Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

Justsayrow: Here's a photo looking up the Esopus Creek from the Hudson River and Lighthouse deck - if you enlarge the image you can see the other "black hull" the 65 ft ice-breaking harbor tug CGC Wire at her dock at the local USCG AtoN station.  To the right and astern of her is a houseboat moored at the bulkhead.

post-13502-0-80616200-1425516688_thumb.jpg

Mark, I love it !  But where did you get the snow for the little snow-person ? I thought you were having a drought and it was all dumping on us Easterners ! :D

Yes, Enough with the snow ! The [moderate] cold can hang on for a while - we still have ice and maybe just maybe we can saturate the snow cover and produce some ice before the big thaw.

The weather clowns on that cable channel are saying that Thor survived his encounter with our Headless Horseman and is now ravishing the nations Capitol ! All the morning News channels in NYC are broadcasting a major snow event for NYC and Long Island this morning - about an inch in the last hour (7-8 AM)  That's okay ! I'm 100 miles north of the Snow Globe and it is a mere 28 (dropped to 27 a minute ago), cloudy and NO SNOW ! :dancetl6:

I guess the Coast Guard is rotating their cutters thru the Hudson Valley for some ice training. Yesterday we had the Thunder Bay from Rockland ME, also saw that the 2 ocean going Juniper class bouy tender CGC Elm from Morehead City NC was moored at West Point and last week CGC Willow from Newport RI was operating around Kingston - both of these bouy tenders have ice breaking capabilities. Our normal contingent is the CGC Sturgeon Bay and CGC Penobscot Bay both home ported in Bayone NJ assisted by the CGC Wire home ported here in Saugerties. Occasionally the CGC Hawser and CGC Line will relieve the CGC Wire.

The latest Coast Guard aerial photos are posted at http://www.hriyc.org/2015-03-03%20Ice%20Flight.pdf

Well, well NY is complaining about a mere inch of snowfall in an hour!!! Wayne has had over 300 this 'winter' ...

Mark I love that cotton snow man, or did you get a snow machine in to produce enough of the white stuff so you could play ;)

Jack,

Fortunately the lighthouse keeper keeps he track clear, otherwise you would be digging for you Corgi, and possibly your admiral ...

Local Dutch weather: This morning slight frosting, had to clear it off the car windscreen. Again NO SNOW!! Bummer, you guys have all the fun ... :) Day time temp 5 - 6 C No rain either ... :)

Carl, NY City whines about an inch of snow per hour. We "upstaters", as the city folk call us, are more hearty souls! We laugh at it ! :dancetl6:  I was complaining about too much snow because it has literally wiped out our season for ice boating so far. All this fantastic ice and no place to sail.

In times past I used to trudge thru those drifts without the aid of a snowblower. In the first picture from the shore you can see the ice sheet - we can easily walk along that sheet - even in high tide the water under that ice is no more than waist deep it's a mud flat, hence the lighthouse. If you look at the Coast Guard's aerial photos of the river at Saugerties you can see the "track" that marks the channel. With the hard crust on the top of that snow the Corgi could easily "walk on water" ;) (frozen that is).

Right now it is overcast - no sun all day - temp is 23 F - no snow either - it's all down south. The temp has dropped 5 degrees since morning. Your temps sound like a heat wave to us right now.

Edited by Jack12477

Carl, last winter we got ice on the river early just like this year. Then we got 2 snow storms - 1st one dumped 15 inches; 2nd one dumped an additional 18 inches - but by March 1st (2014) all that snow had saturated out and frozen over into a nice thick layer of snow-ice on top of a very thick layer of "black" ice, enabling us to host the largest gathering of ice yachts in recent memory.  This year (2015) we got drips and drabs of snow (1 inch here, 2 inches there, 4 inches again, then 5 inches, etc) but the air temps never got above 32 F (freezing) since January - so all that snow never saturated out and refroze. Now we have about 12 inches of snowpack sitting on about 1.5 to 2 feet of hard ice - snow, sleet, and rain this week has put a new crusty layer on the snowpack in the Hudson Valley. A few days of cold weather will follow, but next week the weather is forecast to turn warmer and the real melting will begin. We may completely miss out on any sailing of all this ice. Once it gets soft, we cannot sail on it -- it will rapidly thin under the warm sun and the high volume of the spring runoff -- and then it will be gone. 

So there is much disappointed here in the valley. :(

Edited by Jack12477

Hello from sunny Palm Coast, Florida.  Last two days we had 83 F, that's on the plus side  :)  Been very busy pruning, cutting down overgrown bushes - - - in shorts and shoes.  Need the vitamin D you know.  Been sweating my rear end off and I'm loving every minute of it.

However, we are supposed to get some cooler weather moving in, 60s or so, brrrrrrr.

Cheers,

Jack,

Sorry to hear you may miss out on your skating expedition. Here in the Netherlands we prefer the black ice. That refrozen snow stuff is the worst case scenario for skating. You just can't make any speed on that. When skating it's like wallking in sand, besides it can ruin you skates.

We don't try to ice skate on it either, Carl. But the "skates" on the boats weigh in at about 100 pounds (US) each and are made of cast iron beveled to 45o angle - at that weight and with their speed. the snow ice makes little difference. However, the snow ice becomes almost as hard as black ice. I will see if I have any close-up pictures of one of the boat's runners and post it later.

UPDATE: Carl, if you look at these two photos, you will get an idea of the size of these runners ("skates")  It's cast iron imbedded in oak .

post-13502-0-51367900-1425679730_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-89703700-1425679734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jack12477

Jack,

How much does an ice yacht weigh :o :o :o :o :o At least I start to understand you need some ice before you "pull them out of the moth balls" :(

We have a fat chance to get such a vehicle on the move. Today was a regular heat wave: sunny and 7 C.

Carl, It depends on the boat - for example the Jack Frost our largest boat at 50 feet in length weighs approximately 2,000 pounds or 1 US ton. The Vixen a lateen rigged boat of 39-40 feet in length weighs approximately 900 pounds (US), a couple of others weigh in between 400-600 pounds (US). I think the smallest stern-steerer weighs around 300.  The more modern DN and Arrow class boats could be transported on the roof of a car.  Generally, we will not put any but the smallest boats (DN or Arrow) on the ice until it is at least 9-10 inches and the largest boats require at least 12-13 inches. A single runner on one of the boats weighs 100 pounds.

This past weekend the 50 foot ice yacht Rocket capsized while sailing in NJ - it took 20 people to get her right side up. Generally, it takes about 6-8 people to carry the boat, disassembled, onto the ice and about 1-2 hours to get a boat completely setup on the ice and ready to sail. The more "hands" the faster it gets done.

Here's a graphic from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources which shows the typical ice safety guidelines (which probably are universal to ice every where):

2012%20Ice%20Card%20Front%20600%20dpi.jp

Edited by Jack12477

Jack,

That big sucker must be fun to sail. The moving to and from the ice, and the setting up is a bit of nucance, but hey, if you want to have some fun, you heve to do something for it. Seems I need to come to you or MIchael Mott for some ice sailing.

Nowadays we seldom even get to ice fishing level :( Today, e.g, it is above 10 C sunny, and I could do some work in the garden, which hasn't got the 'got out of winter' look, but more a 'have been dosing and you woke me up before winter even started' look ...

Jack,

That big sucker must be fun to sail. The moving to and from the ice, and the setting up is a bit of nucance,

There are only a few club members with the sailing skills to handle the Jack Frost and I am not one of them. I have sailed on her many times as a passenger and it is a lot of fun. The power of the boat is amazing and impressive.  Some years back club members took her up to Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire for a sail; using GPS they clocked her at 80 MPH (128.75 KPH).

Generally speaking once we move the boats to the ice and set them up we leave them on the ice until conditions force us to remove them. We pull them into a protected cove, place saw horses under the runners to keep them from freezing into the ice, put protective canvas over the sails, booms, etc. and just park them on the ice. No one has ever bothered or vandalized our boats.

I don't know if I mentioned this but all of these boats are between 130 and 150 years old (1865-1890); this year marks the 130th Anniversary of the founding of our club.

Edited by Jack12477

Crackers, it seems that you and I are each having a terrible winter - you for the lack of snow to go skiing and me for too much snow covering a frozen river for ice boating. :angry::(  I would be happy to send you some of our snow if I could figure out how to scrape it off the river and send it your way :P

P.S - It's 28F now - forecast high 38F - clear blue skies with a full moon tonight also - overnight low 25F - Tomorrow's high will be 42 F.

Edited by Jack12477

If you think you've got too much snow, then read about this poor guy in Copenhagen New York State not Denmark.  21 feet !

http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/03/snowiest_place_in_america_tug_hill_lake_ontario_upstate_new_york.html

Update: Check out the pictures of the Lake Ontario "Lunar landscape" of ice:

http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/03/ice_steadily_forming_on_lake_ontario_as_cold_winter_refuses_to_leave.html

Who really has the most snow in the United States?

Lewis County's village of Copenhagen: 256.2 inches.

One thing is clear: New York state is really the snow state of the nation this winter, coming in with 7 of the top 10 snow totals reported.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/03/us_snow_totals_for_winter_who_has_the_most_snow_search_any_state.html

Edited by Jack12477