newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

Mark, there's been some rain, but only very light - not enough to stop the red monsters we have here at the moment.  No real rain in the offing, either! :(

John

This was Canberra Aust. At 1am Sunday morning, not fog but bushfire smoke from the adjoining state poor buggers. Smog rating was 999 (as high as the instruments go) where 50 or below is healthy. Respirators are a must when outside. 

long bushfire season to go. 

D601C529-BC4A-429A-8D09-7592E6330282.jpeg

C4A2D006-BF53-4595-B9B3-D7D41192891A.jpeg

While it is still possible to safely see where you are going, it is amazing how you guys are managing your daily lives under those breathing conditions! It must be exhausting.  

Although your dry season fires in Australia are a yearly occurrence, you seem to be having an exceptionally bad year.  On our west coast here there are many fires that get out of control every season, but judging by the maps I've seen of the area involved in fires down there right now, ours was far less widespread.   The latest figures I've seen for this season is already just shy of 18 million acres down there, while the 2019 record in California was a mere 1 million acres.  And like here, there are even idiots setting some of them. 

The most alarming thing about your fires that I can see is that this is only the beginning of your dry season.  I've even seen some reports that say some of the fires are so intense that they have created their own lightning storms, much like that created by volcanic eruptions! 

It seems to me, that global warming is fast becoming far more than an unproven theory.  Since the scope and impact of natural disasters like the fires, floods and major storms around the world keep growing more and more extreme every year.  Not to mention the minor (???) fact that there continues to be a vast reduction of the polar ice caps and mountain glaciers worldwide causing the subsequent rise of the level of the oceans.  Some of the worlds island countries will soon cease to exist and major population centers on the coasts will be underwater.

Perhaps there could be a silver lining to your fires if they manage to light a fire under our world leaders to acknowledge the problem and do something now before it's too late.  Try to keep your chin up as they say, and pray that that is so, if not for us, for the future of our children….I’m just say’n.

On the news here, it was said that some (if not all) fires were lit ... not much natural spontaneous combustion ... and hardly an incentive to some of the countries' leaders to return to their wits and work against global warming

Not images to like I would say, and as Lou wrote, for us it is unimaginable to comprehend how you lot manage your daily lives ... in any way. Even after the last has been dozed, you will most probably still be confronted for a long time by the smoke's stench ...

7 hours ago, cog said:

On the news here, it was said that some (if not all) fires were lit ... not much natural spontaneous combustion ... and hardly an incentive to some of the countries' leaders to return to their wits and work against global warming

Not images to like I would say, and as Lou wrote, for us it is unimaginable to comprehend how you lot manage your daily lives ... in any way. Even after the last has been dozed, you will most probably still be confronted for a long time by the smoke's stench ...

Last I heard, they arrested 24 people this week which brings the total to something like 400.  Some getting charged for intentional, some for careless smoking, and some for just being plain stupid and doing things like fireworks or campfires.   This is very much a tragedy.  

Yes, a lot of people have been deliberately lighting fires, but there have also been a lot caused by lightning strikes and by burning embers being blown miles in front of the fires.  We've also had a few looters, but by and large the response of ordinary citizens to the crisis has been overwhelming - charities and relief agencies have been inundated with donations of all kinds to help the fire victims.

John

We are in the middle of a serious cold snap these were common 50 years ago but not as long or often theses days. equally dangerous for anyone outside.

1086456983_Captureweather.JPG.ef4f805f5e4135d1ffe2edc713b2faf3.JPG

Looks like it will be a bit better by this time next week.

Michael

Bill 32F would seem absolutely balmy here that would only be 0C here it is -29.2F when I first moved to Canada 50 years ago I remember we still used the Fahrenheit scale and there were days in Calgary that dropped to -40F so things are certainly changing.

Michael

Out here on the coast we are also in the low 30s and it is presently snowing even though we have nothing like 4.8 inches. But for us life comes to a sudden stop if the grass gets white! the kids are home from school for the second day, the streets are pretty much empty of cars and all i saw on my dog walk this morning was others walking their dogs and signs that at least a few kids were out and about playing in the snow.

image.png.0cd670400ab815507718481b4e2bf94e.png

image.png.f85a3df71c61caf7341e26748c38bead.png

image.png.8aa70d9e72a07a8c63ddef6ccef4b3c4.png

image.png.d57f7a193e7f47d573704fc1396f2655.png

Took these this morning after walking the dog. it was snowing big flakes when I was doing the walk but bu the time I could get back and go out for the pictures it had changed into small flakes that you can't see in the pictures. 

I personally enjoy the look of everything and the quiet as the snow soaks up all of the normal city noises.

Snow all around us down here in southern Oregon.  Mountains and high hills have a lot of it.  Down here (which is at 1800 ft) we're getting flurries and mostly rain.  But that's ok as along as we get the snow pack in the mountains.  

3 hours ago, michael mott said:

-38C this morning with ice fog and wind chills at -44C, this is not pleasant!

Michael

I can’t comprehend those temperatures. Stay warm somehow!

a balmy 12ºC, no rain for a change.  Average temperatures are 5º above normal. I think I'll pass on moving to Canada, maybe a summer's holiday.

RAIN!

We're now into our second day of rain here in Sydney and we've been promised more to come.  It's not drought breaking, but it's extremely welcome and as the rain fronts are sweeping up the east coast some of the worst fire grounds are at least being dampened down.

John

As an update on the above, our Channel 9 News last night had an item with a video clip of an 18month old boy on a rural property at Scone, in the upper Hunter Valley running around out in the rain in absolute wonder - it was the very first time he had ever experienced rain!!

John

Well I bet Imagnas snow status has changed. My daughter works for sno homish pud in Monroe and the folks east of her are getting hammered on up to Stevens pass.Road is closed and the villages up along hiway 2 are running out of fuel and firewood etc. No gas cause the stations don't have generators and stuff like that. Michael, I used to feed my uncles cows in the winter in the late 60s and it was that cold then. Not fun to be out in but the cows appreciated the water and feed. They can survive amazing cold if they have feed and water. Weather here has been up to 40 F today rain anad more snow are expected tonite.

I agree with Carl.  I hope they can run in the rain for a few more days.

We got snow last night here on the valley floor (finally!).  Not much, around 2-4 inches on the ground this morning but temps rose and what was falling turned to rain.  A little bit left on the ground still.  Might be more as the rain isn't going away for awhile and lows are in the lower 30's for the near future.

3 hours ago, reklein said:

Well I bet Imagnas snow status has changed

You got it Bill. Today all the snow is gone here. Yesterday it was almost impossible to drive a few blocks here in town. The roads were almost pure ice! They opened highway 2 today even though you still have to have chains up there. At least the small towns up there are able to get supplies now.

Looks like we will be back to our normal rainy weather fro the next week. Extreme weather never hangs around here for long. 

Well, adding to the snow story.

My area around Tri-cities, WA has got the snow too, not much but enough for some people to think their 4-wheel drive vehicles are the king on the road. And sure enough, those are the ones being seen in single accidents.

Temp is around 28F and it's slushy out there. The new location where we have our new house (signing final paperwork tomorrow) will have 55 on Sunday.  This still in WA.

Looking forward to be deciding when I want the snow, not the other way around. 

Karma in action with many of the 4-wheel drive types.  In the passes here, they'd fly around you and then a mile or so down the road, they're in a ditch or well off the road and in the trees.  

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

they'd fly around you

I would not mind them doing that so much as like you say, sooner or later it seems like they loose it and get their due. But when they go by that fast when the snow on the road is slush, it flys up onto the passed vehicle's windshield and almost always freezes and the wipers will not get it off!:angry: 

6 hours ago, lmagna said:
8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

they'd fly around you

I would not mind them doing that so much as like you say, sooner or later it seems like they loose it and get their due. But when they go by that fast when the snow on the road is slush, it flys up onto the passed vehicle's windshield and almost always freezes and the wipers will not get it off!:angry:

They drive that way up here too and the roads are really icy and stay that way for days, buses and vehicles were having a hard time on a couple of steep hills out of our river valley yesterday and blocking traffic. When the road are so cold the sanders have little effect and the folk who think that flooring the accelerator at icy sections helps, mostly at intersections simply polish the intersection more. At the extreme cold temps the graders and snow removal stay off the road because even the graders have trouble because metal breaks finally warmed up a bit to -27C this morning, I can feel the difference, still bloomin' cold though.

Michael

Edited by michael mott