newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

Last Thursday the manager at our vacation home in Door County called and suggested that since we have about three feet of snow on our roof up there, we should contact someone to shovel it off before we get any more!  Got a quote of $150 from someone we have had do maintenance like this for our unit before and told us that he has already done 34 of the units there this winter. 

Down here we just got a measly six more inches since the last ten inch snowfall over the weekend.   Seems that since Jan. 2nd we were about 40 inches below average, however we are currently about 40 inches above average!  Oh but wait, another storm is expected to roll in for this weekend.  How could the groundhog even see his shadow from under all that snow?  I hope all the people who were complaining about the lack of snow earlier are happy now!

Edited by BETAQDAVE
typo

last 5 days light rain fog, light rain fog, overcast light rain fog, overcast light rain fog. Thought I was on the pacific coast.

Lo and behold a light norther blew threw previous evening I am looking at a blue sky and I think the yellow orb is the sun:)

7 hours ago, Moxis said:

In northern Finland the outside temperature was rising almost 42 degrees celcius within 24 hours, from -35.1to +6.5. This is a record of all times here. 

🤯

The latest storm system turned into a real hodge-podge of mixed weather.  It came in first on Saturday morning as freezing rain that soon became about an inch of just rain, then back to freezing rain until it decided to become heavy fog accompanied with a little over an inch of snow overnight. 

The rain was the worst of it since most of the street drains were still buried under hard packed snow leaving the rain no place to go.  Our snowplows around here can't seem to plow up to the gutters, much less the curbs!  Today the temps dropped again and all those ponds of water in the streets became ice ponds.  We also have sustained winds of 35 MPH with gusts of over 55 MPH today just to spread that snow around enough to need shoveling of the drifts again. 

At least the heaviest snow went north of us here, although I would much prefer just snow over what we received.  (snow can be shoveled a lot easier than ice)

Same thing here,Dave,only the heavy snow went to the north & west of me.  Now I have a large "speed bump" at the end of my driveway where the plows piled it up. They plowed before it got too cold & it`s now one big lump of ice & would need a jackhammer to break it up:angry:. I have lived here all my life & can`t remember a February like this.  Oh,by the way,we are supposed to be below zero again by next weekend - what a nice start to March!!!

Mark 

Got this video this morning from my daughter of Lake Erie ice slab being blown up over the break-wall after the ice boom in the Niagara River broke.  Scroll down the article for the video. Buffalo NY was experiencing wind gusts up to 75 MPH yesterday according to the NEWS reports, had to cancel all flights in and out of the airport.  Saw similar photos of ice piling up onto parts of the Niagara Parkway in Fort Erie Ontario, Canada

Most of the brunt of the storm missed us, went way north. But starting to get some minor wind gusts as I type this post.

Well,next Sunday is the 3rd of March.  Normal high is low 40`s,normal low is low 20`s.  Predicted high next Sunday is 7F. Low next Sunday night is predicted to be  -9F:(.  Just can`t get a break from the cold.  Those global warming experts should come live here for a few weeks!!

Mark

1 hour ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday everyone.

If only I could send  you guys in the States 10 or so degrees, Celsius that is.

We have 4 days in a row forecast at 35 Celsius, approximately 95 Fahrenheit.

Hoping you can all stay warm and safe.

Mark.

What's the humidity index that goes along with that heat, Mark? Our most uncomfortable weather in the summer in the state I live is the heat along with high humidity. That humidity can be stifling at times.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:21 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

At least the heaviest snow went north of us here, although I would much prefer just snow over what we received.

Maybe I'll revise my statement a bit after hearing about the 134 vehicle chain reaction pileup near Neenah WI yesterday in whiteout conditions. 

Gidday CDW.

The Humidity is all over the place, so is the temperature.

15 degree minimum with 96 % Humidity to 35 with 40 % Humidity.

The high humidity plays havoc with my breathing.

Looks like another week stuck indoors.

Is cabin fever a possibility in hot conditions or is it only when snowbound?

Everyone stay safe and warm.

Mark.

3 hours ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Pensacola Bob was spot on with the early spring prediction h

If you are that unseasonably warm this early in the year I wonder what your summer is going to be like?

We are so far running on the colder and dryer side for this time of year, but nothing in the pacific northwest stays stable for long so who knows what it will be in a week let alone by summer. It is not unknown for us to have full days of pouring rain in June.

Finally a good snow storm here in the valley.   Been snowing all day and it's a heavy wet snow that melted as it hit the ground until a couple of hours ago.  Up in the mountains and passes it's a different story... heavy coverage.   Here's a pic from the 2nd floor balcony (I'm on the 2nd and 3rd floor while the 1st are one-bedroom apartments.   It is supposed to snow all night and most of the day tomorrow with heavy accumulation here.   I'm doubtful but we'll see.

DSCF3025.thumb.JPG.d6a9034393a7dcb6af651ed66483c9da.JPG

Apparently we are expecting the return of another polar vortex this weekend.  Can't get rid of the ice that we already have.  This seems to be the year of the  icicle, as just about every house around here has them.  Case in point, this one is about five foot long on the back of our house.

100_5358.thumb.JPG.aa6d5816567e60c2d6f8988e8d949d7e.JPG

When they drop they end up sticking out of the snow banks like these.

100_5362.thumb.JPG.fdda38fad4b8a732421339fbdc322aa6.JPG

We have some around here that reach all the way to the ground.

Dave, I would go out and knock the icicles down, before they do any damage to structure or even worse hurting someone.
On my side I have beautiful sunny day, temp at 26°F, but windy.
Went outside to take care of ice on the driveway, had my assistant Murphy (my dog) along with me.
He got bored and decided it was time for the two of us to go for a walk.
Once back home he had some water and curled up on the bed and fell asleep.
This winter is extreme for our area, working towards the farmer, they are hoping this will be over in the next week.

Well, it looks like some of the bad characteristics of spring are starting to crop up early this year.  Just ask the victims of the recent tornados in Alabama.  Was hoping to have a slow year in the violent storm out breaks this year, but unfortunately their increase in number and severity is seen as just another effect of climate change.  (I could say more, but don't want to get into what some would view as an inflammatory topic.)

Well, temps reached the 60's (F) this week.  Only problem is WI still has a vast area of deep snow right now and a frost depth of around thirty inches.

All that means is we have large areas of the state turning into lakes again.  Several towns have the urban flooding and many roads are under water.  Until we get rid of the frost, the water has no place to go.  That includes my back yard again.  The water level is almost up to the house with the sump pump earning its keep.  The only problem is that it sucks up the water and pumps it back into the yard.  Not enough pipe to reach up to the street and several neighboring yards also drain into our yard.  Starting to wonder now if I need to put in a french drain the way it floods the past few springs.