Byrnes Saw Auction - See in Naut General Discussion ×
newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

Anything you can do against the health issues, besides keeping your breath? Smokes seems to pass through all nooks and crannies, which makes it rather hard to keep it outdoors only. Stay safe

Not a current weather event but last spring a tornado passed by a little less than a 1/4 mile away and deposited a half of a porta potty in my front yard. As far as I know, the only construction site with those around here is about 3 miles away.

The fortunate part (aside from not getting directly hit by that thing) is it was the top half and not the bottom half 🤣 that landed.

Bob

It's 10:19 PM here in Boynton Beach Florida.  77 degrees F (25C) and clear.  Tomorrow mostly sunny, high of 84 F (29 C).  Almost winter!

I was up in NYC for Thanksgiving weekend last week and had to brush 3" of snow off of the rental car on Tuesday morning.

6 hours ago, leclaire said:

Not a current weather event but last spring a tornado passed by a little less than a 1/4 mile away and deposited a half of a porta potty in my front yard. As far as I know, the only construction site with those around here is about 3 miles away.

The fortunate part (aside from not getting directly hit by that thing) is it was the top half and not the bottom half 🤣 that landed.

Bob

Tornados are nothing to mess with.  Decades ago I lived in southern Ohio and we like 7 roll though within a two hour time frame.  Serious damage from the Ohio River up past Dayton.   Two years after the storms they found a boat (about a 20 footer if I recall rightly) stuck in a tree near Cleveland.

7 hours ago, MEDDO said:

that's what we call Xenia.

Yeah... the one in 72 (I think) was the worst..... very bad day I posted about it here:  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/4455-weather-report-post-your-significant-weather-past-or-present/?do=findComment&comment=670275    I have relatives and friends who still live there and have been lucky.

Not quite sure if this counts as weather but here's a view from my veranda yesterday at 11.15 am 

DSCF4134.thumb.JPG.48f7c55c7bf6172ffcbcf1f03ff55e35.JPG

I'm about 250 km south of the bushfires and the wind is enough to blanket us with smoke. We're pretty safe here but I just hope the rest of our Australian members can say the same.

Rick😢

We're right in the middle of the Sydney suburbs, so no worries for us as far as fire safety goes, but the smoke haze we've been experiencing has been pretty bad.  It's been as high as eleven time the official 'Hazardous" level a few times, so stay indoors and keep the air conditioning running.  We have friends down the coast we haven't heard from since the fire storm the other day.  Hopefully it's just because all the power and telecommunications in the area have been taken out by the fires.

John

Not something to like John. I heard Pat is getting some smoke residues, and in Canberra it's no fun either.

Stay safe

Love to send some rain too...…. if we had any.

Had a sunny beautiful day with temp in mid 55's F (12.5° C) now at 38°F (3.3°)

But it sure was windy. Beaufort 5 from West didn't make the most pleasant when walking outside against the wind.

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I'd love to be able to send some our rain to you guys down in Oz.  You need it worse than we do.

I agree with Mark. We have plenty to spare here right now. Only wish we could send it south a little, where you guys need it so bad.

Smoke from the bushfires had the air quality in Canberra today at over 3,000 - that’s 15 times the “hazardous” level. At least the fires themselves haven’t reached us........yet. Some more moderate conditions forecast over the next few days, which should help the firefighters out some. A little rain is forecast, but not much for the actual fire grounds at this stage. The airlines have stopped all flights in and out of Canberra. Postal services have been suspended. And a lot of visitor attractions have been closed due to danger from smoke inhalation. Residents have been advised to stay indoors whenever possible. The smoke has now been with us for over a month, with no end in sight at this stage. I just hope the firefighters are able to continue their magnificent efforts and bring the fires under control soon.

Hi Grant, Wow 15 times the hazardous level! We had smoke here last summer from the BC fires and it ruined our summer the smoke smelled awful. I was in the sauna at the swimming pool and the temp was 47c inside the sauna, I cannot imagine the temp being 49c outside that is life threatening! It is forecast to be -20 here by the end of the week currently -11c. my Brother is in Adelaide.

Stay safe.  

Michael

By contrast,we here in North central Idaho,south eastern WA. had a relatively fire free summer and a mild winter so far. Was actually 50 F yesterday and sunny with a breezes. You guys in Australia take care.Although we are 400 miles from the coast our weather is greatly affected by the ocean.

Perfect sauna temp for people from Sweden and Finland is between 70 - 90° C, with a couple percent of humidity.  

On the other hand you don't wear anything, and you can escape to a cooler area just opening a door. 

Best sauna experience is when the unit is located within a few steps of a frozen lake, so you can immerse yourself into a cut upen  pool from the ice.

Not going to like your post, Grant.  I hope you stay safe and indoors. And I hope the weather cooperates and starts to dump some rain on you down there.

I'm glad to report that we've finally heard from our friends down the coast.  Their little community is still cut off following the New year's Eve Fires, but they're OK and their house survived.  Not sure how long it will take them to recover from the trauma.  This is a part of their brief message to friends to let us all know they are safe where they describe the fire:

New year's eve was indescribable the fire storm even though we had prepared ourselves was nothing that can be put in words, the flames, the heat, the smoke, the embers, the incredible noise it made. The wild animals on fire screaming, birds falling out of the sky. Around 90 houses completely gone. Three people know deceased. People drove their cars into the Lake to escape the flames and heat. Hundreds of cars have been incinerated. Aluminium boats melted like wax.

John

On 1/5/2020 at 9:47 AM, Nirvana said:

Perfect sauna temp for people from Sweden and Finland is between 70 - 90° C, with a couple percent of humidity.  

On the other hand you don't wear anything, and you can escape to a cooler area just opening a door. 

Best sauna experience is when the unit is located within a few steps of a frozen lake, so you can immerse yourself into a cut upen  pool from the ice.

???   90 degrees C ....?? ... that's not far from the boiling point.  Can't even begin  to imagine the discomfort at such levels.............

John,

I hope that things improve.  I'm hearing that it's been raining some parts of the fire areas and put them out.   I hope the rain spreads....