on the well-house and making sure temps are okay in there even though we don't have any running water. Now time for a night cap and reading the book 1812, The Navy's War by George C. Daughan

Sounds like one of those Generac emergency generators might be a home "improvement" idea. We've got one; it self tests once a week. We get ice storms that knock power out occasionally, for extended periods.

That's a long power outage Per. Hope you have a source of fresh water (not on a well pump). Of course the BBQ grill makes a great outdoor kitchen. 

We had a late April snow storm back in the late 1990's - heavy wet snow took down trees and power lines - outage lasted a full week - but we have municipal water so that was not a problem. But I can empathize with you. Not a fun situation.

Stay warm.

I can put this way, it could be worse at least the roof stayed on and no tree went into the house. Using the grill is our current cooking source. The side burner is great for heating water. One of the local credit unions offers "get it fixed" loan, covering tree removal ....and emergency generator at an amazing 2.5% APR. Considering a Generac generator.

No one believes this, but when I lived in the 'high country' in NW New Jersey (1,000 foot elevation), we had only 2 lane roads lined with trees and all the utilities were exposed on poles.  We'd routinely have 3-4 power outages per winter..... usually 1-4 days.  My best friend was my Honda generator.

Cheap insurance, those backup generators. Retrofitting may need a licensed electrician. You should size the generator to what appliances you really, really need. I'd have the well pump, furnace, fridge/freezer, some lighting circuits (kitchen/bath/utility spaces), water heater all on an emergency panel. You may also need a switch to cut yourself off from the power grid, for safety sake. Needed that in my last house, since I retrofitted the backup generator. This house uses an auto switch on the gen.

No one believes this, but when I lived in the 'high country' in NW New Jersey (1,000 foot elevation),

My wife grew up in those "woods"  - Sussex County - very familiar with the "high country"

Good morning all, from a cold house in Spokane, where we still don't have any power. Sun is shining and estimated temp for today is mid 30's. Admiral was re-fueling generator this morning and got more on the ground than in tank.

That's good news Doc!  :)

Jack - Get your shovel ready.  29 degrees and just 5" of the "white stuff" right here in Dearborn, but just a few miles north got 15-1/2", and it's headed your way.  :o  :P

Jack - Get your shovel ready.  29 degrees and just 5" of the "white stuff" right here in Dearborn, but just a few miles north got 15-1/2", and it's headed your way.  :o  :P

Send her down !   Unfortunately the Albany weather person says it's going to be deflected north !  :(

Yes, I was watching the late news last night about Chicago's record breaking November snow and the onslaught in Michigan. That's some total for this time in November.  Now if the river will just freeze over.  Awoke today to 41 F; weather guy says 54F for Thanksgiving....... :angry:

However, Buffalo and Rochester (NY) are forecasting heavy Lake Effect snow :P

Edited by Jack12477