newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

Geez, Per.  That's not good news.  We're all pulling for you and yours. Maybe we should earmark some of the $$$ we spend on communications technology to keep the country up and running?

Still snowing here.

post-202-0-13084700-1448384479_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-90947400-1448384479_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the county snowplow wont leave a windrow across my driveway, they are really hard to clear. I almost have to stand in the middle of the road to make them think as they come round the road, the thing is there are no driveways on the other side of the road.

Michael

We didn't get our promised snow this morning... just rain. Then sunny skies.  And now... it's a mix of sleet, snow and hail and cars running into each other and off the road as the drivers suddenly realize what is falling.  And no, the streets aren't slick as I was just out running an errand in it.   Since a certain weather website didn't name it, I am...  this storm is Charles Ulmer Farley*.  

*Old name I picked from the days of the National Lampoon magazine.   I think it's appropriate.

Now we have snow, it's not much but enought to scare some drivers. And giving me the "hick ups" due to their driving.

Tell me about it.  As I was leaving the clinic yesterday a driver in a truck slid through a red light and almost smashed my car but was stopped by the police car that slid into it.

David B

Isn't it amazing that all these people that grew up in, and still live in snow-belts, forget how to drive in it from one year to the next?  :D

George, you sound like my Father - that's his comment beginning of every winter in Rochester - 1st snow and they all have to learn to drive all over again.  He just laughs :D

Born and raised in Michigan, I was visiting my son in Fort Hood Texas. BIG ice storm, all over the news. Dallas to Austin Tx highway is nothing but ice! Please stay off the road the were urged. Showed cars everywhere but the roads.

So, off I went for a ride to see for myself. Only ice was the black ice under the overpasses. Each and every time. Driver see's ice, hits breaks, goes careening off the road. MAN, did my sides hurt from laughing.

I grew up in Sweden learning driving the difficult way, with snow and ice.

Taking driving lessons in Sweden is very different from USA.

In Sweden you have to learn driving on slick surfaces..... it's demanded by the Swedish version of D.O.L

I am surprise how a winter has to relearn drivers over and over again.

It should be like riding a bicycle .... once you learn it, it should be in your marrow... :pirate41:

Speaking for myself, during the winter months here in MI, my father taught me how to handle a car on a frozen lake. But I agree, everybody should learn to drive in different road conditions, especially immigrants who were never exposed to winter weather before. 

Crackers,

That's not a good omen for me, as I am currently in Seattle area (drove over from Spokane, Tuesday) only on traction tires with a lightweight car (read Mazda 3)...... have to get back to Spokane by Sunday.

Or maybe I should find a new home over on this side, which I like very much.......... ;)  :) ..... but then a quick new home along with a new job... "sigh"... and all my workshop items are on the wrong side.... that along with Admiral and dogs/cats.

Since a certain weather website didn't name it,

You mean it's not Cara - as in Cara Mia ;) ;)

Mark, looks like that weather website is a tad slow on the up-tick (either that or we didn't wait long enough for them to catch up) but they are now blaming it on winter storm Cara - see http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-storm-cara-arctic-blast-snow-west-plains-november-2015  :angry::(   But I prefer your "named storm" to theirs.

It's supposed to be a balmy 60 F here on Thursday - at least the Macy's parade goers won't freeze to death ;) Right now it's 29 F (up from 23 F at day break)

Edited by Jack12477

Crackers, I think you meant South East Oregon.  

Meh... I'm in SW Oregon.. nada yet at lower elevations.   We get to use studs or chains when going gets bad.  I've not had a problem except from 4WD vehicles and cars and both seem to originate from the state south of us... go figure.  

I always did a "refresher"... first snow, go find a parking lot and put the car through so starts/stops and maneuvers.  It's also fun to go sliding across a parking lot.

Mark, I used to do test stops and starts to get an idea of what I was getting into. I remember going to work on the expressway several winters ago and was doing about 40MPH.  The reason was traction and control.  I hugged the right lane as many drivers passed me.  An idiot in a black trans-am passed me then cut me of to take an off ramp.  He lost control over shot the ramp and careened into cars waiting for a green light.  I had enough control to come to a clean stop.  It was a 3 hr. wait as the mess was cleaned up.

David B