newbuilder101

Weather Report - post your significant weather - past or present

Sounds like is is time to take a vacation in Mexico Mike. Just like the fires in Australia, I don't know how people breath in air like that let alone get around! Try and keep warm until Spring, it is only 62 days 14 hours away!

Edited by lmagna

It's 16 F ( -9C) here this morning with high winds - gusts up to 52 mph - had to listen to the neighbor's garbage totes being blown down the street all night last night.  Forecast is up to 6 inches of snow tonight thru tomorrow (Sat) night.  Windchills are -3F (-19C) today into tomorrow.  Of course I will believe the snowfall amounts when I see it - last several storms with significant snowfall amounts have completely missed us leave NO SNOW whatsoever. :(

Doesn't look like we will  be iceboating anywhere in the Hudson Valley this winter, unless we get a deep deep freeze of long duration soon. 

Edited by Jack12477

Jack, I forgot you were one of those Snow Birds that flock TO the cold and then go outside to play in it! I bet that if the water was hard enough 52 MPH winds would really give you a ride!

25 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I bet that if the water was hard enough 52 MPH winds would really give you a ride!

The theoretical speed of an ice boat over ice is 4 to 5 times the speed of the prevailing winds.  So at 208 MPH to 260 MPH  I don't think the boat or any of us would survive.  I think 20 MPH wind speed is about the maximum.  Back in the early 1990s the Jack Frost,, our 50 ft 2,000 lb ice yacht with about 900 sq ft of sail, was clocked at about 91 MPH on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, on a 16 mile run down the length of the lake.  That's the fastest I know of .

Most of the time our speeds on the river are in the 40-50 MPH range tops. Not enough running room to attempt to go faster.

Edited by Jack12477

Lou, glad to see the weather has broken over your way. Snowed about an inch last night and cooled off to +20F. Nothing like Edmonton is getting. Michae,l I know what you mean, when I was in my 20s I worked at a gas station in Anchorage. It had been 50 below for a couple weeks and when it warmed up to 10 below everybody had to take off a layer.

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

Jack, I forgot you were one of those Snow Birds that flock TO the cold and then go outside to play in it! 

Yes, Lou, there are a few of us old fossils who do prefer to get outside in the crisp, clear, cold air with the warm sun beating down on us rather than being sequestered in an air conditioned room/lanai staring out at the beautiful sky when the heat index exceeds 100 F day after day after day.  ;)  At least when it is cold you can add another layer of insulated clothing, but when you're down to your BVDs you can't remove any more without getting arrested. :D

And, yes, the sun is warm this time of year. There have been many times when we have been on the ice where the sun is so warm that I can remove my jacket and gloves, when I am not actually sailing. 

4 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Yes, Lou, there are a few of us old fossils who do prefer to get outside in the crisp, clear, cold air with the warm sun beating down on us

I used to be of those old fossils before my life in a wheelchair began.  Nowadays I generally stay at home if there is ice or hard packed snow out there since snow tires aren't available for my chair.  However, I have still been known to bask in the sun from time to time in the middle of winter here if my deck or driveway is cleared of the snow and ice. 

Truthfully, I actually used to enjoy clearing my driveway and deck of snow and even a neighbors if they needed it done.  It was a welcome change from the winter doldrums where you couldn't work up a decent sweat!  As a mater of fact, in my first few winters in the chair (When I still had enough strength.) after snowfalls of less than four inches or so I used this wheeled snow plow/shovel to push the snow to the side and a regular shovel to clear the edges.  

100_5959.thumb.JPG.9f8c22763d239d919c9388ca76eab9b4.JPG

If the designer had been really thinking, he would have angled the blade to one side or the other so the snow would be pushed one side and leave just one side to clear up. (You know, like a regular plow on a truck, but then what do I know!)

100_5960.thumb.JPG.26e31560ed5e32d4972eb724c351af56.JPG         Maybe that was just a sign of my stubborn Swedish/Wisconsinite heritage rearing it's head.

Edited by BETAQDAVE

Our snow on the valley floor has melted which is pretty "normal"... falls, gets kids excited about sledding and then melts. But the rain continues here and snow continues in the mountains.  

Temperature at 7 AM this morning here in Hudson Valley was  7  F ,  yesterday's temperature at the same time of day was 8 F.   Forecast is for continued bitter cold with a possible nor'easter predicted for Sat-Sun.  Maybe we will have some iceboating by late Feb or early March :champagne-2:

Read in the Democrat & Chronicle (Rochester NY) newspaper that Rochester Snowiest city in NY State and possibly the nation.  Love those Lake Effect snows ! :D;)

Low 40's (8 C) this morning in Southern Florida.  Lowest I've seen here in my 2 1/2 years.  Bright and sunny though. 

The newspapers are warning us to watch out for iguanas falling out of trees!  Back to the mid-70's (24 C) tomorrow.

21xp-iguana1-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscaleA stunned iguana in Boca Raton, Fla., on Thursday.

26 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Lou, the Lguanas will be fine once the temp is up again.

Yeah the falling Iguana thing sounds so strange that it even made the news here. They explained that they had just gone to nappy time as being cold blooded they cannot function at that temperature. You mean they will be OK if something doesn't come along and consider them food, (There are gators in Florida right?) or they don't fall into the pool like the one almost did in the above picture, or just fall in a area where my wife might drive! I doubt she would ever see one, unless she was in the car when I'm driving!!!!!!!!! Then she would see it from a half a mile away!:angry:  I still can't help getting visions of people walking around minding their own business and being hit in the head with a four pound Iguana! I would almost be willing to pay to see that! 😈 I know, shame on me.

39 minutes ago, bruce d said:

Hand on heart, today the BBC weather forcaster was covering the story and just about kept a straight face when he said it was 'reptile dysfunction'.

Good job I had put my coffee down or I would be claiming a new keyboard

Michael

So, in a reversal of winter weather events, We here in Lewiston ID just across the Southeastern Washington State line had an unofficial High of 50F. along with that a lot of rain. Did yardwork all Monday morning till it started raining after lunch.   

One thing about driving when its 30 below is that snowpack is not very slippery. Fairly safe to drive on if you don't over brake.

On 1/22/2020 at 2:53 PM, bruce d said:

... the falling Iguana thing sounds so strange that it even made the news here.

The local news station here just ran this story last night before covering news on the impeachment hearings. Priorities?

Third day in row with beautiful weather. 

This in Centralia Wa, right between Seattle and Portland..

Day started on the cold side with fog.

But midday and afternoon gave me this.

Did I mention I feel so home in this area?

Love it! Give me rain and I  will be fine.

No more snow! 😀

And no more desert and sandy home.

20200210_144241.jpg

Edited by Nirvana

Very heavy snow went through here yesterday about noon for a couple of hours. Unfortunately, I was at the airport trying to get to Washington DC for my brother-in-law's burial at Arlington National Cemetery. Several flights to DC cancelled and I did not make it, very sad.

1 hour ago, Nirvana said:

Kind of nice having some humidity in the air and green in the trees isn't it? You will find that things other than lizards and bugs and snakes can survive outside in the summer over here also!

Welcome home

2 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Third day in row with beautiful weather. 

This in Centralia Wa, right between Seattle and Portland..

Day started on the cold side with fog.

But midday and afternoon gave me this.

Did I mention I feel so home in this area?

Love it! Give me rain and I  will be fine.

No more snow! 😀

We had that kind of day also.  First day in a long time with out fog, rain, etc.

After a prediction of a total of 1-3 inches of snow for last Wednesday, the weatherman came on again later the same day and said we would have a surprise of an additional 3-4 inches.

100_5994.thumb.JPG.d148b9e1e4f2832639ddedd9a96fb652.JPG

100_5996.thumb.JPG.feee0fc95aa05c108c9eb41d53897c7e.JPG     So our snowfall actually ended up being 8 inches of very wet snow.  How many other jobs are out there where you can be wrong most of the time and still have your job?  :piratetongueor4: (Jimi the groundhog comes to mind.)

A high pressure system has made a stop in Pacific Northwest area, providing WA, ID, MT and OR fantastic weather.

Some areas are experiencing lower temperatures during the night than normal due to the clear weather. Frost is expected as well. Current temp in my area is 40 but expecting high in 57.